Smoking: Influencing vs Programmability

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

Because the topic is about smoking. Not about alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. Save those topics for a different discussion. Not everything needs to be brought up all at once, that just creates chaos. Better to address one thing at a time.

Why? so we can say the same thing in a multiple threads?  Also, highlighting stuff doesn't make it any more important. 

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

k, punkin...

that's very patronizing of you. lol 

Edited by Catrie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The norm is to substitute with another addiction.

I've seen no proof this is true.

I did read how the sense of taste improves after ceasing smoking, and this was hypothesized as the reason some people eat more and gain weight after stopping. But only some people do.

I think you're still running with the "addictive personality" myth.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd certainly bat an eye.

No way would I paint destructive images....unless, like I said, it was a dystopian painting.

I see pictures of shrooms in your MP and I am getting triggered! Better get rid of them if you want to be free from the taint of destructive images.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

This was just supposed to be a discussion about the influence of smoking, and just smoking. I smoke IRL and still posted a picture of my character smoking a joint in the avatar thread, despite what we are talking about. *shrugs* I don't advocate for censorship and never will. But I won't deny that what people portray (including myself) can't influence someone in some way. Everyone should still obviously take accountability for their own actions, I know I do. And I'll never disagree with that.

While you might not advocate for censorship, the comment that all of this was based on did imply that people should self-censor and not post pictures with smoking in them because of how it might influence someone.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Catrie said:

Why? so we can say the same thing in a multiple threads?  Also, highlighting stuff doesn't make it any more important. 

I don't care what you think of my highlighting? And I made it very clear as to why.

1 minute ago, Catrie said:

that's very adult of you. lol 

And it was also very adult of Rowan to say "dear?" Women say that to be sassy, which she is obviously being. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd certainly bat an eye.

No way would I paint destructive images....unless, like I said, it was a dystopian painting.

I see pictures of shrooms in your MP and I am getting triggered! Better get rid of them if you want to be free from the taint of destructive images.

What's wrong with mushrooms?  I think I have a fairy ring made with mushrooms and ferns.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

did you miss where she called me "dear"?  funny how you miss things when someone is on "your side".

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Pay attention, dear.

We are dancing back and forth between RL and SL on this thread.

Her response 4 hours ago was to me specifically.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

the comment that all of this was based on did imply that people should self-censor and not post pictures with smoking in them because of how it might influence someone.

Yes, that's what he believes...that it's better not to glamorize something that kills 500,000 people in the U.S. each year.   It's what I believe too.

And?

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

While you might not advocate for censorship, the comment that all of this was based on did imply that people should self-censor and not post pictures with smoking in them because of how it might influence someone.

That is not what was implied, that was what you and others wrongfully assumed. It was just a question. That is all it was.

Lol, ughhh....

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What's wrong with mushrooms?  I think I have a fairy ring made with mushrooms and ferns.

They look a lot like magic mushrooms. 

img.jpg

Those are poisonous mushrooms, not psychedelic ones, and a very common portrayal of mushrooms I might add...red with the little white dots on top.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Context please.

I know it's difficult, but do try and make a better effort...

If someone said that to me I'd probably have a smartassed comeback to it, too. Deliberately insulting someone's intelligence is deliberately provoking that person.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

did you miss where she called me "dear"?  funny how you miss things when someone is on "your side".

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Pay attention, dear.

We are dancing back and forth between RL and SL on this thread.

oh honey, please stop. 

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If someone said that to me I'd probably have a smartassed comeback to it, too. Deliberately insulting someone's intelligence is deliberately provoking that person.

You so easily devolve into trashing a person instead of sticking to the topic. And trying to join with one person against another.

Sigh.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

That is not what was implied, that was what you and others wrongfully assumed.

Are you another alt of the person that made the original comment?  If not, how do you know that your interpretation is the correct one?'

The comment I am talking about:

the question is the cumulative effects of multiple people doing it, and do we want to be a part of that?

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/405992-how-does-your-avatar-look-today/?do=findComment&comment=2356136

To me, that implies that we should self-censor and not post such pictures.

• Like 1

Oh. so now we're taking sides here? Nope. I don't play that game.  I was pointing out the hypocrisy of the person who originally started the original discussion and how smoking is where the line seems to be drawn.  Especially since the original post in this thread states " The question isn’t so much should the creative use of smoking in an artistic image be restricted, as whether the audience here is so programmable we should infringe on the artist’s freedom of expression? " 

I bolded that part, because it clearly leads the question further.   It's not just about smoking, it's about everything else as well.

All I'm getting, when asking why the other vices aren't covered is "Because."  "Because" isn't a valid answer.  It's what a parent tells a 5 year old when they want candy right before bedtime. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Those are poisonous mushrooms, not psychedelic ones, and a very common portrayal of mushrooms I might add...red with the little white dots on top.

So even worse but in any case, to someone wanting psilocybin, any mushroom can trigger the craving for more. 

Can it?  Do you have personal experience with this?

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think I'm being bullied.  OMG, I hope she doesn't come to my rescue!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, xLunaea said:

That is what Nalates said. Not Ayeeleon. And still that is a question. That everyone, including me, disagreed with.

Nalates opened this thread and thus provided the topic of this thread.  Yes, it is based on the comments by Ayeeleon, but for THIS THREAD, the topic is as stated by Nalates -- which takes the topic further than just "is smoking in a picture okay?"

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.