How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

Posted (edited)

Enjoying the new exhibits at the welcome hub 🥰

Snapshot_182.thumb.jpg.b93429e3f03d22e68a7bc0f880d788ed.jpg

Snapshot_183.thumb.jpg.7eadceb493a3969c53ad78ac246f22c2.jpg

I used to check every day for them to open some more, but then gave up after a while because LL seemed to have their hands full with other things.  Thankfully, after logging in I checked again today and saw a few more have been added since I last visited.

Snapshot_184.thumb.jpg.74b0a72015ffbad683642dc59e78e505.jpg

It is like a mini SLB :D  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 15

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I have often wondered through the years, if artistic style is due to the limitations of the artist, or deliberate. For instance, could the Egyptians have created realistic perspective? Would they have wanted to?  Did the materials they had at hand dictate what was possible? 

Van Gogh and Picasso, for example, could paint in a style considered "realism",  and then went on to drastically different concepts. It's clear it was deliberate on their parts to depart from "realism", and try something different. But going back further in history, does anyone really know? 

Oh. these thoughts also often cross my mind. And as long as nothing has been found to indicate how conscious the people of the ancient cultures were of the style they used or whether it is a result of the limitations they had at the time we won't know. And maybe that's just as well. I actually like that some things remain a mystery. All we do know is that the ancient Greeks and Romans clearly used more anatomical knowledge and knowledge of perspective than the people of the Middle Ages much later. Knowledge that only burgeoned again in the Renaissance.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I have often wondered through the years, if artistic style is due to the limitations of the artist, or deliberate. For instance, could the Egyptians have created realistic perspective? Would they have wanted to?  Did the materials they had at hand dictate what was possible? 

Van Gogh and Picasso, for example, could paint in a style considered "realism",  and then went on to drastically different concepts. It's clear it was deliberate on their parts to depart from "realism", and try something different. But going back further in history, does anyone really know? 

Often the artists who produce more modern impressionist paintings, will talk about the spirit of the thing they are painting, and suggest that their version expresses that spirit better than a precise realistic version was. I think the ancients were more in tune with that spirit than we are today, and so thier art may have been intended primarily to capture that spirit rather than an exact photo like image that they may have felt no need for. Often there is a great amount of symbolic meaning in the ways that ancient images deviate from pure realism, suggesting that realism was not thier goal. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BillFletcher said:

Often the artists who produce more modern impressionist paintings, will talk about the spirit of the thing they are painting, and suggest that their version expresses that spirit better than a precise realistic version was. I think the ancients were more in tune with that spirit than we are today, and so thier art may have been intended primarily to capture that spirit rather than an exact photo like image that they may have felt no need for. Often there is a great amount of symbolic meaning in the ways that ancient images deviate from pure realism, suggesting that realism was not thier goal. 

That is so true, I can totally relate to that. It IS a matter of capturing the spirit. After all, a picture is just a picture when it lacks that spirit.

Fortunately, there are still people today who want to get in touch with their inner spirit (without getting too floaty). I don't know if it's getting too 'off topic' by now, but in music, an example for me is the Scandinavian-German group Heilung who go back to their Nordic roots in lyrics but also in feeling and spirit, all the way to the Iron Age and further back. Just look them up on YouTube, especially the live concerts are almost a kind of ritual that - if I'm too much in my head - can definitely bring me back down to earth and let me 'ground myself' completely.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, archangel969 said:

That is so true, I can totally relate to that. It IS a matter of capturing the spirit. After all, a picture is just a picture when it lacks that spirit.

Fortunately, there are still people today who want to get in touch with their inner spirit (without getting too floaty). I don't know if it's getting too 'off topic' by now, but in music, an example for me is the Scandinavian-German group Heilung who go back to their Nordic roots in lyrics but also in feeling and spirit, all the way to the Iron Age and further back. Just look them up on YouTube, especially the live concerts are almost a kind of ritual that - if I'm too much in my head - can definitely bring me back down to earth and let me 'ground myself' completely.

Coincidence does not exist. Today, I read a book by Motojirō Kajii with an apt quote. It's about seeing, but I feel it has everything to do with our discussion about making art with a soul:

‘The act of seeing is no small thing. To see something is to be possessed by it. Sometimes it carries off a part of you, sometimes it's your whole soul.’

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

That whole series of photos is lovely!  Were they all taken at Notre Dame? Where is that?

Yes the Cathedral of Notre Dame in the Paris 1900 sim, the whole thing is marvelous, they also have an Eifel tower, that is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

Yes the Cathedral of Notre Dame in the Paris 1900 sim, the whole thing is marvelous, they also have an Eifel tower, that is amazing.

I was there with you in one of your old accounts, years ago.  At least it was at Notre Dame, unless that was another recreation.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

Watching hermit crabs crawling along the beach 🦀

Snapshot_196.thumb.jpg.63c5bb0d33a7dce919137dd3f5578969.jpg

Why hello!

Snapshot_198.thumb.jpg.9765b2d7add1edb868b8646032cf8bf2.jpg

They are fun to watch, just skittering around the beach.

Snapshot_199.thumb.jpg.284e41c8a6ba9974f2c1c8696cacc188.jpg

I taught this one the art of sock acquisition, now I have an army of hermit crabs to help me.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Cinny and I at a scientific discussion group today. I am a little disappointed at how much people try to prove they are scientifically literate to each other. No one attends a discussion group about science if they don't have a solid background. It was about "what defines life".  As in a what defines a living organism. That is still an open question.

Cinny looked hot as hell though!!!

Cinny and me at Science Discussion.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 7

49 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Cinny and I at a scientific discussion group today. I am a little disappointed at how much people try to prove they are scientifically literate to each other. No one attends a discussion group about science if they don't have a solid background. It was about "what defines life".  As in a what defines a living organism. That is still an open question.

Cinny looked hot as hell though!!!

Cinny and me at Science Discussion.png

Nice pic!  However, there is no gatekeeping science.  Everyone can go and learn any time they want. No prerequisites needed. I do find the arrogance of how people state their beliefs to be a bit grating, though.  Questions like these are not settled science.  Also, I can see why the host would be wary of a discussion on consciousness.  I would be, too.

Yay SL and discussions!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

However, there is no gatekeeping science.  Everyone can go and learn any time they want.

I don't have to draw equations and pray to Einstein's ghost? Yay!

Posted (edited)

Cinny and I in the national Blab HQ. We DO have to keep it scandalous!!!

Cinny pushing Me Down Sandor.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4