Jump to content

The new SL logo and Olmec Art


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I'm a little surprised others hadn't made the connection in the past 16 years. The spiral... the sacred circle. Stars, planets, galaxies, all are circular. Everywhere you look you see the sacred circle even if you don't recognize it.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01534540

Hm. Maybe this should be posted in the BLM thread.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "spiral" in the centre of the hand in the SL logo is supposed to represent an eye; I had always presumed it was derived from/inspired by the "hamsa hand" from traditional Hindu art:

image-450w-307294247.jpg

If you do a google image search for "hamsa hand" you can find many variations of this design; I picked this one because it's blue.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm a little surprised others hadn't made the connection in the past 16 years. The spiral... the sacred circle. Stars, planets, galaxies, all are circular. Everywhere you look you see the sacred circle even if you don't recognize it.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01534540

Hm. Maybe this should be posted in the BLM thread.

I think it is due to how things have a tendency to become a sphere after they amass certain amount of mass coupled with other formative factors, and form a spherical formation as extrapolated by orbital mechanics 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lucagrabacr said:

I think it is due to how things have a tendency to become a sphere after they amass certain amount of mass coupled with other formative factors, and form a spherical formation as extrapolated by orbital mechanics 

It's called gravity.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Yes, but I meant the recent update (top left of the page) is visually very similar to this.

The only thing changed about the logo is the color. It changed from green to blue.
Second Life - Wikipedia

Map of SL in 2003. Note the logo (click to enlarge).

second-life-2002.jpg

 

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
Added larger map
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

The only thing changed about the logo is the color. It changed from green to blue.
Second Life - Wikipedia

Map of SL in 2003. Note the logo (click to enlarge).

second-life-2002.jpg

 

The text has also changed. The font is different and it is now white instead of green.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

The only thing changed about the logo is the color. It changed from green to blue.
Second Life - Wikipedia

Map of SL in 2003. Note the logo (click to enlarge).

second-life-2002.jpg

 

Very true.    I wonder why it seemed (still seems) so different to me --  maybe it was the effect of the changed contrast with the background that made me think it had been re-drawn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

The only thing changed about the logo is the color. It changed from green to blue.
Second Life - Wikipedia

Map of SL in 2003. Note the logo (click to enlarge).

second-life-2002.jpg

 

actually the shape of the eye was changed too from the original. there was a post made about this once before that showed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...