Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

only the lunatic klan fringe was maskless... so that Klan is now worried.

What worries me though, is Herr Trumpf has the best doctors in the world, will likely recover quickly, and will thus have his belief that the virus is 'fake news' reinforced... becoming further disinclined to assist us peasants...

Yeah, no doubt he'll emerge with his usual rhetoric, downplaying the seriousness of the virus due to his speedy recovery, and his delusional followers will continue to believe mask-wearing is unnecessary. Of course he won't take into account his speedy recovery relates to the exceptional medical treatment he received with a 10 person team and cutting edge therapies that are denied to those who aren't wealthy.

He has no concern for us, as you say, "peasants" -- those millions already thrown off health insurance in the middle of a pandemic as they lost their jobs providing that health insurance, nor those he tries to prevent from keeping health care as he continues with his assault on the Affordable Care Act due to be voted on in November with his new conservative judges. The destruction of the ACA would throw 20 million off health insurance as well as make millions more ineligible due to having pre-existing conditions, protected now with the ACA.

30,000 Americans die each year due to lack of affordable health care -- how many more will die when we add in the Covid complications?

I won't even go into the thousands he allowed to die due to his inept handling of the Covid crisis in the US.
I wish no person death, but I'm sure not going to feel concerned about him -- he never has cared about us.

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Of course he won't take into account his speedy recovery relates to the exceptional medical treatment he received with a 10 person team and cutting edge therapies that are denied to those who aren't wealthy.

Are you sure those "cutting edge therapies" aren't being given to those who are sick?  That is how the health sector of the stock market makes other's rich by those cutting edge therapies being approved and not only approved but "future earnings" as well as the stock market works to what is "forward looking" in many ways.

I read the president is taking Remdesivir.   I think it's all a manipulation to manipulate Giliad Science stock price as far as Remdesivir anyways.  We have no way to know if he is really sick or not.  One cannot take Remdesivir if they have liver problems though, I think.  I'm not up to speed about everything Remdesivir.  

Edited by FairreLilette

41 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Are you sure those "cutting edge therapies" aren't being given to those who are sick?  That is how the health sector of the stock market makes other's rich by those cutting edge therapies

Experimental therapies, not yet approved by the FDA, are sometimes allowed even though they haven't been thoroughly vetted -- it's called "compassionate use" or "expanded access" and applies to one of his treatments (not the drug you referred to). Usually approval takes some time, if approved at all. He was able to be treated within a period of hours.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/10/03/watch-trump-releases-twitter-video-shortly-before-leaving-for-hospital/

https://www.bing.com/search?q=compassionate+use&form=QBLH&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=compassionate+use&sc=8-17&qs=n&sk=&cvid=00C2F6461EB7423A99DCC01C9F6C3116

To the larger point though, presidents and all our members of government (along with wealthy citizens) always receive far better health care than much of the rest of society. In the unfair healthy system we have in the US (compared to other countries that treat everyone irregardless of ability to pay) it's often a matter of how much power or money you have and what strings you can pull that determines the treatment you receive.

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is why I pretty much only read news from the AllSides web site these days.

I'd not heard of this place, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Li'l.

From their masthead... "Unbiased news does not exist; we provide balanced news and civil discourse."

Translated into English, "We too are capable of blatant self contradiction within a single sentence".

When I was young, Dad would pay me a nickel for every such instance of intra sentence self contradiction I could find on the front page of the newspaper. Had that been in our paper's masthead, I'd have had a steady income!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

To the larger point though, presidents and all our members of government (along with wealthy citizens) always receive far better health care than much of the rest of society. In the unfair healthy system we have in the US (compared to other countries that treat everyone irregardless of ability to pay) it's often a matter of how much power or money you have and what strings you can pull that determines the treatment you receive.

I think you are dreaming imagining there is no favoritism in those countries that have universal healthcare. To be quite honest, I feel a leader of a country and others in power should have a fast track anyway. Trump as well as other national leaders are in positions that put them in a lot of contact with many different people for the sake of the country and wearing a mask is not always easy for someone who has to do a lot of talking and be understood.

Edited by Arielle Popstar

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

From their masthead... "Unbiased news does not exist; we provide balanced news and civil discourse."

Translated into English, "We too are capable of blatant self contradiction within a single sentence".

I saw that to mean that they present both biases and that is what they are balancing. Up to the individual which bias if any one decides to accept. The one or two articles i skimmed over, made no judgement as to which bias they favoured.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
clarifying
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I saw that to mean that they present both biases and that is what they are balancing. Up to the individual which bias if any one decides to accept. The one or two articles i skimmed over, made no judgement as to which bias they favoured.

How do you know there is no bias in their determination of bias?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think you are dreaming imagining there is no favoritism in those countries that have universal healthcare.

Oh sure there is favoritism in all countries as the wealthy always have the option of buying additional health insurance outside the state-sponsored or single-payer system that covers all citizens.

The issue is -- and this is very important -- nobody goes without health care in these other countries as they do in the US, because nobody is denied care if they can't afford to pay. But millions in the US don't have health insurance, and if the Republicans have their way we're getting ready to add many more to the roles.

24 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I feel a leader of a country and others in power should have a fast track anyway. Trump as well as other national leaders are in positions that put them in a lot of contact with many different people for the sake of the country and wearing a mask is not always easy for someone who has to do a lot of talking and be understood.

While I could agree that certain members of society should receive preferential treatment based on their importance to the smooth functioning of society there are MANY citizens that could fit into this category who don't receive preferential treatment. So why preferential treatment only for themselves? 

But to the main issue that bothers me -- it's very hypocritical to pass laws which give your own group (governmental employees) the greatest health insurance in the world while voting to deny health insurance to millions of Americans. I think we can see here the goal is simply to take care of themselves. But then, I think this is the motto of the Republican party -- "we take care of ourselves only".

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

The issue is -- and this is very important -- nobody goes without health care in these other countries as they do in the US, because nobody is denied care if they can't afford to pay. But millions in the US don't have health insurance, and if the Republicans have their way we're getting ready to add many more to the roles.

The issue is that if you don't like the system, move to a place where they have the nirvana you seek. The constant complaining only stresses you and everyone around you out to the point they will NEED healthcare. 

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

How do you know there is no bias in their determination of bias?

As they said, there is always some bias everywhere.  The site does give me more options though and based on the feedback of readers and various writers, they do a fairly good job of indicating which articles are extreme left/right viewpoints versus something closer to the center.  Yes, the 'center' definition itself is a subjective thing, but they do try to get many people across multiple spectrums to agree to the various labels.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The issue is that if you don't like the system, move to a place where they have the nirvana you seek. The constant complaining only stresses you and everyone around you out to the point they will NEED healthcare. 

Debate Fail

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

People are dying due to lack of health care and you are berating me for "complaining" about it?  What is wrong with you? 

It's not some sort of "nirvana" to insist that we allow all US citizens to have access to health care like they do in other countries....JC 

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's not some sort of "nirvana" to insist that we allow all US citizens to have access to health care like they do in other countries....JC 

There is a cost to Universal health care and it would appear that so far, The usa is not willing to pay for that. It's a democratic country isn't it, so safe to assume that it represents the majority position whether the country is being led by republicans or democrats?

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There is a cost to Universal health care and it would appear that so far, The usa is not willing to pay for that. It's a democratic country isn't it, so safe to assume that it represents the majority position whether the country is being led by republicans or democrats?

I don't think it is the majority position -- it's the position of those who managed to be in power and set the rules.

We need to go to the root of the philosophy of those in power -- they see being poor as a moral failing  -- as a failure to to pull up those bootstraps.  Many of them actually believe in a kind of social Darwinism or survival of the fittest where they deem it okay to let the weak die off.  I believe that how we treat the poor shows the value of our society, and that at this point in time we actually have the money to provide for the poor but instead funnel that money to the wealthiest because we over-value individualism and see limiting their money as taking away freedom.  But what about freedom for the poor?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't think it is the majority position -- it's the position of those who managed to be in power and set the rules.

We need to go to the root of the philosophy of those in power -- they see being poor as a moral failing  -- as a failure to to pull up those bootstraps.  Many of them actually believe in a kind of social Darwinism or survival of the fittest where they deem it okay to let the weak die off.  I believe that how we treat the poor shows the value of our society, and that at this point in time we actually have the money to provide for the poor but instead funnel that money to the wealthiest because we over-value individualism and see limiting their money as taking away freedom.  But what about freedom for the poor?

Is that how those in power see poverty? Sounds like a generalization to me. How about the root philosophy of poverty? What do you think that is? I have seen and experienced poverty in my lifetime and have some idea what brings that about. Curious as to what you think it is though.

• Like 1

I think @Arielle Popstaryou need to read below the headlines, the fights between the Dems and Repubs as they try to have the power. Deeper into the philosophies underneath the parties.

It's just a fact....as the parties stand today the Repubs stand for funneling more money to the wealthy.  The Dems stand for funneling some of that money to the poorer in our country -- however......they haven't done a good job of this as they became neo-liberal.  Still, they do manage to throw a few more bones to the poor, and they do stand for health care for all in this election.  Since thousands die due to lack of health care, for this reason and a few others, my vote will go to them.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Is that how those in power see poverty? Sounds like a generalization to me. How about the root philosophy of poverty? What do you think that is? I have seen and experienced poverty in my lifetime and have some idea what brings that about. Curious as to what you think it is though.

You first...lol.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think @Arielle Popstaryou need to read below the headlines, the fights between the Dems and Repubs as they try to have the power. Deeper into the philosophies underneath the parties.

It's just a fact....as the parties stand today the Repubs stand for funneling more money to the wealthy.  The Dems stand for funneling some of that money to the poorer in our country -- however......they haven't done a good job of this as they became neo-liberal.  Still, they do manage to throw a few more bones to the poor, and they do stand for health care for all in this election.  Since thousands die due to lack of health care, for this reason and a few others, my vote will go to them.

I think the Dems/Liberals like to tell you want you want to hear to get your vote but if they do throw out some bones once in power, will claw it back in other ways. Sorta like a campaign I seen in Canada years ago after a minority Conservative government lost a non confidence vote for putting in a bill for raising the cost of gasoline by something like 18% triggering an election. During the election the liberals campaigned how they would limit it to 5% and based on that they won a majority government. End result was by the time they were halfway through the term, they had incrementally raised the price over 25%. 

Conservatives tend to tell you what you don't want to hear whereas liberals will promise the world but in the end, neither deliver.

20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

and they do stand for health care for all in this election. 

As far as this...do you have a link?  I read Biden does not believe in Medicare for all.  So what then?  

Plus, people can still get Obamacare but it's not free and it's gotten pricey now.  

Also, I've not heard of any people being turned away from ER's if they have coronavirus.  So what's going on with the poor aren't being treated for coronavirus in your posts?  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think the Dems/Liberals like to tell you want you want to hear to get your vote but if they do throw out some bones once in power, will claw it back in other ways. Sorta like a campaign I seen in Canada years ago after a minority Conservative government lost a non confidence vote for putting in a bill for raising the cost of gasoline by something like 18% triggering an election. During the election the liberals campaigned how they would limit it to 5% and based on that they won a majority government. End result was by the time they were halfway through the term, they had incrementally raised the price over 25%. 

Conservatives tend to tell you what you don't want to hear whereas liberals will promise the world but in the end, neither deliver.

I don't know about this specific situation, but from my observation in Social Work whenever Repubs came into power many programs that were benefitting the poor were eliminated or cut.  Programs like Head Start where poor POC kids could start receiving assistance early to hopefully have a better life. And other kinds of assistance for poor mothers (therapy, food assistance).   Once the Dems were in power again the programs opened up again for the poor.

Most of my experience is in direct help we give to the poor via various Social Work programs.

Edited by Luna Bliss

49 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

and they do stand for health care for all in this election. 

As far as this...do you have a link?  I read Biden does not believe in Medicare for all.  So what then?  

Plus, people can still get Obamacare but it's not free and it's gotten pricey now.  

Also, I've not heard of any people being turned away from ER's if they have coronavirus.  So what's going on with the poor aren't being treated for coronavirus in your posts? 

Biden supports the public option for health care -- this means everyone can be covered if they choose the public option -- even the poorest. Private insurance will still be available for those who want it. Go to Biden's website to see his platform.

Regarding Obamacare, not true ...not all people can get Obamacare...your income has to fall within certain parameters. You can earn too much to qualify for Medicaid (health care for the poorest) yet not earn enough to qualify for Obamacare.  In other words, there's always been a big hole that the working poor fall into.    If you do qualify for the ACA however, the cost is tied to your income so that a low-earner will pay much less. But the Repubs want to do away with Obamacare (ACA) altogether so I suppose all this doesn't matter if Trump is elected again.

ER myth -- it does not substitute for health care -- it's only for emergencies. If you're dying, yeah, the ER has to treat you. But people with health conditions including Covid will need other types of care that the ER does not cover -- the effects of Covid for some can be extensive as it affects all organs. There are a few charities that can help some, but not for something like a liver transplant or other costly procedures, but even this depends on where you live (more likely to get help in a city vs a rural area).

Unless paying out of pocket you must have health insurance in order to be assured of care in the US.  For a woman from age 40 to age 65 adequate health insurance can be anywhere from $800usd plus to over $1300usd monthly -- and even when paying this much you often pay for deductibles and copays!

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

How about the root philosophy of poverty? What do you think that is?

It's a very complex topic -- what causes poverty. If I could simplify the cause though I'd say it's that those in power (the capital class) in society will squeeze as much as they can from those who have less power (the labor class). We have some laws to protect the labor class and limit the powers of the capital class but the labor class is very much getting the short end of the stick in the US.

The above is a systemic view, but I think you, Arielle, only see the individual in this analysis and tend to blame the individual. I glean this from so many of the discussions we've had.

I don't discount that the individual plays a part in the problem, but am only pointing out that the system we live in should receive much more blame than they generally do under a conservative mindset -- we need to seek more solutions to poverty in the conditions surrounding the individual. 

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.