Any vegans around?

EmmaRosalie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Confession, it wasn’t vegan except the veggie burger.

Ahh that's cool, You can make the same thing with the great range of meat and dairy substitutes now so you would barely know any difference. Good on you for trying the veggie burger. You would be amazed at what we have now, its not like we live on rabbit food.  Both of those deserts have no dairy or eggs and they were sooo good.

14 minutes ago, Derekmate said:

That is just so not true and I talk from experience. 

It depends who has cooked for you and what products you have chosen. Like you say not all is good but some of the more recent attempts at substitute meat and cheese and milk are really nice. We take our normal cooked stuff to a BBQ like lasagna and everybody eats it and leaves the sausages which can be a pain if we want some :(

Edited by chardonay Babii

32 minutes ago, chardonay Babii said:

Ahh that's cool, You can make the same thing with the great range of meat and dairy substitutes now so you would barely know any difference. Good on you for trying the veggie burger. You would be amazed at what we have now, its not like we live on rabbit food.  Both of those deserts have no dairy or eggs and they were sooo good.

I was a vegetarian for about 3 years. I’ve not found “good” vegan cheese yet. I often use nutritional yeast flakes (which may not technically be vegan) to give dishes a “cheesy, nutty” flavor.

I still don't 'get' the whole 'I'm vegan, I should only eat vegetables - let's try to mix vegetables, spices and chemicals to substitute meat products' mentality. If you don't want to consume meat, fine - but why then try to replicate its texture and taste?

I also never quite could understand the whole 'I'm vegan, but I'm also a Punk, so I'll find a fake leather jacket and fake leather boots' thing - you don't 'have' to wear leather to be a punk, and the substitute products' quality is more than often plain terrible.

In my trade, veganism simply isn't plausible. Animal glue, leather and tools made out of bone are simply irreplaceable (sure, they make Teflon bone folders these days but in many cases they A) aren't strong enough and B) mess up the surface of the work piece). And if you get in an original leather binding and try to 'fix' it with faux leather, you'd be tarred and feathered by the guild and ruin your business. Sure, you can turn down repairing and binding books with leather - but that's going to eliminate work that you most likely need to keep your business afloat to begin with. Also, you can't receive a journeyman's letter without taking the test - which demands leather bindings.

... Anecdotally it could also be mentioned that the pads used to stick printing ink on types are made from dog skin, which people apparently find freaky. I'm a dog lover, but I'm also quite fond of swans and don't have any issue with that their pens being used for calligraphy. I may draw the line at anthropodermic bindings - unless I can be made pretty well assured it was the person's wishes to become a book cover (apparently the law has some issue with it too, though).

Humankind has pretty much always used animals, making good use of every bit is, in my mind, the more affectionate option than to let it go to waste. I think it's a shame most people today are terrified of eating innards and organs, we would save a lot if only people would occasionally enjoy heart, liver and lungs - which are absolutely fine to eat. 

Then again, I'm a Swede, raised in a household with a strong influence of traditional Swedish cuisine - I've been served horse meat, tongue, kidneys, cheeks and liver (lye stockfish, sour herring, 'isterband (a fermented sausage)', etc.) for as long as I can remember; and whilst not perfectly particular to kidneys I was also raised with the mentality that no food should be thrown away (the kitchen smelling like a subway loo rather kills the appetite though, I'm afraid).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I still don't 'get' the whole 'I'm vegan, I should only eat vegetables - let's try to mix vegetables, spices and chemicals to substitute meat products' mentality. If you don't want to consume meat, fine - but why then try to replicate its texture and taste?

A lot of vegetarians and vegans DON’T eat “fake meat” and have no desire to.

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I probably weren't talking about them though, hm? =P

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ah, sorry. I misread your post with some bias, assumed you thought “all or most vegans” eat fake meat. My bad!

That would be generalizing and a very uneducated statement, filled with prejudice and ignorance. 

Stupidity is the first sin among satanists. 

• Thanks 1

a true vegan female would never suck a ____ or swallow cuz its against the vegan code of not eating things that ***** from a mammal also goes for drinking breast milk for fun   vegans dont eat anything from mammal  i found this out from the study they did at my local community college on that night we was all bored n i dont even go to school i was just there cuz i do beer runs cuz i got a id that says  im a adult 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's right... The real champions of "fake Meat" are the hardline Vego-Troopers of the Vegan Reich...

Those clueless middle class teenage girls who run around telling everyone that those horrid candy pink and off white strips of retextured vego-crud (tm)  "...taste just like real bacon but better, no really!" before reluctantly admitting during an eight hour interrogation with a lead-shot filled rubber hose, that they have NEVER eaten real bacon and thus have no basis for comparison.

The clueless vegans who brag about how much protein can be produced by a hectare of soya beans under ideal south east asia climate conditions on top quality farmland, and then claim this justifies trying to pass laws forcing a Derbyshire Hill farmer to try and replace his livestock with soya plants despite having a farm where the topsoil is less than 2 inches thick direct over the chalk, and where turf is the only damn thing that can grow without being uprooted in the first winter storm...

The worst example of the breed were the ones who seriously suggested that AFTER the Glorious Vegan Coup, Britain would send 11 million cattle to India, to live in peaceful retirement, so their old pastures could be repurposed for Soya-Crap, because...

"Cows are sacred in India"

And who then seemed surprised when you told them that shipping 11 million live cattle to India was not only unbelievably stupid, but excessively cruel, to the cows, AND to the Indians who would starve when 11 million British cattle arrived and ate all their damn crops. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Quinn Lysette said:

a true vegan female would never [redacted] cuz its against the vegan code of not eating things that ***** from a mammal also goes for drinking breast milk for fun   vegans dont eat anything from mammal

Well, putting someone's parts in your mouth for pleasure isn't really eating them. So it's more likely the girls said to you they were vegan as a sort of anti-creep excuse.

Also... drinking breast milk for fun?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Also... drinking breast milk for fun?

I hope this thread does not take a bad turn. With that said: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/06/03/men_who_drink_breast_milk_they_exist.html

While I'm at it, could Jack in the Box tacos be considered vegan? As been described by one online friend, "they are some kind of cat food wrapped in oily Doritos"' That may be the case, but the filling seems more soy than beef.

Still tasty though when chased with a chocolate shake.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Klytyna said:

That's right... The real champions of "fake Meat" are the hardline Vego-Troopers of the Vegan Reich...

Those clueless middle class teenage girls who run around telling everyone that those horrid candy pink and off white strips of retextured vego-crud (tm)  "...taste just like real bacon but better, no really!" before reluctantly admitting during an eight hour interrogation with a lead-shot filled rubber hose, that they have NEVER eaten real bacon and thus have no basis for comparison.

The clueless vegans who brag about how much protein can be produced by a hectare of soya beans under ideal south east asia climate conditions on top quality farmland, and then claim this justifies trying to pass laws forcing a Derbyshire Hill farmer to try and replace his livestock with soya plants despite having a farm where the topsoil is less than 2 inches thick direct over the chalk, and where turf is the only damn thing that can grow without being uprooted in the first winter storm...

The worst example of the breed were the ones who seriously suggested that AFTER the Glorious Vegan Coup, Britain would send 11 million cattle to India, to live in peaceful retirement, so their old pastures could be repurposed for Soya-Crap, because...

"Cows are sacred in India"

And who then seemed surprised when you told them that shipping 11 million live cattle to India was not only unbelievably stupid, but excessively cruel, to the cows, AND to the Indians who would starve when 11 million British cattle arrived and ate all their damn crops. 

Tell them sister * snapping with his fingers* 

I don't want to start with this vegan stuff because I believe that live and let live, accept if you are tasty . Then in the pan you go. ű

OP must be thrilled how well this is going. 

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.