Secondlife declining player base

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You have to try and see this from the perspective of a relative newcomer, they're done a search and had a thread come up that meets their expectations, they will inevitably add a post.

I know it annoys the hell out of many of you, but I don't find it enough to make me thump the desk, And as Arielle said, possibly paraphrasing Georges Santayana, the past has an importance that is easy to overlook in the heat of the moment.

• Like 2

The problem is that the relative newcomer often gets stale information and doesn't recognize that it's way out of date. Some old threads do have cool stuff in them, but a lot of the old stuff is misleading or was responding to some ancient OP's personal issue that has long since been resolved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The problem is that the relative newcomer often gets stale information and doesn't recognize that it's way out of date. Some old threads do have cool stuff in them, but a lot of the old stuff is misleading or was responding to some ancient OP's personal issue that has long since been resolved

But in the case of this thread, the problems are cyclical and ongoing.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:47 PM, Cheza Tearfall said:

Secondlife has been at a decline its player base for sometime. It also appears that they seem to be very secretive about the numbers of players. When researched the only information is from an article back in 2017. Also do you think Linden Labs should be held responsible for other residents scamming and committing fraud on their platform?

Nothing new under the sun, even if it is an EEP one rather than windlight. 😟

9 hours ago, Brock Copperfield said:

Though many seem to disagree with me, I think the hardware requirements are simply moving up faster than people can upgrade.  The majority of the people who used Second Life were middle working class where the majority of their money went towards bills.  Buying updated graphics cards and processors, if not whole computers just isn't in the budget, especially when the current computer works fine for everything else including browsing the web.  A friend of mine, ironically on Second Life, gave me a different theory.  It has gained a reputation of being a hot spot for people with a more, spicy life style and only wants a sexual activity fantasy, especially with avatars that have a animal essence (some call them furries) to their human shape.

I would have to disagree with you on the hardware requirements. They have stayed relatively the same since the conception of Second life. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I would have to disagree with you on the hardware requirements. They have stayed relatively the same since the conception of Second life. 

The published requirements maybe, the practical requirements not so much at all.

I have a wide range of computers that do get dragged out to test SL on. Plenty of the Catznip userbase are on lower end and older hardware that once upon a time was perfectly acceptable for SL.

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Plenty of the Catznip userbase are on lower end and older hardware that once upon a time was perfectly acceptable for SL.

I have a couple pf 12-year old PCs limited to 4G RAM, the run several viewers as well as Catznip quite well. I have to avoid the really crowded clubs but I see that as serendipiy, not a major limitation.

I do accept though that if you want to visit a region that is chock-full of mesh buildings you do need ALM off to get at least half a chance, so that's one area where newer hardware is a must.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.