What Clothing Is/Isn't Allowed on General Sims

KreepyKitKat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I typically only go onto general sims when I shop and noticed in a moderate store today that the skirt I have shows off my butt (Which I have panties on to cover the main parts and the only part that I could see was the bottom of my cheeks). I don't believe I wore this skirt to any general stores, but that does have me thinking, what's allowed on General Sims? I've read through the GMA settings helpful thing but could not see where it mentioned clothes besides no nudity. I know there's teens that get on here and have to stay in General Sims so I'm just wondering what is or isn't allowed? Would my skirt be allowed? Also, am I allowed to wear my spanker on general lands? I forget to take it off.

Edited by KreepyKitKat

Its a bit of a gray area, no adult objects or content should be visible obviously, but i think as long as you're all covered, its all good. Ive seen women go around with nothing but their underwear and be fine, as far as what SL considers safe, thats probably fine, but many individual G rated places may have more strict rules above that involving shirt/pants/skirt over underwear.

Its also different depending on what kind of avatar you have. Human avatars generally have to wear clothes, while those of us with furry avatars technically dont, but again thats also up to the rules of the space owner themselves.

As long as you have underwear there isnt an issue with your skirt. As high cut as it may be, i dont think anywhere would have a problem with it and unless someone specifically asks you about it, you should be able to go to any G rated place without Linden staff source consequences. But once more, land officers of a private G rated space may not approve, its up to them.

11 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

Its a bit of a gray area, no adult objects or content should be visible obviously, but i think as long as you're all covered, its all good. Ive seen women go around with nothing but their underwear and be fine, as far as what SL considers safe, thats probably fine, but many individual G rated places may have more strict rules above that involving shirt/pants/skirt over underwear.

Its also different depending on what kind of avatar you have. Human avatars generally have to wear clothes, while those of us with furry avatars technically dont, but again thats also up to the rules of the space owner themselves.

As long as you have underwear there isnt an issue with your skirt. As high cut as it may be, i dont think anywhere would have a problem with it and unless someone specifically asks you about it, you should be able to go to any G rated place without Linden staff source consequences. But once more, land officers of a private G rated space may not approve, its up to them.

Alright! I just wanted to check! I had just put my skinny jeans back on up until you answered, but now I get to put back on my new skirt! Thank you!

Edited by KreepyKitKat

Sensual is not sexual, and while you should err on the side of caution I think most sensual items are fine for short visits to G rated regions, after all it's something you would see on the street in real life anyway, and in all likelyhood probably worn by a teen.

As a very, very rough guide you can consider "Would I wear this in front of my real life Grandmother?".

It's far from a perfect test especially as if your grandmother is like mine, quite progressive and open minded and likely to be wearing something 'stylish' herself. :D

Really, my word doesn't mean much as I'm just a resident like you, but I'd personally consider a lot of revealing clothing is ok as long as genitals are not showing and for female humans there was a some minimum-translucent covering of zomg-nipples. For example I don't consider the sight of a Kajira in translucent silks that draped over her lola-attachments would be a shock to a reasonable grandmother.

As far as wearing the spanker hud, it's not sexual in any way I can see, so I'd think it's perfectly fine.

Always, as cykarushb says above, individual region owners can add their own rules on top. So if it's a private G rated sim check the covenant or rules, or just err on the side of caution.

2 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Sensual is not sexual, and while you should err on the side of caution I think most sensual items are fine for short visits to G rated regions, after all it's something you would see on the street in real life anyway, and in all likelyhood probably worn by a teen.

As a very, very rough guide you can consider "Would I wear this in front of my real life Grandmother?".

It's far from a perfect test especially as if your grandmother is like mine, quite progressive and open minded and likely to be wearing something 'stylish' herself. :D

Really, my word doesn't mean much as I'm just a resident like you, but I'd personally consider a lot of revealing clothing is ok as long as genitals are not showing and for female humans there was a some minimum-translucent covering of zomg-nipples. For example I don't consider the sight of a Kajira in translucent silks that draped over her lola-attachments would be a shock to a reasonable grandmother.

As far as wearing the spanker hud, it's not sexual in any way I can see, so I'd think it's perfectly fine.

Always, as cykarushb says above, individual region owners can add their own rules on top. So if it's a private G rated sim check the covenant or rules, or just err on the side of caution.

I decided to just start going to only moderate and adult sims! Will help a lot more because I'm tired of making sure my nipples don't show (Since mesh nipples seem to pop in and out) and sometimes underwear looks strange on a top that doesn't normally have underwear. They say that you can be nude on moderate sims but I wouldn't be nude unless my mesh clothes don't load to other people :P

• Like 1

In my early days of SL, there was this newbie place i hung out at a lot, I had on a dress with a fairly long skirt, below the knees, it covered me very well. Except however during one particular dance that had some pretty high kicks in it. I was just wearing the dress, nothing under it, though to be accurate i have a very basic system avi, with nothing that represented any private parts. Dispite this I got kicked out of the place because i had nothing under my dress at the time. It really depends a lot on who is watching at the time and what the happen to see. I didn't get banned, just kicked out.

8 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I was just wearing the dress, nothing under it, though to be accurate i have a very basic system avi, with nothing that represented any private parts. Dispite this I got kicked out of the place because i had nothing under my dress at the time. It really depends a lot on who is watching at the time and what the happen to see.

A good example of rules from a private land owner. And a bit concerning as someone who doesnt wear underwear ever due to lack of caring about trying to find fitting underwear.

• Like 1

Just now, Talligurl said:

I think it depends on the Sim owner, I have been on moderate land that encourages it, and others that explicitly forbid it.

1 minute ago, Talligurl said:

and never ever assume that just because an object has sex animations that the person who placed it wants you to use it.

Alright! Thank you! 

Try this.

Go to an over-populated General sim.  Watch mesh-bodied avatars rezzing.  Note that for some seconds they can appear complete nude before their mesh clothing rezzes.

I ask myself: 'if non-nudity is so important to American prudes, why doesn't LL strictly enforce the order of the rezzing of the meshes - clothes first!'?  (Ya, I know they can't, :P)

Of course what is the worse that can happen,you get banned, SL is a big world unless it is a very special sim it isn't that terrible. Not that i often will push the envelope in this matter, but SL is about living on the edge sometimes.

If you are unsure of how you're dressing in a G-rated region, imagine you are standing, walking around, bending over and sitting down in front of a group of kids..say 5 to 10 years old. That's the gauge for us. Other regions may be more or less strict. I would hope they have the courtesy to let you change and stay without the knee jerk reaction of booting you right off the bat before all your clothes are rezzed.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:19 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Hehe, yay for the Lab's alpha masking stacking bugs!

I think clothing malfunctions and bugs are always exempted from General rules.

to be fair, it's not SL's fault with the alpha layers. It's an Open GL glitch. It's the same one that, if you are using a texture on your house that has an alpha window in it, you will seem to have a tree limb from outside inside your house. The same problem shows up in any video game that uses Open GL.

On 14/11/2017 at 6:26 PM, anna2358 said:

Try this.

Go to an over-populated General sim.  Watch mesh-bodied avatars rezzing.  Note that for some seconds they can appear complete nude before their mesh clothing rezzes.

I ask myself: 'if non-nudity is so important to American prudes, why doesn't LL strictly enforce the order of the rezzing of the meshes - clothes first!'?  (Ya, I know they can't, :P)

Couldn't they though? I'm not too familiar with mesh avatars so I'm not exactly sure but isn't there some way of distinguishing a mesh body from mesh clothes other than the name? (Like how the old shapes and clothes have different icons) and if not then could they add some way of setting an object as body or clothing so that clothing can be downloaded first. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.