$99 problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

New fees for annual memberships raised to $99 usd will be coming. This is the price premium members will pay for wanting nice things. I wanted to make a alt premium but maybe ill pass now. Who needs 2 Linden homes anyway lol 

• Like 2

Well then... LL just priced premium completely out of my reach.

Apparently LL is determined to oust all us poor folk and have SL only for the people who have incomes over $50,000 US annually.

Thanks LL. It's so nice to know how much Linden Research dba Linden Lab appreciated the thousands of dollars I have (now) wasted over the past 15 years. I was going to request my original account back and go premium on it again but no, you had to go and raise the rate and make it unaffordable.

• Like 7

Not a deal breaker for me.  Happy to pay it.  its been 72$ for years  and 10 more groups \o/

Oh major edit here because I responded initially as I was closing down for bed and was responding only to the OP's premium cost rise which I do still believe is ok. Since waking and reading the complete LL post about the changes.  Not happy at all

Edited by Cindy Evanier
I woke up
  • Like 4

* Quarterly plans may be renewed, but are no longer available for new Premium Memberships

So now you have two choices... pay annually or monthly. What a load of hogwash.

Effective June 24, 2019.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So now you have two choices... pay annually or monthly. What a load of hogwash.

Effective June 24, 2019.

Ill definitely be locking in my current rate for another year. Ill deal with the next renewal when that time nears. 

• Like 3

You know, it would not surprise me if LL were to do away with basic accounts altogether. If they ever do go that far, they may as well close the doors to Linden Research because there is no way they can stay viable on Sansar income alone. They really are shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Selective reading much?

PremiumPriceChange2019 (1).jpg

I copied and past the comment directly below that image. Try reading it for yourself.

* Quarterly plans may be renewed, but are no longer available for new Premium Memberships

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You know, it would not surprise me if LL were to do away with basic accounts altogether. If they ever do go that far, they may as well close the doors to Linden Research because there is no way they can stay viable on Sansar income alone. They really are shooting themselves in the foot.

I wouldnt be against a pay to play platform. It would weed out the riff raff. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ananoelle said:

So I'm riff raff? Gee, thanks. 

I hope you didn't mean it that way. 

SL would be pretty deserted if they ever did away with basics.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

It would also effectively ban lower incomes from SL. 

This is true. 

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

So I'm riff raff? Gee, thanks. 

I hope you didn't mean it that way. 

Its not what I meant at all. Sorry if you read it that way.

My thinking comes from console gaming. Ive been paying a sub for years just to play the games I like. I guess im used to it.  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

It would certainly reduce the number of alts quite dramatically. I wonder what the consequences of that would be.

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I would just like to point out, as someone who has been around for a very long time, you used to pay $10 for an account (every account, at one point), and then as I seem to recall every account past the first. I am by no means advocating that Linden Lab return to that model, but creating a financial deterrent to griefing and trolling was at least at one point part of the Second Life playbook.

• Like 2

Did anyone notice that full regions are reduced 20 usd? This offsets the cost of membership from 72 to 99 usd lol

(Remember that 99 usd is approx 145 aud at current exchange rates)

Actually, i have been expecting a price rise for a while..

Edited by kathyparnes1
had something else to add lol

12 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

This is true. 

Its not what I meant at all. Sorry if you read it that way.

My thinking comes from console gaming. Ive been paying a sub for years just to play the games I like. I guess im used to it.  

While I don't have a console (and have no desire for one) I do have lifetime subs to STO and a couple of other games. If I had to pay for those now? No way. I'd have to starve to death first which would be rather stupid considering I'd be dead before I could pay for the sub. That $99? That's 2 weeks worth of food for me and it only takes about 10 days of no food to kill you.

Meh. Don't care about group maximums or IM caps and don't have the money to buy a full region so this costs more for the same service. I'll keep the premium membership, though.

It's too bad we can't pick different "extras" or have them a la carte. Like if premium pricing stayed the same, but you can add $1/mo more for each of higher IM caps, higher group limit, half price uploads, and so on. I'd use an upload discount.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Malarthi Behemoth said:

I would just like to point out, as someone who has been around for a very long time, you used to pay $10 for an account (every account, at one point), and then as I seem to recall every account past the first. I am by no means advocating that Linden Lab return to that model, but creating a financial deterrent to griefing and trolling was at least at one point part of the Second Life playbook.

I was here back then. I do remember. Which is why I let my very first account go after the trial period was over. 

They won't be able to deter determined griefers and trollers by financial means.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/03/guys-its-time-for-some-troll-theory/521046/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.