Linden Realms repair.

Mayumi Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It has been 7 days since the Realms went offline for "repairs".  No word from LL on what, why and when.  Silence.

A support ticket brought this response:

"Thank you for submitting your support request. We are aware of the issues regarding Linden Realms and have temporarily closed access via the portals while we repair the situation. We do not currently have an estimate on when Linden Realms will reopen but please watch the blog for updates."

I heard a rumor that LL was tired of cheaters, has banned lots of players, and is rebuilding LR to dissuade known forms of cheating. Reportedly the new LR will require players to wear a HUD on their avatar, probably one that prevents certain scripts, like the extra fast running, extra high jumping, and use of vehicles that I've seen in there. I just assumed that those people were moles, but apparently not.

For a long time, certain avatars have been sitting in specific versions of LR and not doing anything but sit there. Have you seen this too? Normally if you sit in one place for too long, "air blob" grabs you and you're out. But these avatars were able to stay in place. I suspect that they may have been admins that were recording the presence or use of scripts and other cheats.

All good, more blue and green crystals for the rest of us. I'm excited to see the new LR when it comes out!

595775358_Dontsteponthesplorches2.thumb.jpg.f51eb6c8322c72a204ffe0c6010b04d5.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back in early October? That's all I could find searching.

That was Oct 2018. 

6 hours ago, Waialae said:

All good, more blue and green crystals for the rest of us. I'm excited to see the new LR when it comes out!

The majority of the "cheaters" seem to be avatars with no Payment Info On File.   They can only run the 4 quests once a week for 50 $L.  They only need 1 green crystal/week to complete the first quest (and an insignificant number of red, yellow and orange) .  Blue and other crystals are useless for them to collect, since they can not cash them in for Lindens.  I don't know how cheating helps you collect crystals.  They are usually on the ground, not in the air.  It would seem the 50 $L/week per non-PIOF avatar is a financial drain on LL.  A weekly quest can be completed in about 20 mins without any cheating, assuming the Realms HUD stays attached long enough.  A region crossing or getting killed and TPed back to a safe zone also detaches the Realms HUD about 1/2 the time.  Maybe they could fix that bug too.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

There is no reason to believe the Parent/Child object Script Communications has anything to do with the Realms "repair".  The Realms was not broken, and basically has worked exactly the same for the last 12 months.  HUD detachment is a region crossing and teleport issue that has always been there.  They have HUD re attachment stations all over the Realms.  The anti cheating measures sounds more likely.  They might be installing sensors around areas where flying and high jumping gets you to a destination quicker, so they can perma ban more users, and a new HUD to work with the sensors.  Probably end up banning innocent users from false positives too.  And since they enacted the PIOF requirement to cash in crystals, most regions are deserted and crystal collecting is easy, since more then half of the users have no PIOF.  I always check other's PIOF status on radar within 200 meters of me - and its seems to be more like 3 in 4 users do not have PIOF now, and only run through the weekly quests.

It took the Linden's a week to post any status, and still no mention of what was broken or the ETA for reopening .  I was in the Realms an hour before they closed all of them for repairs.  Everything seemed normal then.  Did they lose the only hard drive that stored their only copy of the Realms games, or did all the servers that ran the 72 regions simultaneously self destruct?  Not a word about changes or improvements to the game, just down for repair until they are working.  It's understandable the games have low priority - they earn no money for LL, and it costs them to maintain and payout lindens to the players.  The amount they get back by the players spending those lindens in SL must be insignificant as well.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

i would imagine all Mole resources are concentrated on Bellisseria in preparation for the next big release, meaning they can't even spare one or two for Realms maintenance. can't say i blame them. i've spent very little time in the Realms since i got a premium alt and a home to decorate. the last time i was there you couldn't collect half the crystals and the hud kept vanishing. i was on the final quest too, wish i'd persevered now and cashed out before they went poof :(

The Realms has been closed for 14 days now.  No reason has been given why, or what was broken.  And the Realms worked about as well as always an hour before it was closed down.  When a single region had a broken quest, you just tped back to the portal lobby and tried to enter a different Realm.  It's the lack of any information about this "Repair" that is disturbing - how long would it take a Linden or Mole to type a simple update?  Five minutes?  Good timing too, closing it down over a US holiday week, when LL was closed and short-staffed. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges

On 11/27/2019 at 2:48 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

The majority of the "cheaters" seem to be avatars with no Payment Info On File.   They can only run the 4 quests once a week for 50 $L.  They only need 1 green crystal/week to complete the first quest (and an insignificant number of red, yellow and orange) .  Blue and other crystals are useless for them to collect, since they can not cash them in for Lindens.  I don't know how cheating helps you collect crystals.  They are usually on the ground, not in the air.  It would seem the 50 $L/week per non-PIOF avatar is a financial drain on LL.  A weekly quest can be completed in about 20 mins without any cheating, assuming the Realms HUD stays attached long enough.  A region crossing or getting killed and TPed back to a safe zone also detaches the Realms HUD about 1/2 the time.  Maybe they could fix that bug too.

'only run the 4 quests once a week' is not to point to anything. I have PIOF, but I do not have enough free time for a long collection of crystals. But to spend half an hour once a week on a mandatory quest for the sake of 50 $L I have the opportunity. Therefore, having received in a legal way 😇 (I hope you understand that I will not disclose the details 🤐 ) a certain supply of green crystals, I have been doing just that recently. But in the last couple of weeks I could not afford even this. And then finally arriving yesterday, I found myself in front of the “closed gate”. I fear that frequent recurring problems (e.g. with my.secondlife) indicate staff problems at Linden Lab.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, animats said:

icehub.thumb.jpg.bedc790b41c723cde2c11dfc556ca962.jpg

Ice Hub in Crankshaft This is an official Linden premium destination. Some kind of quest. Also seems to be out of service. The destination guide sends you to a landmark at the wrong end of the quest, and if you go there you may never even find the official starting point.

The Moles are probably too busy trying to expand Bellesaria.

The Ice Hub Quest has been closed for quite some time. I believe it has been over a year since I put in a request asking them to either fix the Quest or remove it.   I had an old Hud in inventory, and I checked some of the old landmarks.  Some of the content is still there, but there is no interaction with the HUD.

I think it is a shame, since it was an interesting Quest that visited several different locations.  I think it also gives a poor impression to visitors who might see the signs and keep coming back to see if the quest has been repaired yet. 

1 hour ago, RuffertasAlt said:

I think it is a shame, since it was an interesting Quest that visited several different locations.  I think it also gives a poor impression to visitors who might see the signs and keep coming back to see if the quest has been repaired yet. 

Especially since it's listed in the Premium Destinations window.

That really needs a revision. The premium destinations are mostly good sandbox areas. There's an offroad vehicle test area, a seaplane test area, a small boat test area, and a four-sim premium adult sandbox. These are great for serious creators and uninteresting for most users.

8 hours ago, animats said:

Especially since it's listed in the Premium Destinations window.

That really needs a revision. The premium destinations are mostly good sandbox areas. There's an offroad vehicle test area, a seaplane test area, a small boat test area, and a four-sim premium adult sandbox. These are great for serious creators and uninteresting for most users.

FYI: There's also a hidden Premium-only four-region SLRR testing/playing group of regions that is all decked out to look like the Colorado Rockies that is *awesome* for photography. But you have to know the name of the regions LOL

Here's a SLURL for any premiums who'd like to go have a look-see: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Saminekim/34/62/51

Here's a snapshot I took from there (so you can see what it looks like) - it's great for Winter-looking pictures (the tracks go around the outside edges so the entire interior is nicely secluded)

SLRR 02

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 2

21 days and counting, Linden Realms has been "Closed for Repairs".  Ask any Linden or Mole about this and they get testy - apparently the real reason is a sore point for them.  File a ticket and Support acknowledges the Realms is closed, hardly useful information there.  

I tried PaleoQuest in the meantime.   If you think a HUD that gives you 100% false positives and keeps returning you to the starting point is fun, you will love this game.  The same PaleoQuest problems reported here last September 2018 are still present.  At least the Realms allowed you to play and complete the Quests most of the time, without spending days wasting time because of the constant false accusations you get in Paleoquest for flying, running, wearing an illegal hud, and cheating.  That is basically the PaleoQuest game, seeing how long you will put up with false accusations by the poorly scripted Linden HUD before you give up as not being worth your time.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I still see two listings in the destination guide although there is still a "closed for repairs' sign up. 

All I see are two listings for the Linden Portal Parks.  Nothing about the Realms there.  They just used the Linden Realms room door as the portal park cover shot, the same as before.  Each game or Experience in the Portal park has it's own listing, such as Horizons, PaleoQuest, The Cornfield, etc, but Linden Realms listing as a game has been removed.  Will the Realms return by next year?  Beginning to have my doubts.  The bean counters say it's a loss to LL.  Start charging to play the Realms, and it would be repaired in a hour. Or they could make it a Premium member game only.  That should cut the number of players by 95% and make it another profit center.  Yea that's the ticket.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.