Scuba diving in SL

Monalisa Robbiani

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:01 AM, Monalisa Robbiani said:

I'm looking for groups or people who would like to join me in exploring the underwater parts of SL.

SLCG is still very active and although scuba diving is only one part of their activities, they do quite a lot of it - they even have a scuba diving school.

If you want to explore the underwater regions of SL, I suggest you take a tour across Aley's pirate/mermaid masterpiece before it's too late. It used to span across 13 sims from Blake Diego in the east to the Fanci Deep sims in the west and although it's being slowly but surely torn down, much of it is still there. It's fantasy style of course but modern scuba divers are still welcome, just remember that drowning is illegal there.

I've always wanted to build a more realistic North Sea themed seascape around Coniston but I'm running out of ideas for content. You can only have so much seaweed and fishes before it gets dull. Any suggestions?

There are many mermaid sites all over SL, and several active mermaid groups.  You should be able to do a Search to find many of them.  Some of the best discoveries are random bits of flotsam and jetsam left on the sea floor by LDPW Moles (who have also created occasional large grottos, sunken vessels, and submerged ruins).  Many are documented in posts in these forums; others are known only to individual explorers or small groups.

15 hours ago, Monalisa Robbiani said:

Where is the mermaid place?

SWF (Safe Water Foundation) is by far the biggest and most active mermaid group and its HQ is at Union Passage, one of the sims Aley used for her builds. It's connected to Blake Sea too so it's also a great starting point for exploring many of the LDPW builds Rolig mentioned. Aley's original build included a treasure hunt that took you to all the best Mole spots all over Blake Sea but unfortunately that is one of the parts that are gone now.

There's another older underwater treasure hunt made by the Moles themselves btw with treasure chests spread out across some of the Sunrise Islands Waterways regions north of Blake Sea. The starting sim for that hunt is also gone though so although more than 20 of the treasure chests are still there, you'll only find them if you stumble across them or just happen to have landmarks to them. This is how the Mole Treasure Chests look:

bilde.thumb.png.c767dde25693e4e68d7bc48fc6ecc737.png

(I'm surprised Rolig forgot mention the Mole Treasure Hunt btw. It's a lovely thing and she certainly knew about it.)

I've been looking for active scubadivers myself, but like you say, while there are a few groups around, they don't seem super-active. So I'll be sure to send you an IM Monalisa. If I forget you're welcome to poke me too. That goes for anyone else reading this and are in need of a few dive buddies. :)

I joined one SL Scuba diving group once... and one member from it contacted me.. asking if I was interested in some "Scuba diving fetish play". I didn't even ask for an elaboration on that one.. >_> But I'm sure some actual diving takes place too, it has to. :D

All the best

//Valerie

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm surprised Rolig forgot mention the Mole Treasure Hunt btw. It's a lovely thing and she certainly knew about it.

Oh, there's plenty of treasure on the sea floor.  If we told everyone where to find it, we'd spoil all the fun..... 😉

1830568846_Mermaid9-25-2019_11.png.f0ae755b8cce3a469b382447ecc1a997.png

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, there's plenty of treasure on the sea floor.

Yes but the one in your picture is just full of fool's gold. It's easy to see that because if it had been left open like this and contain anything of value, somebody else would have looted it looooong ago. You haev to find and click on the closed one to get a prize ... or a piece of seaweed or such, you're not always lucky.

The sea crates made by somebody you know particularly well and located at Blake Sea - Sirens Isle are seriously annoying to a texture addict like me though. They're full of 42 textures I've never seen anywhere else by none other than Crazy Mole, one of the best texture artists we've ever seen in SL:

bilde.png.9148bc1ab1782093a062f27235c81ffd.png

Yet there's no way to actually get to those textures or even see or admire them anywhere! That's downright cruel!

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

If we told everyone where to find it, we'd spoil all the fun..... 😉

Of course. I did actually consider posting SLURLs to the SIW treasure chests but fortunately I got to my senses. 😉

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

Id love more deep water areas as well.

Oh yes! Unfortunately the default water level in SL is only 20 m and it's not possible to set ground level below 0.

On my SoaS regions I have sea level set to 100 m and that makes a huge difference. Not only that, since it's opensim based it's possible to lower the seabed below 0 m. The sun doesn't shine at all down there so it's all about fullbright and local light sources giving the scene an amazing mysterious deep water effect. I wish we could have that in SL but unfortunately deep water scenes are opensim only, not SL whilst good content for deep water scenes is SL only, not opensim.

Edited by ChinRey

When you are exploring try pressing SHIFT CTRL ALT 7 (simultaneously) on your keyboard and watch the seas "vanish".  This handy little feature makes the water disappear from view so you can work unfettered terraforming, decorating or whatever.  Press the same keys to return to normal.  The water is still there and you will float, it's just invisible.  If you drop below sea level you'll see the water again as you are now underneath it.  You can still traverse the seas by boat, appearing to hover over the sea bed.  While doing so, you can also see how much effect adding more textures to any given view will have on your graphics card with or without water (just as an example) as the water hides them during normal use.  Removing the water exposes those textures to view and you'll see the difference in performance.  

I offer this because it's an interesting function and it can be useful for general overall viewing to locate large debris fields for exploration.  Simply revert the water back to 'normal' and enjoy your dive.

• 1 year later...

I still love to dive, even if my prim diving gear is showing it's age by now. I miss the feel and thrill of scuba so much, but it is just not as fun alone (nor is it safe).
I joined so many groups, so few are active, and members are hard to team up with for a dive.
I hope if this old thread has formed groups that I may find some of you, and enjoy the waters with you all !

Edited by Alleyne Swordthain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.