Firestorm and the DDOS attacks.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

During the last few days of DDOS attcks, several people, including me, found that the SL viewer could log in, and the Firestorm viewer couldn't unless it was set to Phoenix mode.  Is there an explanation of why this should be so?  Does Firestorm in Firestorm Mode use methods of communications that the other modes and viewers don't?

Or did the Lab turn off Firestorm logins to drastically reduce the load?

I'm not criticising such a decision, but it would be interesting to know.

I found that the LL viewer (which is what I assume you mean by "SL viewer") was hit and miss. Yesterday I logged an alt in to do something without noticing any problem at all. Then I needed to log her out and in, but couldn't get her back in and I eventually gave up trying. So I'm guessing that your observations were just coincidence, but that's just a guess. What's not a guess is that the LL viewer was hit and miss, and, for me, mostly miss.

Edited by Phil Deakins

I am going to say its all coincidence but here is my experience

The first day (Monday) I logged myself out at the start of the issues, thinking it was me but was able to get back in on my normal FS with phoenix mode after about an hour.

Other half had no problem logging in

Tuesday - no issues at all I stayed logged in all the time people were having a meltdown but my other half on regular FS gave up trying after 10 minutes. (No stamina)

Tuesday - alt using lumyia logged in after about 4 attempts because I needed to raid his  L$ :D

I just think I got lucky

The only trouble I had Monday evening or yesterday for logging in was that it was sometimes very slow - but I always actually got logged in except for one time.  I use Firestorm in regular Firestorm mode.  Throughout the entire ordeal, I did get logged out a few times and other times I couldn't TP or rez items or move very well.

I'm of the opinion that it was all random chance. 

I think it was all coincidence and pure luck people were getting online when they did my alt got logged in first attempt using Firestorm mode then when i'd finished with my alt i couldn't get in and then neither did my alt in the end with patience and persistence i got in, in firestorm mode as the inworld count was going up

6 hours ago, anna2358 said:

During the last few days of DDOS attcks, several people, including me, found that the SL viewer could log in, and the Firestorm viewer couldn't unless it was set to Phoenix mode.  Is there an explanation of why this should be so?  Does Firestorm in Firestorm Mode use methods of communications that the other modes and viewers don't?

No, it was just coincidence.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.