How to see difference between Fake Lindens / Real Lindens?

CruellaDiavule

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was just given 20k lindens, (from a friend, but I don't usually trust all people on SL, even the ones on my friend list.) and I got super scared immediately cause I was thinking "Oh no, I've recieved possible fake lindens, how do I see if its real? How do I go about this? will I get banned forever now?" I dunno, I'm scared, if the lindens are real, I'll be super grateful, but if they are fake, how do I KNOW completely that they are fake?

37 minutes ago, Schimeon said:

I was just given 20k lindens, (from a friend, but I don't usually trust all people on SL, even the ones on my friend list.) and I got super scared immediately cause I was thinking "Oh no, I've recieved possible fake lindens, how do I see if its real? How do I go about this? will I get banned forever now?" I dunno, I'm scared, if the lindens are real, I'll be super grateful, but if they are fake, how do I KNOW completely that they are fake?

There is no such thing as FAKE L$ - they are all real - though there is such a thing as L$ gotten via fraudulent means.  It is the fraud that you need to worry about, and likely that is what you meant. 

If the person said they meant to give them to you, but you still feel unsure, follow Molly's advise about the support ticket.  Otherwise, enjoy your good fortune.

• Like 4

Just now, Schimeon said:

Ummmm...Okay, unlikely, this is from a friend, and I asked him about why he gave me so much, and gave me an explanation, sooo not really sure what ur on about.

you didn't say in your OP that you had contacted the person who gave you the money and they said they meant to give it to you

if this still worries you then hold on to the money and don't spend it. And raise a Support Ticket to document that you have this money and you are querying it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schimeon said:

Yeah but still, I've done a support ticket, and the linden staff didn't really confirm if they were "hacked lindens" or whatever.

this would be the expected Linden response when we ask about another account holder (I received X$ from Y, is this legit ?).  Linden will never give us information about another account holder

should the USD payment method method of purchasing the L$ turn out to not be legit then Linden will not confirm or deny this to you, They will just reclaim the L$ from your account

the objective of the support ticket was to document, for your peace of mind, the receipt of this amount of L$ for reasons unknown to you. So that should a complication arise at some later time then you have proactively laid a paper trail detailing your involvement

when we are receive money that we don't know why it was given to us then the first and most common reason is that the person made a mistake - they mean't to give it to someone else

the best thing to do is not immediately think of a nefarious reason,  to think that it is a simple mistake and give it back to the person who gave it us. Who 99 times out of 100 will IM us and say: thankyou! so much

when we try to find the person in Search and they do not show up then we can help to protect ourselves by giving the money to Governor Linden and raise a Support Ticket saying that we got L$ from this person. That we can't find them in Search to give it back. So we gave the money to Governor Linden

this provides a paper trail of our involvement which Linden can check and because of which our account will not be at risk at all

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There is no such thing as FAKE L$ - they are all real - though there is such a thing as L$ gotten via fraudulent means.  It is the fraud that you need to worry about, and likely that is what you meant. 

If the person said they meant to give them to you, but you still feel unsure, follow Molly's advise about the support ticket.  Otherwise, enjoy your good fortune.

Right, thanks, my other friend said that i should wait for two days before spending it, cause if it is fake, then linden labs will send me an email confirming ithe money came from an auhtorized source, so I'll do the both.

• Haha 1

Even better, @Schimeon, file a Support Case using the Help>Support>Create Case link on this website.  Include the details of the gift, as shown in your $L Transaction History in your Account section.  ASK Linden Lab if this gift is legitimate.  Then, don't spend it until you get a response.  If it's legit, you're fine!  If it's not, LL will remove the money from your account, but you will not get into any trouble.

• Like 3

If when your friend gave you 20K lindens they landed in your balance at the top of your viewer screen, then there is no doubt they are real linden dollars.  If you had been passed something like a voucher saying they had given you 20K lindens, that would be like having no more than an I.O.U. 

Maybe your friend is a generous person, but I would have my suspicions too. Recently a really good friend of mine passed me some linden dollars and I was very uncomfortable with it and simply gave it back.  A truly good friend would not put you into an uncomfortable situation really, so you need have no qualms about taking Molly's advice and raising a support ticket, just to be sure the money hasn't been acquired by your friend from ill gotten gains, ie via fraudulent means.

8 hours ago, Schimeon said:

Ummmm...Okay, unlikely, this is from a friend, and I asked him about why he gave me so much, and gave me an explanation, sooo not really sure what ur on about.

don't you think your original question was a bit premature? Now you filed a ticket on a , most likeley, innocent friend you brought his account in danger, or at least locked/on hold for several days... gréat friend you are.

7 hours ago, Schimeon said:

Aight, I did the support ticket, thank you! this was the most helpful response ever! I stated that I just want a confirmation if they are duped lindens or not.

And yes, duped lindens are a thing, people have gotten banned from it before, and some viewers/hackers on SL has duped lindens in the past.

[citation needed]

• Like 3

I don't think $L can be "duped" or duplicated.  However, it's possible to use a stolen credit card to buy $L, and those are fraudulent.  Some people try to get others in trouble by gifting them with these fraudulently obtained $L, and it can get you banned.  This is why I suggest you report large gifts and ask Linden Lab to check them.

13 hours ago, Schimeon said:

And yes, duped lindens are a thing, people have gotten banned from it before, and some viewers/hackers on SL has duped lindens in the past.

No, there is no such think as "duped", "duplicated", or "fake" lindens - the L$ anyway, as there have been people pretending to be Lindens inworld and those are definitely Fake Lindens.

Neither people nor viewers can duplicate Linden $$.  People can obtain them fraudulently and that will get folks in trouble.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

On 7/24/2020 at 8:29 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't think $L can be "duped" or duplicated.  However, it's possible to use a stolen credit card to buy $L, and those are fraudulent.  Some people try to get others in trouble by gifting them with these fraudulently obtained $L, and it can get you banned.  This is why I suggest you report large gifts and ask Linden Lab to check them.

Well the staff that responded to me was completely useless, didn't really give me a yes or no answer if the linden dollars were duped or fraudulent, all they could reply to me was "well if you are UNSURE then you should send the lindens back."

Of course I'm unsure recieving such huge amounts of lindens, anyone else would be, they didn't even bother to check if the linden dollars were real or not.

Well the staff that responded to me was completely useless, didn't really give me a yes or no answer if the linden dollars were duped or fraudulent, all they could reply to me was "well if you are UNSURE then you should send the lindens back."

Of course I'm unsure recieving such huge amounts of lindens, anyone else would be, they didn't even bother to check if the linden dollars were real or not.

You can send them to me and I'll let you know if I was able to spend them.

Can't even see the joke for the humor. :(

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Schimeon said:

Anywho, yes, there are viewers and there are script/hacks to dupe linden dollars on Second Life

If is NOT possible to duplicate L$.  L$ are not even an inworld physical item, so there is nothing to duplicate.  L$ are nothing more than a number tied to your account and the information is stored on the Linden servers.  Changing that info in any way, other than the already defined methods of increasing/decreasing the balance, could only be done via a system hack.

It is possible to steal L$ by hacking accounts and it is possible to obtain them via fraudulent means, but none of that is duplicating the money.  Duplicate means to make an exact copy of something and that is just not possible with L$.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If is NOT possible to duplicate L$.  L$ are not even an inworld physical item, so there is nothing to duplicate.  L$ are nothing more than a number tied to your account and the information is stored on the Linden servers.  Changing that info in any way, other than the already defined methods of increasing/decreasing the balance, could only be done via a system hack.

It is possible to steal L$ by hacking accounts and it is possible to obtain them via fraudulent means, but none of that is duplicating the money.  Duplicate means to make an exact copy of something and that is just not possible with L$.

Yeah but still, I've done a support ticket, and the linden staff didn't really confirm if they were "hacked lindens" or whatever.

I know there are YouTube videos touting illegal viewers that supposedly create "free" $L.  None of these actually work.  Some of them ask you to pay money for them, and others may steal your personal information.  Using any of them can get you permanently banned.  Don't do it.

9 hours ago, Schimeon said:

"great friend you are." at the expense of getting banned you mean? If I spend these duped L$, I'll possibly get banned if they are duped or fraudulent linden dollars, you'd it in the same position if it was you, so don't even try it.

YOUR report brings your friends account in danger. You still don't seem to see the serious accusation you made to him without reason.
You are not in danger for getting stolen L$, LL can see a lot concerning transactions and behaviour from the residents.
All you tell here are the usual urban myths and hearsay gossip.

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

YOUR report brings your friends account in danger. You still don't seem to see the serious accusation you made to him without reason.
You are not in danger for getting stolen L$, LL can see a lot concerning transactions and behaviour from the residents.

I disagree, Alwin.  Innocent people have gotten suspended or banned because someone gave them a large "gift" of fraudulent $L.  Reporting such a transaction is just protecting yourself.  If it's legitimate, the giver will not get in trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:
7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I disagree, Alwin.  Innocent people have gotten suspended or banned because someone gave them a large "gift" of fraudulent $L.  Reporting such a transaction is just protecting yourself.  If it's legitimate, the giver will not get in trouble.

Yep, I well recall the forum thread(s) discussing this peculiar form of griefing.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I disagree, Alwin.

thats possible, as i do with your answer here, but didn't see the need to explicitly tell that, was in the understanding answers can be different sometimes. OP was talking about a FRIEND .. thats or not a friend or OP is in suspicious company... the first response by a gift is that it is fraudulus and reported is absurd.

36 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

thats possible, as i do with your answer here, but didn't see the need to explicitly tell that, was in the understanding answers can be different sometimes. OP was talking about a FRIEND .. thats or not a friend or OP is in suspicious company... the first response by a gift is that it is fraudulus and reported is absurd.

A friend's account may not actually be the friend you think.  Someone else may be using the account, for any number of reasons (such as the friend having fallen for a phishing scam).  I've seen a "friend" posting obvious phishing/malware links in group chat, in a group we both belonged to.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

A friend's account may not actually be the friend you think.  Someone else may be using the account, for any number of reasons (such as the friend having fallen for a phishing scam).  I've seen a "friend" posting obvious phishing/malware links in group chat, in a group we both belonged to.

you'r right Lindal... totally right,  ok now?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.