Group owned land that suddenly has issues

Blue Luckstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Our group owned land suddenly will not allow us to rez anything, we get this message "Unable to create item that has caused problems on this region." The land now has zero items rezzed.

We have had some Bots parking close by recently, for over a week, so we wonder if they have caused this issue. We have not seen any SL messages about issues. Is there a way to report Bots that are nearby but not on the group land?

11 minutes ago, Blue Luckstone said:

Our group owned land suddenly will not allow us to rez anything, we get this message "Unable to create item that has caused problems on this region." The land now has zero items rezzed.

We have had some Bots parking close by recently, for over a week, so we wonder if they have caused this issue. We have not seen any SL messages about issues. Is there a way to report Bots that are nearby but not on the group land?

Bots don't cause such issues, and bots are totally allowed. If they are in a amount to cause problems on the same region, thán they are reportable. But so are (for example) also your group members if they cause trouble.
Most likely the region needs a restart.

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Bots don't cause such issues, and bots are totally allowed. If they are in a amount to cause problems on the same region, thán they are reportable. But so are (for example) also your group members if they cause trouble.
Most likely the region needs a restart.

We've never had to do this, how do we ask for a region restart? Thank you

8 minutes ago, Blue Luckstone said:

We've never had to do this, how do we ask for a region restart? Thank you

contact support, links to the support pages are on every main section of the forum.( in the most right column) You can do it by ticket, but lots faster If you'r premium use Livechat (opening hours mentioned on the support page.)

https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

https://gyazo.com/04fee4d5a1750a3ef5bdbc759533b703

• Like 2

I have a private group for just my alts and close friends.  I set it up so that they could rez things on my land, and so I could have my alts set their home there.  I'm having the same issue.  It's no longer enough to belong to the group,  they now have to make my group the active one.  It looks like LL changed something.

ETA: I just submitted a ticket for this.

Edited by Rhun DeCuir
More info

38 minutes ago, Rhun DeCuir said:

I have a private group for just my alts and close friends.  I set it up so that they could rez things on my land, and so I could have my alts set their home there.  I'm having the same issue.  It's no longer enough to belong to the group,  they now have to make my group the active one.  It looks like LL changed something.

am pretty sure that this has always been the case for group members who are not also group owners

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rhun DeCuir said:

ETA: I just submitted a ticket for this.

It has always been like this. The land permissions system could never go into peoples profiles and find every non-active group they belong to. Your friends/alts have to activate your group. Unless the response is: "Unable to create item that has caused problems on this region." , this does not have anything to do with the group permission system.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It has always been like this. The land permissions system could never go into peoples profiles and find every non-active group they belong to. Your friends/alts have to activate your group. Unless the response is: "Unable to create item that has caused problems on this region." , this does not have anything to do with the group permission system.

14 hours ago, Mollymews said:

am pretty sure that this has always been the case for group members who are not also group owners

No one has ever had to activate the group in order to rez.  I know for sure, because I have done this as my alts.  I never have the group active on them, and was able to rez. Now, I can't unless I activate the group.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, Rhun DeCuir said:
On 6/11/2020 at 12:44 AM, Marianne Little said:

On 6/10/2020 at 7:34 PM, Mollymews said:

No one has ever had to activate the group in order to rez.  I know for sure, because I have done this as my alts.  I never have the group active on them, and was able to rez. Now, I can't unless I activate the group.

Could be viewer differences -- has whoever is having problems changed viewers recently (or changed viewer settings - see next sentence)?

Firestorm viewer has a setting that will attempt to do do things on group land as if the group was active, even if it isn't -- i.e. rez with group tag even when group is not currently active.  I think that applies to the ability to Set Home also.  

I didn't think that the LL viewer ever had that setting and I have no clue about other viewers.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I didn't think that the LL viewer ever had that setting and I have no clue about other viewers.

Catznip has it, under the "Catznip" preferences tab. But I kinda don't think that's what's happening here. I just tried it with my alt (without that "rez under land group" option enabled) and he could rez on group land without the land group active as long as he was a member of the group (and the rezzed objects were set to his active group, in contrast to when that "rez under land group" option is enabled).

This depended, however, on what Abilities were associated with the group Roles to which he was assigned. Specifically, if he had a role that included the ability "Always allow 'Create Objects'" he could rez on group land without the land group active, but if none of his roles included that ability, he had to have the group active to rez.

This ability is of course included in the "Owner" role, as @Mollymews suggested above.

So I'm guessing somebody either changed the definition of a group role, or changed which roles the individual member was assigned.

(Of course this is all for group land that allows Build by "Group" but not by "Everyone".)

[ETA: And this group rezzing ability has nothing to do with the old "Unable to create item that has caused problems on this region" problem, which can be a sim physics memory problem affecting all objects or a (not very reliable) history of problems with specific objects.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Catznip has it, under the "Catznip" preferences tab. But I kinda don't think that's what's happening here. I just tried it with my alt (without that "rez under land group" option enabled) and he could rez on group land without the land group active as long as he was a member of the group (and the rezzed objects were set to his active group, in contrast to when that "rez under land group" option is enabled).

This depended, however, on what Abilities were associated with the group Roles to which he was assigned. Specifically, if he had a role that included the ability "Always allow 'Create Objects'" he could rez on group land without the land group active, but if none of his roles included that ability, he had to have the group active to rez.

This ability is of course included in the "Owner" role, as @Mollymews suggested above.

So I'm guessing somebody either changed the definition of a group role, or changed which roles the individual member was assigned.

(Of course this is all for group land that allows Build by "Group" but not by "Everyone".)

Interesting.  I hadn't understood the specifics of some of those settings before - just sort of assumed based on what I did know and what I could do.

Via testing, I also see that it behaves differently for land that is deeded to group versus set to group - which does kind of make sense.  For my Mainland parcel, which is deeded to the group, the Officers have the "Always allow 'Create Objects'" permission and can thus create objects regardless of what group is active.  For the non-Officers, they can only rez when the group tag is active.  My Linden Home, which is owned by an alt in the land group, is only set to the land group (same land group as the Mainland parcel).  When I'm is at the Linden Home, even though I'm an Officer in the land group (thus with the "Always allow 'Create Objects'" permission), I cannot rez anything unless the group is active.

I always thought the Firestorm preferences option played into the ability to rez, but that apparently only controls what group is assigned when an item is rezzed (and therefore whether it might end up getting auto-returned).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

aha! thanks!

i will look into this as my land is group-owned

I got a response to my ticket.  Essentially, it was "Use the official viewer.  Third party viewers are not recommended."

Obviously, this is a useless response.

I rent a parcel to a friend.  So I deeded that land to the group.  He can rez now.  I'll just have to keep the group active on my alts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.