Littering or Personal Use of Public Linden Land

LilithLamia Vortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How many of you have had issues with neighbors who place their items outside of their parcel as if trying to utilize Linden Labs Public Space as their own personal play spot?

Example - I purchased a Route and Water access parcel on Mainland - paid a pretty penny for it too - then someone moved in next door who is an aviation group - and a boating group across the street. Both tenants have placed items such as landing lights, racing circuit items and otherwise in the Public Use areas - and it not only just looks bad - but its also just a pain to think at any time I am leaving from my water area, I must now watch out for incoming or outgoing airplanes that use that public space of water next to mine as their own personal landing space.

I reached out to LL, but of course, little help. I could permanently de-render the items, but I am looking to sell or rent my parcel and its basically a nuisance. No one should have to concede on a public space to any other lend tenant. I was wondering how anyone else has handled this and with what level of success?

If the items are rezzed so that they physically encroach on public land, particularly if they block access for other residents, then file an AR. Don't expect instant results, because it can take Governance some time to get through all the reports they receive, and they will handle higher priority items first. 

As for people using vehicles in space you want to use, that is just the nature of Mainland where public space is for all to use. 

Have you considered reaching out to the owners of the parcels to see if they might be interested in buying or renting your parcel?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, vampirelicker201 said:

.. neighbors who place their items outside of their parcel as if trying to utilize Linden Labs Public Space as their own personal play spot?

I was wondering how anyone else has handled this and with what level of success?

if Land Linden doesn't seem to be doing anything about it then it may be that the objects are on the resident owner's parcel. With water parcels that edge Linden waterways then it can sometimes appear that such objects are over Linden land when they aren't.  (menu: World \ Show \ Property lines and menu: Advanced \ Rendering Types \ Water can help to check this)

when you are absolutely sure then keep filing the Abuse Reports

a thing. If you are wanting to rent the parcel then you could use what the neighbours are doing to help attract a tenant. Like: Parcel eminently suitable for flight and water vehicles. Be part of a thriving informal vehicle enthusiasts congregration

Edited by Mollymews
property lines
  • Like 5

The items are definitely on Linden Land - Guy Linden did a fly over and when I messaged him since I was still there, he said nothing in reply.

The whole reason we purchased that plot was for the road and water access at the same time. I spent $200 USD just to snag that tiniest 100 prim section that I could sit a boat or waverunner in and then head out to open sea. My tiny, tiny piece is directly against Linden Land - we chose that so that NO ONE could impose on our ability to access the huge Linden water way. Yet, these folks next to us, use that space like its their personal airstrip with these  red, green and yellow prims that denote that public space as a landing strip.

I did message the land/group owner and ask that she pick them up but of course, no word from her. The boat place across from us, has their bits and pieces also extended way past their purchased land, but it is merely an eyesore.

I don't mind other people /using/ public space - but when you sort of "claim it for your own use" in such a way, that's the part I am not ok with.

Has anyone had to deal with this? I can keep filing abuse reports but at the end of the day, I feel like Linden Labs should just own up to their rule of use of public space and make sure that people are not placing their items on it. These are quite obviously parcel extended items - meaning they have the parent prim on their parcel, and have extended way past their allotted parcel.

But have you actually filed an AR? You ask how we deal with it, that is how. Talk to land owner, file AR and derender if talk doesn't work, move if it bothers that much. There are really no other solutions.

P.S. Messaging Lindens you happen to see in world is not going to get you what you want in most cases. I'm sure Guy was working on something at the time, and if you look at Linden profiles, they all say to contact Support with any issues. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Mollymews said:

a thing. If you are wanting to rent the parcel then you could use what the neighbours are doing to help attract a tenant. Like: Parcel eminently suitable for flight and water vehicles. Be part of a thriving informal vehicle enthusiasts congregration

Yeah. When Mainland gives you lemons, make lemonade.

especially if it's "that tiniest 100 prim section" regardless of what price was paid for it. Any sensible "Land" Linden should surely pay more attention to whomever pays the most tier, not who paid the most (to another resident) for a parcel.

It's certainly possible ARs will cause a change eventually, and that might work out this time, but reaching an agreement with the neighbors is way more likely to lead to a mutually satisfactory future. In contrast, an AR'd neighbor is very apt to find a perfectly legal—and perfectly unpleasant—way to respond.

• Like 4

I filed two tickets online as well as Inworld Reports, twice. So yes, I did, that was why I posted here, to see if others had any success with the same type of issue and did they get a resolve.

Guy Linden was there specifically for my ticket - he was target hitting  a few of those items and is the one assigned to my ticket.

To make it clear, I was only posting here to see if anyone A) Had any of the same issues - and if so - B) What was the resolve?

I can pretty much figure out the rest myself. Thanks for the input! 

They wouldn't normally want to get involved if the objects are phantom as they aren't causing a blockage. If they were consistently going to return every encroachment it would open a huge can of worms for many roadside parcels depend upon a bit of encroachment to create access the parcel owners may well have bought the land for. In some cases they have even made alterations in hedges to facilitate that. If instead you want them to be selective then you are asking them to undertake an evaluation based on taste. I really can't see them wanting to get involved with these landing lights. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

They wouldn't normally want to get involved if the objects are phantom as they aren't causing a blockage. If they were consistently going to return every encroachment it would open a huge can of worms for many roadside parcels depend upon a bit of encroachment to create access the parcel owners may well have bought the land for. In some cases they have even made alterations in hedges to facilitate that. If instead you want them to be selective then you are asking them to undertake an evaluation based on taste. I really can't see them wanting to get involved with these landing lights. 

I had forgotten about this, but yes, exceptions regarding minor encroachments are definitely made (especially in Bay City).

I owned a large parcel in Mowry at one point and wanted access to the road, which was blocked by a low Linden wall. I filed a ticket, and a cut was made in the wall so that I could install my little driveway (which technically encroached a tiny bit on the land next to the road, but was OK because it did not impede road traffic). 

If Guy was there and inspected the area, and only removed some of the items, then there is the answer. He apparently did not think all of it required action. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 5

In my roadside experience, some things that are encroaching on the road will be ignored and others will get returned. My phantom pedestrian crossing was ignored. The planters owned by someone down the road got complaints, as it narrowed the road a lot. The non-phantom bridge that people kept smacking into was not long for this world. They look at each situation, rather than having a zero tolerance policy.

It's hard to know exactly what you're seeing, but if this is markers on the water, you can ask the neighbour to make sure they're phantom so boats don't get stuck on them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This isn't a minor encroachment. This is blatant.  My point wasn't about anyone making exceptions, quite the opposite.

If items are placed purposely onto a public space to attempt to designate it as their own use or purpose - that's my issue. Placing an item slightly between your parcel and a road? I do not see an issue - its not like anyone else is going to use that transitional space.

Thanks for the input but i think the point of this post has been buried.

If I could get through to someone that owns the space, I wouldn't post here - that's part and partial of the issue. I just want to see if anyone has experienced this, and if so, how did they remedy it.

You keep asking and we keep answering. 

Talk to owner.

File AR.

Derender.

If none of the above work for you, then it's time to move. I suggest a private estate, where people have to follow rules. You are not going to find 100% obedience on Mainland, sorry!

• Like 4

Yep, kept an eye on the ticket, assuming he would respond, but nothing yet.

Sylvia - I read what you offered as suggestions - now, I am looking to hear from folks who have shared the experience, and how they resolved it. Thanks again for your persistent participation and opinions.

Still looking for folks with an actual shared experience. Thanks!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, vampirelicker201 said:

Sylvia - I read what you offered as suggestions - now, I am looking to hear from folks who have shared the experience, and how they resolved it. Thanks again for your persistent participation and opinions.

LOL I have owned Mainland for many, many years. I am giving you solutions that I and others have used. 

I'm sorry I cannot give you what you apparently want, which is a way to force others to your aesthetics. If you expect that on Mainland, you will continue to be disappointed. ;) 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, vampirelicker201 said:

7 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

You keep asking and we keep answering. 

Talk to owner.

File AR.

Derender.

If none of the above work for you, then it's time to move. I suggest a private estate, where people have to follow rules. You are not going to find 100% obedience on Mainland, sorry!

What more do you want? Sylvia gave you what options you have.  The people that would have the same, shared experience as you have the exact same options. There is no secret resolution people are hiding from you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vampirelicker201 said:

Also - it shouldn't be about who pays more in tier - it should be about following rules. Its pretty simple stuff and makes for everybody enjoying their virtual space.

I have never seen the issue you have described with the props and the landing. I know that Lindens seem to love sailors and pilots and it may be due to their large outlay of tier or their ability to purchase lots of expensive Blake Sea land.

But generally, if someone encroaches on Linden Land, either by rooting an object on their own land, or by littering with rezzers from their own land, or by taking advantage of the admittedly rare occasions of Linden land having very long or no return time, the Lindens return it. Pretty much always. If you file an ABUSE report, which they insist on doing, as they don't like to answer SUPPORT TICKETS on this topic. It's really a shame, because they should. I think all encroachment and griefing issues you cannot control from your own land -- Linden trees that encroach from a neighbour CANNOT be returned by you even with the (new) features that enable this and that leads to literally years of suffering until you can finally catch a Linden's attention. They should treat all such "content on land where it shouldn't be" issues as merely a garbage collection job. Not about "governance" because governance and abuse tickets don't work and can't address the rising tide. It should be a neutral issue of "let's put interns on this if we don't have staff" Or even better (my suggestion), let's let some long-term owners on sims with trusted reputations have return powers on Linden Land (yes, a contentious proposition, but does solve the staff time issue).

I have had the Lindens ban me from the world for three days (!!!) because they believed falsely that I was deliberately encroaching, after a bad actor abuse reported me believing that my tiny encroachment of a ramp over some bad Linden road caused his car crashes. They ignored this for years -- it was easier to ignore than fix their bad roads -- then WHEN they had somebody they like abuse report somebody they don't like, they acted. It's human nature.

Other things they tend to ignore, say, bridges over large stretches of Linden water, if they don't interfere with boat traffic. 

I personally think the world would benefit if the Lindens let some owners buy the Linden land on their sims to start to get rid of some of this chronic suffering. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, vampirelicker201 said:

@Prokofy NevaThanks for that - very on point.

@Sylvia Tamalyn Please refrain - at this point, I think you are simply trolling. You obviously have missed my intent and point.

Honestly, unless you have something more positive to lend to this post, please find some other posts to troll. Thanks for the info.

Actually this is a public forum so you don't get to say who responds and who doesn't. Sylvia was not trolling you she was giving you information to your direct question. Just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean she is trolling your post. :) Have a great day!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

People who offer advice, then incessantly respond with no purpose other than to be argumentative, antagonistic, or perpetuate their idea instead of posting and moving along, are in fact, trolls my dear.  I was looking for info - a few offered, cool, it doesn't mean other people's potential commentary doesn't have value and yours is the only one that does.

Post what you have to say, then head out, no need to keep up the diatribe. Public or not, there's a level of decorum that's expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, vampirelicker201 said:

@Prokofy NevaThanks for that - very on point.

@Sylvia Tamalyn Please refrain - at this point, I think you are simply trolling. You obviously have missed my intent and point.

Honestly, unless you have something more positive to lend to this post, please find some other posts to troll. Thanks for the info.

You post in a public forum asking a question. You get factual answers. You don't like the answers, so make "troll" accusations.

You don't get to control who posts in this thread any more than you get to control what residents on Mainland do. You might want to work on your own issues regarding that. :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.