How to get out of a face to face conversation in SL

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you find yourself chatting with someone with their avatar standing next to your avatar, how do you disengage from the conversation if it seems like they are not going to stop talking? Do you give a real life excuse,  an SL excuse, or do you just log out? 🤔

• Haha 1

I suddenly have to do something in real life, then I just kinda stop responding.

Sometimes I just stop responding to them, it really depends on the person and how much I like them to consider their feelings.

If I really don’t like what someone is saying I’ll tell them to leave me the eff alone.

• Like 1

I’d never get any inworld stuff done if I had to crash out, log off or otherwise pretend that it’s RL stuff calling me away. ‘I need to go do my ___ / work on my ___’ also works. I have a ‘lair’ where few are whitelisted, so I tp there. Autorespond with a message that my chat window is currently down carries the rest. 

I voice chat a lot though so many people I know and talk to can just tell by my voice when I get busy in photoshop or will follow the cue of the ‘chatting time is winding down’ tone I have and excuse themselves too. The sharp ones do, anyway. For text, I’m just polite but direct. 

This really only happens (to me) in clubs so I usually just say “sorry I gotta go!” But I don’t really have to go, do I? So I walk away and continue with my night. Sometimes I might TP to the landing point and re-enter. This is a corollary to one of my biggest pet peeves: the person who immediately comes over and stands on your toes because you responded politely to their IM. 

If I don't really need to log out and it's an IM I will say something like, "Okies Imma step out of your box now and get busy over here, have a great one!".  If it's in person at the same place and I want to stay there I'll just stop responding; conversations will usually just fizzle out on their own after a bit.

I use my auto-respond message a lot too, but will respond anyway to someone I want to talk to.

Edited by Ellen Cordeaux

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

If you find yourself chatting with someone with their avatar standing next to your avatar, how do you disengage from the conversation if it seems like they are not going to stop talking? Do you give a real life excuse,  an SL excuse, or do you just log out? 🤔

I usually give a SL excuse, something like "sorry I have to be somewhere else now." If it's someone who is an actual friend, I'll offer to continue the convo in IM but I will slow it right down. 

If its someone I don't know, I'll just say that it's time for me to go, and end the convo.

I’ve learned to increase my skills as a passive aggressive ***** over the years and I slowly make the conversation so boring they want to leave or let it die.

”so, what are you up to tonight?”

“Oh you know, just catching up on laundry, I’m gonna clean up my laptop later and maybe try to get all the Microsoft visual C++ packages to install via windows update, but usually I have to go install them manually, so...”

regardless of what they start saying I just continue to talk about windows update and laundry until they leave 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

I’ve learned to increase my skills as a passive aggressive ***** over the years and I slowly make the conversation so boring they want to leave or let it die.

”so, what are you up to tonight?”

“Oh you know, just catching up on laundry, I’m gonna clean up my laptop later and maybe try to get all the Microsoft visual C++ packages to install via windows update, but usually I have to go install them manually, so...”

regardless of what they start saying I just continue to talk about windows update and laundry until they leave 

zzzz

Edited by Tarina Sewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.