Ok, so this is ridiculous

Cahtias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, BeefXL said:

My humble opinion:

Maybe LL should create an order form on which residents can fill out what type of home they want, either a land based home or a boat house. And maybe they could add a waiting time list so we can see where we are in line (or does this put to much pressure on LL!). But at least this way LL knows how many homes they need to build in stead of this random build how many ever and see how quick they run out. 

Except that there will only be so many more of the Traditional Houses and Houseboats.  After that, it will all be new theme stuff.  We know that Campers & Trailers are coming, but LL has mentioned a total of at least 8 themes, so who knows what kind of homes will be coming down the road.  

So even if 20,000 people want Houseboats, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will not get one because LL is not going to create 20,000 houseboats.  Ditto for the Traditional Houses.

LL already has a rough idea of how many total Premium Homes they need.  They know how many old homes are currently claimed and they know how many total Premium accounts they have.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KateaSL said:

Perhaps Patch should hire more qualified people to create their regions.  I personally know  many people that can take a blank region and terraform, landscape and theme a region in a matter of hours.  They should also consider less custom landscaping if it takes that long. 

A WHOLE, WHOLE lot more is involved than just some simple terraforming and landscaping - all of which has been explained numerous times in these forums.

If they did less custom landscaping, they'd end up with stuff all looking the same and ultimately it would end up like the old Linden Home areas --- half or less occupied and pretty much no social community aspect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

How is it unfair to give the premium members homes in the order that they joined premium? 

And that is EXACTLY what i meant @RaeLeeH thank you. 

Why should the older members get preference is they already have a Linden Home?  They at least have an LL home.

Then again, why should an older member get preference if they don't have one of the older Linden Homes?  They apparently didn't want their freebie home benefit?

Every list type option raises so many questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Arquet said:
1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:
2 hours ago, KateaSL said:

Perhaps Patch should hire more qualified people to create their regions.  I personally know  many people that can take a blank region and terraform, landscape and theme a region in a matter of hours.  

If you're suggesting that the Moles aren't qualified,

That's exactly what i'm suggesting.  

Well, then, maybe your friends might consider applying to become Moles. (I think I saw  a permanent link for the application process somewhere...I can try and find it again if you're interested.) Maybe they'll find themselves hired (maybe there is already a budget for it in place), and that means a greater pool of builders, which is presumably a good thing, as far as the region building process goes.

Great idea!

I'm not so sure I'd bother applying if I were you.  You've already said, in a Public forum, that you think the current Moles aren't qualified enough.  Something tells me those statements show the wrong type of attitude to be a Mole.

I love embedded quotes that really preserve the whole story line.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm not so sure I'd bother applying if I were you.  You've already said, in a Public forum, that you think the current Moles aren't qualified enough.  Something tells me those statements show the wrong type of attitude to be a Mole.

I love embedded quotes that really preserve the whole story line.

There is that....😄

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

The system in the past has never had to deal with a situation where demand exceeds supply, or not since fairly soon after the first Linden homes were released. The situation now is different in that a lot of people remain unsatisfied.

It's been something like four months, and people are getting houses every day. I see no evidence of there being a lot of people unsatisfied. I see the same 20 or 30 names over and over, and some of those have had homes that they've thrown back because it wasn't their ideal location. 

5 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

You like the current system because you are prepared to spend your time running refreshers or hitting F5 to increase your chance of getting a home. It is I admit one crude metric of identifying the desire for a home, but it is only a very crude metric. Not everyone has the free time to do that. Also there are other reasons why that is unhealthy, and also why when someone does all that and still fails to get a home they feel even more strongly they have been cheated and how the system is inadequate for the current situation, dysfunctional in a situation where demand is so much higher than the supply.

No, I'm actually not prepared to do that. I've never once used a refresher or hit the F5 button, nor do I have any plans to. We can agree that that sort of manic behavior being displayed by some is unhealthy, but that's hardly LL's fault if people cannot control themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I admit my experience is from tinkering with things like dreamweaver, but yes it does seem trivial to me for someone trained in webdesign to make the changes needed. A bit more involved than posting a wordpress document. The database implementation would have to ensure it outputs information in the right formats to the systems that allocate the land, but that information should all be there in the current system and not hard to access. It really doesn't seem to me like it would take one web designer that long to do, which would have no impact whatsoever on the moles roll-out schedules or anyone else working on building the sims as the work is unrelated.

It is far more complicated than you're making it out to be. I do have experience with databases (I run a very complex one in my RL) and have managed complex websites. There is nothing simple about connecting the two, and when you add in the virtual environment of SL, it adds an even more complex layer. By the time something is built and adequately tested, the Moles would have been able to build dozens, if not hundreds, of regions which will be more than enough to meet the immediate demand. 

The current system was designed and built by people long gone from LL. The entire thing would have to be rebuilt from the bottom up. That would be no small feat. Just getting the different departments at LL to agree on the best way forward would take months. Anyone who's ever worked in a corporate office knows that the simplest of decisions usually ends up being the most complex and infuriating when multiple voices have to be taken into consideration, as this would, because it affects several departments, and each would want something different, would want their suggestions to be put at the top, there would be debate, and thousands of emails and meetings, just to get the very most basic outline put in place. 

Deciding to switch coffee vendors can take eons in the corporate world. Something like this would be a nightmare to deal with currently when there are so many other things (like building out regions) that need to have priority. 

• Like 9

OK, so I had to put my thoughts in here also. I am a premium member, and I am not able to get one of the new Bellessarian houseboats either. I do this every day at least once until I  cant refresh anymore. I have sent notices to LL, and there reply's are horrible. They have never really answered my question on when they will be available to all paying members. So yes it is very frustrating almost to put of cancelling the game. If any of you have ideas on were to look, and to keep better tabs on when they are going to release more houseboats, please let me know. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

No, I'm actually not prepared to do that. I've never once used a refresher or hit the F5 button, nor do I have any plans to. We can agree that that sort of manic behavior being displayed by some is unhealthy, but that's hardly LL's fault if people cannot control themselves. 

So you are saying that you got a house on the very first try without ever refreshing your page when every other person has had to refresh and refresh in order to get a house?  Lucky you!  Of course now i'm sure everyone wants to know exactly how you accomplished that. Maybe write some tips so we can all get one.

28 minutes ago, KateaSL said:

So you are saying that you got a house on the very first try without ever refreshing your page when every other person has had to refresh and refresh in order to get a house?  Lucky you!  Of course now i'm sure everyone wants to know exactly how you accomplished that. Maybe write some tips so we can all get one.

Indeed, I am saying that! Happy to tell you exactly how it happened, too! 

The date was April 15... I remember it well. I was working from home, had FB opened in another tab, got a notification from SL, and saw the homes were released. I stopped what I was doing and logged in, packed up and abandoned my old LH, went to the website, clicked a couple buttons, and BOOM, had a houseboat. Easy-peasy!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

It’s easy to say that you had time to leisurely take your time and clicking a couple of buttons  and BOOM! you got a Houseboat in the first release, or second! As they were available for about two days I believe. Compared to now yes that was easy for you, but one has to wonder had you missed those first two big releases... you would probably be in the same ‘boat’ (excuse the pun 😂) as the rest of us and trying relentlessly every day to just get a chance at a home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Armani223 said:

It’s easy to say that you had time to leisurely take your time and clicking a couple of buttons  and BOOM! you got a Houseboat in the first release, or second! As they were available for about two days I believe. Compared to now yes that was easy for you, but one has to wonder had you missed those first two big releases... you would probably be in the same ‘boat’ (excuse the pun 😂) as the rest of us and trying relentlessly every day to just get a chance at a home.

Exactly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Armani223 said:

Probably not. I didn't even know new homes were being released and my old LH wasn't my main residence. I had no idea what Bellisseria was about or what it was going to be so chances are that if I hadn't gotten one, I would have forgotten about it and kept living where I was. It was pure dumb luck that I saw the post on FB and decided to grab one just for fun. Had no idea I was going to fall in love with it and let my old main residence go.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Probably not. I didn't even know new homes were being released and my old LH wasn't my main residence. I had no idea what Bellisseria was about or what it was going to be so chances are that if I hadn't gotten one, I would have forgotten about it and kept living where I was. It was pure dumb luck that I saw the post on FB and decided to grab one just for fun. Had no idea I was going to fall in love with it and let my old main residence go.

Ok but what do you REALLY think about Socks up there? Because that is adorable.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Edom Hindermann said:

OK, so I had to put my thoughts in here also. I am a premium member, and I am not able to get one of the new Bellessarian houseboats either. I do this every day at least once until I  cant refresh anymore. I have sent notices to LL, and there reply's are horrible. They have never really answered my question on when they will be available to all paying members. So yes it is very frustrating almost to put of cancelling the game. If any of you have ideas on were to look, and to keep better tabs on when they are going to release more houseboats, please let me know. 

I would suggest keeping an eye on the page in the minutes and even hours following a release, especially if the region released was one with houseboats. One because of  possible abandons, and two because after a release there will always be people who stop watching (the release is done! nothing to watch out for!) and therefore if something comes up, there might be less competition for it. It's not a guarantee, though. That applies to both traditional homes and houseboats, except that it's even more true of houseboats: since there are less of them, they are harder to get. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Armani223 said:

Perhaps, but I bet she wouldn't be whining endlessly about it. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Perhaps, but I bet she wouldn't be whining endlessly about it. :)

It's not even the whining that bothers me anymore. I absolutely understand that people are upset that they don't have a home yet. It's the armchair quarterbacking and telling LL what they should be doing and flat out saying the Moles are incompetent. It's unnecessary and helps nothing. If anything, it actually hurts the process because it's demoralizing and demeaning to the extraordinary work they do. I know I wouldn't be putting my best efforts forward for people who insult me at every turn.

Negging doesn't work for the incels, nor does it work for the Bellisseria homeless. 

Be upset that you don't have a home, but don't be insulting to the people actually building those homes.

Edited by Beth Macbain
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It's not even the whining that bothers me anymore. I absolutely understand that people are upset that they don't have a home yet. It's the armchair quarterback and telling LL what they should be doing and flat out saying the Moles are incompetent. It's unnecessary and helps nothing. If anything, it actually hurts the process because it's demoralizing and demeaning to the extraordinary work they do. I know I wouldn't be putting my best efforts forward for people who insult me at every turn.

Negging doesn't work for the incels, nor does it work for the Bellisseria homeless. 

Be upset that you don't have a home, but don't be insulting to the people actually building those homes.

I agree that people shouldn’t be blaming or abusing LL or the hard working Moles! And at not point have I ever done that. I think your comments on this matter are a bit too broad sometimes and should be aimed at the one’s who do this! Not people that just have an innocent comment to make.

Boy, you lay down for a few hours and *beep* hits the fan.

Too many posts over the last 2 pages to respond to. So I'll address a couple and be on my way. 

Yes, there is a lottery system and a first come first, first served method in place.  Its called first in line at the window, clicking to get a Linden home, hits the jackpot, gets the home.  Again, it is the most unbiased and fair method, if not fully practical.

I'm going to state this again, because I feel this is most important for those heating up their keyboards, feeling there is a better way to get things done, or that how LL is implementing the building and releases is not to some people's satisfaction.

A person should always look into the committed, continuing purchase, you know, buyer beware:  the axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.

If you signed up for a premium account, like I did, after you learned about the new Linden homes for 2019, that responsibility to ensure what was available, what might be entailed for you getting one of these 'in demand' homes, falls squarely on each new premium members shoulders. Not Linden Labs. That means it is the responsibility for each of us to look up the information, review the latest news, then assess the questions. "Do I want to invest my money into a product that is high in demand but low in availability?"  "If I make this revolving monthly purchase for premium membership, knowing that my main reasons is to acquire a new Linden home, yet the product is in high demand and my odds are going to be rough at getting one, am I willing to go the extra lengths for this?"

If you answered yes to the questions above, if you did your homework, need I say more? If you did not, shame on you.

If you were already a premium member, its your own responsibility to monitor the new information that Linden Lab puts out there for premium members.

Lastly, the posts regarding how the moles build these regions just baffled me.  Oh yeah, I've seen these so called regions:   take a blank region and terraform, landscape and theme a region in a matter of hours.  Any region that is done in that short amount of time is not quality, but a flawed rush of sloppy workmanship.  I design and build on regions, and even with a good team it can take a few days to get an area completed, looking top notch and well constructed, even then you are going back again and again to ensure you didn't miss something and fixing the things you missed the first, second or third inspection.  Doing an entire region, takes even more time for top quality work.

Now take into account that Patch and his moles are doing an entire continent, must match up and align road ways, water ways and place homes in a precise puzzle of precision and then there is the complexity of giving each region its own distinct artistic landscaping, is no mocking matter and should be respected for the difficult task and fine craftsmanship that this team is working on to give all premium members top quality homes in beautifully landscaped settings. The ambiance alone, is one of the highly favored and key sellers for many of us wanting these new Linden homes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Armani223 said:

I agree that people shouldn’t be blaming or abusing LL or the hard working Moles! And at not point have I ever done that. I think your comments on this matter are a bit too broad sometimes and should be aimed at the one’s who do this! Not people that just have an innocent comment to make.

My comments quoted the particular person I was responding to in all these responses. The person who started today's brouhaha by saying that Patch needs to hire more qualified people, and the person who believes that creating an entirely new house delivery system is simple. None of those comments were in any way directed at you. I believe the only thing I directed at you is how I would have probably responded if I hadn't gotten a home that first day. 

There are many amazing people who are patiently waiting for homes, and are absolutely grateful to the Lindens and Moles for all the work they are doing. The vast majority of people waiting for homes, in fact. We don't see a lot of them around here because... well, because they're patiently waiting. I'm sorry if my comments led you to believe I toss all those without homes yet into the same bucket. There are definitely two very distinct types. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.