Empty Linden homes

Lynn Zelin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moles
6 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

If feel pretty safe in saying that @Quartz Moleis not the Mole you're looking for... or Linden. He's a scripter and a contractor, not an employee of Linden Lab. 

I can almost feel him burrowing back underground now as to avoid being put on the spot like this. 

1736075560_giphy(2).gif.1e0fd9af7f0e64ea7590baeacd0b492d.gif

Not really.  There are some questions I don't think I can reasonably be expected to answer, so the problem doesn't really arise.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Not really.  There are some questions I don't think I can reasonably be expected to answer, so the problem doesn't really arise.

I guess I’ll be the one burrowing back underground... 🤐

Edit: Ooooooooooo, never mind. I get it now! 

Edited by Beth Macbain
Shouldn't read things after midnight.
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Adumelial Rothstein said:

Yeah Beth, it's tough isn't it? Kinda like playing Doc Holiday in Tombstone. OH!? instead. Val Kilmer says "I want you! You're my Huckleberry!"

Actually, Doc Holiday (Or Val Kilmer) said, "I'm your Huckleberry." (btw great movie)

The reference to meaning, I'm your huckleberry — is to be just the right person for a given job, or a willing executor of some commission.

Can't see Quartz Mole gunning down his opposition just to get out a few more Linden homes due to demand.

I replaced the video clip, didn't realize the other one was as long as it was with the violence in it. Sorry.

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Moles
22 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Quartz is just one of many steps involved in this process.  i imagine he only knows when a given region is literally down to the final steps before release and he sure isn't going to be the one that has authority to tell any Resident - that will likely only be Patch or Governor L, himself.

Every Mon, Wed, and Fri - minus holidays and possibly missing a few when issues arise.   Nobody knows what time until it happens.  

I remember Patch discussing this at (I think) the Meet the Moles event -- now that we've moved to releasing new traditional and houseboat regions as and when they become available rather than releasing a whole lot of them every few weeks and seeing them all go in under an hour, once  additional traditional and houseboat regions are released by LDPW then we aren't involved any more.   I know that when I've done my final bits of checking and preparation, there's a couple more things other members of LDPW need to do but after that, responsibility for the release date and time are no longer ours.    At that point, we know that it should be released before too long, but certainly I don't expect to hear about the region again, unless it's in some other context.

It's a completely separate exercise from the major releases, like the original one or when we released the "Squishy Pickle" regions a couple of weeks ago.   

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

I remember Patch discussing this at (I think) the Meet the Moles event -- now that we've moved to releasing new traditional and houseboat regions as and when they become available rather than releasing a whole lot of them every few weeks and seeing them all go in under an hour, once  additional traditional and houseboat regions are released by LDPW then we aren't involved any more.   I know that when I've done my final bits of checking and preparation, there's a couple more things other members of LDPW need to do but after that, responsibility for the release date and time are no longer ours.    At that point, we know that it should be released before too long, but certainly I don't expect to hear about the region again, unless it's in some other context.

It's a completely separate exercise from the major releases, like the original one or when we released the "Squishy Pickle" regions a couple of weeks ago.   

When I grabbed my home the very first day it went online I remember finding many lindens actually claiming homes for themselves. I had atleast  7 lindens that moved in arround me (they were set as land owners and lands had custom names and all that stuff), and I found it pretty curious... Is a bit sad but at the same time is good to see that later those homes were put back onto the market and given to residents to give more availability.

I could be wrong... maybe they could just been checking them out or testing... I just know the 2nd day when it got all sold out, at some point they were not my neighbors anymore.

3 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

When I grabbed my home the very first day it went online I remember finding many lindens actually claiming homes for themselves. I had atleast  7 lindens that moved in arround me (they were set as land owners and lands had custom names and all that stuff), and I found it pretty curious... Is a bit sad but at the same time is good to see that later those homes were put back onto the market and given to residents to give more availability.

I could be wrong... maybe they could just been checking them out or testing... I just know the 2nd day when it got all sold out, at some point they were not my neighbors anymore.

What does this have to do with anything being discussed here? I'm guessing that a benefit of being a Linden or Mole (and I have absolutely no knowledge of anyone's terms of employment) include premium membership. Why shouldn't they be able to have a Linden Home?

I'd personally love to have some Moles living around me. Would be like having a stable of my very own handy men and women if something breaks. I'd rather have people I know I can trust with with fixing things rather than someone who's just blowing smoke. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

Well, the Moles and Lindens are allowed and deserving of houses just like everyone else and I most certainly don't begrudge them that.

I do know that many gave theirs up when everything went so quickly, but that definitely doesn't mean that they had to - and I, for one, wouldn't have actually expected them to unless LL  told them to.

• Like 3

The idea of employees and residents sharing virtual spaces and being part of the same community is actually great. Maybe that was part of the concept and some point but then got a turn when they realized the continent was a bigger success than expected, and naturally, those spaces were given to paying customers.  Non the less, employees and contractors seems to be encouraged to live inworld, you can find both Mole and Linden employees home clusters/communities, and they are both quite interesting and nice places to visit.

• Moles
46 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

I think what you saw -- and wildly misinterpreted, at least initially -- was the last traces of our Quality Assurance (QA) people at work.     That is,  and most particularly during the run up to the initial release, we test everything multiple times, and that includes testing what happens when a new owner takes over the parcel.  

So yes, during the last few days after we finally cloned the regions over from the SSP regions to Bellissaria and then switched them from one estate to another,  several Lindens (and their alts) were very busy taking over parcels from each other and double-checking everything worked as expected after the handover.    

They remained owners of the parcels that they'd been checking until a resident was assigned one by the website.    What you report seeing  is expected behaviour, as we call it.  I guess the Land Lindens could have reassigned the parcels to Governor Linden or whoever the placeholder was after QA was finished but it would just have made unnecessary extra work for people who are plenty busy anyway, even when we don't have a major release going on.

People can believe me or not, but I can assure there's nothing sinister going on there.   

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 10

11 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

I think what you saw -- and wildly misinterpreted, at least initially -- was the last traces of our Quality Assurance (QA) people at work.     That is,  and most particularly during the run up to the initial release, we test everything multiple times, and that includes testing what happens when a new owner takes over the parcel.  

So yes, during the last few days after we finally cloned the regions over from the SSP regions to Bellissaria and then switched them from one estate to another,  several Lindens (and their alts) were very busy taking over parcels from each other and double-checking everything worked as expected after the handover.    

They remained owners of the parcels that they'd been checking until a resident was assigned one by the website.    What you report seeing  is expected behaviour, as we call it.  I guess the Land Lindens could have reassigned the parcels to Governor Linden or whoever the placeholder was after QA was finished but it would just have made unnecessary extra work for people who are plenty busy anyway, even when we don't have a major release going on.

People can believe me or not, but I can assure there's nothing sinister going on there.   

Wasn't aware of a conspiracy theory on that subject! Woudnt be a great idea to copy a section of bellisseria somewhere else and have it for employees? they could hop on the train too!  actually, you guys have a whole continent over there at SSP just asking to be habbited! that could be the new employee dream land!

• Moles
1 minute ago, Seba Serpente said:

Wasn't aware of a conspiracy theory on that subject! Woudnt be a great idea to copy a section of bellisseria somewhere else and have it for employees? they could hop on the train too!  actually, you guys have a whole continent over there at SSP just asking to be habbited! that could be the new employee dream land!

The Moles are all residents anyway, and as far as I know, we've all kept our own homes in-world.    I certainly have.    Some of the Lindens also have their inworld homes, at least on their alt accounts, and some of those date back to when they were SL residents, too.  

You wouldn't actually see much of us, I think.   When we're in-world on our official accounts, that means we're working, whether it's maintenance on existing content or working on new projects, and when we're working on new material, that's usually on one of our private development regions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Seba Serpente said:

I actually grabbed a house also at that first release. It was the small traditional(OMG SMALL), so I actually changed it! I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT DANG MAIL BOX OPTION!!! GRRRR??

So I let it go? I mean I am renting a other 5k parcel atm also decorating the Scarlet Creatives Magica house on it. I get lost in that house as compared to not even being able to see my elbow in the small traditional Linden Lab home.

1 minute ago, Adumelial Rothstein said:

I actually grabbed a house also at that first release. It was the small traditional(OMG SMALL), so I actually changed it! I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT DANG MAIL BOX OPTION!!! GRRRR??

So I let it go? I mean I am renting a other 5k parcel atm also decorating the Scarlet Creatives Magica house on it. I get lost in that house as compared to not even being able to see my elbow in the small traditional Linden Lab home.

Yea, many people the first days were also thinking was one option and thats it... i actually let go various before hold onto one when i finally saw someone around somehow switching the home.... and touched the mailbox by chance.. and there it was, OPTIONS.... The process could be better in some ways... like for example... giving that info somehow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.