What is Happening?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have performed at Campbell Coast. I have exhibited there. I have attended events there. I’ve had tons of friends I hung out with there. It’s really sad to see what has happened. But I think all of us should be thankful to BJoyful and Doc Rast for what they created for us. Campbell Coast was something truly special. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

I have performed at Campbell Coast. I have exhibited there. I have attended events there. I’ve had tons of friends I hung out with there. It’s really sad to see what has happened. But I think all of us should be thankful to BJoyful and Doc Rast for what they created for us. Campbell Coast was something truly special. 

Agreed. I was a fairly frequent visitor and even performed there a few times but after a few group meetings with the new owner I lost hope for CC. I had a parcel I couldn’t build on because of how it was landscaped and wanted to trade/sell for another location of the same square footage and was referred to something that was massive, and massively expensive, and then I was ignored. 

Yeah. I’m the one who put a big yellow prim up with a greta head on it. And yeah I returned the horrible landscaping I couldn’t build on. Not my fault other stuff was linked to it. Also put up a massive for sale prim that went waaaaay up in the sky. If they didn’t ignore me or said hey, I don’t have anything to trade but I’ll buy it, or tell me to just sell it for whatever to whoever, fine but at least respond ffs. 

I miss what CC was before they ruined it. 

• Sad 1

Well, nothing is ever as bad as it seems; remember people are dying in Syria in real life. It can and does get worse in SL, and not only from land barons.

CC actually still looks very nice, in fact, but you do have to be a prudent land manager and learn how to "take off volume" in the advanced menu and turn on property lines and property owners and see some of the problems underneath.

Karly, actually "all the paths and roads" aren't abandoned. One very large chunk of them was purchased by an end user who seems to be dedicated to the community, I don't know her, I feel bad she had to eat 6800 m of thin, long parcels but maybe she can use the prims. Yes, other parts are abandoned, and in large chunks, which does leave open the grim possibility that someone might request that abandoned land, get it, and then sell it to the highest bidder. Or the opposite, sell it for a very low price and invite ad farmers.

Lindens do not get involved in resident disputes and won't arbitrate matters like this; we can only hope that none of them with OCD who like to "tidy up abandoned land on sims" will bundle the entire long snake of this mess and put it on the auctions as a snake. I once thought that impossible; I don't any more, after the last auction.

We decided to ask them to cut off little 128 bits at least around our lots to then add prims to our lots. Then, since they haven't dumped off Kitten's landscaping yet, to set the landscaping to the CC group and be done with it, except for possibly putting in little patches if needed. The road, while adjacent, is on the next sim over, so it's not justified to request even in a chunk around our group land.  Maybe someone in thos sims will? The last tenant fled, so this will become either "Prokofy's Autumn Home" (it began seemingly a century ago as "Prokofy's Spring Home") if it doesn't rent out in a reasonable time, and Prokofy's other autumn home will go on the block. It's only pixels.

I do want to keep it simply as a testimony to BJoyful's original vision and the considerable efforts of herself and her partners. It really was a grand idea. Even if it fills up with malls and castles and GTFOs and every known annoyance under the sun, there will be that wee bit of the auld sod there with my shrunk 8f8 cottage (really reduces its prims, and you can still walk into it) -- and I believe an archipelago of others with the same vision/memory.

Long ago and far away in another galaxy, I had this vision myself of a planned but open community; I commissioned builders; I parceled squares; I sold them together with their houses (that was a new feature at the time); I commissioned a great designer and landscaper to make a large park; I had a mixture of commerce, residential and hangout -- etc. etc. etc. 

Then came this infamous thread and everything that ensued -- it's well worth reading as a long read, even with its 16 year vintage, because every single issue present then is still present now, and the only difference is the names. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Actually, a big difference is that I kept my experiment as a newbie to one sim, and brought in builders, friends etc that in fact I had known in another world and others I trusted for an original group, then put it on the open market, but with the willingness to buy back from the get-go as the solution to any crisis. To read the forums today, you would think this rich and complex experiment of 2004, which lasted some four years (really less than one with its original vision, however) was reduced to a squabble about whether I gave people ban perms. Originally, since they bought and owned their land, that wasn't the issue; they had them as owners. They put in ban lines and orbs though that was not in the covenant. Later, I bought back some of the land and rented it because the owners would not agree to a "covenant" and on the Mainland, it couldn't really be enforced after a "sale" as it can on islands. I did give them ban perms of course -- how could you not on the Mainland???  I wasn't interested in spending my life in the virtual version of a co-op council meeting, those are notoriously awful.

Bit by bit I was buying it back; but then some clever oldbies who thought they weren't griefers bought several parcels and did several things: chopped them into 16 m squares to be taken over by people who also styled themselves as not-griefers; somehow the end result was two parcels in the hands of the worst griefing groups -- who, as I always pointed out, were only one degree of separation from the Lindens' favourite contractors and friends and eventual employees I called the FIC (the term was born in that thread).

There were two differences with my experiment, however:

1. I was the original "land baron" hoping that eventually a community would arise where I could simply exit and only manage some basic park maintenance and occasional dispute resolution -- it wasn't that a group of community minded people then got the land baron to rescue them. It was a rentals concept  without a brutal profit motive or the usual SL ugliness, but it didn't pretend to be an artists' colony. (The successful art sims I see around SL are usually run by one very strong-minded and strong-willed man, with one or several very loyal and subservient women -- you know, like real life. They aren't run by committee and generally they don't combine art shows/sales with rentals; when they do, they aren't successful.)

2. I kept it to one sim - I couldn't afford more. Back in those days, that sim cost me US $1,501 on the auction (!). Imagine that. You could get 10 sims for that now, not to mention several islands. So it was not US $109 abandoned, as they cost now; not $8000 on Blake; not $500 on some deal with another resident; $1,501 *paid to the Lindens* (there were hardly any islands then; there was no p2p and I had to fly a very hard 1,000 meters from Waterhead to get to my land, as did my customers. To be sure, I had to "buy the view" 4 other sims, but at least that was done slowly, parcel by parcel, and cheaply for the most part.

When something is that expensive, boy, you value it. I spent years wresting it back from the griefers who bought it from the bien pensant forums harpies who pretended they weren't griefers who got it on the open market. That's why for years, it had a giant refrigerator with Gor medicines for sale and a giant Soviet palace as a base from which to harass me. Amazingly, other people bought or rented waterfront and hillside and roadside and simply ignored these miscreants even in the days when there was no de-render. I also benefited from an amazing act of kindness. Finally after many ARs, protests, suffering, many long stories, the ugly builds and the instigators behind them were removed from SL because I was far from the only one they griefed. Or they got tired of the boredom of harassing someone because they criticized their bad forums behaviour, and set it to sale.

Today it's an ordinary sim with ordinary renters filling the nice waterfront and some people in the cottages although they aren't all filled because people don't want to live so close together.

Trust me, if we look at this impartially, we see the greatest success of the CC saga now in our immediate term is to force people to move to Bellisseria if they want to live in a planned, themed community with activities -- the Lindens won this round, that's for sure. It's an object lesson they can point to as one that doesn't work.

If some CC core keeps it going with their own money around their own interests of music or art or aerodromes, great! They may get out of the land sales/rental business, or may not. They may have to let go another sim they shouldn't have taken on -- or not. 

There's another few communities out there who quietly sell parcels and keep infrastructure around them, and maybe it's a good thing they aren't on a coast, as that's a conflict vector. Land sale/rent communities on the Mainland as non-profit collectives generally don't work or die very slow deaths; for-profit communities with some vision or theme also tend to end in tears. There are "lessons learned" but it's important to remember who benefits from this most of all -- not land barons, but Lindens. It's Their World and it was Our Imagination that it was otherwise. That doesn't mean people won't go on doing these projects (I keep trying on a very low scale) but this is the fact of life. Private islands or Bellisseria -- the Mainland at best is only the disc in the View-Master of the pod system when someone feels like slumming it and risking a tour.

• Like 1

I'm drawing a different lesson here and I'm trying very hard here to stay a reasonable observer and avoid attacking some people who have attacked me. It's hard sometimes, but attacking others isn't what I'm about and I don't want to get myself in trouble either. 🙂 But the lesson I see here is that you can be about community. Or you can be about money. It's very difficult to do both.

To me, Campbell Coast was about the people. The community. BJoy and Doc had made a point of inviting in creatives and people that they thought would make it a more desirable place and basically sponsored them to be there because the people made it a more valuable contribution to the grid and a place where more people would want to be. The result of this was to create a place where you could come and just expect to have a good time. We had goofy, eccentric events like Bingo 'n' Beans. And if people came to Campbell Coast, they quickly found out they were coming to a fun, happy place where they'd laugh a lot. It was a lot like the early days of Bellisseria when everyone and anyone wanted to be part of Bellisseria specifically because of the fun and the sense of community. In fact, it was a lot of the same people, including a certain evil cat.

When ownership changed, Campbell Coast became about money above all. There's nothing morally wrong with making money. But it meant a lot of people left. Many of those silly events were terminated. People who had been invited in because their presence would be a draw to others suddenly found themselves treated like unimportant folks. Just another source of Lindens in someone's pocket. Lots of hard feelings were created very quickly. This turned love into pain and a source of conflict. People with connections among one another and to the place quit. That meant the end of the community. The hard feelings meant that what had been a joy was turned into a wound and a source of conflict. I know for a fact that friendships have ended among people who found themselves on opposite sides of turning Campbell Coast into a for profit venue. And when the people left and the joy turned to a wound, Campbell Coast was basically dead. Sure the build might exist. The name was still on the regions. But the people, the community, and everything else that made it what it was had ended.

When people got hurt by Campbell Coast, they stopped loving it. And that's bad for business and for making profit because all those people who were walking out the door were the customers and the people who created a reason for customers to pay to be there.

What replaced it seems to have been just another club and shopping mall like many that populate the grid. What made it special? What made it different? Nothing that I can see. There are plenty of nice builds, frankly. And the lack of something to make it different from every other place just like it is also not good for business. It leaves customers with no reason to choose *this* business over any other.

I know a lot of people say that it *had* to become about money because no one would pay for it. Yet there are people who have taken over parts of the original at their own expense. I know there are a lot of people who will pay big bucks to keep community spots open for the good of the rest of the grid because I've been one such person for a long time. So when you tell me that such people do not exist, you are telling me that I don't exist. 

Moreover, there are middle grounds where people could have been asked to help pay more of the cost without going all out full land baron stereotype.

I think this is the beginning of the end of Campbell Coast. Soon there will be little or nothing that remains. As a person who loved Campbell Coast, that makes me sad. But . . . well . . . I think many of us saw that coming. I'm not sure what to do with the Campbell Coast Museum I set up either. I set it up as a tribute to BJoy and Doc, but some people have chosen to see it as something else and it has sustained attacks as a result, as have I. Those attacks are another example of how love turns to pain and ruins what something was meant to be.

All things considered, it's just a sad thing to see happen. Campbell Coast is a real loss to the entire grid. 

(Full disclosure: I was one of those creatives and community people who was asked to be part of it. After the ownership change, I was asked to stay, but to pay a nominal rent. I was there to support BJoy, Doc, and my other friends. I'd have happily paid BJoy and Doc ten times more than I was asked to pay after the ownership change and had offered to do so. But I wasn't interested in being a part of someone's commercial, profit-making project, and especially not in having my art used that way.). 

• Like 4

The problem with artists and creative people in general is that basically at root they think commerce is crass, in poor taste, ugly, and generally the province of greedy, grasping land barons. And then they get their wish, because they couldn't take the financial cost of "it's all about the people" seriously.

Unless you found this lovely bunch each to put in a minimum of 1024 and more like 4096 each and pledge to sustain it indefinitely, you did not have a solid base. Either one person puts in the tier and money and attracts the others who are "the rich content" as developers call such artistic people and their creations, or you have a group of enthusiasts at least willing to pony up $7 or $13 or $67 per month. That is what is required beyond the $11.99 premium.

Somebody has to pay for the roads and easements. Those were in 2800 or 6400 or 12000+ chunks last time I checked. I requested some of them and will try to request a bit more but I can't be like the kind soul that took on 6800. That kind soul might get tired of this situation living next to lumpy grass everywhere instead of Kitten's nice landscaping as was there before. It's not feasible to ask people who already bought land to buy more or for the founders to hold easements for people that are in the "hinterlands" and not "the core of the group" (see "The Group is Its Own Worst Enemy" by Clay Shirky, a theory important to understand, but which I also critique; the core is the enemy of the group, too.

I just strolled around CC tonight, looked at Nessie, bought a few paintings (some are even out for $0, imagine, or just for a tip of some kind), and I wouldn't say that it's true that "a lot of people" left but some crucial people did leave, and understandably. It isn't fair to claim it is "just another shopping mall and club" -- believe me, I know the difference as I put ads in these clubs for my rentals and shop at those malls. I recently joined the CC group hoping to get at least $46 for my troubles once I saw they had used THAT group to put land to sale LOL and it was going to distribute to 248 people lol. Somebody must have woken up to that or bought it in-house because I haven't gotten the $46 yet although groups will distribute tomorrow.  The point is, they are always posting events and seem to be busy and happy enough -- it's not a shopping type group but more cultural. The galleries in the sky seemed to have emptied out nearly completely, but now they have slowly filled up, I don't know whether on rent or commission. 

I don't care for land barons as a rule and I'm not one -- I don't buy and sell land except under duress to "save the view" for my existing rentals or to experiment with a new community on some God-forsaken old abandoned sim in the hinterlands. Like it or not, just like the Vanderbilts or the Rockefellers or Dick Ravitch (who finally got his "liquidity event" selling our vast housing complex to some entity in Texas that says our rental disputes now have jurisdiction there and not in NYC) are the forces that make our cities in RL and they have their SL equivalents who ultimately have to be thanked, and compelled to become more scrupulous. I find one small way of doing this is to buy bargain-basement "Blake Seaview" land and put in tenants who have 180 horses and many sick cats : ).

I don't own Blake Sea land; this extremely cheap "Blake Seaview" is currently involved in a 3D chess game involving various barons racing to the bottom to stay at the top, essentially (selling land for 0.2/m which makes it vulnerable to blight, holding back some of it to extort with, and staying at the top of the land-for-sale list). I don't see any of that at all happening in or around CC. You just have no idea how bad it can get out there.

The new CC owner in my view could not possibly have taken on CC as some kind of money-maker -- even with radical renovation and restructuring it can't do that. It's Mainland, for Christ's sake. It's not Blake Sea. It's not even Sea of Fables. It's nice, but there are a lot of competitors, chief of which is Patch Linden who doesn't have these problems, you know? He is not worrying how he can tier his affordances and keep full occupancy -- he has people refreshing pages waiting to get in.

I think people take on these Mainland projects for a variety of notions -- loss leaders, reputational laundering, "fun," building networks of people who might rent luxury rentals some day, whatever. I find it all pretty hazy. I have been ploughing the dirt of Mainland, mainly the rocky New England coast of Sansara, for 17 years, and if it weren't for gatcha houses and Scarlet's $75 weekend sales, etc. I wouldn't be able to change from my 2004 builds. CC houses are actually very expensive to buy. I don't see how ANY activity on the Mainland can be characterized as some kind of "investment" or "money-making enterprise". Note that the people into it the most live in the COVID-ridden poor countries of Eastern Europe and Russia.

There is no reason why you can't have a themed community with a business component to pay the bills, yet it "has to be" crass and "grubbing," with "business in a box" strewn around to encourage cheap sales. It can be tasteful but you have to work strenuously at it. People have to be willing not to put $100 in a tip jar but put in 1024 m2 or pay $500 to artists per painting or buy $1500 houses to put out.

I think you should keep the Museum open. Museums are really important in SL. The victors already write all the history and too often they are the losers of RL.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The problem with artists and creative people in general is that basically at root they think commerce is crass, in poor taste, ugly, and generally the province of greedy, grasping land barons. And then they get their wish, because they couldn't take the financial cost of "it's all about the people" seriously.

Come on. I gave you a pass on the blatant sexism last time around. Seriously? You're writing this to one of those "artists and creative people in general" who has spent the last few years as a funding source for two major airports on the grid, among other things? Who do you think has been paying for that? Not the land barons. Me. Out of my own pockets. Apparently I can't take "the financial cost of 'it's all about the people' seriously" because I . . . have paid hundreds per month in tier costs and land rental fees to keep these places going so that people in SL could use them. 

Sounds like there's some learning to be done about the "artists and creative people in general". Apparently we creative types who pay the bills do know something about the money end of things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

Come on. I gave you a pass on the blatant sexism last time around. Seriously? You're writing this to one of those "artists and creative people in general" who has spent the last few years as a funding source for two major airports on the grid, among other things? Who do you think has been paying for that? Not the land barons. Me. Out of my own pockets. Apparently I can't take "the financial cost of 'it's all about the people' seriously" because I . . . have paid hundreds per month in tier costs and land rental fees to keep these places going so that people in SL could use them. 

Sounds like there's some learning to be done about the "artists and creative people in general". Apparently we creative types who pay the bills do know something about the money end of things. 

Not getting the "blatant sexism" claim and I'm having a generic conversation that you somehow believe applies to you personally -- but whatever. I'm well aware that some artists contributed but you're just taking a generic statement that is true, and thinking your name is addressed on it, and therefore it is false.

Perhaps you could think about artists who sell paintings frequently for $500 or $1000 but found it impossible to pay $150 a week rent, which is very cheap. Most galleries charge way more than that.

No, you've just made my point for me. People have to put in their own money. They have to spend hundreds of dollars a month in tier to keep them going. You did that. Others did. But not everyone there, and it's not enough.

You alone cannot tier 6 sims in a place like CC and no one expects you to do that. Not even 3 sims -- and it costs more than tier as you know. And that's what happens -- a few loyal souls very dedicated to the cause put in a lot of time, treasure, and talent but it's not enough, people use and abuse them, they don't contribute themselves, they don't appreciate it, and then they burn out and quit and then the land is put to abandoned on 12,000 m of roads (the end result, which you aren't responsible for).

I just bought part of one of those roads -- 1,536 of land that can't produce any revenue (hey, I already tier hundreds of thousands of meters of parks and recreation sites so I can't keep adding forever, you know?) That's 1000L per month (US $4.00) for the tier on bulk discount, and it cost US $6.14 to buy. It seems trivial but this sort of thing ads up quickly. Do you think people will hit the tip jar and cover that 1000L per month? No. Will I ever make this back somehow in rentals there? No. Is this worth me spending US $10 now instead of buying groceries? No, of course not, but I also want my land to rent and my tenants to have a decent road next to the property, there being no Linden roads.

Should I put in a ban for that neighbour next to me that has "no access" and makes it annoying for us to fly around my properties (which I don't want to dump to land barons that caused this or abandon to enable land barons to buy for $1, either, you know). I could ban him from reaching the road, and then he'll feel like all of us do in the hinterlands right now, like the village of Pleasantville with 6-year-old Anthony Fremont, boy terror genius, in charge.

No, I don't do that sort of thing. If you make a thoroughfare, you make a thoroughfare. I think's it's instructive for people to understand what it costs. 

PS Just as an aside, how do you make airports pay for themselves??? After all, people can fly in air you can't rent, and land on Linden land or even any land for that matter that doesn't have "object entry" blocked. I just got a great pilot's outfit. I don't have an airplane; the only thing I have is Baba Yaga's Mortar and Pestle which flies (which I made) but the scripts are kind of rinky-dink and it's hard to control. How much to rent a berth for a flying vehicle like that?

Currently, a certain much-maligned (and for good reason) land baron is tiering 137,000 square meters in the main community group, or 2.09 sims (plus the group bonus it generates), which is US $365 each month -- and this is AFTER a lot of roads, easements, community areas were hastily and shoddily shed. The "body" of this community still putting on live music and poetry and having BBB stamps and doing all those other lovely things while it is being *paid for* by *one person who comes up with US $365 each month) (or more; I'm just telling you what I can see in the open group I can join). Sure, maybe people pay into a kitty although they don't pay a Kitty, but the bottom line is: no one artist or even six artists paid for this, or it would still exist. I have non-profit and revenue-generating and loss-making properties so believe me, I know the difference among them, and can't personally see anything wrong with a formula of commerce generating revenue to cover non-profit activity. I do that myself. The original founders and owners rented out properties above their tier to LL to cover costs. Again, commerce is not inherently evil and PS there is no fortune to be made from even coastal hard-scrabble Mainland.

If you weren't paying US $365 every month for this experience, saying you spent "hundreds" and did all these things isn't enough, regardless of your merits. And we all saw the rentals math and balances provided by the founder which claimed it took home a profit -- not that some hard-pressed artist paid for it all every month. Huh? Also: no one can convince me that airports are a good thing in a world where we can fly, or that you can even cover tier with them.

It's not about you and your altruism; it's about how much things cost. It ought to be enough in the world of virtuality; it isn't. Some of my tenants looking at these kinds of stories say, oh, evil land barons, oh, evil Lindens, charging all that money for servers. OK, but you can also say oh, evil artists who can't grasp what things really cost and fly into rage fits if you point out what they do cost and that somebody, like it or not, assumed those costs and has to do this forever or it dies. I wish they were cheaper; others who wish this more ardently are in Open Sim. I wish people were more decent; they aren't.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hoot  Iam Owl if you ever had anything to do with Campbell Coast you know who I am .

I helped Bjoy and Doc turn their land into their vision and Kitty Mills Built it. Kitty and I are still at Campbell Coast and own land there due to loving the community and believe it or not Communities evolve . yes imagine that people have to pay tier some folks left some stayed some were angry, some continued what they always have in my case hosting Artists  and Musicians events and contributing to my community.

Campbell Coast is still here it has evolved and many people now own parts of it.The Village of art galleries in the sky is still there yes with less artists  but ya know free vs renting even when cheap. Ck has quite a few spots of art and community builds at Campbell Coast. Kitty Mills has continued landscaping the multiple regions, Bijoux keeps the harbor rezz area at Emyiad open for folks to use. sailing to over 600 sims, she also has boat slips for rent. Stone henge is still here hosted by my friend lark. My self and a lot of my friends own land in Campbell Coast me from the first time Bjoy closed it due to her health and was gonna sell in August of 2020. The Aerodrome is still hosting mainland tours bu Yukiko and plane hanger slips. Recently Cranston joined his Redwood forest and Cheddarman caves to CC up by the Aerodrome with yay The Glastonbelli stage area like the one from Glastonbelli the event Bjoy Doc and I did at the Belli fairgrounds (Ariesx3) June of 2020. . Catori joined her land and shares her castles with us. Ravenglass rentals has a sweet road connecting things and Soul built Eatonville an African-American Museum. New things are coming and going keeping Campbell Coast alive huge and sprawling with many many things to explore and do.

Anyway My Point is Campbell Coast is still here it has a diverse community with a lot of folks involved, the land is owned by many and I suppose I am responding to this thread due to wow people have a lot of opinions lol  anyway come by and check out Campbell Coast and its many attractions or don't come enjoy the art and music events or don't.

Either way Enjoy your sl 

Those of us who love Campbell Coast have put in a lot of time and energy your welcome to come visit.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/14742520@N23/pool/

Nessi at Campbell Coast.jpg

Edited by Owl Dragonash
misspelled
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Owl Dragonash said:

Hoot  Iam Owl if you ever had anything to do with Campbell Coast you know who I am .

I helped Bjoy and Doc turn their land into their vision and Kitty Mills Built it. Kitty and I are still at Campbell Coast and own land there due to loving the community and believe it or not Communities evolve . yes imagine that people have to pay tier some folks left some stayed some were angry, some continued what they always have in my case hosting Artists  and Musicians events and contributing to my community.

Campbell Coast is still here it has evolved and many people now own parts of it.The Village of art galleries in the sky is still there yes with less artists  but ya know free vs renting even when cheap. Ck has quite a few spots of art and community builds at Campbell Coast. Kitty Mills has continued landscaping the multiple regions, Bijoux keeps the harbor rezz area at Emyiad open for folks to use. sailing to over 600 sims, she also has boat slips for rent. Stone henge is still here hosted by my friend lark. My self and a lot of my friends own land in Campbell Coast me from the first time Bjoy closed it due to her health and was gonna sell in August of 2020. The Aerodrome is still hosting mainland tours bu Yukiko and plane hanger slips. Recently Cranston joined his Redwood forest and Cheddarman caves to CC up by the Aerodrome with yay The Glastonbelli stage area like the one from Glastonbelli the event Bjoy Doc and I did at the Belli fairgrounds (Ariesx3) June of 2020. . Catori joined her land and shares her castles with us. Ravenglass rentals has a sweet road connecting things and Soul built Eatonville an African-American Museum. New things are coming and going keeping Campbell Coast alive huge and sprawling with many many things to explore and do.

Anyway My Point is Campbell Coast is still here it has a diverse community with a lot of folks involved, the land is owned by many and I suppose I am responding to this thread due to wow people have a lot of opinions lol  anyway come by and check out Campbell Coast and its many attractions or don't come enjoy the art and music events or don't.

Either way Enjoy your sl 

Those of us who love Campbell Coast have put in a lot of time and energy your welcome to come visit.

I’m actually gonna swing by and do a video there - any landmarks worth mentioning that are still there? 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Owl Dragonash said:

It's unfortunate and sad how many people who loved Campbell Coast, who put a lot of time and energy into making it what it was are now not even acknowledged and are sometimes dismissed as a bunch of freeloaders. I think that much of what drives some of the ongoing tension about Campbell Coast is a simple disagreement over what Campbell Coast is.

Is it the place? Well, that still exists. The land is there. It's still named "Campbell Coast."

Is it the community? The vibe? The arts? Well, in that case, like you said:

18 hours ago, Owl Dragonash said:

The Village of art galleries in the sky is still there yes with less artists  but ya know free vs renting even when cheap.

Fewer artists. Many performers gone. Many of the quirky characters who made the place what it was now gone, including people who were asked to stay. And I think that dissing those people because as just not wanting to pay cheap rent is disrespectful to them and dishonest. I think we both know that many would have paid much more if things they valued were preserved.

As you say, "communities evolve." That's only natural. But change makes for . . . well, change. Things are no longer what they once were. People come and go. The spirit of the place changes. And if you were a part of it because you loved the people and the community spirit and the art, then something has been lost.

The loss doesn't just show up by people being, as you say, "angry" or moving on. It shows up in the vacant galleries. It shows in that Campbell Coast is now a much smaller "huge and sprawling" area than it once was. And it shows in threads on the community forums like this one in which people are sad because they see something being lost. And I guess it would not be shrinking if it had continued to draw as many people who were willing to donate their time and--yes--their money.

I suppose it's equally possible that some people have gained something by the changes. After all, if it does draw a different crowd, then it stands to reason that the people who come as part of that different crowd must feel like they have something to gain by being there. 

In fairness, I think the fact that people do feel like something is lost is quite a compliment to what BJoy, Doc, Owl, and Kitty did in the first place. I hope they can recognize the fact that they did something good and that people appreciated and valued it. If no one valued it, no one would be sad now. 

(I guess that I have to make a potential conflict of interest disclosure here so that my words can be properly judged: I was asked to stay with my photo gallery and my DJ show, but I declined to do it. As I made clear at the time, I was not willing to stay at a low price. I was not willing to stay for free. I was not willing to stay even if they paid me to stay. I had offered to pay the previous ownership multiple times, but I just didn't want to be a part of what I saw coming.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I’m actually gonna swing by and do a video there - any landmarks worth mentioning that are still there? 

CAMPBELL COAST - INFORMATION NOTECARD

- General Info
- Start Locations
- Grid-wide travels & collaborations
- Events & Arts & Culture
- Exploring Campbell Coast
- Cafes, Bars & Restaurants
- Activities
- Rez Zones
- Residential & commercial renting
- Links

-----------------
GENERAL INFO
-----------------
The place
Campbell Coast is a residential community in a rural scottish coastal themed setting, reaching into various regions on Mainland. It offers a lot of sites to visit and explore around and up the hills, and along the shores. Travellers can arrive or continue their journey by land, sea or air thanks to the direct connection to Circuit La Corse, the nearby docks at Emyniad Harbor and Novatron Port, and the Aerodrome. Rentals are available for private or business purposes as well as at different heights, either on ground or up in the sky in a multiscene skybox, or the Village, as well as hangars and tie-downs at the Aerodrome.

The community
Many tenants and landowners at Campbell Coast are in one or more ways involved in projects and events around the grid, and share a high interest in creativity. Weekly and one-time events are hosted on location, or visited together, such as the events at The Village, The Loch, fishing contests, sailing or horseback riding trips, music parties for different occasions, and many more. People interested in hosting an event are welcome to get in touch with the team members in charge. 

The visitors
Everyone is welcome to join the events, or explore the area and the different venues located around Campbell Coast. 
You will find horse or hanging glider rezzers, sliders, or can take a ride with the cable cars.
Private homes, of course, are not meant to be invaded. Please show common courtesy 🙂
To stay up to date with the community, visitors are welcome to join the group.
Group URL: secondlife:///app/group/e2fe3233-e4b6-f780-9b19-2466a8aba778/about

---------------------
START LOCATIONS
---------------------
You have various options to start your tour at Campbell Coast. Arrive by Teleport, or travel over by arriving on/at the
- Roadway: 􀀥 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/54/47/66 
- Aerodrome: 􀀖 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/214/172/153
- Ports: 􀀚 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Emyniad/144/26/22
           􀀡 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/134/42/23

You can find general information about Campbell Coast and the team at the Campbell Coast Welcome Center.
􀀟 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/214/172/153

------------------------------------------------
GRID-WIDE TRAVELS & COLLABORATIONS
------------------------------------------------
At Campbell Coast, we have the aim to bring various exploration groups and projects together.

EXPLORING mainland has found its central point at the Corsica Tourist Center. 
We collaborate with such projects as Forever Tourist, Drivers of SL, Leeward Crusing Club (LCC), the Mainland Tour project and more.
􀀗 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/87/235/66 

GRID-WIDE TRIPS such as sailing tours are regularly hosted on Thursdays by Eulennest & Pier 7.
􀀒 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/178/91/701 
Exploration tours around various continents is offered by the Mainland Tour project once a month on Saturdays.
􀀪 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/82/223/66

VINTAGE AVIATION NETWORK is a project that is currently built up at the Aerodrome. It is supposed to be an info hub to bring vintage and retro inspired airports/-fields, aviators, aviation groups or even themed museums together. Themed gridflights in cooperation with the collaborating airports will also be hosted in the future.
􀀨 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/208/154/153

EXPLORING Bellisseria (Linden Homes continent connected to Mainland) is offered through the Bellisserian Bureau of Bureaucracy and their Bellisserian Embassy Corsica.
􀀩 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Emyniad/177/89/26

--------------------------------
EVENTS & ARTS & CULTURE
--------------------------------
EVENTS are announced all around the area on the event calendars, and especially at the Welcome Center as well as the Campbell Coast group.
Additional Online Event Calendar: https://throughowlseye.com/events/
􀀝 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/214/172/153

LIVE MUSIC & GENERAL EVENTS such as community meetings are hosted at The Ceilidh, a venue with a stage and a bar.
􀀔 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/140/52/2002

MUSIC is the key to your heart? Every weekend, The Loch at The Loch Village hosts the Saturday Fest with hours of various DJs. 
􀀦 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Today/193/49/2507

ART galleries and exhibitions can be found at various spots around the area.
􀀕 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/115/95/2002 
􀀎 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/214/58/30
􀀏 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Emyniad/167/39/26
􀀍 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/236/23/44

BOOKS and reading are your passion? Drop by Books & Coffee. 
The books are clickable and link to interesting blogs, or books published about SL, or to works by RL authors who are active SL residents.
􀀤 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/147/26/40 

WEEKLY FISHING CONTEST is hosted every Monday at Eulennest (Owl's Nest).
􀀬 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/178/91/701 

----------------------------------
EXPLORING CAMPBELL COAST
----------------------------------
All around the Campbell Coast Area, you can find teleporters. 
This list includes also a few additional spots to explore.
􀀜 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Laserlight/60/70/66 
􀀘 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/172/191/153
􀀀 //     http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sevenfold/223/228/191
 The Cheddar Man Caves were put in GlastonBelli as a nod to a popular Somerset, England tourist destination, but with a silly twist that makes it a unique destination, with an interconnected internal and external train system called The GlastonBelli CheddarWorx.

􀀞 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/167/57/48 
􀀛 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/139/93/65 // There are hidden castle rooms in the ruins, however, you have to find the entrances. Try to spot them yourselves if you are up for an adventure. However, they are really well hidden so before you get too frustrated, here is help to the 3 hidden entrances:
        􀀠 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/144/63/49
        􀀢 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/132/67/65
        􀀣 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/39/170/65

-----------------------------------
CAFES, BARS & RESTAURANTS
-----------------------------------
All around the area of Campbell Coast, you can find picnic sites, pavillon & cabin cafés, food & bar trailers, or snacks at camp fires.

􀀌 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/128/51/23 
􀀋 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/215/51/30
􀀃 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/156/14/41
􀀆 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/156/32/2002

------------
ACTIVITIES
------------
Horseback riding
􀀇 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/39/252/661/218/169 
􀀈 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/146/107/103
􀀉 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Emyniad/233/44/37
􀀊 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Laserlight/58/68/66

Hang Gliding
􀀭 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/170/184/152 
􀀯 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Laserlight/94/35/64

Hoover Scooter
􀀅 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/119/194/65 

Zip Ropes
􀀁 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/168/185/152 

Boating & Surfboarding
􀀂 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Edge Walker/27/214/168 

􀀮
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/179/76/23 

Gaming
􀀧 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Emyniad/221/170/45 

--------------
REZ ZONES
--------------
For road vehicles:
􀀐 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/55/29/65 

For water vehicles:
􀀫 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Emyniad/144/26/22 
􀀑 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novatron/174/89/21

For aircraft vehicles:
􀀄 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/213/194/153 

-------------------------------------------
RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL RENTING 
-------------------------------------------
All currently available homes, shops & galleries, hangars & tie-downs can be found at the Region Office.
􀀙 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/214/172/153
- Information about available spots to rent or buy, residential or commercial. Some store buildings are also located along the LL road "Circuit La Course".
- Event Calendar: The events are free and open to everyone.

You can either rent or even purchase a plot on ground level, rent a multiscene skybox, or rent a town house in the Village.
􀀓 // http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/68/144/2002

------
LINKS
------
Campbell Coast Inworld Group: secondlife:///app/group/e2fe3233-e4b6-f780-9b19-2466a8aba778/about
https://www.facebook.com/CampbellCoast 

Campbell Coast

Online Event Calendar: https://throughowlseye.com/events/

• Like 7

New on Campbell coast:

Eatonville Living History Museum
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Durdane/102/17/51 
-----

Introduction
---
Welcome to Eatonville, a living, interactive museum paying homage to the strength and beauty of the African-American diaspora through an examination of popular Black Literature. The museum is designed as a recreation of a fictional, incorporated Black 'Freedom Town' in the South, with historical information placed throughout the grounds for an interactive experience. Eatonville invites you to visit the town and discover the history of the area, diving into pivotal works of Black literature at a time of reclaimed freedom and hope. At the end of the walking tour, visit Shug Avery's jook joint for a 'living' performance of one of Shug's favorite songs. 

We hope you enjoy your visit at Eatonville Living History Museum!

Background
---
The Eatonville Living History Museum was created by Soull Starlight (formerly soulsofree resident) in 2021, to pay homage to the strength and beauty of the African American experience through an examination of pivotal Black literature and life in a Freedom Town. 

One of Soul's favorite books and a representation of the freedom experienced during this time is "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston. In the museum you'll find soundbites from the movie adaptation, as well as a representation of the general store as portrayed in the book and movie. Other literary works featured include "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd, "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker, and more, and can be accessed by walking around the town. 

The Eatonville Living History Museum seeks to represent the hope and reserve of the African American community, and to pay respect for the trailblazers and forward thinkers who pushed for equality and freedom during times of great change. The museum serves as a snapshot of life as it were for those who lived in a Freedom Town, and includes education that shares portraits of lives, both real and fictional. 

Visiting The Museum
---

The Eatonville Living History Museum is located in Campbell Coast, a community on the mainland continent of Corsica as a part of the Campbell Coast Artist collective. You can visit the museum at: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Durdane/102/17/51

Event and Meeting Space
---

The Eatonville Living History Museum is open to members of the Campbell Coast community for social and learning events. Please contact Soull Starlight to reserve the space and gain access rights. 

• Like 4

On 11/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, Owl Dragonash said:

Either way Enjoy your sl 

It's great you have kept this unique community going with others' help. Before you all diverge off into the mists of unreality again, however, it's worth pointing things out that are generically applicable on the Mainland. Obviously we can't tell you how to run your business even with a small stake in it. But I apply these ideals to myself, for example, as once again I go into a sim that was abandoned and all re-sold or auctioned, and I find a stranger from across the globe on the Internet who is now my virtual neighbour, and who wants to cooperate on that sim -- an accident of fate -- and we try to do this in various ways, helping each other informally, even if not making some formal organization. 

1. Had you warned all the people you encouraged to buy land very cheap when you were bailing out that you were going to be forced to abandon the roads and easements (this was stated in your group messages but not everyone joined the group), you would have had less angst and drama. And by the simple act of offering those existing buyers the purchase of just the easements around them and parts of road, or by seeking coherent road support, you would have also saved a lot of angst. On some sims where I have properties, the other land holders IM me and ask me if I want their land before they abandon it; and I do the same, selling it for the same $1/m they would have to pay the Lindens. Especially when now anything goes with the rush of auctions and large "bundles," this act of courtesy seems VITAL to prevent bad will and lost opportunities.

2. You are still reliant on the good will and successful business of one large land baron holding a lot of tier and trying to rent out the various properties to cover his outlay (let's not even consider any investment because I gather there hasn't been much of one although of course there are purchases of buildings, scripts etc). There's nothing like 100% occupancy and likely never will be -- that's the reality of Mainland. So plan accordingly.

3. Your concerts are not held in the area of Campbell Coast, but on a set of islands where the builds have been cloned. This is one of the odder concepts I've seen in SL and the argument that "you need to have greater sim capacity" doesn't wash, given that there are seldom more than a few AFK DJs and AFK dancers and a handful of CC residents at these events -- they aren't live performers. Maybe you get more for live performers, but never enough to overflow a sim. So it seems reasonable to suggest that you put the music back into your community, especially since the Glastonbelli stage is merged now. PS one has to hope the philanthropist there remains healthy and his other businesses cover the costs of that entire sim because tipjars from stamp explorers, let's say, aren't going to cut it. By having concerts in your actual branded location, you tie the events more firmly to the community, people tip more there, and also people looking at the map see green dots on a Mainland venue and come there, not in the sea of islands with no geographic contiguity. Someone at the concert cams out and sees all the other things to do. This is hard to keep together when it's all off campus.

4. There's nothing wrong with asking artists who sell paintings to pay a modest rent, and if it is a hardship you could canvas the membership to see if anyone would sponsor an artist's rent. Something I've found very curious is that the kiosks with the teleporters don't have "Artists" or "Art Galleries" as an option on them -- none of them, all over the area. Since that is the core value of the community, that seems vital to put on explicitly, i.e. "the Village" sounds like home rentals, not displays of art. I realize you are under construction but I have been living and working in CC for months now since the new management, and am happy to go to the galleries and buy paintings, and each time I hunt around, the kiosks do not have "Teleport to Galleries" and I have to fish in my folders for LMs which are outdated now.

5. If people making comments about their self-sacrifice and donations of time, talent, and treasure (tier and cash) to the community are not putting ALL of that in CC, but in fact make it for airports or other venues in *other* communities, then -- it's worth exactly that. And I'll step first into that line of folks who need to put themselves into perspective. While it might seem preposterous in our little virtual setting, people who use the "Campbell Coast" brand in their advertising of any business not in the core community could be charged an annual feel, like a membership in a condo or apartment complex club in RL. And if CC, Inc. does not charge such a thing, which might be impossible to enforce and collect, than those of us who enjoy that branding should be tipping accordingly in all the jars.

6. I realize now that you have sold off the "hinterland" as we are called, you can't control everything about it, but it might be worth asking some of the residents if they can whitelist their neighbours at least in their security orbs, or even consider putting them in the sky only. Especially if they are right near the funicular. But thank God your long-time neighbours are now tiering that area, eh?

I'll stop because it's not my business, but I just think it's worth pointing out these factors. Good will is precious -- in real life, "good will" is a measurable economic value that is part of a business and sold along with it. And as has already been said, when it's gone and gone.

I own 5,136 m2 in the "hinterland" which is exactly US $13.71 in discounted tier, which I expect to make back in rent and tips,  and I pay another owner $400L mo for a rental (US $1.60, yes, she's undercharging).

So my expectation of gratitude for my support has to be in line with that amount -- the equivalent of 3 Grande Caramel Brulée Crème lattes per month (US $4.45 per). Three. Not counting the tip. That's not counting any paintings I buy which might add up to...1000L or US $4.00 per month? Throw in almost another latte.

You need 25 more people to give up their lattes and support this excellent community.

"I'd say, stay on the mainland; the idea of clustering and the magic spell of working with your neighbors is just a great appeal. If I were doing things in SL, that is what I'd do - on the mainland."

Philip Linden
Town Hall
July 7, 2006

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 6

@Prokofy Neva You make some excellent suggestions and points here most of which would be Winnings call, If you don't mind I will Copy this and pass it along to him. I don't actually see the Loch coming back to CC however Ck & I have been hosting Live Music at The Ceilidh in the Village , Emyiad Harbor has been having awesome Art events and @Cranston Yordstorm has been starting to do events at The Glastonbelli pyramid. There is room for anyone in the community to host an event I am happy to help get your event going on.Your Point about Art Galleries on the tp kiosks is a great one I am sure we can make that happen. 

As far as ban lines etc go I can help write up a notecard we can send to folks who do that and see if we can get them on board. I mean realistically a security orb with a reasonable eject will work just as well and not inhibit folks movement through and around Campbell Coast.

oops back to work Rl here

• Like 2

It is certainly possible to include art galleries on the teleporters, but in each of the teleporters there is also a notecard in the blue button that displays all the important landmarks and all the information I have posted here above. The teleporters are certainly not comprehensive, there are too many interesting points on Campbell coast worth visiting. But it is right to bring this up. Sometimes you are a bit blind ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

"I'd say, stay on the mainland; the idea of clustering and the magic spell of working with your neighbors is just a great appeal. If I were doing things in SL, that is what I'd do - on the mainland."

Philip Linden
Town Hall
July 7, 2006

I love this and that you quoted it, @Prokofy Neva

Side bar, but I really wish I could find another Linden that felt like that too. ❤️

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.