How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

Really chuffed about this picture because I finally downloaded Blackdragon and gave it a try. I've downloaded it in the past but struggled with basic things like walking lol. Findind all of the correct settings took me some time but I'm happy with the result.The pose thingy was a game changer for me. Snapshot_078.thumb.png.54a77d814db6cf57ecc150cc65cbc207.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Still going strong with the beach theme over here. Decided on a different approach to taking pictures. Feel like I am not making much progress lately so I switched up my methods.

I really like the picture was curious about what you consider to be progress. I really like the poses and the outfits 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tayt3rChip said:

I really like the picture was curious about what you consider to be progress. I really like the poses and the outfits 

I like using all manner of tools but tend to rely on them too much. Sooner or later, there's always the point where I feel like I am no longer improving and things have stagnated.

Around that time, I become really frustrated with what I have achieved. I start posting way less. In essence, usually it just means I need to stop relying on whatever latest tool I have been enjoying and then learn to do the things the tool did - but do them on my own with more control.

So while the image might not be among the best I have ever made, in terms of knowledge it's a leap forward. I learned a lot more about taking pictures in high resolution (almost all of my previous images happened at 1920 resolution because of shaders, which doesn't leave me a lot of room to make edits with).

Hard to put into words. Mostly "why are the shadows weird", "where did the depth of field go" and now I feel like I have got a whole field ahead of me again, feel like I can improve again instead of stagnating using the same tricks every time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

I like using all manner of tools but tend to rely on them too much. Sooner or later, there's always the point where I feel like I am no longer improving and things have stagnated.

Around that time, I become really frustrated with what I have achieved. I start posting way less. In essence, usually it just means I need to stop relying on whatever latest tool I have been enjoying and then learn to do the things the tool did - but do them on my own with more control.

So while the image might not be among the best I have ever made, in terms of knowledge it's a leap forward. I learned a lot more about taking pictures in high resolution (almost all of my previous images happened at 1920 resolution because of shaders, which doesn't leave me a lot of room to make edits with).

Hard to put into words. Mostly "why are the shadows weird", "where did the depth of field go" and now I feel like I have got a whole field ahead of me again, feel like I can improve again instead of stagnating using the same tricks every time.

Ok so from what I understood , learning the theory behind what a tool does and  how to achieve the desired affect without the tool is what you class as progress. I was just curious because I've really gotten into photography on SL but my learning process is basically keep moving stuff and retaking the photo until you're happy. There is literally no structure, but your response provides some insight of how I can add  more structure to my learning process. tnx

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Tayt3rChip said:

Ok so from what I understood , learning the theory behind what a tool does and  how to achieve the desired affect without the tool is what you class as progress. I was just curious because I've really gotten into photography on SL but my learning process is basically keep moving stuff and retaking the photo until you're happy. There is literally no structure, but your response provides some insight of how I can add  more structure to my learning process. tnx

I think there's post of mine floating around somewhere what I considered my major breakthroughs but to give a quick summary, I'd say these three concepts had the most impact on my results: Depth of Field / Ambient Occlusion, Rule of Thirds, Lighting (Three point and natural/world lighting).

There, found the thread: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/491017-getting-started-in-sl-photography/

Looking back at my own reply, I kind of want to facepalm. Yeah I am going through cycles, haha. Now let me ponder if that is what I understand as progress. Maybe? I mostly want to make images in a style that I enjoy. For me that's usually some fantasy kitsch that looks a bit otherworldly with a touch of surreal to them. Maybe a bit painted and overly soft. 

Sometimes I see someone else's picture and want to learn how they did it and then try to imitate until I have learned. But really, progress is a bit the juxtaposition of old and new or how reliably I can pull off a look and idea I want. There are some on Flickr I have tried to get close to in terms of skill and it still feels like a vast gulf between them and me.

• Like 4

Test shot of my take on King Lear's eldest daughter, Goneril. This isn't actually a scene from the play, but rather an attempt to capture something of her character.

Both of Lear's daughters are horrible, but Goneril is particularly monstrous. When her sister Regan suggests that they hang Gloucester for his loyalty to their father, Goneril seizes upon Gloucester's comment that he'd rather have his eyes plucked out than betray his king, and orders instead that his eyes be gouged out. And when Regan successfully vies for the attentions of Gloucester's son, Edmund, her intense sexual jealousy leads her to poison her sister.

Not a nice person.

Goneril-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.1b041bdb057e1b4ec8f3ea2971c63b64.png

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Test shot of my take on King Lear's eldest daughter, Goneril. This isn't actually a scene from the play, but rather an attempt to capture something of her character.

Both of Lear's daughters are horrible, but Goneril is particularly monstrous. When her sister Regan suggests that they hang Gloucester for his loyalty to their father, Goneril seizes upon Gloucester's comment that he'd rather have his eyes plucked out than betray his king, and orders instead that his eyes be gouged out. And when Regan successfully vies for the attentions of Gloucester's son, Edmund, her intense sexual jealousy leads her to poison her sister.

Not a nice person.

Goneril-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.1b041bdb057e1b4ec8f3ea2971c63b64.png

Please tell me this is one of those "male avatars" playing a Shakespeare role!

You did a great job with those.

I know, I know, it's just wishful thinking.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Please tell me this is one of those "male avatars" playing a Shakespeare role!

You did a great job with those.

I know, I know, it's just wishful thinking.

Thank you, but no, this is a conventional female avi. It's a LeLutka head -- I don't remember which one, offhand.

Side note: I found a place that sells beautiful "Viking" women's clothing. I think it's mostly made from commercial mesh (and in one case, Meli Imako), but the texturing is fantastic. Pricey though. I am using them as sort of "stand ins" for Saxon and, in this case, Celtic costuming, because there was lots of cross-over decoratively between those three cultures (as for instance the "Celtic knot," which appears also in Saxon and Viking decorative motifs), and the actual cut of the clothing is pretty much the same. I'm a little sorry that you can't see her dress better in this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1