What happened here?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I was in Black Dragon in the middle of a hunt.. Looked away for a minute and I was disconnected.  Happens sometimes, no bid deal.. Closed the viewer but when I tried to connect again and was weird because it said that my password and or name were incorrect...
Then I tried on Firestorm and i got this message:1032181849_cantlogin.thumb.png.8a2ab875445b62576717eb757ff0e7b3.png

All my accounts were erased (as you see it says: "username" instead of the last avatar used.  So I freak out.. Went to log in here and couldn't.. I tried another account and I could.  So then I tried to change my password and now it's all good, I could log in successfully.. but the question remains: wtf happened?? (since I can't understand that message, maybe because I'm in paranoid mode)

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This happens whenever my home network goes down. It could be that the viewer tosses the stored username/password sets when it detects a change in network address, as some sort of precaution against hacking.

Oh, interesting.. So it could be that I was logged out because a failure in my internet, and than what you said.. Never happened to me before.. I thought It was a hacking attempt  😅
But it was kind of weird that I couldn't use my password anywhere...

Edited by Elisaisabel Munro

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_stored_passwords#failed_to_decode_login_credentials

On 4/14/2017 at 3:27 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

This is unfortunately expected behaviour with the way login credentials are stored.
The login credentials are hashed using the machine ID. Larger Windows 10 updates often issue a new machine ID - hence the saved login credentials can't be decoded.

Other than what the error message says, the above things make it happen too. The only time I remember getting it, except one when it was a router change, is when Windows gets a build update.

2 hours ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

Oh, interesting.. So it could be that I was logged out because a failure in my internet, and than what you said.. Never happened to me before.. I thought It was a hacking attempt  😅
But it was kind of weird that I couldn't use my password anywhere...

If you generally don't have to type in your passwords, then you may have just mistyped it.  I don't save my passwords, and even though I type them in everyday, sometimes my fingers apparently can mistype it several times in a row, until I slow down and really look at what I'm doing. 

14 hours ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

1032181849_cantlogin.thumb.png.8a2ab875445b62576717eb757ff0e7b3.png

All my accounts were erased (as you see it says: "username" instead of the last avatar used.  So I freak out..

This happens in 2 cases..
#1 Your new MAC address is different from the old one (Lan/Wifi adapter changed)
#2 Your bin_conf.dat file has been erased for whatever reason or corrupt.

In simple words don't worry about it.

21 hours ago, Moira Timmerman said:

If you generally don't have to type in your passwords, then you may have just mistyped it.  I don't save my passwords, and even though I type them in everyday, sometimes my fingers apparently can mistype it several times in a row, until I slow down and really look at what I'm doing. 

Well, that's the first thing one can think of regarding this issue.. No matter how many times, the password didn't get trough

8 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

This also happens in Windows when there has been a system update applied, whether in the background or otherwise. I've experienced it and have seen others talk about it in FS support.

This could have happened on Black dragon because I was playing with that viewer, but I guess It could be true with it too

On 9/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, Nick0678 said:
#2 Your bin_conf.dat file has been erased for whatever reason or corrupt.

This is the most likely. The error message specifically says your account data file has been corrupted, which is the bin_conf.dat. If i remember correct this file can be found in the AppData folders which Windows likes to touch when it shouldn't... like so many things. Goes right into line with having to re-install VCRedist after a major Windows update.

I've had something similar happen occasionally. There's a kind of default log-in screen that sometimes appears with a picture of a temple or lighthouse or something. If I get that I don't try to log in but wait a while and things are usually back to normal. Logging in the the default screen used to reset most of my settings to default so I avoided using it as much as possible.

Edited by Conifer Dada

On 9/7/2020 at 6:04 PM, Elisaisabel Munro said:

Well I was in Black Dragon in the middle of a hunt.. Looked away for a minute and I was disconnected.  Happens sometimes, no bid deal.. Closed the viewer but when I tried to connect again and was weird because it said that my password and or name were incorrect...
Then I tried on Firestorm and i got this message:1032181849_cantlogin.thumb.png.8a2ab875445b62576717eb757ff0e7b3.png

All my accounts were erased (as you see it says: "username" instead of the last avatar used.  So I freak out.. Went to log in here and couldn't.. I tried another account and I could.  So then I tried to change my password and now it's all good, I could log in successfully.. but the question remains: wtf happened?? (since I can't understand that message, maybe because I'm in paranoid mode)

Happens to me all the time,,,on my win10 laptop an OS update usually. But i notice on my MACbook it happens randomly and without any OS update.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.