Deploy Plan for the week of 2019-08-26

Bugsly Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

We've updated the first post to point to the new releasenotes.secondlife.com website for simulator releases (https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2019-08-23T17%3A54%3A14.530353.html).

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.d4ef3d33347e3ed1d07d7dcab7d1770e.png

Please tell me that's a bug.
2019-08-23T17:54:14.530353 doesn't exactly roll off the tongue does it?

Why can you not just list it as 19.8.23.530353?

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

• Lindens
49 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.d4ef3d33347e3ed1d07d7dcab7d1770e.png

Please tell me that's a bug.
2019-08-23T17:54:14.530353 doesn't exactly roll off the tongue does it?

Why can you not just list it as 19.8.23.530353?

That isn't a bug, it is the precise version identifier for that simulator build. If a different identifier would be better there's always a feature request describing the user case for when it needs to roll off the tongue (but I hope you'll give this a try first and see if as we get a couple of weeks into this new way of doing things it starts to make more sense).

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

Really, all we're doing so far is to hide the name of the RC; whether or not you're in an RC is not really hidden if you just click through to the release notes.

...... Our objective is to find problems more quickly and reliably.

This reminds me of an old comedy album my folks had- Catskills comedy couple- he comes home ,can't find his wife and says

"Where are you?"

"I'm hiding!" wife replies

this goes on over and over for a bit, laugh track, finally :

"Where are you- I've got a new pair of  earrings for you!"

"I'm hiding!   (pause) in the front closet"

Why not make it easy , enhance your chance the customers help by reporting and NOT  hide the channel?

Just tack an alpha  letter on the RC name

Blue Steel A   then Blue Steel B etc. --- we'll see something easy to report (if we use a phone hard to give you a zillion letters)--  you'll never have 26 versions out at once. You'll know what  B is.

You get your version, we get the info.

Second Life residents hate when things are hidden, esp. in "plain sight" - like the front closet (click through to release notes).

Make it a win-win Oz.

Edited by Cam Mode
typo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

Pure curiosity, but is that version designation a microsecond-precise timestamp, or is it a second-precise timestamp with an incrementing number appended?

The latter ... that last component is an identifier produced by our build system

• Thanks 2

It's really a hard problem.  They want as much typical use on the RC builds as possible so that they can get the best impression of how they would work when deployed everywhere, because last week's RC builds are this week's main server build.  So it would probably help more to point out that the RC builds were already tested on the beta grid, and have literally become release candidates and are no longer beta builds.  Because the problem is no one wants to have their production stuff running on a beta build.  The best solution would be to have limited amounts of free land on the beta grid so that a good population would always be "living" there and testing stuff there.  The whole point of the RC builds was that there wasn't a big enough testing population on the beta grid to catch all the problems before they were everywhere on the main grid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sayrah Parx said:

The best solution would be to have limited amounts of free land on the beta grid so that a good population would always be "living" there and testing stuff there.

That's interesting. I'm not entirely confident that free land is even incentive enough, but it could be a start. Another step might be to migrate more and more public sandbox space from agni to aditi, and even to permit some transfer of freely uploaded content from aditi to agni (not sure if that could be regulated, though, to preserve any L$ sink for uploads).

OK I am now somewhat confused.  According to the Tools & Technology Blog-post the software version rolled today to LeTigre and other RC Channel regions was supposed to hide the Channel identifier so that LeTigre etc would no longer be shown in the top toolbar or help floater.  That it still shows (I've been on LeTigre since the roll to check) means either that the software change didn't work or it has been deprecated due to the adverse reaction to the announcement in the past day or so.  I wonder which it is?

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's interesting. I'm not entirely confident that free land is even incentive enough, but it could be a start. Another step might be to migrate more and more public sandbox space from agni to aditi, and even to permit some transfer of freely uploaded content from aditi to agni (not sure if that could be regulated, though, to preserve any L$ sink for uploads).

For reasons I can't get into detail about, transfer of content from aditi to agni should NEVER be allowed.

On 8/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, Oz Linden said:

Other parts of this project include much better reporting on what's happening, including things we have not monitored closely before.

Yeah this is important.

It would be good to have trending on stuff like script time, spare time, etc., if that's not kept already.

Especially important when moving to the cloud.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.