Is there anyone else who feels the same as I do about having a Second Life withour mesh?

GaryPreston

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:25 PM, Monti Messmer said:

At least it makes things more complicated so i´m stuck with my system avatar.

Thinking about the tons of people with low-end PCs not able to see grass and water effects, pointless to render the spots on my avatar ... nvm.

Monti

I don't know how low end you get to not render grass and water. I have an Lenovo ideapad 310-15 kb, and it's three years old.

Even my Acer aspire v5-571 that's six years old can run SL, even if it's a bit sluggish. I keep up quite a bit draw distance on it too. Every time I hear "people can't buy new gamer machines every year" I wonder.... Isn't it an excuse to not change because people don't want to change? Don't mean to attack you personally, people in general.

I think I came to SL just at the right time. Mesh had just been implemented, but there weren’t that many people wearing it or using it, because it wasn’t very good. 

So, I had time to learn about shapes and alphas, building, etc. and learn about what mesh is and how it works. Even my newbie self knew it was a game changer. 

Sure enough, it evolved: mesh shoes to mesh hands and feet to mesh bodies and heads. All the while we started seeing better mesh clothes, houses and objects. It wasn’t that hard to see where SL was/is going.

A mesh world isn’t perfect, but resisting the changes is more than counterproductive. There are just as many jelly dolls caused by an avi wearing flexi and old unoptimized mesh as there were back in the day. There are still laggy primmy sims just like there are laggy mesh sims.

And remember when people used to Rez as Ruth or clouds? So we traded that in for watching avatars come together.

The point here is, it’s really not that different than it was 10 years ago. Appliers weren’t that different from system clothes. Mesh did get better. I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point flexi returned as flexi-mesh. Bakes on Mesh will eliminate some need for appliers.

I really don’t see the point of holding on to the way things were. SL is going to continue to change and mesh is still going to be a part of it. There’s no award for staying away from mesh or not using it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

SL is going to continue to change and mesh is still going to be a part of it. There’s no award for staying away from mesh or not using it.

That about sums it up. Things change. Forced me to come to swearing terms with Blender for one. Mesh body/head/bits well - tried them as demos as they have arrived. Even made my own (so very bad) and played with Ruth/Roth (not bad still over complex but is just me) - so far, I don't need to be erm smooth limbed and limber as it were. Each to their own. As many things in SL it means I can take what I like with me anywhere.

Only mild annoyance is noobs (used with affection as I will always be one) being told they have to go and buy mesh because...reasons. Overhear it every day. Little sad about that but hey. Your world your imagination.

Things pass though - not seen a duck lipped  invisible pony rider in months. Unless I decide to for erm fun =^^=

• Like 3

What I'd like to see is an upgrade in the 'system' avatar.  Doubters used to reply to that suggestion with: "That can't be done because then textures wouldn't fit any more.

I don't think that's the case.  If third party creators can come up with appliers that put a system texture onto a Mesh avatar, then it certainly should be possible to upgrade the system one without upsetting textures.  Further to this, LL has recently hinted that later this year they'll introduce the ability to apply system textures directly to mesh avatars without appliers.  

So wouldn't it be logical to introduce a new system avatar, keeping the same reference points for textures, but divided into more polygons?

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikka Luik said:

That about sums it up. Things change. Forced me to come to swearing terms with Blender for one. Mesh body/head/bits well - tried them as demos as they have arrived. Even made my own (so very bad) and played with Ruth/Roth (not bad still over complex but is just me) - so far, I don't need to be erm smooth limbed and limber as it were. Each to their own. As many things in SL it means I can take what I like with me anywhere.

Only mild annoyance is noobs (used with affection as I will always be one) being told they have to go and buy mesh because...reasons. Overhear it every day. Little sad about that but hey. Your world your imagination.

Things pass though - not seen a duck lipped  invisible pony rider in months. Unless I decide to for erm fun =^^=

That goes for other things as well. I see tons of bad advice given on nearly every group chat, everyday. People will fight you too, if you contradict them and the level of wrongness continues.

SL has always been a "Me too" kind of environment, can't really stop that from happening. As long as people keep asking "What should I do? What should I get? Which...is the best?" It's going to continue to be a "Me too" environment. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:15 AM, Syn Anatine said:

there's three types of hobbyists a) who simply don't realize they should optimize their mesh b) those who do but are too lazy c) those who do and start optimizing their meshes from then on (or from the start). Group c) is unfortunately small.

There's also a Group d, and these may actually the majority: those who aren't too lazy, but are too busy churning out new (high-poly) meshes at a high rate, because: L$ L$ L$.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.