LESS PRIMS THAN WHAT WAS LISTED FOR LAND

tleerede4play

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Was this Mainland? There's no variability possible on Mainland: the size of the parcel (and which region it's on) completely determines the number of prims.

On Estates it's slightly different. While it's still true that each region has an "object bonus" multiplier that determines how many prims are available per square meter of parcel size, the Estate owner can adjust that multiplier on a per-region basis, and adjust accordingly the prim usage on unsold land area.

11 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just adding for others that anyone can see the land capacity of a lot (mainland or private) by looking on the land tab -- preferably before buying.  

image.png.c5a355141734d4942a6b984a7e9dba47.png

be carefull it can be confusing :) for sure for new buyers

you really need to look at the "parcel" capacity only, teh region capacity will mislead .. thats showing the (group) owned capacity on the total sim.

d556c7c7865fb35519395c9131e75feb.png

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I just purchased land at auction 1024 for 910L!  (First-time buyer)  It was a steal but its also on a steep incline and was hard to get flat enough for a house.  I read that I had 350 prims and didn't think it would be that much of an issue.   But after  I  only place a few palms, fencing and hedges and the actual house I end up with only 79 prims to decorate.  The house is from Scarlet Creative and it says for a 2048 lot size so maybe its too much house for the land?  I have removed the scripts from the hedges and fencing and the shadows from the trees but it doesn't seem to make a dent.   Do I need to find another house?  or is there some way to short cut the impact?

2 hours ago, BettiRaige said:

I just purchased land at auction 1024 for 910L!  (First-time buyer)  It was a steal but its also on a steep incline and was hard to get flat enough for a house.  I read that I had 350 prims and didn't think it would be that much of an issue.   But after  I  only place a few palms, fencing and hedges and the actual house I end up with only 79 prims to decorate.  The house is from Scarlet Creative and it says for a 2048 lot size so maybe its too much house for the land?  I have removed the scripts from the hedges and fencing and the shadows from the trees but it doesn't seem to make a dent.   Do I need to find another house?  or is there some way to short cut the impact?

You didn't tell us how much the LI was on the house. Honestly I am wondering how you got it to FIT on your 1024 as usually houses designated as a 2048 house would have a footprint over 32 x 32.   Anyway, I would personally say that your house should be under 100 land impact for a 1024 lot.  So yes, likely too much house for your land.

ALSO be sure and check the land impact of all those hedges and palms. They could be 1 LI or 12 LI or even more. That can add up quickly. 

You certainly CAN decorate a house with only 79 prims. We all did it in the olden days, but I would say leaving a third of your LI for the furnishing and decor would be a good starting spot.  Sure others would do it differently; it is all up to the individual and where they spend their time on their land. 

Good luck. 

Depending on the Scarlet house, it can be quite primmy or low impact. Her houses vary greatly in land impact, so you need to check the LI along with the parcel size recommendation. With a suggested parcel size of 2048, you are probably running right up to the boundary edges, which could causes issues. Personally I wouldn't ever use more than 25% of my LI allotment on my house. I'd give up the house before I'd give up the furnishings and garden items. Also, it is highly unlikely that removing scripts will make a difference. While there are some rare instances where removing scripts from a mesh object will reduce LI by one, it's extremely rare to have that happen. If I were in your shoes, I'd go house shopping for something smaller with a lower land impact.

The house is the Scarlet Creative Oceania Beach House 0.3 it says LI is 87 when I right click it.  It was in the marketplace but its gone now so I can't double check the numbers for the land usage.    I am still such a newb when it comes to this so bear that in mind if I don't get the verbiage correctly.   Placing the house had to be done sideways but it works for the view!   I wonder if there is anyplace I can do some reading about this kind of stuff or is the forums the best place for this kind of information?   Maybe I just need to ask the right questions.   I agree that the house may be too big but it looks so good I may just live on a mattress just to enjoy this view for a bit!  Thanks so much. 

45 minutes ago, BettiRaige said:

The house is the Scarlet Creative Oceania Beach House 0.3 it says LI is 87 when I right click it.  It was in the marketplace but its gone now so I can't double check the numbers for the land usage.    I am still such a newb when it comes to this so bear that in mind if I don't get the verbiage correctly.   Placing the house had to be done sideways but it works for the view!   I wonder if there is anyplace I can do some reading about this kind of stuff or is the forums the best place for this kind of information?   Maybe I just need to ask the right questions.   I agree that the house may be too big but it looks so good I may just live on a mattress just to enjoy this view for a bit!  Thanks so much. 

I own this one myself. It is 87 LI and will fit easily on a square 1024.

32x32.thumb.jpg.ce60a2f96a7e50a57f1ca0e39dbf066f.jpg

That LI isn't too bad really for a house. I'd check the furnishing and landscape items for LI count. Also be careful about linking items. Most of the time linking will lower LI, but there are times when it does the opposite and will make the LI skyrocket. 

I also shrunk the house a little bit and got it down to 75 LI. The walls are still quite tall. 

shrunk.thumb.jpg.1f2424d49cf3f97d4db449e4b36b9bc8.jpg

I really enjoyed this little house. It's a keeper. You just need some really low LI furnishings. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

I will try to shrink it.  Need to learn that.      It turns out the fencing I was using was taking up a lot of the LI so I removed it.  I'm back to about having 155 to work with.  Thanks so much!!    The fencing was from Apple Fall so I was thinking it was good for low LI .  I wonder if when I make things larger does that double the numbers or do they stay the same?  I don't have gazyo or whatever that is but when I take a few shots I will share them.   Or am I in the wrong place for that ... I think I may have hijacked this original post! 

SORRY!!

6 minutes ago, BettiRaige said:

I wonder if when I make things larger does that double the numbers or do they stay the same?

Yes mesh is totally unpredictable there (well no, technically it isn't - the math is deterministic, better say unintuitive), it could even incrrease in LI when you shrink it.

Edited by Fionalein

The fencing was from Apple Fall so I was thinking it was good for low LI .  I wonder if when I make things larger does that double the numbers or do they stay the same? 

It depends on the item and how it was made but the answer is YES land impact can change with resizing -- both up and down and sometimes "down" can even increase the land impact.  Also never assume that ALL items by a designer are "low impact" or ever "high impact". Different items will naturally be of different land impacts and designers often shift their priorities over time. I have noted a few that USED to make reasonably low land impact items and now their furniture and buildings are much higher with many more textures.  So wise shopping is good.   

There is a new thread here about wise shopping so if you can find that --- or someone can link it for you, that would be good to read. 

It showed up in the stream. Here you go: 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

Since you are new to owning land, there is something else you want to do from time to time.  Open World>Parcel Details>Objects and press the little circle refresh button.  The box underneath will show if people other then yourself has items on your parcel.  If someone does, you can either ask them to pick them up or highlight their name and select Return Objects.  I once rented an open space sim way back when, wondered why I was running out of LI and found out someone had built an underwater home in the ocean I had made.  So check the build permissions you have for your new land, and check to see it others have placed things on your parcel.  Also, sometimes linking items will bring down LI.  I wander my home frequently to link items to see if I can bring down my LI.  Specially small 1 and 2LI items.  I usually only do that for copy items though.    

If you place fencing all around the property, it is a lot of LI.

There are some tricks. First you must search low inpact wall kits. Preferably where each part is no more than 1 LI. If the description says that the pieces can be sized up without increase in the LI, that is better.

The wall main part here comes in a default sixe 5.8 m. I stretched it to max, 64 m long. And believe me, you can stretch it up taller too. Will it not look ugly when the texture is stretched like this? The trick is to go into the edit mode and choose tecture. Edit horizontal scale, and you will see how you get a nice change in the texture. Where the shading is, you now place midposts, and cornerposts in the corners and end posts where the gate is, if you want an opening. Then link it all. My 1024 is a flat square. They are easier to decorate.

I have 4 walls (the size of 32 m) + 14 mid posts + 4 corner posts + 2 end posts. That is 24 parts = 13 LI when linked together.

Edit to add, the texture in the vertical scale has to stay as default.

Edit 2: I have 5 walls, of course. One on each side of the gate.

wall_001.jpg

wall_004.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, BettiRaige said:

I will try to shrink it.  Need to learn that.      It turns out the fencing I was using was taking up a lot of the LI so I removed it.  I'm back to about having 155 to work with.  Thanks so much!!    The fencing was from Apple Fall so I was thinking it was good for low LI .  I wonder if when I make things larger does that double the numbers or do they stay the same? 

The resizer I use is a free one from Herk's lab. Search it on the Marketplace. It is so easy to use. Just dump it in the contents of anything resizable, touch it and choose + or - . After, you can remove the script.

It is very useful if I will resize different things so it is resized in the same %. I can resize a sofa and a chair, both - 10% and they stay in scale. It takes too much time to do by hand.

13 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The resizer I use is a free one from Herk's lab. Search it on the Marketplace. It is so easy to use. Just dump it in the contents of anything resizable, touch it and choose + or - . After, you can remove the script.

It is very useful if I will resize different things so it is resized in the same %. I can resize a sofa and a chair, both - 10% and they stay in scale. It takes too much time to do by hand.

THIS is fantastic news!  I hate trying to resize and never getting everything even!  I am so glad there is something to do the work for me! Thanks so much.   I'm on it!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:58 PM, Marianne Little said:

If you place fencing all around the property, it is a lot of LI.

There are some tricks. First you must search low inpact wall kits. Preferably where each part is no more than 1 LI. If the description says that the pieces can be sized up without increase in the LI, that is better.

The wall main part here comes in a default sixe 5.8 m. I stretched it to max, 64 m long. And believe me, you can stretch it up taller too. Will it not look ugly when the texture is stretched like this? The trick is to go into the edit mode and choose tecture. Edit horizontal scale, and you will see how you get a nice change in the texture. Where the shading is, you now place midposts, and cornerposts in the corners and end posts where the gate is, if you want an opening. Then link it all. My 1024 is a flat square. They are easier to decorate.

I have 4 walls (the size of 32 m) + 14 mid posts + 4 corner posts + 2 end posts. That is 24 parts = 13 LI when linked together.

Edit to add, the texture in the vertical scale has to stay as default.

Edit 2: I have 5 walls, of course. One on each side of the gate.

wall_001.jpg

wall_004.jpg

I am learning SO MUCH!  I had no idea that something as simple as fencing could impact that much.  
What brand are you using?     I am noticing that going up to a platform does not seem to be an option at my location as it is very heavily trafficked.  (side note to new buyers. LOOK UP)  So making the best on the mainland is my main objective.  The land is at Xalfor near the water so I love the location.  However.   I see that fencing is a great way to make it a little private without using the giant walls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 8:36 AM, BettiRaige said:

I am learning SO MUCH!  I had no idea that something as simple as fencing could impact that much.  
What brand are you using?     I am noticing that going up to a platform does not seem to be an option at my location as it is very heavily trafficked.  (side note to new buyers. LOOK UP)  So making the best on the mainland is my main objective.  The land is at Xalfor near the water so I love the location.  However.   I see that fencing is a great way to make it a little private without using the giant walls.

Sorry for so late reply. That wall is popular in SL because it is so low impact. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Low-Impact-Garden-Wall-kit/3228831

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.