Return from a 2 year hiatus!

JazzKatPanda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya! I'm new, posting here for the first time as I never really got involved with Second Life communities and such. Just thought I'd post this as a friendly greeting.

Maybe post a comment and say hi to me and we can talk or something! I could probably do with a re-introduction to the game and communities to see what has and hasn't changes since my leave. :)

Anyone's welcome! I don't bite. :)

9 minutes ago, JazzKatPanda said:

re-introduction to the game

9 minutes ago, JazzKatPanda said:

the game

10 minutes ago, JazzKatPanda said:

game

Burn the heretic!

just kidding ;)

Welcome back, Jaz.  I think the biggest thing in the bast two years is the bento update but even that is still new so you can jump right in and be just as lost as everyone else :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Rhonda Huntress said:

Burn the heretic!

just kidding ;)

Welcome back, Jaz.  I think the biggest thing in the bast two years is the bento update but even that is still new so you can jump right in and be just as lost as everyone else :)

Bento update? o: 

Bento was the project name.  In a nut shell, they added new bones to the skeleton for wings, tails, fingers, and more.  Do you remember how the old neko tails were?  Simple prims with scripts to make them wag back and forth.  When mesh came out they had tails made up of 30 or so different tails all invisible but one and would rotate the texture across them.  Now you can create a mesh tail and attach it to the skeleton's tail.  Then move it by playing an animation.

Fingers can be animated individually too.  It is all still relatively new but Sign Language animations already exist.  Along with other, more common gestures ...  You could make a sci-fi gun with two triggers used by the index and middle fingers and when the gun is equiped, run an animation that only changes the hand so it holds the triggers correctly. Wings that beat with animations.  Centaurus that don't break when using standard animations because the back egs are attached to the new skeleton points instead of being the deformed feet of the standard avatar.

My favorite new bento thing is animated mesh hair. 

But like I said, it is still new and a lot of cool ideas have yet to be dreamed much less realized.

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Bento was the project name.  In a nut shell, they added new bones to the skeleton for wings, tails, fingers, and more.  Do you remember how the old neko tails were?  Simple prims with scripts to make them wag back and forth.  When mesh came out they had tails made up of 30 or so different tails all invisible but one and would rotate the texture across them.  Now you can create a mesh tail and attach it to the skeleton's tail.  Then move it by playing an animation.

Fingers can be animated individually too.  It is all still relatively new but Sign Language animations already exist.  Along with other, more common gestures ...  You could make a sci-fi gun with two triggers used by the index and middle fingers and when the gun is equiped, run an animation that only changes the hand so it holds the triggers correctly. Wings that beat with animations.  Centaurus that don't break when using standard animations because the back egs are attached to the new skeleton points instead of being the deformed feet of the standard avatar.

But like I said, it is still new and a lot of cool ideas have yet to be dreamed much less realized.

Ohhh, how interesting. The last time i played lon Second Life I owned a crappy laptop. There were rumours of a 'Second life 2' but didn't know what to think, as developers likely spent so much time and money on this that a different one would be...Negative?  I'm all for updated graphics and mechanics though. I remember how my character would look like she'd just been hit by a bus after changing to different skins and avatars. 

7 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

/me bursts into the room. "Wait.. what?!"

7 hours ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

then I second Ivanova  - WHAT? WHERE?

The first ones I saw were pony tails but I didn't like the animations and they usually included moving the hand to flip the pony tail.

I can't remember who made my favorite one (blushes) and I can't find it on MP either.  I know the style is called Breeze because it has a slight movement to it like a breeze.  Not a wind, nothing overt like that.  Just a light gentle sway in and out. I *think* it is from Excite but I'm not 100% on that.  I'll get in world tonight and let you know if someone doesn't beat me to it here.

I believe LeLutka has some bento animated hair as well but again, they wont be on MP to find them.  I heard it talked about in a fashion group but have yet top go see what is out.

Yes.  All the best parts of flexi with all the best parts of mesh.  Moves with you and sways to the environment with no clipping or 5 billion draw weight.

[eta]
I only dabble in fashion.  I'm sure @Marianne Little, @Chic Aeon or @Venus Petrov could tell us more.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 2

I use a lot of furry meshes/ outfits/ models (DON'T KILL ME. I just think the models are cool) but can't seem to find hair that fits nicely without having to actually edit the main avatar's head size and in doing that it dislocates the mesh head bones such as the jaw and makes the eyes bulge a little. But thats rigged mesh i believe. 

Un-rigged mesh is resizable right? 

Edited by JazzKatPanda

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I know the style is called Breeze because it has a slight movement to it like a breeze. 

I recently received one called Breeze - wonder if it is the same. I haven't had a chance to put it on (remember that pile of bags/boxes from me trying on hair the other night - I only got about 80% of the way through the folder).

/me makes a mental note to definitely check for this tonight.

On 8/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

eXxEsS has what they call 'Breeze' Technology

Here is one from MP - not sure how many they have:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/eXxEsS-Mesh-Hair-Senuna-A/7858729

ETA - Searching the store for 'breeze' and setting a price higher than L$1 to eliminate demos, shows 74 of them.  I'm definitely doing a demo.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

On 8/23/2017 at 10:48 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

I believe LeLutka has some bento animated hair as well but again, they wont be on MP to find them.  I heard it talked about in a fashion group but have yet top go see what is out.

I only dabble in fashion.  I'm sure @Marianne Little, @Chic Aeon or @Venus Petrov could tell us more.

Indeed, LeLutka has quite a few hairstyles under their ''Swish" label that move. As with all things, demo first :)  What I see more hair designers doing these days is incorporating a stylist HUD to enable you to change the look of the hairstyle.  Truth has several such styles and Mina has started to use them, too.  Happy hunting!

On 8/23/2017 at 11:56 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

It was either Mesh Body Addicts or Friends of Maitreya Lara.  One of the really chatty ones :)

If you have a mesh or bento head, make sure you join the requisite group (e.g., Catwa, Genesis, LeLutka) to get tips and the latest news and notices.  These groups can be very helpful with navigating the HUDs and achieving the look you want.  As with all things, demo first :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.