Is the way to retrieve im and chat history in case you need them as a defence?

Zoebug Agrawal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is the a way to retrieve old chat and im messages going back a month, beyond that which is the viewer chat logs and on my computer. 
I have no intention of sharing with 3rd parties,or breaking the TOS, except maybe Linden Labs if that is allowed.
A couple of recent friends are accusing me of stuff I would never do, and spreading untruths about me, I have no idea what they might do next.
I might sadly need to defend myself.
Edited by Zoebug Agrawal
minor

10 answers to this question

Note:  There will not be any chat or IM logs on your computer unless you have configured your Preferences to save them.

Second note:  The nearby chat log file, named chat.txt, can become quite large.  All your log files are appended to, every time you have a conversation.  Since local chat is always going on, this file will become larger every time you log in to SL.  I try to remember to edit mine...every few months I'll open it, cut off everything but the last three months, and save the earlier material in a file with a different name.

• Like 2

It's weird. For many years I've turn off chat logs by redirecting them to a small ramdisk. It's all lost when I turn off my computer. My memory is good enough that I can tell other people - paraphrased in my own words - what has happened.

I certainly have no reason or desire to "use" chatlogs against anyone, that's just drama. And with my club, I have no desire to see third-hand what other people have said, that's just drama as well.

OP, chat logs are not a defense, they are editable, unreliable, and 100% drama. Forget they exist and your SL will be much happier. When you have friends who are spreading malicious rumours about you, shrug it off and head off to find new friends. After all, you know the rumours are false, so why bother defending yourself? Just say "Meh" and kick those people from your life with a mute/ban ... because, the harder you defend something, the more guilty you look.

• Like 1

The chat and IM logs on your own computer are the only accessible records of your conversations. Linden Lab has their own logs but you cannot get them. "Defending" yourself often does nothing more than bring on more drama. Having logs probably won't make much difference if tempers are hot. Just take time to let people calm down.

Chat logs can be found in C:\Users\[Win_Login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\[avatar_name]  (Windows)

The logs are plain text files. Over time they can get large and slow the viewer. I make a year folder (e.g., 2017) and move the large chat files into it. The viewer will create a new, empty version of the file and be a bit faster. The Local Area chat file, chat.txt, can get huge.

Defending yourself online using the idea of 'evidence' simply does NOT work. Your chat logs are 'editable' text files. So, a person can make them say anything they want or remove whatever they do not like. 

Everything in SL is digital and can be edited. Text, images, audio, and video can all be edited.

New video software using AI allows the people in the video to be edited and their lips sync'd with whatever audio one wants. Expect to see political campaigns making their October surprises using this new software.

Political radicals generally base their tactics on Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. He brags about lying to the people he was organizing to achieve his ends. We very much live in an age of the ends justifying the means. As radicals tend to believe Darwin's broken evolution hypothesis (ref on broken), they have no reason not to lie. If you are dealing with similar people, they have no reason to correct their behavior or listen to you. They have no reason not to do whatever they want.

When another's behavior becomes harassment you can file Abuse Reports. The Lindens can review server logs, which depending on who you talk to include chat logs too. But, those logs may only last a couple of days on busy servers. Including exact time and date with the Abuse Report is critical. Without it the process slows.

Abuse Reports are a team sport for various vigilante groups. There are groups that abuse the Abuse Report... Consider AR's a double edged sword. Also, be aware that group evidence is not evidence. Vigilante groups show teams can also organise to hide and distort. Just watch any iRL political campaign.

What to do? There are personally gratifying strategies and effective strategies. They tend to be mutually exclusive.

The point of most such drama is to create and experience drama. There are plenty of people with mental issues and personality disorders. You have to figure out which you are dealing with. If you fight for right and truth against those queens striving for drama, you are being sucked in. Debating the mentally distorted is often pointless. So, your thinking has to shift and you have to decide on a goal. That goal will depend on whether it is just you and one other or others are involved. 

So, your choice. For those one-to-one problems ignore, insulate yourself, and move on seems the most effective. It is what Rolig is recommending.

In group settings, like a forum, it is often important to assure others are not mislead, which complicates what you'll do. In general you can get an antagonist to reveal who they are and their nature. Once you have them on a roll, use generally known/accepted facts and let them rave against those. People will pick up on what is happening, but your antagonist usually won't. Once I get the clown dancing I have a hard time stopping. However, I recommend being kind and stopping once they've danced.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The logs are plain text files. Over time they can get large and slow the viewer. I make a year folder (e.g., 2017) and move the large chat files into it. The viewer will create a new, empty version of the file and be a bit faster. The Local Area chat file, chat.txt, can get huge.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Second note:  The nearby chat log file, named chat.txt, can become quite large.  All your log files are appended to, every time you have a conversation.  Since local chat is always going on, this file will become larger every time you log in to SL.  I try to remember to edit mine...every few months I'll open it, cut off everything but the last three months, and save the earlier material in a file with a different name.

Or if if you use Firestorm, just tick the box that tells it to append the date to the file name and you automatically get new files each day.

• Moderators

Greetings!

Posting Off Topic content on a thread is rude, please do not do that. 

If you wish to discuss something that was raised in a reply post you should create a new thread in the appropriate forum section to continue the conversation. 

Post in this thread that are Off Topic to the original post have been removed. 

• Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.