Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
41 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Give me a break....the Rose Garden Massacre  (nomination of Barrett for the supreme court) was a super-spreader event because few were masked....we have very little government at top levels left atm not infected with Covid.

Plus, the majority of Democrats weren't out on the streets protesting....the US population is HUGE and those out on the streets made up only a small fraction. Your theory holds no water. That could be a motto for most of your theories btw.

Well there you go, you proved my point in that your Rose Garden Massacre is a small example of what happens when a bunch of people get together without social distancing and a few not wearing masks. The RGM was a microcosm of what happens everyday in all the Democrat cities as a result of the continued protesting and riots. Very small wonder the USA has such high case counts and deaths. 

Colloquially it's called the Rose Garden Massacre where they met outdoors -- the main event -- but they met indoors for various other functions as part of it.

Protestors don't generally meet indoors and they are moving (a breeze dissipates virus particles), so far less Covid spread in these events.

I'm not sure what your purpose is here though by comparing Republican vs Democrat events...does it really matter which party spreads more Covid?   Or is this just another attempt to demonize BLM?

Edited by Luna Bliss

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I used median income as a proxy for an assessment of health care systems. I don't think the last six months unraveled the last 60 years of US health care system architecture development. If it did, we're toast.

I don't have the article handy, but I just read that US GDP took a bigger hit, and is recovering more slowly, than China, Japan, South Korea and much of Europe. It's hard to find a way to make the US look good in all this, no matter how you slice the data.

I'm just going by the measurements that are out there is all..

I didn't place the countries where i wanted them to go.. I was going by what the places that were taking the daily data said..

30 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:
31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Bet you got that from CNN and other left leaning media.

Anyone who thinks CNN is left leaning is not worth bothering with anymore...

CNN is center-right.

You are so good with politics...would you be willing to define just what 'left' and 'right' means today?

It seems these days anybody who doesn't like Trump or points out he's batshirtcrazy and factchecks his frequent lies is automatically deemed by the right to be far-left.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

You are so good with politics...would you be willing to define just what 'left' and 'right' means today?

It seems these days anybody who doesn't like Trump or points out he's batshirtcrazy and fact-checks his frequent lies is deemed to be far-left.

Technically it refers to which side of the tennis court you choose to sit on when the King of France declares you must all meet to do tax reform. 😜

(And yes... that's actually where it comes from... little known fact that the French Revolution that resulted in all those heads rolling was started by the King... Put that at the top of your list of 'things that had unintended consequences').

If you sit on the right, you believe in absolute power of the monarchy as ordained by god.

If you sit on the left, you believe the legislature should have the right to submit proposals. If you sit on the radical left - maybe even sometimes with extreme approval possibly consider believing that it might be ok to hint to the King that he's wrong about something and politely request he change his mind by offering him a veto to approve and then rush to church to pray for forgiveness...

Eventually folks on the left started thinking we don't need kings, folks on the right... started thinking we don't need people on the left...

- those positions don't seem to have changed much over the centuries...

But it was the guys on the left who made the guillotine. It was also mostly their heads that were lost to it... oops...

'today'...

right and left are basically stances with 'diluted meaning' in the USA... because our 'left' is the world's center...

typically right stands for things the modern GOP also doesn't stand for:

- globalization, industry, central strong authority, the idea that wealth is a reward for moral conduct and poverty is a punishment for immorality, liberty of the individual, property rights.

left is typically:

- labor, rights of the masses as supreme, the idea that wealth is gained from immoral exploitation, freedom of expression, equality, community.

Note how I have set 'liberty' and 'equality' against each other - this is actually where the biggest divide in the US 'sparks' itself into a fire...

In the US religious and gender notions enter this, with the right traditionally standing for strong gender roles (women, with pants on, the shame!), the father figure, an religions that have authority figures and dogma (rules) of conduct.

The left then takes up the counter point of fluidity over gender roles (women, with pants on, right on!) and now also gender identity, the family as a cooperative unity, and decentralized faith that lacks dogma but instead offers spiritual guidance.

- that's super broad, and misses a lot... but it captures some of the essence.

Notice how half the things on the list of 'right' were actually positions taken by Bill Clinton and Barack Obama as well as by both Bushes and Reagan... thus... the USA's "left" is the world's center. Labor and the idea that wealth is exploitation (income inequality) haven't been positions backed by any mainstream US politician for almost a century until Sanders and now also AOC and the others that came in with her.

Notice ALSO how I do NOT list climate change or denial - because outside of the USA belief in science is NOT political, and in the USA it also wasn't until extremely recently... A lot of our most powerful environmental regulation was put in by past right-wing administrations.

We now have people on the left starting the anti vaccine movement and people on the right denying climate science.

Stupid doesn't have a political alignment.

In one sense these are both capitalist moves. Vaccines push down 'herbal remedy homeopathic alternative medicine' business... and climate science pushes down fossil fuel business... That said, anti-vaccine is now present more on the right, but it was started by the left... But both of these are examples of people's politics being manipulated by industry to put off changes that would help people but harm their business models.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not sure what your purpose is here though by comparing Republican vs Democrat events...does it really matter which party spreads more Covid?   Or is this just another attempt to demonize BLM?

Getting to the crux of what is causing the high numbers is important if one wishes to find ways to slow that down. Vague handwaving at Trump in an attempt to shift responsibility for the state of the covid numbers doesn't do that and just blinds people to what needs to be done to overcome the effects of this pandemic.

29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It seems these days anybody who doesn't like Trump or points out he's batshirtcrazy and factchecks his frequent lies is automatically deemed by the right to be far-left.

Left of center but way, way right of you. You appear so far out in left field, you're mostly outside the park.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

From numbers I have seen, democrats and minorities had/have higher incidences of contracting Covid than conservatives in the USA. 

It couldn't possibly be that more densely populated areas that were hit the earliest happen to be more democratic and minority than less densely populated rural areas. You don't get to count all those deaths in liberal New York City because most of them happened before the protests started.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

It couldn't possibly be that more densely populated areas that were hit the earliest happen to be more democratic and minority than less densely populated rural areas. You don't get to count all those deaths in liberal New York City because most of them happened before the protests started.

DeBlasio downplayed the Corvid threat from day one and the protests were just a continuation of that. New York is just a prime example of what the lack of lockdowns and PPE's can do.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/03/30/de-blasio-nyc-officials-downplayed-covid-19-threat-after-trump-restricted-travel-to-china-here-are-5-examples/

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
22 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

DeBlasio downplayed the Corvid threat from day one and the protests were just a continuation of that. New York is just a prime example of what the lack of lockdowns and PPE's can do.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/03/30/de-blasio-nyc-officials-downplayed-covid-19-threat-after-trump-restricted-travel-to-china-here-are-5-examples/

lol...the Heritage Foundation?  Another great sourcing of info....

26 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Getting to the crux of what is causing the high numbers is important if one wishes to find ways to slow that down. Vague handwaving at Trump in an attempt to shift responsibility for the state of the covid numbers doesn't do that and just blinds people to what needs to be done to overcome the effects of this pandemic.

A president is a role model whether we like it or not. And by Trump going against the best medical advice which recommends mask-wearing to prevent the spread of Covid so he could appear as a 'strongman' -- well the Mango Mussolini is directly responsible for the death of thousands. Not to mention his denial of the seriousness of Covid early on when it mattered most (proved by his taped interviews with Bob Woodward).  This, and more, is no "vague handwaving" at Trump -- he botched the Covid response.

And btw, in case I didn't make it clear before, to assert that conservatives don't wear masks because BLM has been too forceful is just flat crazy. 

27 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Left of center but way, way right of you. You appear so far out in left field, you're mostly outside the park.

Give me a break...for months you've done nothing but spout alt-right theories and sourced alt-right websites and writings. And now you've sourced them again -- the Heritage Foundation.

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yeah, they locked down as early as almost anyone and it's been under control there for months. 

50 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The left then takes up the counter point of fluidity over gender roles (women, with pants on, right on!) and now also gender identity, the family as a cooperative unity, and decentralized faith that lacks dogma but instead offers spiritual guidance.

Thanks for all that...

Did you see last night when Pence tried to paint Kamala as not respecting the rights of religion in the Barrett discussion, and Kamala came back with "Joe and I are people of faith ".  :)

Heaven forbid Pence as president...I see the robes of Handmaid's Tale just  imagining it.  I wonder how far these evangelicals would attempt to go, or how far they actually could go..

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

A president is a role model whether we like it or not. And by Trump going against the best medical advice which recommends mask-wearing to prevent the spread of Covid so he could appear as a 'strongman' -- well the Mango Mussolini is directly responsible for the death of thousands. Not to mention his denial of the seriousness of Covid early on when it mattered most (proved by his taped interviews with Bob Woodward).  This, and more, is no "vague handwaving" at Trump -- he botched the Covid response.

And btw, in case I didn't make it clear before, to assert that conservatives don't wear masks because BLM has been too forceful is just flat crazy. 

Medical advice in the early stages was all over the map. Here in Canada masks, (even homemade ones) weren't suggested until well into the pandemic. Very few leaders were commended for their responses then or even now as there are those who think the lockdowns have gone too far and those who think they haven't gone far enough. And to be frank, since you were all hot and bothered promoting the protests even if some lives were lost, why would you be criticizing Trump for doing the very thing you yourself wanted the protesters to do?

If I made that statement somewhere, show me a link so i can see the context. No doubt you misread it as you often do to people's posts you don't like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If I made that statement somewhere, show me a link so i can see the context. No doubt you misread it as you often do to people's posts you don't like.

And why so many many many of us just roll our eyes and move on to the next thread.

OIP (1).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
28 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Expand  

Medical advice in the early stages was all over the map. Here in Canada masks, (even homemade ones) weren't suggested until well into the pandemic. Very few leaders were commended for their responses then or even now as there are those who think the lockdowns have gone too far and those who think they haven't gone far enough. And to be frank, since you were all hot and bothered promoting the protests even if some lives were lost, why would you be criticizing Trump for doing the very thing you yourself wanted the protesters to do?

I am talking about NOW -- he won't promote mask-wearing now -- and defiantly ripped off his mask at the top of the steps on return from hospital in his 'Evita' rendition of insanity...then turned to his staff inside as he spewed his Covid breath from an unmasked mouth.

The protests have/had a purpose -- to bring attention to a gross inequality where POC have suffered for ages. It's the way major change has occurred throughout history, and while unfortunate that extreme incidents can happen in the chaos, to stop this vital method of change would be a travesty.

Trump -- his reluctance to wear masks is based on his need to feel strong, and a way to play to his base and their obsession with free-dumb - a political move.  It's gross negligence and so far apart from the mission of the protests that for you to connect them shows you don't have much of a clue about anything.

Edited by Luna Bliss

16 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Yeah, they locked down as early as almost anyone and it's been under control there for months. 

Cuomo ordered nonessential workers to stay home from work starting on March 22, as coronavirus cases were in the midst of a rapid, exponential growth that overwhelmed hospitals. But his and de Blasio's delayed actions came too late to prevent the sharp spike in cases in the densest and most populated city in America.

Slow early response

Cuomo has earned rave reviews for his daily press conferences during the crisis. But both he and de Blasio were slow to aggressively shut schools, events and social gatherings in the early days of the outbreak.

Say again?

Peeves that possibly are caused by Covid-19 and in the increase in people coming back.

1. Politics on SL. (We see enough of it RL, can't escape it, its everywhere you turn. Lets keep it out of SL. It does no good for anyone on SL but create a division between people)

2. Skyboxes at ground level. (Its rude and selfish to neighbors in area who take the time to landscape/deco)

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

The US perhaps had some different dynamics from the protests and riots that were happening there, where thousands of people flaunted any suggestions about social distancing or masking. Though we also had some protests, it was not so "in your face" as it seemed to be south of the border. Had it been, I'm not so sure we Canadians would have been as nice about adhering to the suggested distancing rules either.

The above on page 52 is per your request:
"If I made that statement somewhere, show me a link so i can see the context. No doubt you misread it as you often do to people's posts you don't like." 

As you can see in your original statement, you are blaming the supposed "in your face" behavior of the BLM protestors in the US as the reason why batshortcrazy Trumpers in the US aren't "nice" about distancing and wearing masks.

Edited by Luna Bliss

A great source for Covid knowledge is Laurie Garrett. There are interviews on YouTube, various podcasts, and info on her website:

Laurie Garrett:

Laurie Garrett wrote her first bestselling book, THE COMING PLAGUE: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance, while splitting her time between the Harvard School of Public Health and the New York newspaper, Newsday. In the 1992-93 academic years Garrett was a Fellow at Harvard, where she worked closely with the emerging diseases group, a collection of faculty concerned about the surge in epidemics of previously unknown or rare viruses and bacteria.

https://www.lauriegarrett.com/

Edited by Luna Bliss

53 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As you can see in your original statement, you are blaming the supposed "in your face" behavior of the BLM protestors in the US as the reason why batshortcrazy Trumpers in the US aren't "nice" about distancing and wearing masks.

The "in your face" comment was in reference to how the media presented the whole protest and riots in the USA, with plenty of pictures and videos of protesters without masks and crowded together. It was all through our news and very "in our faces". With the precedents BLM was setting through all of it, it was a small wonder that others were also ignoring the orders to mask and social distance. Would be hypocritical to expect one party to do so and not the other.

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I pretty much ignore "cases" because that's an uncontrolled independent variable. Metrics based on that are approximately useless. In the extreme, if you never tested anyone, you'd have zero cases. That has been Trump's line of reasoning and he's right.

I don't see it reported much, but I think "excess deaths" is an interesting metric.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

I'm curious, with there not being a cure for those that got it and pretty much only being able to make someone comfortably with treatment and just hope they got better. How would better health care have saved more lives?

I think it's a good question to ask.

I know they are trying some things that work on some people, but there is not really a treatment yet other than making someone comfortably..

20 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm curious, with there not being a cure for those that got it and pretty much only being able to make someone comfortably with treatment and just hope they got better. How would better health care have saved more lives?

I think it's a good question to ask.

I know they are trying some things that work on some people, but there is not really a treatment yet other than making someone comfortably..

a lot of people get really sick, and some die, because the virus triggers other health issues and complications they have. Breathing for example. Adequate healthcare systems provide things like ventilators and staff to monitor these

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.