Transfer shapes with alts

SileneDivinity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, items that have "no transfer" permissions cannot be transferred between accounts.  As far as the system is concerned, what we call an alt account is a completely separate account.

If what you want to transfer is a shape (and not the mesh body), if it's a shape that you made and is not marked "no transfer" in your inventory, then you can share that with another account.  To share a transferrable item, you right click on it in inventory, then select share, and then in the pop-up box, select who you want to share the item with. 

• Like 2

• It WOULD be a good idea, (IMNSHO) if LL would allow inventory sharing between alts.
  • Obviously, this would require some (or a lot of) oversight. 
  • Perhaps if it was limited to PREMIUM accounts, registered to the same eMail address AND credit card number.
  • Then, perhaps require the account hold to register them as known alts.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alec Kaestner said:
  • It WOULD be a good idea, (IMNSHO) if LL would allow inventory sharing between alts.
  • Obviously, this would require some (or a lot of) oversight. 
  • Perhaps if it was limited to PREMIUM accounts, registered to the same eMail address AND credit card number.
  • Then, perhaps require the account hold to register them as known alts.

Creators would revolt, or DRASTICALLY increase their prices - and it would be warranted.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Creators would revolt, or DRASTICALLY increase their prices - and it would be warranted.

I hate it when I see both sides of the argument. I get very aggravated at not being able to share items I paid for between my accounts. My account info is right there, and yada about that whole side of things. (Plus, I guess I'm just a cheap-assed avatar owner.) But, yes also to what you said. Sigh.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Or it might lead to an increase of no copy but transferrable items.  It seems like when I started, that was more common than it is now.  Or landscape vendors that would sell two versions of an item - one version transferrable, but no copy, and a second version (with a higher price tag) that was copy but no transfer.   Particularly for landscape and furnishings, I prefer copy/no transfer, as I always seem to have several houses around different parts of the grid, and no matter how I try to diversify, I have favorite furnishings and landscape items that I re-use at each of my houses.

As far as clothes and bodies, if you want all your accounts to have the same type of appearance and wear the same clothes, you just need to buy them separately for each account. Personally, in that case I would really re-think about why I thought I needed multiple accounts. 

• Like 2

The biggest issue is that all of the current stuff was created based on the premise that items would not be transferable between accounts unless a Transfer version was bought.  If I created something that I sold as No Transfer and then suddenly LL changed the rules and that item could be passed around accounts, even with restrictions like the accounts had to be linked together somehow, I'd still be ticked as hell.

As a merchant (which I'm not, but I like to try seeing things from their point of view just in case I decide to ever start selling some of my creations), I'd be super pissed about it.  Unless LL came up with a new permission that allowed Transfer ONLY between linked accounts (and some way of mostly guaranteeing that the linked accounts for truly for the same behind-the-keyboard person) AND if that new permission defaulted to NO for all 'existing' items that are not already Transferable.

I would have prefered clothing (most of all, but perhaps some other stuff too) to be no copy, but modifiable and transferable just like in RL :D  I would love to be able to borrow clothes from or to my friends, and give away or sell stuff I do not use anymore - again, just like in RL :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

But this is something that could actually increase sales. Because I cannot transfer to an alt. I do not create alts. If I could I would make alts, and having more options in SL would increase my demand for things, there are probably things that Are not worth the price to me now, but with the added value of being able to transfer between alts would be worth it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

But this is something that could actually increase sales. Because I cannot transfer to an alt. I do not create alts. If I could I would make alts, and having more options in SL would increase my demand for things, there are probably things that Are not worth the price to me now, but with the added value of being able to transfer between alts would be worth it.

But it isn't fair to the person that created it.  If the person creating it wanted to, they could easily put out a transfer version.  You could always contact creators about specific items to see if you could buy a Transfer version. 

Way back in the earlier days, there seemed to be a lot more items that were put out with both sets of permissions -- you could buy a Copy version or a Transfer version.  These days, that seems to only hold true for some very small batch of items.  Possibly because the vendor 'gifting' feature took care of the need to buy a Transfer version in order to to gift it to someone.

While we, the consumer, might benefit a lot from a rule change like that, it truly would not be fair to the people creating things under the premise that their items would be handled a certain way.  It is not fair for LL to change those rules mid-stream.  

As I mentioned above, I wouldn't have any issue if LL wants to create a new permission type, that cannot apply to old items unless the creator does an update to the item allowing the new permission on it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

The only circumstance in which I think transferring your inventory to an alt is a good idea is when it's a one-time, one-direction-only transfer of your entire inventory at once to a new account. For instance if you want to discontinue your current account and start afresh. Furthermore I think it's something that only Linden Lab should be able to do; you'd have to submit a support ticket and verify that both accounts belong to you. And that you would never be able to do it again with the same inventory items; anything that has been transferred in this way already would have to remain where it was. Otherwise, no. If creators want their items to be transferrable they'll make them with transfer/no-copy perms.

It's an interesting thought actually. I've recently started dabbling in making clothes; is transferrable clothing what customers want? Even if packs are sold in a single size (no multi-packs containing fits for several bodies together)?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

The only circumstance in which I think transferring your inventory to an alt is a good idea is when it's a one-time, one-direction-only transfer of your entire inventory at once to a new account. For instance if you want to discontinue your current account and start afresh. Furthermore I think it's something that only Linden Lab should be able to do; you'd have to submit a support ticket and verify that both accounts belong to you. And that you would never be able to do it again with the same inventory items; anything that has been transferred in this way already would have to remain where it was. Otherwise, no. If creators want their items to be transferrable they'll make them with transfer/no-copy perms.

I agree with the above circumstance when a transfer might be permissable, and having that function only performed by LL through a support ticket.  I think not having this functionality is what keeps a lot of people from wanting to create a new account when they are suffering on-going harassment from someone. 

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

It's an interesting thought actually. I've recently started dabbling in making clothes; is transferrable clothing what customers want? Even if packs are sold in a single size (no multi-packs containing fits for several bodies together)?

My opinion is not a good gauge for this second question, because I am not a big-time shopper.  Being able to transfer clothes was not something I ever thought about before, and probably not something that I would use.  

On 5/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, taisiyakarpenko said:

I would have prefered clothing (most of all, but perhaps some other stuff too) to be no copy, but modifiable and transferable just like in RL :D  I would love to be able to borrow clothes from or to my friends, and give away or sell stuff I do not use anymore - again, just like in RL :)

This is actually very reasonable. I'm wih you in this. Creators should offer transferable clothing for example, or no copy but transferable pets, this way couples (for example) could have 1 pet to take care of together and not have to seperately buy one of the same. But I think this will not EVER be possible because... well, money..

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:45 PM, taisiyakarpenko said:

This is why I buy secondhand gacha. Let us say I want to take a picture with my alts in Halloween costumes. I can send items back and forth. Gacha mesh clothing and accessories 1-3 years old can have great quality and very low prices.

On 5/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, Maitimo said:

I think the majority want copy, in case they lose the clothes by mistake (deleting) or inventory loss. Every time we have gacha threads, the demand for copy is very strong. Especially when it is modifiable items. It is easy to tint and maybe mess with the texture box. I buy cheap gacha because I can afford to lose it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Allegra2 said:

But I think this will not EVER be possible because... well, money..

I don't think that creators will switch from Copy versions to Transfer versions (that would likely cost them sales), but they could add Transfer versions without it really costing much money.  It doesn't cost the creator anything more to create a Transfer version of their items.  It will cost them another LI to put up a 'Buy Transfer Version' object for selling it - so a second object per item to sell or use a vendor that can swap between the two versions.  To add a Transfer version after already having things set for the Copy version would probably require a new ad texture, so another texture fee.  If they plan for both up front, then they could still use a single ad texture for both versions.

In most cases, it is still unlikely to happen on things like clothing.  I just don't think there is enough demand for it.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, Seicher Rae said:

I hate it when I see both sides of the argument. I get very aggravated at not being able to share items I paid for between my accounts. My account info is right there, and yada about that whole side of things. (Plus, I guess I'm just a cheap-assed avatar owner.) But, yes also to what you said. Sigh.

I'm not certain the effects for shapes would really be that drastic. Everything else, yeah; but shapes are generally pretty cheap (and some there be that have recently wondered whether we should pay for shapes at all).

9 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I'm not certain the effects for shapes would really be that drastic. Everything else, yeah; but shapes are generally pretty cheap (and some there be that have recently wondered whether we should pay for shapes at all).

I am 100% sure that the title is a misleading. The original poster says:

On 5/10/2020 at 12:30 AM, SileneDivinity said:

Hi! Is it possible to transfer my belleza mesh body to one of my alts? If so, how would I do that?

Emphasis mine.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.