Other themes we'd like to see

Rabid Cheetah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

51 minutes ago, Fay Starlight said:

When we run out of room, we can have a going to Mars "space theme" LOL!

That would actually be cool---or if it was like Moon homes, then the Earth could rise and set along with the Sun!

Love that, as I'm currently reading Blue Mars, the last installment of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy.

And then there's this:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/gallery/mars-science-city-images-spc-scn/index.html?gallery=%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200603132600-mars-science-city-first-phase-exterior-dubai.jpg

• Like 1

The existence of Horizons might blunt their desire to do a spacey theme again - though I hope not as I would like to see that, but only if it featured skyboxes as the prefabs.

(Like a series of sky platform houses - and things floating around on the 'protected space' in between such as traffic signs or little robots.

df16f116371e5d0c6997c47b3a7026c9.jpg

We have 5 themes out so far. a 6th announced. The plan was 8? I suspect the last 2 won't be anything too fancy. They will probably mirror some common form of real world housing. If we guess one will be a 512 and the other a 1024 - I'm not sure what that 512 could be that wouldn't be problematic. Much as many have suggested apartments - they would be too close together to actually be popular once they came out.

If I look at what I see house makers making the most of, it seems popular items not yet covered in the linden homes would be brownstones, lofts, and post-industrial things like converted warehouses.

Lofts falls into the apartments problem - and this is why most of them are sold as skyboxes. They wouldn't work as a linden home theme.

So I'm suspecting one or both of the last two themes might come from brownstone or converted warehouses. That noted... converted warehouses stop working well as a theme when you mass replicate them... and every image I get when googling brownstones has them placed right up against each other:

Boston_Back_Bay_brownstones.jpg

- but the building style does work well when spaced out... And I see that in SL a lot, just not in RL.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Not seeing why apartments right up on each other wouldn't work.  Trying to avoid more than one apartment per parcel is the real issue, trying not to have an apartment on floors 1, 2, AND 3, but just say the second floor.  That can be solved by building an apartment building where floors one and three are solid all the way through, kinda like you can't effectively build within the hulls of houseboats -- and it's really hard to build under them.  But apartments next to each other, different parcels, different owners, shouldn't be an issue.  Unless folks don't want to have neighbors.  But then, why pick apartments on the LH page?  Pick a cabin in the woods.  I just don't see it, but then, I'm more of an initial idea/brainstorm sort of creative than a "this is how we do it" creative.

I think I would love the underwater idea as put forward earlier in the thread but also mini castles, windmills and cave homes like in Greek villages. Would also be great to see a modern eco style version of the Elderglen Shire's Hearth homes. 

c8024a210bd0d7979ee0405832044663.jpg

Edited by Chloe Dolores
  • Like 5

• Moles

These are all wonderful ideas... and for the most part all ones we've considered at some point or even tested with full scale mock-ups of a region. Usually there is some mitigating factor that makes them less than feasible. 

There are some basic tenants of Linden Homes that can make a good idea for a home not a good idea for a Linden Home theme.

-Parcels cannot touch or be within 4m of a region border
-Parcels need to be a uniform shape so all of the house options will fit
-Parcels all have to be 1024. Narrow parcels means it is long and skinny. It's very difficult to arrange enough parcels like that in a region and still have it look right over dozens of regions.
-Enough common space needs to exist to support the LI of all the houses and deco content. Tall mostly false buildings with a single apartment would be hugely expensive simply due to size. How do they get to their apartment? Is there a stairwell and elevators for each home which means even more LI?
-It needs to be scalable. How does a farm/rural theme work with 1024 parcels? So... the fields would have to be protected land. Building a region takes roughly the same time whether it has 2 houses on it or 20. At maybe half a dozen farmhouses in a region, and we need at least 5000 homes... *does the math and has smelling salts ready for when he shows Patch*
-It needs to appeal to a broad audience. Underwater homes sounds cool, but how many people are actually willing to live in one? 

Those are just a few. There are many others. We do welcome the ideas though. ;)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Chloe Dolores said:

I think I would love the underwater idea as put forward earlier in the thread but also mini castles, windmills and cave homes like in Greek villages. Would also be great to see a modern eco style version of the Elderglen Shire's Hearth homes. 

c8024a210bd0d7979ee0405832044663.jpg

There's a very old island that the Lindens have maintained that has buildings like this.  It's on that list Adam Forgethislastnamezyckbuthealsogoesbyburp keeps.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

These are all wonderful ideas... and for the most part all ones we've considered at some point or even tested with full scale mock-ups of a region. Usually there is some mitigating factor that makes them less than feasible. 

There are some basic tenants of Linden Homes that can make a good idea for a home not a good idea for a Linden Home theme.

-Parcels all have to be 1024. Narrow parcels means it is long and skinny. It's very difficult to arrange enough parcels like that in a region and still have it look right over dozens of regions.
-Enough common space needs to exist to support the LI of all the houses and deco content. Tall mostly false buildings with a single apartment would be hugely expensive simply due to size. How do they get to their apartment? Is there a stairwell and elevators for each home which means even more LI?
-It needs to be scalable. How does a farm/rural theme work with 1024 parcels? So... the fields would have to be protected land. Building a region takes roughly the same time whether it has 2 houses on it or 20. At maybe half a dozen farmhouses in a region, and we need at least 5000 homes... *does the math and has smelling salts ready for when he shows Patch*
-It needs to appeal to a broad audience. Underwater homes sounds cool, but how many people are actually willing to live in one? 

Cool.  I knew there were a ton of parameters for LH's.

15 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

The optimist in me wants to read this as a chance for contemporary houses or chicago bunglawos (or something else new in style...give me bricks and stone!), but the pessimist wants to read this like X more variations of traditionals with slight tweaks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

-It needs to appeal to a broad audience.

I do think that classical french homes with posh gates around them would be very popular! Like the below in style but detached with their own courtyards...perhaps with less floors but with a nice attic level and those fancy oval windows. 

download (5).jpg

• Like 2

• Moles
13 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

The optimist in me wants to read this as a chance for contemporary houses or chicago bunglawos (or something else new in style...give me bricks and stone!), but the pessimist wants to read this like X more variations of traditionals with slight tweaks.

1227401505_gumpboth.png.94debef0c3a1dad27727cb51ebb9982b.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with this point, I'm not a big fan of large buildings whose most part is just a visual placeholder, to be able to only utilize a small portion of the whole building.

The only thing I don't get in this, though, is that some objects on Belli, like the "LH-Victorian - Tree Willow - Mature Large - v1.0" is 119 LI, in the age of 10-15 LI good looking mesh trees. A staircase in a 2-3 story building shouldn't be more than 20 LI in any way. An elevator in a 10-story high-rise should probably be even less, if there's only a ground level entrance and a top or any other level end where the apartment is. So it's only the exterior of a large building that really counts in your argument, a staircase or elevator per building shouldn't be a problem when it comes to land impact.

Edited by AlettaMondragon
bad typo
  • Like 1

• Moles
23 minutes ago, AlettaMondragon said:

The only thing I don't get in this, though, is that some objects on Belli, like the "LH-Victorian - Tree Willow - Mature Large - v1.0" is 119 LI, in the age of 1-15 LI good looking mesh trees. A staircase in a 2-3 story building shouldn't be more than 20 LI in any way.

The LDPW tries to build meshes to a high standard. We don't take shortcuts like sacrificing LOD so a huge tree turns into a jumbled triangle once you get more than 30m away to lower the LI for example. If it's going to be seen from 100m away it needs to look decent from 100m away, even at lower LODs. The same for houses and all our other objects. Yes, that tree is 119LI, but that is why you don't see more than 2 or 3 in a region and they are a featured focal point. Even if a staircase is 20LI... and you have say... 25 houses. That is 500LI, or in relative terms about 8-10% of our total LI budget for something that is not going to even be seen most of the time. And that is just for the staircases. It's a constant balancing act, weighing cost (Land Impact) to benefit (Visual Impact).

Edit: It's the same thing residents do on their parcels. Weighing the look of a lawn decoration against how much of their LI it is costing. A bench you found might look grand, but if you need 20 of them and they are 10 LI a piece, that is a big factor. The difference is we look at it over a region and continental scope, not just a parcel. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

The LDPW tries to build meshes to a high standard. We don't take shortcuts like sacrificing LOD so a huge tree turns into a jumbled triangle once you get more than 30m away to lower the LI for example. If it's going to be seen from 100m away it needs to look decent from 100m away, even at lower LODs. The same for houses and all our other objects. Yes, that tree is 119LI, but that is why you don't see more than 2 or 3 in a region and they are a featured focal point. Even if a staircase is 20LI... and you have say... 25 houses. That is 500LI, or in relative terms about 8-10% of our total LI budget for something that is not going to even be seen most of the time. And that is just for the staircases. It's a constant balancing act, weighing cost (Land Impact) to benefit (Visual Impact).

Oh good my life on the  Moon or Mars idea would be really low LOD, LOL!!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.