Are you afraid of the future?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is quite literally no place like home

I have abandoned this sure metaphorical foothold for many years.
I have traveled extensively and lived in many different countries. I found many difficulties but I overcome them precisely because I decided to cut the umbilical cord that kept me tied to the concept of home.
It is an ideal that is very fashionable that of traditions and of the family. But its usefulness in our days only serves to sell local products and nothing else.

9 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Yeah I like to approach any discussion about the future with a sense of humour.  That way when the realization of just how royally screwed we all are starts to dawn on me at least I get to have a good chuckle about it before the mind numbing fear sets in!

If I can.
Pessimism you should fight as if it were something that does not belong to you.
Unless you live in an unstable country where you have to walk a kilometer to get a can of drinking water and run the risk of a missile falling on your house at any moment.

7 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I have traveled extensively and lived in many different countries. I found many difficulties but I overcome them precisely because I decided to cut the umbilical cord that kept me tied to the concept of home.

All of which had the same home comforts such as a breathable atmosphere which provided protection from lethal radiation, the availability of water, the ability to cultivate a source of food, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

All of which had the same home comforts such as a breathable atmosphere which provided protection from lethal radiation, the availability of water, the ability to cultivate a source of food, etc.

Astronauts living permanently in the ISS are constantly in danger of being burned by radiation and can only take a spacewalk when possible.
There are many studies that are addressing these difficulties and it is not unrealistic to think that they will be overcome.

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

If I can.
Pessimism you should fight as if it were something that does not belong to you.

As I said, I approach conversations like this with a sense of humour.  I'm not pessimistic, just comedically cynical. :P 

7 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Unless you live in an unstable country where you have to walk a kilometer to get a can of drinking water and run the risk of a missile falling on your house at any moment.

I would say those are the people that most need to try and stay optimistic, since pretty much all they have is the slim hope that things will somehow get better?

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Astronauts living permanently in the ISS are constantly in danger of being burned by radiation and can only take a spacewalk when possible.
There are many studies that are addressing these difficulties and it is not unrealistic to think that they will be overcome.

It's equally realistic to believe that they won't be.  You're allowed to have your optimistic flights of fancy, shouldn't I be equally entitled to laugh at my own darker vision of things to come?! ;)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I would say those are the people that most need to try and stay optimistic, since pretty much all they have is the slim hope that things will somehow get better?

The fact is, they can only hope for things to get better but they don't have a chance to make their life better.
For you and me, things are very different and when we feel depressed because maybe we read some bad news or we feel a bit of lag in inworld maybe we will have to think about who is worse off than us to understand that our depression is just a useless artifact built by some neurons of our awareness numbed by a lifestyle that perhaps we do not deserve.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes a report to his (Columbus') investors who had promised him lands and titles if his trip was successful as well as being in control of the purse strings to finance another trip. So in spite of the men and ship he lost as well as well as not really bringing back the gold and spices he had hoped to, he made the best of the situation and promised that the lands and natives were ripe for easy pickings. I think it is called creative writing

Columbus was accurate, not creative. His report on the West Indies began the conquest of the Americas. His, and similar reports by the other explorers I mentioned ignited the rise of the Spanish Empire, starting in... 1492.

13 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At this point it is pure conjecture the degree of challenge it would be on a new world.

Well, now it makes sense. The future of human exploration would seem pure conjecture to someone who sees the recorded history of it the same way.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is not for nothing that aliens don't visit us (Well except for the series Ancient Aliens maybe).
For us other environments are hostile, for them most likely ours.
And then there are the astronomical distances.

All environments are hostile to life. What doesn't kill life, makes it stronger.

@Tama Suki People are always curious about the future. Asking such a question in the SL environment draws lots of opinion but little actual thought or enlightenment.

If one has not considered how we got here and why... I think there is little hope of figuring out where we are going and why we might be going to wherever. But, you will here lots of opinions, of which most are based on what people think and our thinking is highly influenced by our personal natures. Those that are up beat and optimistic think we will colonize the stars. Those soaking up today's propaganda think humans are a virus destroying the universe and all will end in some dystopian disaster.

People truly interested in answering the big philosophical questions examine; history, religion, human nature & psychology, politics, and law. They look for the truth of issues and big questions.

I think the most you will get from your question is insight into the people answering your question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

killed when they were left behind by the natives.

You have conveniently left out the reasons why they were killed. 

He went on: "Invaders they were. They made slaves of the Indians, stole their wives. That's why the Indians killed the Santa María crew and burned La Navidad." 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-lost-fort-of-columbus-8026921/

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

People are always curious about the future. Asking such a question in the SL environment draws lots of opinion but little actual thought or enlightenment.

The only certainty I can have is that the people attending SL are human beings with a thinking brain like exactly me.
Perhaps bloggers believe they have some more faculties because they have learned to use a service outside this forum where they throw in the pile some links to monetize.

16 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

The only certainty I can have is that the people attending SL are human beings with a thinking brain like exactly me.
Perhaps bloggers believe they have some more faculties because they have learned to use a service outside this forum where they throw in the pile some links to monetize.

I think the idea of everyone having a brain is accurate. Assuming they THINK with it is a step too far.

2 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I think the idea of everyone having a brain is accurate. Assuming they THINK with it is a step too far.

Your opinion on who is speaking in this thread was quite clear to me, thanks anyway for having specified it more clearly.

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Columbus was accurate, not creative. His report on the West Indies began the conquest of the Americas. His, and similar reports by the other explorers I mentioned ignited the rise of the Spanish Empire, starting in... 1492.

Whether accurate or creative, his report had little to do with the challenges he faced in reaching and inhabiting the Bahamas.

Well, now it makes sense. The future of human exploration would seem pure conjecture to someone who sees the recorded history of it the same way.

Well yes, if you twist my words enough, you can manage to manufacture something to argue and win on. Yay you.

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

See above and also will point out that in spite of glowing reports, Columbus lost a ship, suffered death and disease and mutinies of his men, lost 39 of them, killed when they were left behind by the natives. There are going to be different challenges for sure but we simply do not know what they will be until we get there.

Had Columbus successfully explored the bottom of the Mariana Trench and lived to tell the tale, your analogy between his exploits and the possible colonization of other planets might be rather more to the point. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The topic and post in question was not about the full history of what happened but some of the resources I looked at was this video:

People from Croatia think they know more about First Nations history than First Nations people do? I don't think so.

Try getting the history from sources that know their own history and you should check your sources before posting links.

image.png.948b2f5e0c507d388f7b913afe075999.png

3 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Had Columbus successfully explored the bottom of the Mariana Trench and lived to tell the tale, your analogy between his exploits and the possible colonization of other planets might be rather more to the point. 

Right but part of the supposed fear for his voyage was the potential threat of falling off the edge of the world, so not much different from the Mariana trench. The colonization of other planets is highly likely to involve substantially more research finding one most suitable to be inhabited. We already have experience with the Moon and Mars on actually setting foot on other worlds were the potential dangers were known and prepared for so in some ways, less of a risk then Columbus's trip.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

People from Croatia think they know more about First Nations history than First Nations people do? I don't think so.

Try getting the history from sources that know their own history and you should check your sources before posting links.

image.png.948b2f5e0c507d388f7b913afe075999.png

Is this being offended for the sake of being offended or is there an actual point considering the topic is not about what Columbus did in relation to the natives?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.