Other themes we'd like to see

Rabid Cheetah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everyone,

i don't have a linden home, but i so enjoy seeing all the fantastic decorating you all do with them.....it give me inspiration and shopping idea's : )

someone mentioned fantasy & undersea and i was thinking about something like this.....i know it would be similar to the HBs but it would still give that underwater feeling too : )

Have a great day !

Josephine

UNDERWATERHOME2020.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, Nika Talaj said:

[snip] But people who are requesting dry/desert are requesting a landscape, not a house, and for that you need several regions to really get that desert feel.  Same thing with underwater environments.

[snip]  We could ride for a LONG time through the (largely deserted, at that time) desert landscape, and then enter the greener part of Adam's humongous estate.  It was wonderful.  Nowadays, can residents make a desert on mainland?  You never used to be able to terraform, let alone change terrain textures, can you now?  [snip]

You can pack more separate places into a region with mesh than you used to be able to, but getting even 5 regions together to make a respectable desert or set of Grecian/Mediterranean islands or spacious underwater world is a pricey endeavor.  So we want you to do it!  *grins*

I remember a similar discussion in the forum a couple years ago.  Fundamentally, you're arguing that SL's continents need more biomes than "granite", "green grassland", "coastal", and "underwater".  Plus "snow" in Sansara.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chloe Dolores said:

Going to add Moroccan style Riad to this. Basic box shapes with internal arches and open courtyard garden with / without pool as the model options. 

ec0254b6fab6a0aa59b99c739f9db12d.jpg

I never noticed before:  Remove the pool and you have the saloon on a 19th century American paddle steamer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Josephine Carissa said:

Hello Everyone,

i don't have a linden home, but i so enjoy seeing all the fantastic decorating you all do with them.....it give me inspiration and shopping idea's : )

someone mentioned fantasy & undersea and i was thinking about something like this.....i know it would be similar to the HBs but it would still give that underwater feeling too : )

Have a great day !

Josephine

UNDERWATERHOME2020.jpg

An idea for a houseboat add on forms in someone's mind somewhere!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, LibGwen said:

I remember a similar discussion in the forum a couple years ago.  Fundamentally, you're arguing that SL's continents need more biomes than "granite", "green grassland", "coastal", and "underwater".  Plus "snow" in Sansara.

I'd just switch the moonstone (granite looks better) textures to sandstone, and where it applies (mostly Corsica) would make things look much better.

Actually, the same thing could be done with some other default textures, like the grass on Jeogeot and Satori, as a quick improvement. Especially Belli shows a good example that grassland terrain doesn't have to look old, bad and dull.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 1:50 AM, LibGwen said:

I never noticed before:  Remove the pool and you have the saloon on a 19th century American paddle steamer.

OMG now I'm imagining someone buying a boat like that, rezzing it at a lighthouse zone, and giving tours all over Belli.  Maybe even shows, too.  Assuming they can find someone with a good enough voice to belt out "Old Man River"

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 1:31 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

i think some people forget what the purpose is for Linden Homes. It never was meant to bring the most new developments in building or unique personal architecture for every individual resident.
And what;s so perfect in the current market?...

Agreed.

For me, and I suspect many others, the purpose of Linden Homes is that covenant and the assurance that my neighbor's build won't be some nightmare of inconsistency and lack of design, at least not on the outside.

(yes one of my neighbors has managed to put a bed halfway through an outside wall and leave it there for months... but that's still mild compared to  mainland).

The covenant brings a LOT of value to the table.

Yeah, the prefabs are not as amazing as the latest thing from Trompe Loell, and not as customizable. But they're still pretty good. I suspect they might actually be from Trompe Loell or another builder in that tier of quality - but then constrained a bit due to the needs of linden home layouts.

They DO look to be made to... actually... a higher quality standard the most of the 'current top for sale' items. The scripting and LOD management and UV mapping is superior to even the top brands we can buy... it's just the design is more constrained. And it's clear that is purposefully so.

On 9/19/2020 at 12:55 AM, julieare said:

I dont hold out much hope tbh, Lindern homes have always been outdated compared to what is in the Current Sl market, and Linden wont bring out something that has already been done, unless they have the permissions or work with that Designer, which i think is unlikely that they will do that as it monopoly's the market abit.

One of the top designers has been more or less 'outed' as being a mole working on the linden homes. I wont' say who... because you had to be here and in the inworld group at the right time when people figured this out looking at models. Either one of the moles is the same person, or they copied them so close it's DMCA time. All I will say is this one at least, was not my example above of Trompe Loell. I've seen some things that share broad theme with Trompe - but seem to have been built & styled very differently.

The reason Bellisseria is so top quality is that some of the best skills in SL are on that team - both linden and mole.

And they HAVE done things that we also see in models sold on the market. The trads, houseboats, campers, and vics all look a lot like themes folks have been buying for mainland and estates.

What differs is they were homogenized for mass production without mass-lag inducement. They render better, use smaller scripts, and have more thought put into the fact that they're designed to stay there inworld for years and not just until next month's designer event.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

For all the people who hit like on my suggestion of a southwestern theme, I have found one (maybe there are more, but I've just found one) shop that sells furniture and decorations in that style:  Zinnias by Zinnia Karu. Some of it's not as low prim as I wish, but some is, so I've used a few elements from there in my SL home (in particular the rugs which I used to make teleporting around inside my victorian easier).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

That's also why I think styles 7 and 8 will be 'more of the same'. They seem to not want to go too far out there.

giphy.gif

On 9/18/2020 at 8:21 AM, AlettaMondragon said:

open-uri20150608-27674-m6xfo_e2c4e766.jp

Totally need to do this.  ^

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for desert waste land if it included SL wind, random sandstorms and the occasional tumbleweed bouncing by.

I'd really like some kind of modern or futuristic theme.  I just got a houseboat (not my favorite style) and decided I would decorate in the least tropical/ocean theme possible.  It looks like a space capsule inside with holographic plants and food rezzers.  Now I need some kind of hoverboat to park outside.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.