Need some photography advice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Ah, I didn't consider the processing speed. Why make it harder on the computer than it needs to be?
This one I think was 6000 on the larger size. What size do you normally post at?
Do you buy backgrounds on SL? I saw now that a lot of pose makers use a "set" to go with their poses. I wondered if those worked well..

I post images typically at or around the 2048 x 2048 range, I halve the height for wide images. I use props from my inventory, or set a prim either with an image or with bumpiness enabled for backgrounds. I use a sky platform for most of my work to keep backgrounds as bare as possible when I want a good sky view.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Interesting! I like the background and dog better, but something about the blue cast to her skin highlights throws me off a bit. This process does make the pic look less sharp which I love. Thanks for taking the time!

well starting with a low rezz jpg not gonna get a whole lot out of it and with that, only spent 5 min in any case. Mainly lowered contrast and exposure, then a couple automated processes add in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

For some reason, the articles (they were old so maybe that's why) didn't want SL shadows and basically said if you needed any, you could add them yourself in post processing..old info?
So if you're doing closeups, setting a lower draw is better?

Any picture that is basically just your avatar can be done with a draw of 32.  This will keep you running better while having the rest of your graphics up high.  The last 2 pics on my Flickr were done with ultra graphics, lod at 1.5 and draw at 32.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

beautifully lit! Are the petals in world or added later. Love that! I'd like to postpone BD for a while till I'm comfortable with firestorm after so long though..

The petals are a part of the poses and backdrop set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

I have a pretty good graphics card and a considerable amount of Ram so not too much of an issue..

One of the main differences between your OP shot and the one you admire (the website wouldn't open for me -- just did the twirly thing for too long) is the shadows.  Do you have shadows ON?  If you do your light setting is such that you can't tell.  I have made one of those for myself for building and it is handy but not all that impressive for photos.  So work on your shadow look and that "Personal Lighting" area for EEP now that we don't have Windlight.

And yes that article you read was likely very old :D.  There was a long time when I couldn't use shadows. 

The picture you admire is also using DOF well and that takes some practice also AND it is backlit for the most part with it appears some vignette shading going on.  Very nice composition. I wish she would have left a bit of background by the topknot of her hair (or cut it off purposefully). That exact meeting is called a "tangent" and draws the eye to places where we don't want it LOL.  I do that too now and then but not purposefully LOL. 

Anyway have fun.  I know that have have probably 20,000 hours in after thirteen years and almost 6000 posts on JUST my main blog -- so a lot of what you see people doing didn't come instantly . We all keep learning and of course both software, hardware and viewers keep improving to make us "better".  And not everyone that does a lot of photography uses Black Dragon. It has its following and that is well-deserved, but it isn't a necessity.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

well starting with a low rezz jpg not gonna get a whole lot out of it and with that, only spent 5 min in any case. Mainly lowered contrast and exposure, then a couple automated processes add in

Definitely true..I have a similar program plus Photoshop, will have to play around. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I post images typically at or around the 2048 x 2048 range, I halve the height for wide images. I use props from my inventory, or set a prim either with an image or with bumpiness enabled for backgrounds. I use a sky platform for most of my work to keep backgrounds as bare as possible when I want a good sky view.

great tips! Being in the sky like that would definitely keep things to a minimum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Any picture that is basically just your avatar can be done with a draw of 32.  This will keep you running better while having the rest of your graphics up high.  The last 2 pics on my Flickr were done with ultra graphics, lod at 1.5 and draw at 32.

Last as in recent? Skullingtown?  LOVE your lighting.Your adorable gal just pops out of the page even in darker light.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

One of the main differences between your OP shot and the one you admire (the website wouldn't open for me -- just did the twirly thing for too long) is the shadows.  Do you have shadows ON?  If you do your light setting is such that you can't tell.  I have made one of those for myself for building and it is handy but not all that impressive for photos.  So work on your shadow look and that "Personal Lighting" area for EEP now that we don't have Windlight.

And yes that article you read was likely very old :D.  There was a long time when I couldn't use shadows. 

The picture you admire is also using DOF well and that takes some practice also AND it is backlit for the most part with it appears some vignette shading going on.  Very nice composition. I wish she would have left a bit of background by the topknot of her hair (or cut it off purposefully). That exact meeting is called a "tangent" and draws the eye to places where we don't want it LOL.  I do that too now and then but not purposefully LOL. 

Anyway have fun.  I know that have have probably 20,000 hours in after thirteen years and almost 6000 posts on JUST my main blog -- so a lot of what you see people doing didn't come instantly . We all keep learning and of course both software, hardware and viewers keep improving to make us "better".  And not everyone that does a lot of photography uses Black Dragon. It has its following and that is well-deserved, but it isn't a necessity.    

It's good to get the updated perspective from someone who has taken bunches of pics and has learned the system. I'll work on my lighting/shadows and DOF, What's your blog? I'd love to see your pics-something to aim for..lol. I do enjoy exploring and taking pics though!

44 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

It's good to get the updated perspective from someone who has taken bunches of pics and has learned the system. I'll work on my lighting/shadows and DOF, What's your blog? I'd love to see your pics-something to aim for..lol. I do enjoy exploring and taking pics though!

There is a link in my footer if you see those. We aren't supposed to talk about our blogs here :D but we can put the link in the footer OR you can type my name into Google and you will find it pretty easily.  HAVE FUN!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

For some reason, the articles (they were old so maybe that's why) didn't want SL shadows and basically said if you needed any, you could add them yourself in post processing..old info?
So if you're doing closeups, setting a lower draw is better?

When searching in either Google or YouTube you can specify a date range. Look at the last year, then last 2, then 3.... easiest way to find newer tutorials.

For Draw Distance (DD) use what gives you the background you want. For closeups change the camera's focal length, Ctrl-8 for wider angles, panoramas, and fish-eye closeups. Use Ctrl-0 for narrow angle telephoto which is BEST for low distortion close up work. Use Ctrl-9 to return the camera to its default zoom (50mm).

I don't consider the computer or performance when putting together a shot. I know people with really old computes that shoot Ultra-graphics and long DD That pull their system down to 2 or 3 FPS. But they get great images. I, and I think they, use graphics presets for changing their camera to and from a performance setting for setting up the shot to a quality setting for the actual camera snap.

3 hours ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Ah, I didn't consider the processing speed. Why make it harder on the computer than it needs to be?
This one I think was 6000 on the larger size. What size do you normally post at?
Do you buy backgrounds on SL? I saw now that a lot of pose makers use a "set" to go with their poses. I wondered if those worked well..

I shoot most of my images at 3,000px wide and whatever high from the standard ratio.

Images uploaded to SL are limited to a max of 1024x1024. Flickr lets you upload whatever size you want. I suspect SL and game images are some of the smaller images on Flickr. I tend to upload 1024 and 2028px wide images on Flickr, which is probably just some OCD on my part. Then I can grab whatever size image I need for a post. Click Flickr's download for the image then select View All Sizes. Then pick a size and right click the image to copy the image link. That link can then be posted in the SL Forum to display the image without a file size restriction. If you examine the images on the SL Forum you'll find a number of them are hosted on Flickr.

When you down size an image and use DOF you must plan for the downsizing and increase the DOF blur beyond what looks right. Downsizing tends to sharpen the image which removes some or all of DOF effect. I tend to add my DOF effect in Photoshop where I can see what I am doing in real-time and easily tweak it.

There are places with backgrounds on display. Some of those places allow you to use them for SL photography at no cost. Search in-world for backgrounds. How well they work depends on your imagination when putting the shot together.

Some of us use green-screen shots and then insert a background we like. Like:

50894969556_60d1d57486_w.jpg

When using a green-screen in SL use a freeze frame to lock the avatar in place. This will allow you to take a COLOR shot and Depth Map shot. The depth map can be used to mask out the avatar. Green screen does present some color-cast issues. So the SL backgrounds are often an easier and simpler choice, plus everything can be done in the viewer. Otherwise you get into post production work in Photoshop.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

There is a link in my footer if you see those. We aren't supposed to talk about our blogs here :D but we can put the link in the footer OR you can type my name into Google and you will find it pretty easily.  HAVE FUN!!!!!

No, for some reason no footer..but I think I found your blog. You're EVERYWHERE-I'm impressed! 😁

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

When searching in either Google or YouTube you can specify a date range. Look at the last year, then last 2, then 3.... easiest way to find newer tutorials.

For Draw Distance (DD) use what gives you the background you want. For closeups change the camera's focal length, Ctrl-8 for wider angles, panoramas, and fish-eye closeups. Use Ctrl-0 for narrow angle telephoto which is BEST for low distortion close up work. Use Ctrl-9 to return the camera to its default zoom (50mm).

I don't consider the computer or performance when putting together a shot. I know people with really old computes that shoot Ultra-graphics and long DD That pull their system down to 2 or 3 FPS. But they get great images. I, and I think they, use graphics presets for changing their camera to and from a performance setting for setting up the shot to a quality setting for the actual camera snap.

I shoot most of my images at 3,000px wide and whatever high from the standard ratio.

Images uploaded to SL are limited to a max of 1024x1024. Flickr lets you upload whatever size you want. I suspect SL and game images are some of the smaller images on Flickr. I tend to upload 1024 and 2028px wide images on Flickr, which is probably just some OCD on my part. Then I can grab whatever size image I need for a post. Click Flickr's download for the image then select View All Sizes. Then pick a size and right click the image to copy the image link. That link can then be posted in the SL Forum to display the image without a file size restriction. If you examine the images on the SL Forum you'll find a number of them are hosted on Flickr.

When you down size an image and use DOF you must plan for the downsizing and increase the DOF blur beyond what looks right. Downsizing tends to sharpen the image which removes some or all of DOF effect. I tend to add my DOF effect in Photoshop where I can see what I am doing in real-time and easily tweak it.

There are places with backgrounds on display. Some of those places allow you to use them for SL photography at no cost. Search in-world for backgrounds. How well they work depends on your imagination when putting the shot together.

Some of us use green-screen shots and then insert a background we like. Like:

50894969556_60d1d57486_w.jpg

When using a green-screen in SL use a freeze frame to lock the avatar in place. This will allow you to take a COLOR shot and Depth Map shot. The depth map can be used to mask out the avatar. Green screen does present some color-cast issues. So the SL backgrounds are often an easier and simpler choice, plus everything can be done in the viewer. Otherwise you get into post production work in Photoshop.

wow, so much good info here. I don't know why I until today had no idea that you could search Youtube with dates. DOH!
Thank you so much for talking the time to write all this! I need to digest now!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I also do DOF (depth of field)for an effect.

I've seen a lot of that kind of lazy 'DOF vignette' effect lately on Flickr, it looks absolutely awful. Better to leave it out than to ruin a picture with it, IMHO. 

• Like 2

Frankly... I like the first version of the original pic the best. 

The first edit with the muted colors has a beautiful effect on the background and the dog, but it doesn't flatter the avatar.  Like, the make-up turns out too orange in the cheeks. That doesn't suit the natural lightning the photo is supposed to have.
The other two edits come across as way over the top. The "DOF vignette" is much too strong, it almost makes one think that the viewer suffered from a stroke or something limiting their eyesight. The other... well: it seems too much of too much. And suddenly, the dog is yellow-green.

The only detail that bothers me overall is that the grass bleeds through the left boot, but well.

• Like 1

I've already made tutorials on how to use depth maps and how to use the in-viewer DOF (and why I prefer the depth map), but even if you don't have one (because you forgot to take it, or because you shot a candid mid-AO and can't replicate the precise picture again to render the map), you can easily draw one using the picture itself as a guide. Just ask what you want in focus and what you don't want in focus; or rather, what's the focal point and how much depth do you want in the image?

21b680bf2ca36d81275e41e1cafff395.png

That took something like 90 seconds to draw, using only the image itself as a template.

cb598e43a77eb1779df577d344fd4fbe.gif

And that's the effect of using it as a mask for a blurred version of the image.

Other than that, it doesn't feel as if the picture actually 'needs' much. What kind of colour temperature you end up using is very much down to personal taste, and as I'm not a fan of warm, vivid colours, I lowered the temperature a little bit. Other than that, a simple crop and despeckle, as well as making the pupil a little more defined with a few clicks with a 1-pixel pencil at 30% opacity:

d2ee252a58cef369ea1af2573004d717.jpg

All in all, it didn't take much time at all (roughly 5 minutes) - but that's me doing my routine (minus a few things which I felt would conflict too much with the original picture). 

In the end, what you do in editing is entirely up to one's individual aesthetic preferences. Learning how to use Gimp (or PS if you're a maniac) isn't terribly difficult, there's plenty of tutorials around for both basic picture cleanup and for doing various effects, and once you've learned how to use the editor the process is (generally) quite quick. Unless you want to start going overboard with the artistic stuff.

dd1e5595bbf9667c634d1c3383eb5dbc.gif

Want to paint or copy-paste 'realistic' angelic wings and devil horns, and make it rain with every surface deflecting water drops? Paint in a boyfriend? Graft on skin sampled from an RL model? Those are the sort of things that can take a while to get right.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.