How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

45 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

omg...like WOW I'd love to see all that... 💥

There are more than a few places I would love to see on your side of the pond as well. 
But long distance traveling has become really expensive over the years. So chances are very slim that those places will ever get from my bucket list. (Well I have tickets for tonight's Euro Jackpot Lottery, so 🤞 ....)

All the three places I mentioned are only a 6-10 hour drive from where I live and I book a simple airbnb apartment there.
That is affordable for me.

It is a shame we don't have teleport facilities in RL.  :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Sorry, I just realized I repeated your experiment in my later post. Yours are more comprehensive than my single experiment with Cailtin's mirror.

No need to apologize, I liked the post.  I wonder if at some time they will show light being reflected, for now it seems they mostly just show the light source being reflected, at least that is an assumption of mine. 

Sadly, at this time there will be no disco balls or tormenting people with our cellphone reflections.

I did find this interesting though, a standard prim with the shine set to a blank texture, with Glossiness and Environment set to 255 will show the projected texture from a light source. In fact it does it twice, despite the object for the light source's texture being blank.

Snapshot_462.thumb.jpg.221a0d9d68366884be22fac3659dd592.jpg

Above shows the projected image twice, maintains the shape of the light source, and then has a third light source as a circle.  This mirror is just a plain prim with no PBR material, with the shine set up really high and a blank texture for material.

--

A PBR material will not show the projected image when the roughness is set to 0, it will show the the light source as a  solid colored  circle though.  

Snapshot_465.thumb.jpg.6244d7bcf562c6b5c761b1b25b3340c7.jpg

(The above not showing projection on PBR object, what is reflected is a sphere.. or perhaps, a ghost!😨😨👻)

Snapshot_463.thumb.jpg.0036e33c7a18f33604aa24d854e4ecb2.jpg

The PBR will show the reflection of the projected light's texture (both of them) from the legacy shiny object though, if that makes any sense.

Snapshot_464.thumb.jpg.9685e5e65e321c9a7fdf86215b0a0405.jpg

Nothing really spectacular, just having fun seeing how things work.

Just for the fun of it, and to make things more confusing for us all :)

Snapshot_466.thumb.jpg.02a233698709a35df9034d5853b49fd3.jpg

The legacy (non PBR) prim, showing two light sources as well as a projection from the projection prim, and a reflection from the PBR mirror (in the red circle)  We can also see I believe three suns projected in the image, as well as the light source from another projection prim shining on the PBR mirror.

😈 I is the eval! 

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm all excited to have some dedicated time to read up on PBR!  

image.thumb.png.3a329fa6ee586a5e95bd2ddef1c57e3b.png

My face about a half hour later.  I know exactly where you can stick that light probe thingy.  If I want to see myself that badly, I'll rotate the dang camera around.  I don't want to see greasy objects anyway. *stomps off in a huff to get some tea*

image.thumb.png.e79761e10f99cbad8b8138d167215812.png

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

After my frustration at just reading about PBR and ending up just playing with the animations in my head HUD, I invited Sandor to go to a podcast that I usually miss (pet delight) because I am working.  Snow days happen and I took advantage.  The topic was      Are We Done with Good and Evil -   Can humans ever be inherently good or evil?   It was an interesting topic.  The discussion was good at times and silly at other times as usually happens with any discussion.

image.thumb.png.488dd98e3b6ea926bb125a2dc70c20a1.png

• Like 8

After the podcast, I went and played with Sandor's mirror.  (Not a euphemism *narrows eyes at the reading audience*)

He was more patient than I was and weathered my endless questions and what-ifs like a champ.

Why is my reflection off center and looking to the side?  something about curved lenses...  What if you put  2 reflection probes in this one mirror?  Would it be a less distorted view at each sink? Don't know.

image.thumb.png.af1da9bb6c89c7c3395657138341d439.png

Why does it take 10 to 15 seconds for my reflection to update in the mirror?  my slow computer...  Are you seeing yourself move in the mirror?  yes

image.thumb.jpeg.a71ca8745480cb3031b56a256e8923ac.jpeg

He made the box in front of the mirror semi-transparent to help me visualize what he set up. Yes, I am standing on the counter.  So?

image.thumb.jpeg.19ef45ac84715675c8f4842fda120571.jpeg

I assume I am one of the non-techie SL users who will have to take some extra time to grasp this.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

After the podcast, I went and played with Sandor's mirror.  (Not a euphemism *narrows eyes at the reading audience*)

In all fairness, the mirror could be one of those "two-way mirrors", with Sandor peeking at you from behind it.

This gives me an idea, I bet @Scylla Rhiadra could make a great art picture showing that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In all fairness, the mirror could be one of those "two-way mirrors", with Sandor peeking at you from behind it.

This gives me an idea, I bet @Scylla Rhiadra could make a great art picture showing that.

Weirdly, I'm in the midst of setting up a shot (that does not use PBR reflection probes) showing what is, in a slightly different sense, a two-way mirror. 

Cool shots, @Cinnamon Mistwood! But, yeah, SL doesn't yet have the capacity for "true" live-time mirrors that accurately reflect "skinned" objects (i.e., avatars). And I doubt that it will for some time: that, I gather, would badly overtax a lot of graphics cards, and wouldn't be easy to implement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

He was more patient than I was and weathered my endless questions and what-ifs like a champ.

Why is my reflection off center and looking to the side?  something about curved lenses...  What if you put  2 reflection probes in this one mirror?  Would it be a less distorted view at each sink? Don't know.

image.thumb.png.af1da9bb6c89c7c3395657138341d439.png

Why does it take 10 to 15 seconds for my reflection to update in the mirror?  my slow computer...  Are you seeing yourself move in the mirror?  yes

image.thumb.jpeg.a71ca8745480cb3031b56a256e8923ac.jpeg

He made the box in front of the mirror semi-transparent to help me visualize what he set up. Yes, I am standing on the counter.  So?

image.thumb.jpeg.19ef45ac84715675c8f4842fda120571.jpeg

I assume I am one of the non-techie SL users who will have to take some extra time to grasp this.  

Do you make a habit of standing on bathroom sinks?  If so, I would hesitate to invite you to visit my home.....

On the other hand, thank you for your previous post!  As a New Yorker, I feel reflected pride in the Chautauqua movement but had not realized it was represented in SL.  That is very cool and I plan to visit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Do you make a habit of standing on bathroom sinks?  If so, I would hesitate to invite you to visit my home.....

His SL house is built for avatars that are 10ft tall.  If I stood on the ground facing the mirror I would be staring at the sink and not see anything in the mirror.  As it is, you can see even Sandor is floating quite a bit off the ground using the animation in the sink.

Creators should make 2/3 scale models of all their builds for realistically sized avs.

If you insist, I will remove my shoes before climbing on your counters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

His SL house is built for avatars that are 10ft tall.  If I stood on the ground facing the mirror I would be staring at the sink and not see anything in the mirror.  As it is, you can see even Sandor is floating quite a bit off the ground using the animation in the sink.

Creators should make 2/3 scale models of all their builds for realistically sized avs.

This is why I won't buy things -- structures or furnishings and decorative items -- that aren't mod. It's not even as though there is a consistent standard for sizing such things in SL: everybody just seems to eyeball it. And almost nothing comes scaled for a "realistic" height and proportion (including animations and poses), which is more understandable as most SL avatars ARE oversized and relatively ill-proportioned.

9 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Permission to join me dancing on my countertops is the sign that I have fully accepted you as a friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is why I won't buy things -- structures or furnishings and decorative items -- that aren't mod. It's not even as though there is a consistent standard for sizing such things in SL: everybody just seems to eyeball it. And almost nothing comes scaled for a "realistic" height and proportion (including animations and poses), which is more understandable as most SL avatars ARE oversized and relatively ill-proportioned.

Permission to join me dancing on my countertops is the sign that I have fully accepted you as a friend.

The house IS full mod. I've changed a lot of the interior. Caitlin and I just happen to like the high ceilings. We wouldn't even think of lowering them.

At the office in RL, we have 8 foot ceilings.

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:

The house IS full mod. I've changed a lot of the interior. Caitlin and I just happen to like the high ceilings. We wouldn't even think of lowering them.

At the office in RL, we have 8 foot ceilings.

Oh, I'm sure. There are good reasons, because of camera constraints, to have high ceilings in SL.

What bothers me most are doors that are so large that the handles are at breast or even eye level, or window sills at shoulder height. It's one (although just one) reason I don't really want a Linden Home: I'm out of scale with them, and feel like a 13 year old wandering around inside their rooms.

Mostly though, it's about how it will look in a photo.

When I resize things (or gauge height for the backdrops and structures I make myself), I use as a base measurement a door height of 2.02 m (80 inches), and scale everything around that. Ceilings I don't generally mind a bit higher than is usual in RL, unless there is a reason for it (such as I want it, or a hanging lamp, to appear within the frame of a pic). And in some Victorian houses, ceilings can actually be as high as 3 m.

But that's me and my particular hang-ups! If you're not bothered by such things, then more power to you: you've got one less subject to feel peeved over, and that's not a bad thing.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

You would have taken your shoes off at the door anyways if you had stepped in something. Shoes on or off is fine lmao!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, I'm sure. There are good reasons, because of camera constraints, to have high ceilings in SL.

What bothers me most are doors that are so large that the handles are at breast or even eye level, or window sills at shoulder height. It's one (although just one) reason I don't really want a Linden Home: I'm out of scale with them, and feel like a 13 year old wandering around inside their rooms.

Mostly though, it's about how it will look in a photo.

When I resize things (or gauge height for the backdrops and structures I make myself), I use as a base measurement a door height of 2.02 m (80 inches), and scale everything around that. Ceilings I don't generally mind a bit higher than is usual in RL, unless there is a reason for it (such as I want it, or a hanging lamp, to appear within the frame of a pic). And in some Victorian houses, ceilings can actually be as high as 3 m.

But that's me and my particular hang-ups! If you're not bothered by such things, then more power to you: you've got one less subject to feel peeved over, and that's not a bad thing.

All the door handles, etc., are proper sized. It's the BBX Infiniti house. Very high quality. And huge.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I can't stand small rooms for the same reason. I can't navigate enclosed stairs, because I can't see a thing. I watch Cinny do it, and she says she says some camera setting or addon, which I keep forgetting to ask her about since she once said something about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Honestly, it's fine. Her boots were clean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I took some pics too yesterday, when I joined Cinny at the library where she was reading.

Ciny book spot.jpg

She had me test the chair where she was sitting, to see if a laptop would pop up like it should. It didn't for her, and didn't for me either.

Ciny and sandor testing chair.jpg

Then the discussion group.

Ciny and Sandor Philosophy Meeting.jpg

Cinny DID take the opportunity to fix her hair before getting up on the counter...

Ciny Fixing Hair.jpg

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

While driving around, I found a duck!

Snapshot_469.thumb.jpg.4b11811e1aa85aab83272f5a64e1dfa9.jpg

I clicked him and he would quack.  I started making songs out of his quacks, then worried I was pinging the owner every time I clicked it so I stopped.  When I looked at the property and saw that it was owned by a person who owns tiny parcels all over the place, including one right near my mainland parcel.  He tends to update his micro parcels with different objects, sometimes a SL hand flipping people off, sometimes a hand giving a peace sign, sometimes prim christmas trees, this is the first time I saw a duck.  

Snapshot_470.thumb.jpg.b84aecb2f6aec8b3afab6d15f6685b5a.jpg

So I teleported back home, hoping to see a duck but alas, no duck.  

Snapshot_471.thumb.jpg.3a3ce9792c9cd0f6bc2d86dbfe069730.jpg

I decided to put a duck of my own up for a while, staring at the hand.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1