Average bandwidth used for secondlife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know it is all dependent on what you do in SL. However, I am going again to a work location that has only wifi and I will need to use a hotspot from Verizon for accessing internet and SL. I will be gone 6 months so, I was curious what sort of a plan I need to get from Verizon hotspot, I know the unlimited is very much limited but being a non geek, not sure how to figure out how much I need.

Thanks, I know that using sl on wifi is not recommended but sometimes its all you got. I was able to use SL on a satellite internet connection at glacier park , however it was severely limited.

I might look into getting hard wire line because I will be there so long, but not sure if it is available.

Thanks.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

3 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I exclusively use WiFi for SL - works fine generally, unless the WiFi is overloaded (hotels and airports)

This will be  a RV camp and up to 80 rv's as well as cabin and tent campers. So, from what I understand it is pretty boggy. Although I do have a camp pro 2 (wifi range extender) Will be a nice experiment....

NetSpeedMonitor is one of those tools. Despite its age and the initial warning, it can still run under Win10. It has a pretty option to show the current traffic as part of the taskbar and it keeps logs for you.

In general, you should probably optimize your cache ... max out the size, "download" you mostly visited places and hope that there won't be too many updates.

My guess is that avatars and their textures will be the largest drain on your download speed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Windows has its own built in data use control panel. No app needed.

Hmm:

image.png.02f526f5e98410d9ea7dfd9d7e3d623a.png

You must have to actually turn it on somehow, but for the life of me, I don't see any sort of on/off setting.  How do you flip the switch, so to speak?

I think it is in the control panel privacy, then in app diagnostics. Click on the change button for "Allow apps to access diagnostic info about your other apps" and turn it on. It’s weird that you must click on the change button first. I tried resetting my data usage meter to zero, and with that privacy setting off I had no data usage showing. Turning it on made my data usage begin to show a measurement again.

• Thanks 1

If by Verizon hotspot you mean the 'free WiFi that they broadcast out of the routers of all their customers... it's very bad...

That stuff is barely usable. I've even seen their service techs come knocking on my door asking if they could borrow access to my WiFi because the Verizon one makes 1996 Dialup look fast.

I imagine it can be location dependent though... but if it's your option it likely won't be enough...

16 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

My bot on a text client uses 1gb a day idling in a empty sim.  So milage can very.

A couple of years ago I had to use my cell network to connect to SL for a couple of weeks & the data usage was pretty horrific & expensive  :D

Using Firestorm, I would easily burn through 1GB of data in an hour at a busy event, less on an empty region without much content & my draw distance at 20m.

I used to use a Verizon Wireless device for all my internet including SL.  It actually still works decently in the rural area where I live.  Back then I was possibly the only one using data off the rural tower here.  I'd say I averaged 40 to 50 GB a month.  I expect SL would use more data these days.  

I used to sell phones and plans for Verizon and I have a true unlimited plan they haven't offered in over 20 years.  They constantly send me invitations to "upgrade" my plan which I've ignored. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.