Bellisseria rez zones

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Drivers of SL has visited the Bellisseria continent several times, it has a lot of roads, waterways, and now a railway, but it can be difficult to find a rez zone. Things are getting better, but every time you cross a region boundary with a vehicle, there's a chance of something going wrong. You can rez a vehicle while at your Linden Home, but after that it's a gamble how far you can get.

Today I was testing a Y6 Tram engine on the Bellisseria railway. I'd been modding the engine, it's quite old, and I'd thought I'd try it there. (Replacing prims with mesh can make a huge difference to LI. The original from Waxen Works is a nice model, and it suits the style of the railway.)

There are plenty of railway stations modelled on the line, but they don't have rez zones. I found two rez zones.

There's a balance thing, they're competing for the resources needed in the sim for the Linden homes, but if you can't rez a rail vehicle, what's the point of putting it there? What's the point of making a railway which uses the SL standards for running trains?

The line passes through the Campwich Forest region, which seems to be some sort of starting/social location, same as you get for the old-style Linden Homes regions. There's a station there, a road link, and a set of docks. No Linden Homes soaking up resources, so you would think there could be rez zones.

They didn't bother.

I see from the map that one junction is under construction in SSPE343 and there's another in SSPE316. I hope they do better at letting users control the switches than they did with the railway in Smithers Bluff. On what I saw today, the passing loops and such, it's not improved. There'll be railway track nobody can get a train onto. What's the point?

• Sad 2

The railway is still “Under Construction”. I’m sure it will have plenty of places to Rez trains once it’s complete, but for now it’s probably best to restrict rezzing so the Moles can finish it 😉 

There are several free HUDs of Bellisseria Rez zones on the MP as well as at the Bellisseria Citizens Group Headquarters in Aaargh Region.  These are also works in progress as the continent is still being made and not completed yet. 🤩 

Enjoy exploring the beautiful brand new continent under construction and please drive carefully!  😁

NOTE:  you can also spot Rez zones by using your Mini-map.  Right click and Show>Property lines  All parcel boundaries will have an outline and the Public Rez Zones are usually shaped differently than Resident Owned parcels and located on the road, rail or waterway you wish to travel on. 

Edited by BJoyful
Added note
  • Like 3

I recently handed out in both the Bellisseria Community group and the Drivers of SL group a full list of rezz zones for cars at least.  There's 35 car rez zones alone in Bellisseria - with more to come. A Rez zone HUD was also recently handed out in the Drivers group which included my rez zone list.

Another person in these forums recently linked to a website they had created which had a map of Belli with all the boat rez zones marked out - you only needed to click on the map and a link would open for you.

As BJoyful said, there's also plenty of free HUDS available too, so honestly it's not hard to find places to rez.  The train stations don't have rez enabled simply because the line isn't finished yet. I am pretty sure that once the tracks are all linked up, Campwich Forest at least will have a rez zone added ;) 

• Like 2

Well, as is often the case, the OP has good points, but all will the depreciated soon enough because they are (as happens often) jumping the gun with their complaint. There are many, many rez zones all over Bellisseria for water, road, and air with more coming still. As for the Bellisseria SLRR -you only need one rez zone for now and there are two. The line isn't long enough yet to require more Railroad rez zones. The length of the usable line as it is right now (as I write this) is about the same as the distance of line between SLRR rez zones on Heterocera.

As for region crossings on Bellisseria? They are optimized for region crossing. If you're having issues with that you may want to try another vehicle with more optimized scripts, etc. Just a thought, nothing more.

Give the Lindens and Moles a little breathing room, for goodness sakes. They've barely put the paint on what's there now, they still have lots of foundations to lay before anything else happens.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 5

Arabella has a legit concern. IANAL, but my understanding of Belli is that once a region is done, it's done, and it is extremely unlikely that we would see any completed regions retrofitted with new features. However, there have been changes in the planning of newer regions based upon the feedback they have recieved, so if the Moles know that the rez zones along the railway are inadequate now, perhaps they will act on it for the future. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One big difference between the Bellisaria railway and the SLRR line: The parcels containing the SLRR track are set to allow Object Entry to everyone. The Bellisaria lines run in the generic "Protected Land" for Bellisaria, which are set Group Only for Object Entry. The group is "Linden Department of Public Works". This is similar to the old Linden Home regions, and it makes some sense. But it seems to explain why only single linkset trains work on the Bellisaria line.

Object Entry doesn't seem to be mentioned as part of the SLRR standards, but the setting for Linden road parcels is the same as for the old Linden Home regions. The SLRR is different, and any Bellisaria residents can forget about running more than a single vehicle train.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arabellajones said:

One big difference between the Bellisaria railway and the SLRR line: The parcels containing the SLRR track are set to allow Object Entry to everyone. The Bellisaria lines run in the generic "Protected Land" for Bellisaria, which are set Group Only for Object Entry. The group is "Linden Department of Public Works". This is similar to the old Linden Home regions, and it makes some sense. But it seems to explain why only single linkset trains work on the Bellisaria line.

Object Entry doesn't seem to be mentioned as part of the SLRR standards, but the setting for Linden road parcels is the same as for the old Linden Home regions. The SLRR is different, and any Bellisaria residents can forget about running more than a single vehicle train.

There is a LOT of track in Belli, seems like a strange restriction.  I wonder if this is an oversight on LL's part?  If I knew more about trains I'd be tempted to file a support ticket on it, just to see what they say.

If I recall correctly,  switching off object entry was done as a compromise to allowing Bellisseria to have rez zones.

If you have rez zones and object entry turned on, then object spamming could quickly spread over dozens of regions, and I think LL didn't want to deal with managing that, since it happens enough on mainland. If you search back through the forums, one of the moles (maybe Abnor) mentions this, (well either that or he said it in group chat one day).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

If I recall correctly,  switching off object entry was done as a compromise to allowing Bellisseria to have rez zones.

If you have rez zones and object entry turned on, then object spamming could quickly spread over dozens of regions, and I think LL didn't want to deal with managing that, since it happens enough on mainland. If you search back through the forums, one of the moles (maybe Abnor) mentions this, (well either that or he said it in group chat one day).

Sounds odd, because the same applies to the old Linden Homes continents, and they don't have rez zones. It may be more to do with control of the pool of prims that are used for the homes. Whatever the reason, the Bellisaria line has a limitation that doesn't apply to the SLRR.

• 9 months later...

About Railroad rez zones in Bellisseria...

Some time ago, when Squeaky Mole (who is building the railroad) set up a rez zone in Campwich Forest, they discovered that uncontrolled rezzing on the RR tracks in Bellisseria messed up its unique switching and traffic control system.  So Squeaky had to remove that rez zone.  This still leaves the problem that anyone with a trackside home can rez a train and have it move automatically onto the track and mess up the system.  As far as I know, that instance was never resolved.

That is why there are so few RR rez zones in Bellisseria.

Editorial:  I quite strongly disagree with the decision to limit RR rez zones in Bellisseria.  If the software can't accommodate new rez zones or users rezzing trains as they do everywhere else in Second Life, fix the software, not the user.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:43 PM, Camden McAndrews said:

About Railroad rez zones in Bellisseria...

Some time ago, when Squeaky Mole (who is building the railroad) set up a rez zone in Campwich Forest, they discovered that uncontrolled rezzing on the RR tracks in Bellisseria messed up its unique switching and traffic control system.  So Squeaky had to remove that rez zone.  This still leaves the problem that anyone with a trackside home can rez a train and have it move automatically onto the track and mess up the system.  As far as I know, that instance was never resolved.

I'm not all "techie", but seriously, if the automated switch control system cannot work properly if you for example rez a locomotive on a trackside parcel (or even further) and hit a "rerail" option on it to position itself to the nearest guide it can find, that system needs more work. I always ride around the Belli RR again and again to check the new additions as it's being built, and checking the existing lines as well, and one thing for sure, I'm not a big fan of the automated switches. The half-automatic ones, like in Chippewa Junction are tolerable, but they work only as properly as much you can control them manually.

The only switches that finally work properly are the fully manual ones. I'm not against the automatic switches at all, it's a good idea, but in their current state, especially where it isn't just a siding, but a complex junction, they're quite pointless.

The one fishy thing about the concept of "uncontrolled rezzing messed up the system" is, however, that even if you set a rezzer to rez a loco on your land again and again, it cannot position itself to the tracks, since object entry is turned off. You have to sit on it first to be able to drag, or reposition it by script to the protected parcel, and thus it is already a quite controlled act, as it needs someone's presence and actions.

Unless the automatic control system will send us authorization cards with our current trackage rights once we rez a rail vehicle in a RR rez zone, this "uncontrolled rezzing" excuse is just odd and barely plausible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.