Second Life Marketplace

Riotfrank

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The marketplace and any inworld store are completely seperate things.

To give you some perspective: All things in Second Life are made by users. People like you. Some decide to build a store inworld and set up all or part of their products on the marketplace. Some are only on the marketplace, because of costs or because they aren't interested in having an inworld store and others just want to sell inworld. At any moment, none of the two covers everything that exists in Second Life.

17 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

The marketplace and any inworld store are completely seperate things.

To give you some perspective: All things in Second Life are made by users. People like you. Some decide to build a store inworld and set up all or part of their products on the marketplace. Some are only on the marketplace, because of costs or because they aren't interested in having an inworld store and others just want to sell inworld. At any moment, none of the two covers everything that exists in Second Life.

@Syo EmeraldSo basically not all things inworld would be in the marketplace and you could find completely different things in both? What do you prefer/ suggest inworld or marketplace for more variety.

Thanks a lot for the help and response. 

Edited by Riotfrank

I have both an in-world store, though many times I've considered closing it, and a marketplace store. Everything I sell is in the Marketplace store but my in-world location only contains my newer releases and best sellers. 

As for my personal shopping method, MP or in-world. I actually prefer shopping in-world. I rarely buy from the MP unless I'm looking for specific gacha items. I will on occasion use the MP as a tool for window shopping, but once I find something in the MP I will go to the in-world shop to purchase. Now you may well wonder if that's my personal behavior why in the world would I consider closing my in-world shop. Well, in a nutshell, it's because 90% of my sales come from the MP. So I from time to time question whether spending money to have an in-world location is worth it, especially during those times when I wish I had more prims for my SL home.

Personally I would check out both,  because if creator has both; as sometimes newer releases can be slower come to the MP store and can be found in in world store easier.  However personal preference, some stuff I bought from MP are from creators who no longer update MP store but I still like shopping they even if older style stock as can be useful for whatever I need in that moment.

Both. Always both. Even creators who utilize both methods may have items available on one that aren't on/in the other. New items, for instance, may be made available inworld before they wind up on the Marketplace, while older but still lovely releases may have leftthe inworld store and be available only on the Marketplace - sometimes at a discount! I've also seen notes on marketplace listings that the item is available inworld for a lower price (which makes sense, a little, since MP takes a percentage of each sale made on it  if I recall correctly). 

It's easy to miss gorgeous items by using only Marketplace, or only inworld stores. 

3 hours ago, Riotfrank said:

@Syo EmeraldSo basically not all things inworld would be in the marketplace and you could find completely different things in both? What do you prefer/ suggest inworld or marketplace for more variety.

Thanks a lot for the help and response. 

The marketplace has the advantages of online shopping. Its quicker, especially when you aren't already knowing where to go to. But I also shop inworld. Preferably at stores that I already know or at shopping events inworld, that usually happen each month or every couple of months (depending on the event), which feature a great varity of creators, who have often made entirely new items just for that event. And if you like to gamble a bit, Gacha machines are also something to be found inworld.

I know one maker, who makes amazing clothes, R2, who has no marketplace store. In my own personal business, selling art. I have some things in the MP that cannot be found in world, and other things that can be found in the in world store that are not in the MP. You need to remember that putting an item in one place does not automatically place it in the other.  A merchant must do each one separately, since people tend to be lazy (at least that is the case with me) Once the item gets placed in one area, and is now available for purchase, there is less incentive to  continue  working on that, and the temptation is to be creative and put ones energy into creating the next new  item. (or just to goof off)

There's a place for both. In the beginning I didn't realise that you could shop in world, so my early days were spent fumbling around the Marketplace, trying to understand what would fit what Avi.  They were valuable times, I made mistakes but that's great for learning.

Then a newbie advisor took me to an in world store, and my eyes were opened to this huge potential. I was addicted from that day, and love the experience of exploring stores in world.

My only issue is that it can be hard to find some stores in world without help, which is why I asked questions here, on the forum, and was given lists of places to go......................

Now most of my shopping is in world, but if you know exactly what you want, a Marketplace search on the item or the seller can be quicker than searching the store.

22 hours ago, Riotfrank said:

So basically not all things inworld would be in the marketplace and you could find completely different things in both? What do you prefer/ suggest inworld or marketplace for more variety.

The marketplace is really great if you are looking for something specific saves you trudging across the grid, with all the various shopping events and hunts that are around and things like L$50 Friday L$25 Tuesday weekly deals and group gifts you get to find things that aren't available on the marketplace yet or may never will be and they are usually set out a cheaper price than their post deal price and more for impulse buys. with all the different deals and events around i shop more inworld spent a small fortune on buying up most of the L$50 Friday deals yesterday

The majority of the time I shop in-world*. I may use the MP at times as a catalog, but then I choose items where the seller has an in-world store.  It can be difficult at times to find in-world stores that carry the type of items one likes, but that is also where events and all the special shopping discount days (L$50 Friday, L$25 Tuesday, Thrifty Thursday, etc) are handy.  Not only can you find items to buy at a discounted price, but you get to explore a variety of in-world stores which slowly allows you to find and build up a favorite group of stores.

* Exceptions would most likely be items advertised as a special only on the MP from an in-world store whose group I belong to or a quick purchase of an item from a seller with an in-world store where I'm familiar with their products already.    

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.