How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

I've been meaning to share this pic the last few days but keep forgetting... There's a story behind this pic, one that reminded me of just how great it is to be part of Second Life.

I was hanging out near Linden Bear Island attempting to get a good pic of my Av, thinking no body else was around or knew where I was when low and behold this pic showed up in an IM from someone I don't even know. It was taken by Alyos who is French. With much thanks to google translation helping us we both shared a few minutes of chat, mainly me being shocked that a complete stranger took time to make something of my avatar and shared it with me.

Long story short, it had been a day for me and this really touched me and made me smile. Not that they took a pic of me but the fact that they used their own time to do that for a complete stranger. It reminded me of just how much I appreciate Second Life and the people in it.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 190033.jpg

• Like 16

Olivia and Viola from Twelfth Night -- How my avatar looked today, TWICE! Bonus!

As I am man,
My state is desperate for my master’s love.
As I am woman (now, alas the day!),
What thriftless sighs shall poor Olivia breathe!

I had a lot of setup for this one -- making two avis from scratch and, um, building the stage of the Globe Theatre. But it was kinda fun, and I'm reasonably pleased with the result. I think both figures look a tiny bit androgynous -- and they both look a wee bit alike ("Olivia" is almost an anagram of "Viola") without looking exactly the same.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me put these looks together!

Viola-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.e7b740265a365744cc7fb2bf12030377.png

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, Miranda Tretiak said:

I've been meaning to share this pic the last few days but keep forgetting... There's a story behind this pic, one that reminded me of just how great it is to be part of Second Life.

I was hanging out near Linden Bear Island attempting to get a good pic of my Av, thinking no body else was around or knew where I was when low and behold this pic showed up in an IM from someone I don't even know. It was taken by Alyos who is French. With much thanks to google translation helping us we both shared a few minutes of chat, mainly me being shocked that a complete stranger took time to make something of my avatar and shared it with me.

Long story short, it had been a day for me and this really touched me and made me smile. Not that they took a pic of me but the fact that they used their own time to do that for a complete stranger. It reminded me of just how much I appreciate Second Life and the people in it.

This is a really lovely story! ❤️

On two occasions that I can remember, I've had strangers snap my pic and share it with me, and I thought that was really generous of them. This is something else though!

People can be . . . nice!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Your woman is lovely, I will give you 50 herring for her!

(Or whatever Vikings used for trade.)

Not for all the herring in the Baltic (or all the 'butter in Småland', as the saying goes).

They mostly traded in goods or silver, being known to cut coins as they didn't care for the mint as much as the weight (see the coin bits at the bottom of the pic). It's also mentioned that there were cases where Vikings ransomed captured nobles for 'their weight in silver'. 

1280px-Spillings_Silver_Hoard_2_closeup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ValKalAstra said:

Looking lovely!

Thank you!

1 minute ago, ValKalAstra said:

Mind telling me which dress that is?

The dress is called Lulu, from Lunar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Miranda Tretiak said:

This is really sweet. 

Back in 2008-2009 I decided to try my hand at making guitars via prims and after making a dozen or so I gave up on the idea. I wasn't happy with how they were coming out and Blender is a bit beyond me. Fast forward to three or four years ago and during one of SL's sci-fi events I found an area dedicated to the furry rock fusion band 'Exosonic Spaceriders'. I decided to take a look at their band pics and lo and behold one of the guitarists was 'playing' my NES-controller-themed guitar. It was quite a trip seeing someone use something I'd made. I just wish I'd had a chance to be there myself. 

188933323_10209027838489414_6327679880373222661_n.jpg

Snapshot_050.png

• Like 13