male mesh bodies/heads that arent too expensive?

Saijito

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

in sl i like to make avatar based on characters or celebrities i like. currently i have male avatars based on majima from yakuza, hazuki from the band lynch, and ruki from the band the gazette.

I have mesh bodies and heads but only for females. What i have is lucy body selena/natasha, avatar 2.0, ebody free version, and the normie head. one thing i like with the lucybody compared to my other mesh bodies is its compatible with system clothes and skin since i already have a large selection of system stuff. Omega and bom skin and appliers still kinda confuses me. the avatar 2.0 is limited in clothes, and skins but they're relatively easy to apply. though i don't get the texture mods for lots of the utiliazor avatar clothes that are available to buy.

Are there any recommendations for male mesh bodies and heads that don't cost more than l$2000-3000? id prefer they cant use system skins at least, and have a good selection of clothes available

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm 14 years in SL and still walking around in a classic avi.
It might be time to bite the bullit and start the learning curve needed.
So hey, I'm interested as well in any available tip.

If you like classic style and cover up your body in PG style, you can try demo clothes for mesh bodies too. If you have a full suit, you only show hands and head. If you have a beach outfit, you show arms and legs that a t-shirt and shorts don't cover. It is free alpha layers you can get. All you need is that the clothes fit around the neck and the body where the clothes stop.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

"A good selection of clothes available" is kind of laughable compared to the female market, laughable in a doleful way, even for the common brands.

But well. You can try Alantori, for example... it's said to match some stuff, but good luck with that.

Actually seen the hair from Alantori before. I think the body actually looks nice. Heads look a little too wide for me. Thanks for the suggestion. And yeah it sucks how male clothing is hard to find in all avatar games including sl. Female stuff is created by the bucket load.

24 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm 14 years in SL and still walking around in a classic avi.
It might be time to bite the bullit and start the learning curve needed.
So hey, I'm interested as well in any available tip.

Not sure if https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sweets-Male-BoM-Bento-Mesh-Body-w-Alpha-HUD/19282428 would be a good place to start. I’m thinking of checking out this avatar myself. It uses system clothes and skins.

• Thanks 1

Ocacin are cheap. But the reviews is very positive or very negative. I think you need to be able to mod them, and read notecard and watch videos. The worst reviews is from what I call "people who don't get it".

I could not see a demo for the 400 L body, try to send a notecard and ask for a demo? The 250 L bodies have demos. The 400 L body has some clothes, I did as suggested and searched for "Gamit" and got up some clothes. Not super good selection, but some.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/196398?search[category_id]=375&search[maturity][]=General&search[maturity][]=Moderate&search[maturity][]=Adult&search[page]=1&search[per_page]=96&search[sort]=created_at_desc&search[store_id]=196398

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

Ocacin are cheap. But the reviews is very positive or very negative. I think you need to be able to mod them, and read notecard and watch videos. The worst reviews is from what I call "people who don't get it".

I could not see a demo for the 400 L body, try to send a notecard and ask for a demo? The 250 L bodies have demos. The 400 L body has some clothes, I did as suggested and searched for "Gamit" and got up some clothes. Not super good selection, but some.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/196398?search[category_id]=375&search[maturity][]=General&search[maturity][]=Moderate&search[maturity][]=Adult&search[page]=1&search[per_page]=96&search[sort]=created_at_desc&search[store_id]=196398

I’ll definitely check the demos out and see if I understand it first. 

34 minutes ago, Saijito said:

Actually seen the hair from Alantori before. I think the body actually looks nice. Heads look a little too wide for me. Thanks for the suggestion. And yeah it sucks how male clothing is hard to find in all avatar games including sl. Female stuff is created by the bucket load.

It is partly because males and females often differ a lot when it comes to clothing.
Having a favorite T-shirt in 10 different colors, a few swimming trunks and a pair of comfy jeans in 6 colors, together with 2 or 3 pairs of shoes and most guys are all set.
Except for Christmas and a wedding.

If I were in the clothing design business I would concentrate on female stuff too to be honest. That is where a lot more money is to be made.

[rant]
What bothers me most is that a lot of clothes made for men are shown with pictures from body shapes of dressed up 2.3 meters tall gorillas instead of ordinary guys.
It makes stuff look awful and then I lose interest most of the time and don't even bother to get a demo,
That is the main reason I still have a classic avatar as well  I guess. Most mesh bodies look like from a guy who spends at least 6 hours a day in a gym to pump up the volumes.
[/rant]

Edited by Sid Nagy
Zpelling
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is partly because males and females often differ a lot when it comes to clothing.
Having a favorite T-shirt in 10 different colors, a few swimming trunks and a pair of comfy jeans in 6 colors, together with 2 or 3 pairs of shoes and most guys are all set.

If I were in the clothing design business I would concentrate on female stuff too to be honest. That is were a lot more money is to be made.

[rant]
What bothers me most is that a lot of clothes made for men are shown with pictures and body shapes of dressed up 2.3 meters tall gorillas instead of ordinary guys.
It makes stuff look awful and then I lose interest most of the time and don't even bother to get a demo,
That is the main reason I still have a classic avatar as well  I guess. Most mesh bodies look like from a guy who spends at least 6 hours a day in a gym to pump up the volumes.
[/rant]

That’s my issue why I haven’t converted to male mesh bodies. I don’t want a super muscular guy. Lean, average, or skinny would be want I want. But also lots of the male heads I haven’t been able to find one I absolutely love.

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If I were in the clothing design business I would concentrate on female stuff too to be honest. That is where a lot more money is to be made.

[rant]
What bothers me most is that a lot of clothes made for men are shown with pictures from body shapes of dressed up 2.3 meters tall gorillas instead of ordinary guys.
[/rant]

If you don't need more clothes than that, it is more than enough for Slink male. That body can be really thin, as you can see:

1925508203_Nutmegchairs_002.thumb.jpg.7dd7de61c249c881e1c85f0787638bf7.jpg

It is also the best body when it comes to lag, compared to Legacy that looks amazing and can be slim, but is too high in complexity. It is not too expensive either, not a 200 L body, but good quality!

You should absolutely get the bundle to reduced price inworld!! https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Slink-Physique-Male-Mesh-Body/7776924

"All in one attachment in the Redux version of the Bundle, Body, hands and feet
(decreasing attachment points from 5 to 1)
*Redux version of Body, Hands and Feet also included separately if needed."

So you can wear only hands if you like, or hands and feet, or your whole body in swimming trunks on the beach. No more flipper feet.

The bundle will be a little over 2000 L, but it is worth it.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, spookiboogie said:

I was looking for female mesh heads but these guys have a male body/head combo too.  Might be worth seeing?   MP link to the body: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/META-NEO-AVATAR-REDUX-BoM-BENTO/21554362

The problem is -- with any standard (read that as popular) body --- clothes seldom fit.    So of course give things a try. You can get an "unstandard" body from from altamura (several for both female and male) which include heads just for the group gift fee. Then newest are BOM and take BOM alpha layers (no alpha huds). Others have alpha huds with big cuts. Most (I think all now) area all in one so no way to wear another head. Still, last I looked the join fee was 150. There have been times when they were completely free so that might happen again. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Saijito said:

Are there any recommendations for male mesh bodies and heads that don't cost more than l$2000-3000?

I use an Adam mesh body with BoM for my personal avatar. 2950 Li. BoM relay 10 Li.  (I have lots of avatars which serve as models). The head is a Logo Chase head. A free version which is unfortunately not available anymore.  BoM compatible as well.

Adam Body

Adam BoM relay

The Adam Body works with Omega also. But just to mention it, one cannot use Omega and BoM at the same time. Anyway, there are many clothes available for this body. My advice: don't hesitate to learn BoM. Actually it's simple. You just need to learn some basics. It only seems to be complicate and confusing because some people tend to answer starter questions rather with technical details which might be interesting for experienced users than to tell them the 3, 4 things which starters really need to know to get BoM working.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Thanks 2

I have Roth, the open source avatar. Can wear classic clothing, both BOM and mesh. More or less. Expect to have to adjust.

Roth is really Ruth with a flat chest. So ankles are too small, arms are too thin, and thighs are too big for a man. Clothing can hide this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will add a bit more information to @Sid Nagy. You are used to layering on your default Linden body.

This makes you an ideal candidate for using BoM from the start. (Bakes on Mesh).

Before BoM, the mesh body acted like a barrier and was hiding all on the system body. The mesh bodies still does this unless they are converted to BoM. 

But the Slink Redux body is ready for BoM from the start. When a body is BoM, it is turned into a canvas instead of a barrier. Your system skin and system layer is visible on the mesh body. You can add layer upon layer, and sort the layers as you wish, in appearance mode. Yes, your alpha layers work too.

This is hard to understand for newer people who has only used mesh bodies that hide all the system avatar. They are used to appliers, and using layers is hard to get. But we who has already used layers and a system body, gets it. It is familiar territory.

You will run into a few issues still, of course. The painted on toes and fingernails on the skin that's meant for the flipper feet and sausage fingers, will show as ugly dark stretch marks and nails under your new nails. You may have to invest in a new skin, or find free or cheap "BoM" fixers that work as socks and gloves, and tint to match the skin. You hide the dark marks and the default skin nails, but will lose the details, if your fingers and toes have wrinkles. They will be an uniform color.

You should still buy mesh clothes for that body, to get a nice fit around neck, upper arms, wrists and so on.

You can use your layer clothes... but I found out that 3D mesh clothes is the best. I use layers for tattoos, freckles and modesty underwear. You have seen the body parts float before avatars snap together. With panties and skincolored pasties over the nipples, I am always hiding crotch and nipples.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, a very helpful post again. Now I finally understand what BoM means. Never expected it to be such a simple concept (seen from the consumer side).
One obstacle out of the way.
I think I still have system clothing in an "old stuff" folder somewhere. Sounds handy indeed to use them for a t-shirt under a polo and for underwear or a tatoo.
And that I can start of with my own skin is a plus too. Although after all these years there should be better ones on the market but as starters it will do.
I think I need to shop for mesh bodies and heads demos upcoming week.

Are mesh heads editable like the classic ones with sliders?  Or do I need to buy and use ready made shapes?

To be honest, a lot of the male heads on sale look like they come directly from a freak show advertisement.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Thanks, a very helpful post again. Now I finally understand what BoM means. Never expected it to be such a simple concept (seen from the consumer side).
One obstacle out of the way.
I think I still have system clothing in an "old stuff" folder somewhere. Sounds handy indeed to use them for a t-shirt under a polo and for underwear or a tatoo.
And that I can start of with my own skin is a plus too. Although after all these years there should be better ones on the market but as starters it will do.
I think I need to shop for mesh bodies and heads demos upcoming week.

Are mesh heads editable like the classic ones with sliders?  Or do I need to buy and use ready made shapes?

To be honest, a lot of the male heads on sale look like they come directly from a freak show advertisement.

Well... when it comes to heads, you can change a lot with the sliders, but not everything. The "fashionable" head shapes is set to what insecure men will buy, because they think they need to look like that to be successful in the clubs. Plus it also attract the club going females with wide hips, skimpy clothes and hard makeup. So they will bring their new boyfriend along and say: "Buy this, buy that. This is how I want you to look".

But you can get a much more average and normal look. This is my oldest male alt.

grey_0022.thumb.jpg.afe9c92441b2373075153be8abcf4ccf.jpg

He has this as his average look, but is mostly in steampunk attire complete with prostethic leg and cane. This is the LOGO Chase head that was a gift last year. It comes with a very subdued face AO that just parts the lips slightly and the eyebrows is moving a bit. The skin is Stray Dog and is not meant for LOGO. But it is updated to BoM and fits the head quite well. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gac_akina/48088824348/in/dateposted/

You will see that the mouth look a bit different on the head, but I think it fits this avatar's look.

beardcollage.jpg.8e716a9ca68301124a6b18aac8d96566.jpg

I added other eyebrows and a lot of face wrinkles, 3 layers on top of each other.

The head with the included skin does not look freaky, but a young, healthy look. You can see the posters here: https://ryanschultz.com/2020/10/24/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-male-and-female-bento-bakes-on-mesh-heads-from-logo-on-their-15th-anniversary/

So it is mostly the skin, and also customize it with different brows and beards. The head can be edited to get rid of things like too plush lips, but you can't change the head totally.

Edited by Marianne Little
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/18/2021 at 11:13 PM, Doc Carling said:

I use an Adam mesh body with BoM for my personal avatar. 2950 Li. BoM relay 10 Li.  (I have lots of avatars which serve as models). The head is a Logo Chase head. A free version which is unfortunately not available anymore.  BoM compatible as well.

Adam Body

Adam BoM relay

The Adam Body works with Omega also. But just to mention it, one cannot use Omega and BoM at the same time. Anyway, there are many clothes available for this body. My advice: don't hesitate to learn BoM. Actually it's simple. You just need to learn some basics. It only seems to be complicate and confusing because some people tend to answer starter questions rather with technical details which might be interesting for experienced users than to tell them the 3, 4 things which starters really need to know to get BoM working.

if you dont mind do you happen to know of any good BoM tutorials? i will check out those bodies too btw, thank you

Edited by Saijito

12 hours ago, Saijito said:

if you dont mind do you happen to know of any good BoM tutorials? i will check out those bodies too btw, thank you

On youtube are many. BOM on youtube   If you want, take also a look at the simple steps to start with BoM.

Basic requirements:

Your viewer must be compatible with BOM. The latest Firestorm and LL Viewer for example are. There are more.

Mesh body/head must be compatible with BOM.

Your heads/bodys BOM must be active.  Many heads/bodies come with a Bom button in their HUDs. Just click it. Other heads/bodies require a relay. If BoM doesn't work for you, check at first, if BOM is active at all.

What is BoM doing?

It places (bakes) system layers on your meshbody and head. See screenshot what system layers are.

How to use BoM.

I suggest you start with a classic skin. It has an icon that looks like a jumping little man. Right click on it and choose "wear" in the menu. Don't worry, if your avatar turns red. It is a sign, that BOM is active. Now remove the body alpha and the head alpha as well. Your Avatar should look normal now and wear the layer skin. Remember, that you cannot remove a skin. You can only replace it with another one.  With all the other system layers - for example tattoos - it works the same.You want to remove a system layer (except skin)? Right click and choose "take off".  If you notice your avatar looks ugly after starting BOM, that's not a BOM isssue. It only means that your mesh body or head don't fit with the skin that you choose and that you have to edit the shape. Again it is not BOM that makes avatar looking ugly. BOM ist just a neutral tool that moves system layer items from your inventory to the surface of your mesh body/head.

Ok, these are the  steps to get BOM working. The basics. If I forget one, everyone is welcome to correct me. But please consider, I kept this very simple on purpose.

layers.jpg

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Thanks 2

On 3/19/2021 at 6:08 AM, Marianne Little said:

Well... when it comes to heads, you can change a lot with the sliders, but not everything. The "fashionable" head shapes is set to what insecure men will buy, because they think they need to look like that to be successful in the clubs. Plus it also attract the club going females with wide hips, skimpy clothes and hard makeup. So they will bring their new boyfriend along and say: "Buy this, buy that. This is how I want you to look".

But you can get a much more average and normal look. This is my oldest male alt.

grey_0022.thumb.jpg.afe9c92441b2373075153be8abcf4ccf.jpg

He has this as his average look, but is mostly in steampunk attire complete with prostethic leg and cane. This is the LOGO Chase head that was a gift last year. It comes with a very subdued face AO that just parts the lips slightly and the eyebrows is moving a bit. The skin is Stray Dog and is not meant for LOGO. But it is updated to BoM and fits the head quite well. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gac_akina/48088824348/in/dateposted/

You will see that the mouth look a bit different on the head, but I think it fits this avatar's look.

beardcollage.jpg.8e716a9ca68301124a6b18aac8d96566.jpg

I added other eyebrows and a lot of face wrinkles, 3 layers on top of each other.

The head with the included skin does not look freaky, but a young, healthy look. You can see the posters here: https://ryanschultz.com/2020/10/24/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-male-and-female-bento-bakes-on-mesh-heads-from-logo-on-their-15th-anniversary/

So it is mostly the skin, and also customize it with different brows and beards. The head can be edited to get rid of things like too plush lips, but you can't change the head totally.

Where did you get the wrinkles, or did they come with the head?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.