Account Hacked

Danica Sommerfeld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

25 answers to this question

Please follow all of these instructions immediately:

1. Login to your account on the Second Life support portal.
  2. Enter the following:
    • Under What type of problem are you having?, select "Account Issue" from the drop down menu
    • Under Account Issue, select "I believe my account has been compromised."
    • Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
    • Copy the Tracking Number for your new ticket
    • You will receive an email containing your ticket information.
  3. Call the Fraud number: 800-860-6990
Once we look over your submission, Linden Lab will place your account on hold, and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days in some cases. Once we have finished the investigation, we will send you an email explaining our conclusion and explaining the action that will be taken with respect to your account. As a reminder, all transactions involving Linden Dollars are subject to our Terms of Service (TOS).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PenelopeWinthorpe said:

aplogies if it was "hijacked" but hacking is hacking. do something to fix it an people wont complain about poor security of linen labs and third party viewers

stop talking about hacking, you have, same as us, not a clue about what happened, most likely as most common reason it's phishing, and not even close to hacking.

• Like 4

Just now, Danica Sommerfeld said:

I don't consider it Hijacking if it Helps other Residents 

true, but it's a one month old totally empty profiled. no payment info account that screams hacking for a few hours, while nothing happened to her,  that's simply not going to help your abuse case.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 4:02 PM, PenelopeWinthorpe said:

EXACTLY why griefing and hacking needs to be taken more seriously, this is real and its happening.

I would not click on that.  When I cautiously examined it, it asked me to enable a "monetisation" browser add-on.  Besides, the presentation it references is ten years old.

Edited by Dakota Linden
MODERATOR EDIT: 3rd party links & video removed
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I would not click on that.  When I cautiously examined it, it asked me to enable a "monetisation" browser add-on.  Besides, the presentation it references is ten years old.

I saw that url in another thread and replied "I would not touch that url with your keyboard". The pdf extension caused a few flags to go up in my mind. I tried to find my post and discovered it not shown in my profile. Tells me the thread was yanked?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I saw that url in another thread and replied "I would not touch that url with your keyboard". The pdf extension caused a few flags to go up in my mind. I tried to find my post and discovered it not shown in my profile. Tells me the thread was yanked?

Agreed, you can hide all kinds of naughtniness inside a PDF/office document - As an extreme non-malevolent example there are scientific articles that can access databases and draw up to date graphics... for someone concerned about getting hacked the poster of the link shows a devastating lack of paranoia concerning online documents ;)

13 hours ago, PenelopeWinthorpe said:

im sorry if my technical terminology upsets you

Hey there, since the original poster’s problem is now solved..your hacking knowledge can be useful in another thread, on another day. But not here, because the OP figured out how to yank their account back by merely changing their password.

Have a good day.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:10 PM, PenelopeWinthorpe said:

if LL was hacked and the database and such was compermised, they would reset all user passwords,  they did this once in 2006 to every one.  so is the accounts hacked?  no.  LL would be all over it and issusing statements,  this is not a company that hides these type of issues, we'd know, so what can be gained from this, avoid using links to other sites that do not have the secondlife.com domain on them, simple.  avoid being phished.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 2:10 PM, PenelopeWinthorpe said:

lots of us here in the forums have been around from early on and that includes bulletin board systems (bbs), so please understand us old timers like correcting so everybody understands and others will know what you was referring too.

• Like 1

on the subject of being hacked, the only way you could be hacked would be ie, from your pc, or if Lyndon labs was hacked, they would use a key logger on your pc, which logs anything you type in from your pc and sends it back to the hacker via a Trojan virus, use a decent virus checker update regular, do a fill system scan just in case, a good firewall helps, would have thought Lyndon's security would be top spec, i see it all the time on face book where people get there accounts cloned, but thats a diff thing to here, make sure your pc is not slow that could be a sure sign of malicious software or a virus running in the background, there are also some fake browser sites about what could do it, i think firestorm recently had a prob with it, only use browser from the original site not a third party site, hope you have luck 

Edited by binder59
spelling
  • Confused 1

On 11/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, Danica Sommerfeld said:

I don't know I was logged in and Suddenly I was logged off. I caught it because my Credit Card Company sent a message of a few Charges I didn't make.  

EXACTLY why griefing and hacking needs to be taken more seriously, this is real and its happening.

Edited by Dakota Linden
MODERATOR EDIT: 3rd party links & video removed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.