How to get out of a face to face conversation in SL

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Everyone is so polite here! Or maybe no one will admit to being mean. I just pretend that something came up in real life. It's the perfect alibi unless the other person lives in your house.  

I’m not really a ‘mean’ person by nature though I am a bit feisty and snarky for sure. But with this talking problem I realized I’d just feel better and be able to deal with it quicker (and still be able to stay inworld to do my stuff!) by being direct and polite to friends and also (critical) that it’s perfectly ok to just completely ignore the inevitable randos, I don’t owe anyone any of my own free time unless I wish to spend it on them. It’s some of the most important, precious and finite currency we actually have. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've found honesty works just fine. "Sorry, I don't feel like talking right now. Have a great evening/afternoon/morning."

I've gotten better at this,  just admitting that I'm not feeling chatty at the moment. I think most people understand not feeling social occasionally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellen Cordeaux said:

So you actually say, "Sorry you're just not interesting enough for me to be bothered with, see ya." 

😯

Minus the sorry part! I don't see why I should be apologetic about someone failing to stimulate me socially or intellectually.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

If you find yourself chatting with someone with their avatar standing next to your avatar, how do you disengage from the conversation if it seems like they are not going to stop talking? Do you give a real life excuse,  an SL excuse, or do you just log out? 🤔

If they are just generally getting on my nerves, or being an energy vampire, I quickly and sharply butt into the conversation, tell them I am needed elsewhere, thank them for the chat, and teleport away.  Similarly, in real life, I have learned how to break off from someone who just will not shut the f*ck up. I stop speaking altogether, think very carefully about whether this is a two way conversation, or if the other person just could be talking to a brick wall, and then I say "Must go", smile, and walk away.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.