What is Happening?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm afraid this can't be a long discussion here on the forums, but those who own or rent in themed communities ought to look at the map ASAP and see what is going on there.

I personally haven't figured out what I'm going to do about this. I don't have 6,840 tier etc.

I imagine ad farmers have that tier, however.

Chop Up.png

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Sad 2

Something like that happened near where I live.  Land owner sold off parcels for homes and kept 30' wide  strips between them.  Those strips were filled with foliage and "wildlife preserve, do not mow" signs.  Years later, the owner of the strips sold them all and the new owner razed all the signs and foliage, ran a scarifier over the strips and left the land bare and lumpy with piles dead and decaying flora and fauna near the roadways.

• Sad 3

On a personal note to whom it may concern: sometimes, depending on various circumstances, decisions have to be made already before official information can be announced. That being said, before more rumours and assumptions are spread the next time a change is going on at Campbell Coast*), I highly recommend to reach out to the people in charge first before another guessing game is started in the forums. This is a thumb of rule that should be considered not only for this community, but for any kind of SL project. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And here is the official statement of the Campbell Coast*) team to put on some light on "What is happening to Campbell Coast?"*):

*) Edit: The original title - as I quoted it before - as well as the start post included the name of the community, and the actual information about the concerned parcels. Just clarifying that before anyone assumes I would have shaken that from my sleeves out of nowhere. That is not the case.

Dear Campbell Coast community,

first of all, please do not panic! Campbell Coast will continue to remain but in a smaller version of itself in regard to land mass. We would like to inform you about the changes, and the reasoning behind it, as well as the current state of our work.

During the last 2 months, Winning and the team have put in their best effort to guarantee a financially stable community. We are very aware of the importance of Campbell Coast to its residents and the community overall. We were given a huge responsibility and leap of faith that we will continue it with the ambition to preserve its initial concept as best as possible. That is exactly what we aim for but we also have to be realistic. By evaluating the time it needs for managing the land, and the cost-benefit calculation as well, the decision was taken to scale down the land mass in order to preserve the heart of Campbell Coast, and what makes this place so special. Some of you may have noticed already that for this reason, certain parts in the hinterland of Campbell Coast at Durdane, Emyniad, Sunstream, Laserlight and Edge Walker are now up for sale. 

Campbell Coast will remain with all of Erazor, the roadside along the Circuit la Corse, and the current ground level & Village rentals. Our current projects and collaborations like the Corsica Tourist Center, The Ceilidh & Village and the Aerodrome will not be affected by these changes. Instead, we will continue to put our focus to build up the already started projects for the benefit of the community. In particular, this will mean more events, activities, projects and grid-wide collaborations, such as:
- concerts with live musicians of different genres, mainly at The Ceilidh
- (interactive) art exhibitions at different venues, e.g. the Village
- general (seasonal) events around Campbell Coast for the whole community & visitors
- supporting grid-wide travel & explore groups/events through the Corsica Tourist Center (=CTC)
- supporting Mainland preservation projects (also through the CTC)
- building up a vintage aviation network through the Aerodrome
- offering regular group travels (like we always and already did in the past, but with more focus)
- creating the new campbellcoast.com website to inform you about the latest news, current and upcoming events, and available rentals

As you can see, we have a lot on our schedule where the focus is not rentals nor land mass -- but YOU, the people and the community. That is our understanding of Campbell Coast's legacy, and we, the team, will all do our best to offer you a thriving place that you can call home, whether you are a resident or a visitor.

Additionally for your information, we want to let you know that any remaining parcel that is currently set to sale, will be abandoned on October 27. Also, the skydome rentals won't be offered anymore. If you are a skydome renter and would like to be relocated to a rental offer on ground level or at the Village, please reach out to Winning to figure out your options.

We thank you all for your ongoing support, and encourage you to reach out to us directly if you have any more questions regarding the changes, or the current and upcoming projects.

Best, 
your Campbell Coast team

Edited by Yukiko Yeshto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

On a personal note to whom it may concern: sometimes, depending on various circumstances, decisions have to be made already before official information can be announced. That being said, before more rumours and assumptions are spread the next time a change is going on at Campbell Coast, I highly recommend to reach out to the people in charge first before another guessing game is started in the forums. This is a thumb of rule that should be considered not only for this community, but for any kind of SL project. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And here is the official statement of the Campbell Coast team to put on some light on "What is happening to Campbell Coast?":

Sorry, but when I personally own land in a community because it was sold to the public -- but not any kind of member of the club that founded it, whatever their merits --  that was known to be a place where the easements would remain stable, I don't follow the prescription you are suggesting about "keeping it quiet." I describe it for what it was, and what it was long suspected (although I had doubted): a land baron is chopping up land he can't sell or rent, trying to force sales. The end. 

If you are in fact in good faith, you first go to all those neighbours who supported you, even if they aren't in your group, and say, hey, would you like to buy the easements or road directly surrounding your property? You don't put large swathes of land made up out of them out of reach on the open market. That's ridiculous. Unless you don't care who buys it for $1/meter.

So yes, I understand the formula: concentrate on the most valuable core, screw the hinterland. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, TT120 said:

Bummer.  I just bought a parcel right in the middle of all this....

Yes a number of people did, and since the notice says it will be abandoned in 5 days, I guess the prudent thing to do is either abandon or sell, or else wait and see if the Lindens will carve out smaller pieces of it around some parcels directly. That's what I will do, as I have a tenant there and have always had a rule not to sell out land from under a paying tenant,  and have rarely deviated from it, and if I was forced to, I provided that tenant compensation.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, TT120 said:

Bummer.  I just bought a parcel right in the middle of all this....

Me too!!! I bought two parcels right in the middle of it all. 

@Prokofy Neva I appriciate you bringing it up, otherwise I would have been stuck with mainland I invested in and couldn't really resell. I'm not in any group and I'm too new to the community to have seen any offical statements cause I don't even know where to look yet.

Hopefully someone will grab it from me before everything gets abandoned. :(

Edited by Feorie Frimon
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

On a personal note to whom it may concern: sometimes, depending on various circumstances, decisions have to be made already before official information can be announced. That being said, before more rumours and assumptions are spread the next time a change is going on at Campbell Coast, I highly recommend to reach out to the people in charge first before another guessing game is started in the forums. This is a thumb of rule that should be considered not only for this community, but for any kind of SL project. 

And here is the official statement of the Campbell Coast team to put on some light on "What is happening to Campbell Coast?":

Yukiko - I mean no offense here...but is there any way the people that own the land can put the parcels in a more realistic type of way so if someone wants to come buy it, they could buy more than just easements? I mean.. I'm really good at using weird shaped land...but some of these parcels are just swiss cheesed into long skinny lines. Could we join some of them and make them useable pieces? 

pic.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Yes a number of people did, and since the notice says it will be abandoned in 5 days, I guess the prudent thing to do is either abandon or sell, or else wait and see if the Lindens will carve out smaller pieces of it around some parcels directly. That's what I will do, as I have a tenant there and have always had a rule not to sell out land from under a paying tenant,  and have rarely deviated from it, and if I was forced to, I provided that tenant compensation.

I'm just going to wait it out as that 1 little parcel doesn't mean much to me in the grand scheme of things.  I bought it because I liked the area and the premise behind designing it and it was super cheap.  I guess I know why now.

There are a few landscaping issues on mine that is rubbing up against my OCD so if the area gets all jacked up and I have to re-do it, that's good for me.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

FWIW, I've bought and sold few parcels from/to him in the past. From my limited experience, he's really good about cutting up parcels if you ask nicely.

That's one of the most hilarious things I've heard in a long time! I personally don't go to people who cut up parcels unexpectedly to force a sale, then ask them to cut them into smaller pieces for me to bite out of, leaving other smaller pieces to their fates. No, that's not what you do in a situation like this if you care about the Mainland. 

This is not a discussion that can be had on the forums, nor can it be had with those in persistent delusion. So, see you in the ether.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

Yukiko, if you set a whole region for sale at the same time, sending out notifications, then people can understand what is going on.

But, if you just put random parcels for sale, then the people who got them face an ugly surprise when realising a couple of days later, that the surroundings and the allowance roads are going to be impacted....

And, if the people who have got those former parcel contact the CC team, to work together so the theme and landscape dont get ruined when putting new stuff... and the CC team doesnt say a word about their plans...

That is... a word I am not going to write in here because I would get some kind of ban... 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Selling airplanes in flight just before they run out of fuel at high altitudes?

Exactly. The parcels I bought were even named Campbell Coast Lot numbers and had descriptions that they were part of the community. 

It was a pretty shady sale - and that’s coming from someone who sells parcels to residents daily.

Edited by Feorie Frimon
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Sorry, but when I personally own land in a community because it was sold to the public -- but not any kind of member of the club that founded it, whatever their merits --  that was known to be a place where the easements would remain stable, I don't follow the prescription you are suggesting about "keeping it quiet." I describe it for what it was, and what it was long suspected (although I had doubted): a land baron is chopping up land he can't sell or rent, trying to force sales. The end. 

If you are in fact in good faith, you first go to all those neighbours who supported you, even if they aren't in your group, and say, hey, would you like to buy the easements or road directly surrounding your property? You don't put large swathes of land made up out of them out of reach on the open market. That's ridiculous. Unless you don't care who buys it for $1/meter.

So yes, I understand the formula: concentrate on the most valuable core, screw the hinterland. 

As someone with land in the now discarded hinterland I don’t feel much like a valued member of the community. Screwed is the correct term to use.

• Like 7

On 10/22/2021 at 6:45 PM, Feorie Frimon said:

Exactly. The parcels I bought were even named Campbell Coast Lot numbers and had descriptions that they were part of the community. 

It was a pretty shady sale - and that’s coming from someone who sells parcels to residents daily.

Hmmmmmmmm...just brainstorming...maybe the concerned citizens of Campbell Coast could form their own group, abandon or sell their parcels en masse, donate their tier to the group, find an entire region for sale (or a huge tract of Abandoned Land), have someone buy the land for the group, then figure out how to divy it up among the members.  That would at least keep the community together.  I dunno...again, just brainstorming.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Hmmmmmmmm...just brainstorming...maybe the concerned citizens of Campbell Coast could form their own group, abandon or sell their parcels en masse, donate their tier to the group, find an entire region for sale (or a huge tract of Abandoned Land), have someone buy the land for the group, then figure out how to divy it up among the members.  That would at least keep the community together.  I dunno...again, just brainstorming.

I wish them luck. I put my parcels up for sale and they were promptly purchased by said land owner and offered up for rent. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 4

In another thread:

On 10/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, Mar Scarmon said:

If you would seriously be interested in a cave style house come and take a look at Mount Campion Caves National Forest and send me a notecard if you would like me to add a cave house or two off the cave system there.  Maybe give me some idea what you would like in a cave house.   We have the largest natural cave system in second life.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Spinach/115/93/268

Marz (Mar Scarmon)

So maybe THAT'S where the Campbell Coast folks should all move to?  Since both spots are on multi-regional mountainous terrain?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I had my land in the hinterland for sale at a good price for awhile as I was suspicious of what was going to happen but no takers. I logged on yesterday to see many parcels around me, including those little strips of buffer land were being sold at abandoned land prices. I’ve abandoned my land now. I can take the loss & I’m moving on. I bought into the community because I believed in their vision but the vision is now gone with no consultation, no warning & no thought for the people it would effect. As someone who believes strongly in the mainland this hurts but I also know it’s SL & nothing is ever set in stone. The continued selling of land labelled Campbell Coast when it no longer is though is deceptive & gives me no faith in the new owner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that @Tamara Adored

I had just returned to Campbell Coast and bought some land when the whole situation was revealed. I really loved my parcel, and all the landscaping, I even was welcomed by a member of the CC team , and the day after, the whole Durdane region was set up for sale... Too weird... and sad...

I guess I've been lucky because thanks to a lovely lady who warned me, I set up my land for sale and it just got sold. The sad part is that the new owner has returned absolutely everything, impacting part of the river and forest around...

The way they are dealing this is far from being nice and clear

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

I used to rent in Durdane and when I heard about the sale I was very sad. I've just purchased another parcel across the road in Emyniad, not the same one I rented before (that one is already sold and with banlines up) but I'm keeping my landscaping in the spirit of Campbell Coast. It will be sad to see all of Kitty's beautiful work disappear, all the roads and footpaths and little streams between properties. We'll be little islands in a network of bare terrain. But I will stay, at least for a while. 

15_164s.thumb.jpg.91cc26511bd534b1d5f89bf7b75a109e.jpg

All that you see here, except for the dirt track and the trees in the far background, is my landscaping and will stay.

• Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.