Other themes we'd like to see

Rabid Cheetah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

The LDPW tries to build meshes to a high standard. We don't take shortcuts like sacrificing LOD so a huge tree turns into a jumbled triangle once you get more than 30m away to lower the LI for example. If it's going to be seen from 100m away it needs to look decent from 100m away, even at lower LODs.

/me confesses to using a little of the LH content on her private estate parcel just because of that terrific LOD.  Now, about those willows ... maybe 1?  Just as you say, a focal point?  Hmmm?

No?  How about a curved segment for the Log Home stone walls?  Yes, I know we have the textures, but they look so nice on your high-LOD meshies!  And, you know, they ARE outside.

*bats eyes*

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

And given how some of the existing themes are so similar (Vics/Trads), I do hope they're gonna do more than just eight styles.

Yeah. I'm of the opinion that Vics and Trads should be merged in the mailbox and called one theme on two different land styles.

They're way too similar.

That's also why I think styles 7 and 8 will be 'more of the same'. They seem to not want to go too far out there.

There's what I wish we could get (Jetson's /Star Was Cloud Cities, cities hundreds of meters underwater, fantasy, etc)...

And what I think is the best I could hope for (container houses, brownstones - still similar to what we have, but nice enough that I might like them).

3 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

-It needs to appeal to a broad audience. Underwater homes sounds cool, but how many people are actually willing to live in one? 

Yeah. That's key. Much as I love the idea of that underwater city - I did see someone build that once in SL and set it up as a rental estate. They got 0 takers, and closed pretty fast.

"Too cool" of an idea ends up having too niche of an appeal.

So... gotta look for the best idea that can be had within the framework of also appealing to the broadest possible audience. That's... not an easy objective.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alec Kaestner said:

How about HOBBIT HOMES (Earth Sheltered)?

That's actually 'somewhat' one of the old linden home themes.

As such the Lindens and Moles likely know already how viable such a theme is in terms of popularity. I suspect it's not... but I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Also wondering if house-makers and land-barons are pruning this thread for ideas 😁

The themes we have seen come out so far all seem to be echo'd in some of the commonly done themes from house-makers. It could be that the Lindens / Moles started by looking at what was selling well.

It's a common theory also that some of those Moles are actually well known merchants that got invited into the Mole team as a result... and if that's true, they probably brought their expertise on what sells well with them to the team.

• Like 4

I would like a watery theme (like Houseboats or Stilt Homes) to be adjacent to coral reef regions.  I would like the coral reef to be TRULY magical, such as I have never witnessed in SL but have in RL (underwater SL builds are so often jokey/tacky, with pirate-y details and unimaginative glowing plantings, and makeshift things like particle fish schools).  The underwater region at Fantasy Faire had promise, tho, with some epic buildings, great fantasy plants soaring over the sea floor etc..

I would like there to be mer/aquatic animal parcels within or bordering that reef.  OK, so you won't rent thousands of aquatic parcels ... but if done well enough I bet a WHOLE lot of folks would give it a try.    I bet Jinx could make a pile of nice aquatic avatars pretty quickly, don't you think?   Who doesn't want to be a dolphin?  A baby manatee? Maybe a great white shark?  For me, a manta ray.  An entire school of clown fish?  Decent versions of some of these already exist; not every aquatic home has to be mer!  

Are there couples dances for manta rays?  Oh there should be!

/me is tempted to make her minisub into an avatar and get a parcel with an underwater ruin as one home option.

The reef could also feature occasional portals, sort of like the mole boat garages in houseboat regions or ranger stations in camper areas, where residents could effect a nice transition between their aquatic selves and their land identities, instead of just changing outfit's and TPing to Permaglow. 

/me begins to sketch a cage elevator dripping with kelp.

I would also like one recreational region to have a dead/dying reef with links to information on this RL emergency.  SEE the difference between a living reef and a dying one.

• Like 7

I have said what I want in previous threads about the same, I don't remember more of what I said than modern, raw and grey/black wood, concrete, exposed bricks and big windows. The outside modern too. Meadowbrook! Loftroom! Mesh, upgraded and refined versions of these.

Or desert/ dry environment style. I like the new plants in the Stilt homes area. Give us new desert landscaping. Cacti, red sand and Sequoia trees.

Combine modern homes with dry landscaping. That would feel new and refreshing instead of the wood paneling.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Fay Starlight said:

Oh good my life on the  Moon or Mars idea would be really low LOD, LOL!!

While both are smaller than Earth, I'm pretty sure their curvatures are beyond 1024 meters, the max draw distance.  Also, Mars isn't flat and empty.  It's very rocky, and would require a lot of detailing.  It's got a huge and deep canyon, and the tallest mountain in the solar system.  But a Mars-simulation, like what's being built in Dubai, would work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

While both are smaller than Earth, I'm pretty sure their curvatures are beyond 1024 meters, the max draw distance.  Also, Mars isn't flat and empty.  It's very rocky, and would require a lot of detailing.  It's got a huge and deep canyon, and the tallest mountain in the solar system.  But a Mars-simulation, like what's being built in Dubai, would work.

Okay smarty pants....hehehe (Just joking) 
So let's go full make believe fantasy planet! Like Avatar the movie!!! :)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah. I'm of the opinion that Vics and Trads should be merged in the mailbox and called one theme on two different land styles.

They're way too similar.

That's also why I think styles 7 and 8 will be 'more of the same'. They seem to not want to go too far out there.

There's what I wish we could get (Jetson's /Star Was Cloud Cities, cities hundreds of meters underwater, fantasy, etc)...

And what I think is the best I could hope for (container houses, brownstones - still similar to what we have, but nice enough that I might like them).

Yeah. That's key. Much as I love the idea of that underwater city - I did see someone build that once in SL and set it up as a rental estate. They got 0 takers, and closed pretty fast.

"Too cool" of an idea ends up having too niche of an appeal.

So... gotta look for the best idea that can be had within the framework of also appealing to the broadest possible audience. That's... not an easy objective.

I had an underwater place a while ago, didn't charge rent, it was just a place to explore, next to a boardwalk area I also owned, with Linden waterway between them.  A few folks came by to ride the Ferris wheel and carousel, but that's it.  No one went in the water, let alone down below.

11 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I would also like one recreational region to have a dead/dying reef with links to information on this RL emergency.  SEE the difference between a living reef and a dying one.

Great idea!

I'd like to see, for April Fool's or Earth Day or even all of a sudden out of nowhere for awareness, a complete flooding of Belli in line with predictions for what it's going to be like when the seas rise in RL due to our idiocity with planetary climate management.  I've seen estimates in the two meter range, estimates as high as six meters, and even a sci-fi/ecological story where the Antarctic ice sheet didn't slowly melt -- it suddenly broke off, smashed into the ocean, raising sea-levels by 25 meters in some areas.

From time to time, I'll go to Belli rez zones near the sea and rez a block of the expected height of the sea rise, then follow the line of the top of it towards nearby houses.  It ain't pretty.

Speaking of not pretty, it won't be nice blue water, either.  Flooding of industrial areas by the sea will turn the oceans into a yucky brown toxic mess, a literal planetary toilet bowl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fay Starlight said:

Okay smarty pants....hehehe (Just joking) 
So let's go full make believe fantasy planet! Like Avatar the movie!!! :)

lol Sorry.  As stated before, I'm reading Kim Stanley Robinson's trilogy about Mars.  He's a very scientifically accurate and thorough author.

I've only seen the first half hour or so of Avatar so far, but kinda get the idea.  I'd borrowed a DVD of it from the library, but it was scratched up more than Force MD's record collection.  Avatar is on my Disney+ watchlist, I'll have to go check it out.

Update:  Wowzers, that was a great movie!  🙂

Edited by Rabid Cheetah

So they probably wouldn't do Mars, and our canyon idea either, since they'd have to put about 2000 LI of rocks in a region, but a simple desert theme would apparently fit in with the LI-compact approach. If some cacti and dry plants would still be too much, they could go for an absolute Sahara theme:

2017-04-18-07-05-46-900x598.jpg

It could have an urban sub-theme too, no problem!

2007102428.jpg?VwVXsfXKVjZyZkWzjLKokQpX9

Or a few homesteads:

open-uri20150608-27674-m6xfo_e2c4e766.jp

• Like 4

I'd like to see just one of the themes not follow normal. The whole "wide appeal" guideline has me worried there's going to be nothing for those of us who would like to live in something that would never be seen RL. There doesn't need to be 5000 of every theme they do, does there? A little creativity would be beautiful to see happen.

• Like 7

• Moles
12 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

There doesn't need to be 5000 of every theme they do, does there?

Well... if we're going to but many many months of development and thousands of mole hours into making I theme, yeah... it kinda does. There is still a place where creativity reigns supreme and anyone can live in whatever pops their toaster (even a toaster). Mainland. 😁

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have said what I want in previous threads about the same, I don't remember more of what I said than modern, raw and grey/black wood, concrete, exposed bricks and big windows. The outside modern too. Meadowbrook! Loftroom! Mesh, upgraded and refined versions of these.

Or desert/ dry environment style. I like the new plants in the Stilt homes area. Give us new desert landscaping. Cacti, red sand and Sequoia trees.

Combine modern homes with dry landscaping. That would feel new and refreshing instead of the wood paneling.

This! This! This! Oh, and this 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

There is still a place where creativity reigns supreme and anyone can live in whatever pops their toaster (even a toaster). Mainland. 😁

if you just want a certain type of house, like a toaster or a modern house or a brick/sandstone home, I suppose that's true.  But people who are requesting dry/desert are requesting a landscape, not a house, and for that you need several regions to really get that desert feel.  Same thing with underwater environments.

We lived on a large ranch in the old, interconnected Azure Estates for a few years.  The desert was over 15 regions IIRC, and we lived on the edge.  We could ride for a LONG time through the (largely deserted, at that time) desert landscape, and then enter the greener part of Adam's humongous estate.  It was wonderful.  Nowadays, can residents make a desert on mainland?  You never used to be able to terraform, let alone change terrain textures, can you now?   I think of custom landscaping as more of a private island thang.  Private islands are where creativity reigns supreme, in truth.

You can pack more separate places into a region with mesh than you used to be able to, but getting even 5 regions together to make a respectable desert or set of Grecian/Mediterranean islands or spacious underwater world is a pricey endeavor.  So we want you to do it!  *grins*

• Like 3

I dont hold out much hope tbh, Lindern homes have always been outdated compared to what is in the Current Sl market, and Linden wont bring out something that has already been done, unless they have the permissions or work with that Designer, which i think is unlikely that they will do that as it monopoly's the market abit.  The container houses have been done by many great mesh builders also the geek island, there is even a geek vacation/rental resort i believe.  If they bring something out that is unique, that is nicely made, low prim and modern textures & advance lighting affects , i would prob go buy a prim account myself. But as there market seams to me more focused on new player to SL then keep the older ones happy, (which in my mind is odd, as it the more experienced players spend alot more money in SL then the newbies do) then we are already at a losing battle with the house being of good qty, as the lindens know, newbies are easily impressed , as they do not no any difference, and it seams  to me with this they dont care like you or I do, what the community of house on the horizon looks like.  (This is my option Only, been playing SL since early 2006 have a paid account twice)

23 minutes ago, julieare said:

I dont hold out much hope tbh, Lindern homes have always been outdated compared to what is in the Current Sl market

i think some people forget what the purpose is for Linden Homes. It never was meant to bring the most new developments in building or unique personal architecture for every individual resident.
And what;s so perfect in the current market?... nearly everybody copies themes from eachother,..concrete and glass these days with fountains next to the door...  insane big spaces what need far oversized parcels and landscaping to fit.
Or the 13 in a dozen "modern" furnished homes? ...your neighbours walking in all the time because they don't see the difference? ..animations that were already old 15 yrs ago?..

Even in the same themed Linden Home regions there's more individuality .
Perfect for their purpose. It's always been the answer ; want more? ..go to mainland

• Like 5

*Sighs* I'll most likely not get the fantasy theme I am hoping for. Fairy type homes, whimsical and colorful. I just find the trads and victorians, and even the upcoming stilt homes soooo similar. Was hoping for something really different in style. I do love almost all the themes we  have thus far, don't get me wrong. I even hope that they put more trad styles in the mailbox for us to use. Great job to all the moles and Lindens. We greatly appreciate all the hard  work you put into SL homes for us. ❤️

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.