How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

You've never seen or heard of the movie with Orson Welles called Citizen Kane?

I've definitely heard of the movie. I may have even seen it. But if I did, I would have been around 16 or 17. No recollection.

Edited by SandorWren

12 hours ago, SandorWren said:

I've definitely heard of the movie. I may have even seen it. But if I did, I would have been around 16 or 17. No recollection.

A great film, have a look if you get a chance.

On the face of it a study of ambition, isolation, and the hollowness of material success. Innovative for its time in terms of film making and story telling - and caused a bit of a kerfuffle with Randolph Hearst who it was apparently loosely based on.

I first watched it way back at the insistance of a then girlfriend, and wasn't really expecting much - but it was supposedly a big deal so gave it a go. All was going pretty much as expected, and then unexpectedly the last word "rosebud" got me "In the feels" as kids like to say these days.

For me anyway it's just a big metaphor for regret, the film jumps back and forth and feels as if it might be Kane's dying mind joining the dots in his last seconds. He's reflecting and judging himself , as we all must do in the end. The journalist (in my take on it anyway) can also be seen as a symbolic figure from Kane's own psyche, representing ego or superego trying to make sense of it all and ultimately judging Kane in terms of right or wrong.

Ok, so a bit far off into the weeds, I watched it again with my mates - again a wee while ago - and at the end we were all rabbiting on about what it all meant, and I was getting called a bit of a muppet. Just for fun I said that if we just played Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" over the last scene it would all make sense. We did that, and now I'm known as the idiot who forever ruined Citizen Kane for that group of people :) 

So for me.

"Rosebud"

=

"
There's no time for us
There's no place for us
What is this thing that builds our dreams
Yet tips 'em 'way from us

There's no chance for us
It's all decided for us
This world has only one sweet moment
Set aside for us

"

Memento Mori people, Memento Mori....

Edited by JacksonBollock
added link to song
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Visited Sofia Gray today and we were both wearing end of summer sun dresses. The memo, we got it. 

image.thumb.png.a00125898b57678eeb6cb35ccf85d571.png

Thank you for visiting!  I am still cracking up about that... Not ready to let Summer go. ♥

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I feel like we have opened up a world of possibilities for you Sandor. 

I DO know I've seen "Battleship Potemkin" though. I didn't enjoy it. I didn't enjoy "Metropolis" either. Let's not even get into "Fantasia".

Edited by SandorWren
  • Like 1

maria-metropolis.gif.456f48fd9c071b7499ff026d4445cba4.gif

5 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

I DO know I've seen "Battleship Potemkin" though. I didn't enjoy it. I didn't enjoy "Metropolis" either. Let's not even get into "Fantasia".

Not even the dance scene in Metropolis? 🤣. Oooo ideas for my next picture

Edited by Robberinthemuseum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

maria-metropolis.gif.456f48fd9c071b7499ff026d4445cba4.gif

Not even the dance scene in Metropolis? 🤣. Oooo ideas for my next picture

It's been over 40 years since I've seen it. I only recall the robot. But that would make for a fun pic!!! Let's see!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53993549212_22fa16ec4a_b.jpg

Just a quick, unedited snap of Neph's corseted shape. 

.. Annnd just now I realise I bought an accessory recently that could probably have gone well with the look .. Hm. Back to playing dress-up I go.

• Like 16

Snapshot-121.png

There, with accessory. Feeling like a proper voivoda. I was kind of sort of trying to set up a shot with a backdrop and browsing accessories, but .. Meh. 

• Like 14