Be careful of vendor scripts, ate my money and didn't register a sale

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Earlier I went to a store and bought something via right click -> pay. It ate my money and didn't deliver. Fine I went to the redelivery terminal, guess what? Nothing. Then I went on SL website to check transaction history, yup there it is, my payment.

How this happened? Because I accidentally clicked "gift" before clicking "pay", then didn't type in a name to gift to (obviously since I wasn't going to gift it). I cancelled the gifting dialogue thinking that would be fine right? Nope, it still thinks you're trying to gift someone, so when I right click -> pay, it literally sent my item to "empty name" which doesn't exist.

Is this for real? We're over 10 years in LSL scripting and they can't script a proper vendor script? I mean I'm not a computer programming major but this is just common sense, like when you go to an ATM and input something wrong, it's not supposed to eat your money and say "haha sorry try again but we're gonna just eat your money". They don't know that when you cancel a gift name input dialogue the user means she doesn't want to gift to anyone? Even if that's the case, why not refund the money if the avatar name is empty or not found? I've seen vendors refund money in sales, so yes this can be done. If try to buy a group-only product without group tag, it will refund your money. I guess whoever scripted this vendor, likely CasperVend, didn't bother scripting a refund option if something invalid happens.

So basically now I'm at the mercy of the shop creator, should she "feel like" delilvering the item I paid for. And you know how it is with a lot of creators in SL... log on maybe once in a blue moon to check money then log off, customer service? Never heard of it.

Just a warning for people shopping in places where they use vendor scripts instead of the simple right click -> buy. Don't use the stupid "buy as gift" option, if you accidentally make a typo, type wrong name, or simply leave it blank, you're screwed and won't even register on redelivery terminal. Just pay your friend the money and let her buy it herself.

Because I accidentally clicked "gift"

Sums it up

Having scripted a few charity donation boards with uber checks and trace....

And more than enough vendors....

And gift card, delivery, feedback cross grids.....

No, in all my years have never found an llProtectFromIdiots( integer FACT )

plus Fact == FART

mikka Luik wrote:

Sums it up

plus Fact == FART

Really? Accidentally cliking "gift" instead of "info" because they're so close together = idiot?

In all my years I have never found an llProtectFromMoronicTrollTryHards (integer DUH).

Let me guess, because you fail at scripting simple failsafe logic, you feel better blaming the customer? "Hur dur I dunno how to script a proper vendor that REFUNDS when something goes wrong, guess I'll just blame customer if something goes wrong cause I'm an idiot".

Next time try harder when trolling, cause you fail at it.

Seriously can't tell which one is worse, this forum or reddit. You people's logic is just baffling. I come on here warning people to be careful of the gift function in vendor scripts because it's scripted very poorly (which is your TLDR if you can't comprehend it) and get flamed, though why am I not surprised, not the first time it happened. Completely idiotic script used for vendor and I get 2 out of 3 posts blaming me for the vendor eating my money. Are you f-cking serious? Have you guys gone outside of your homes for the last 20 years? Ever heard of an ATM machine? Ever did online banking? Have you heard of something called failsafe? Ever heard of UX? If customer encounters in a bug in the system, it's supposed to simply just say "screw it"? If a customer clicks "cancel", it supposed to think it means "continue"? /triple facepalm

Really? Accidentally cliking "gift" instead of "info" because they're so close together = idiot?

In all my years I have never found an llProtectFromMoronicTrollTryHards (integer DUH).

Let me guess, because you fail at scripting simple failsafe logic, you feel better blaming the customer? "Hur dur I dunno how to script a proper vendor that REFUNDS when something goes wrong, guess I'll just blame customer if something goes wrong cause I'm an idiot".

Next time try harder when trolling, cause you fail at it.

Seriously can't tell which one is worse, this forum or reddit. You people's logic is just baffling.
I come on here warning people to be careful of the gift function in vendor scripts because it's scripted very poorly (which is your TLDR if you can't comprehend it)
 and get flamed, though why am I not surprised, not the first time it happened. Completely idiotic script used for vendor and I get 2 out of 3 posts blaming me for the vendor eating my money. Are you f-cking serious? Have you guys gone outside of your homes for the last 20 years? Ever heard of an ATM machine? Ever did online banking? Have you heard of something called failsafe? Ever heard of UX? If customer encounters in a bug in the system, it's supposed to simply just say "screw it"? If a customer clicks "cancel", it supposed to think it means "continue"? /triple facepalm

Hyperbole much?

Fact remains, the script did not fail and steal your money.  You admittedly hit the wrong button.  All you needed to do is contact the creator and have the problem cleared up.

You are blaming the vendor for your mistake of pressing the gift button, then proceed to question the scripting of a brand name that you don't even know made the vendor!  Lastly you are already dissing the creator for poor customer service before you even give them a chance.

While a few merchants don't log on much, most do unless they have RL issues.  Creating things more and more requires people to do it outside of SL.  You can't expect instant service 24/7.

A polite note to the creator will generally solve your problem. Not ranting on the forum.

When I was younger, one of my teachers liked to say this. An error exists between the computer and chair.

With that said, and without calling you a moron, I want to explain how programming works. Programs follow strict rules to decide which operation to run next. They are cold and logical, and do not care about your feelings or intentions; they only follow their direction and do so to the letter.

So when you clicked gift and entered no name, you instructed the vendor to send the item to the user by the name of [bLANK]. It did exactly what you told it to do. The script does not know that you misclicked, nor does it know what your intentions are, because those things are not included in its programming. It followed its programming and your instructions.

The next thing to understand is the person you paid probably didn't write the vendor script. They, like you, are probably not programmers, so they bought a product that someone else wrote. Even if they wanted to foolproof the script to prevent gifts from being delivered to the user [bLANK], the scripts are probably closed (no-mod) and the seller probably wouldn't know how to implement that anyways.

Yes, you are at the mercy of the seller, just as you would be at the mercy of a real life store's staff to come and open the store in order to refund something you mistakenly bought, or bought but forgot to take. Welcome to commerce. As others suggested, instead of blaming everyone else for your mistake, you would have better luck messaging the store owner and explaining the misclick. I know that if someone messaged me because of a problem using my vendor system, I would deliver the item as soon as possible because I have nothing to gain from not doing so. Also, my vendor (at least) includes a transaction history of both the buyer and the recipient, so your seller should be able to clearly see the mistake that took place once they look into it. That might take a few days or even weeksm especially because it's not the holiday season, but patience and respect are virtues you will learn as you mature.

TLDR. You made a mistake. Accept it, dust yourself off, message the seller, and wait for their reply. Understand that you may not get a reply right away or even at all (since not everyone lives in SL); that's life. It's not like you spent a fortune and are going to lose your RL house because of this.

SkillsFurrystorm wrote:

I know what you mean. While entering my password to log in today I accidentally pressed the wrong key which gave me an undesirable result. I was so angry.

DELL U SUK WE HAVE BEEN MAKING KEYBOARDS FOR A HUNDRED YEARS AND U STILL CANT GET IT RIGHT I AM GOING 2 MAKE A FORUM THREAD AND EXPOSE URE FAIL!!!!1!!

Thanks, Obama! :smileymad:

mikka Luik wrote:

Sums it up

plus Fact == FART

Then you are not a very good programmer, are you? You do seem to excel at being insulting though, which is not to your credit.

Off the top of my head, it seems to me that when the Gift button is clicked, the programme should expect a name. Then, if the Pay button is clicked but no name has been provided, the programme should see that something is wrong, and deal with it accordingly. I only have 30 years of programming experience, though, so maybe I'm too much of a beginner to appreciate the nuances of proper programming.

To everyone else

Those of you who blame the buyer are mistaken. When the script is told it's to be a gift, it should ask for a name. When no name is provided and the Pay button is clicked, it should not take any money, so please get off the buyer's back about clicking the Gift button, because it was the fault of whoever wrote the script, and not his.

Phil Deakins wrote:

[ .... ]When the script is told it's to be a gift, it should ask for a name. When no name is provided and the Pay button is clicked, it should not take any money, so please get off the buyer's back about clicking the Gift button, because it was the fault of whoever wrote the script, and not his.

As a scripter, I agree, Phil.  As a small-time merchant and SL resident, however, my point in two posts has been that the most productive way to resolve an issue like this -- and certainly the most courteous way -- is to write the merchant a polite note to report the vendor error rather than to write an irate note in a public forum. Even if you believe that a merchant is stupid or worse, it rarely hurts to make the initial assumption that it was a mistake.  Give the merchant an opportunity to save face and make an adjustment.  Flying off the handle with a scathing post that tars all merchants and their vendors with unfounded accusations is almost guaranteed to get you exactly the opposite result from what you hoped.

The point re the OPs mistake is that even if the coder of the scrpt did also make a mistake, why is it that OP forgives his own mistake yet catigates the coder or merchant for making a mistake? It's not that he made a mistake but that he is only willing to excuse his own.

All the OPs posts are pretty much like this one, I rarely bother to respond to him directly.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I completely agree, Rolig. That's why I only mentioned those who were blaming the OP because he'd pressed the Gift button.

But, if you press the wrong button, you're still initiating the mistake(s), lol.

I've done that myself, I could bame my crappy vision, lag, or me just not paying enough attention, but it still boils down to me clicking the wrong button. I've actually done it twice, lol. Contacted the merchant, had a nice chat, got it fixed immediately for one, and the next day for the other. Not a big deal :D

I didn't berate, either publicly, or in IM, the merchant though, whether or not their script(s)/vendor(s) performed to the best ability :D

Pamela Galli wrote:

The point re the OPs mistake is that even if the coder of the scrpt did also make a mistake, why is it that OP forgives his own mistake yet catigates the coder or merchant for making a mistake? It's not that he made a mistake but that he is only willing to excuse his own.

All the OPs posts are pretty much like this one, I rarely bother to respond to him directly.

I don't recognise the OP, so I don't know what posting history he has.

I don't think that the OP excused his own mistake. He said up front that he'd clicked the Gift button by mistake, and that he doesn't think that it's a valid reason for the system taking his money and not supplying anything for it. And I agree.

He could have chosen to quit the procedure and start again, just in case clicking Gift might turn out to be a problem. He ought to have done that, but the system should not rely on him doing it. It's the programmer's major error that the programme took the money without being given a name to send the gift to. It's a HUGE error. It should not rely on the user coming up with the idea to quit the procedure and start again. So, although there was a way out for the OP, I don't see it as being his fault.

Tari Landar wrote:

But, if you press the wrong button, you're still initiating the mistake(s), lol.

I've done that myself, I could bame my crappy vision, lag, or me just not paying enough attention, but it still boils down to me clicking the wrong button. I've actually done it twice, lol. Contacted the merchant, had a nice chat, got it fixed immediately for one, and the next day for the other. Not a big deal
:D

I didn't berate, either publicly, or in IM, the merchant though, whether or not their script(s)/vendor(s) performed to the best ability
:D

Yes, the user initiated the problem, but it's the programmer who is to blame. No competent programmer would leave it where the programme can take the money and supply nothing because no name was provided. The simplest thing to do, when no 'gift' name is given, is to supply the item to the one who paid the money, preferably with a message to say that, as no name was provided, we have sent it to you.

I agree with you about not publically berating someone for it but (please correct me if I'm mistaken) the OP didn't do that. There is no store or avatar mentioned in the OP's post. The post has been edited, but nobody has told him that naming and shaming is against the rules, so I assume that no name or store name was ever mentioned, and that nobody knows where the faulty system is.

Suki Hirano wrote:

Is this for real? We're over 10 years in LSL scripting and they can't script a proper vendor script?

Even if that's the case,
why not refund the money if the avatar name is empty or not found
? I've seen vendors refund money in sales, so yes this can be done.
If try to buy a group-only product without group tag, it will refund your money
. I guess whoever scripted this vendor, likely CasperVend,
didn't bother scripting a refund option if something invalid happens

Just a warning for people shopping in places where they use vendor scripts instead of the simple right click -> buy. Don't use the stupid "buy as gift" option, if you accidentally make a typo, type wrong name, or simply leave it blank, you're screwed and won't even register on redelivery terminal. Just pay your friend the money and let her buy it herself.

Who is the "they" in which the first sentence refers?

I take issue with this as a general "warning" about gifting.  I agree, it's a poorly written script, I know not all vendor scripts do this, it's a complete logic fail.  Wrong names, yes people do that because of LL's brain dead idea with display names and the confusion that causes for SL residents who seem to sometimes think that everyones display name actually has any account reference.

I also know that you have a general sentiment of negativity towards merchants.  We've all had our share of poor experiences but also understand that there are merchants who go out of their way to help and understand. 

There are merchants who don't want your money even for your mistakes, some even go so far as to automatically refund for duplicate purchases, either manually or have the vendor system automatically do it - who'd have thought?!

Equally there are some customers for whom dealing with them is a pleasurable interaction, as one would expect between friends and then there are some for whom the same cannot be said.

Suki Hirano wrote
I come on here warning people to be careful of the gift function in vendor scripts because it's scripted very poorly (which is your TLDR if you can't comprehend it)
 and get flamed, though why am I not surprised, not the first time it happened. Completely idiotic script used for vendor and I get 2 out of 3 posts blaming me for the vendor eating my money. Are you f-cking serious? Have you guys gone outside of your homes for the last 20 years? Ever heard of an ATM machine? Ever did online banking? Have you heard of something called failsafe? Ever heard of UX? If customer encounters in a bug in the system, it's supposed to simply just say "screw it"? If a customer clicks "cancel", it supposed to think it means "continue"? /triple facepalm

Actually, it's not called a "failsafe", in database terms it's an atomic transaction.  In other words, it cannot be reduced to anything less, the transaction either completes in entirety or rolls back to not having started.

There, you learn something new every day! :)

As for UX, this for me sums up everything:-

Suki Hirano wrote:

Earlier I went to a store and bought something via right click -> pay. It ate my money and didn't deliver. Fine I went to the redelivery terminal, guess what? Nothing. Then I went on SL website to check transaction history, yup there it is, my payment.

How this happened? Because I accidentally clicked "gift" before clicking "pay", then didn't type in a name to gift to (obviously since I wasn't going to gift it). I cancelled the gifting dialogue thinking that would be fine right? Nope, it still thinks you're trying to gift someone, so when I right click -> pay, it literally sent my item to "empty name" which doesn't exist.

Is this for real? We're over 10 years in LSL scripting and they can't script a proper vendor script? I mean I'm not a computer programming major but this is just common sense, like when you go to an ATM and input something wrong, it's not supposed to eat your money and say "haha sorry try again but we're gonna just eat your money". They don't know that when you cancel a gift name input dialogue the
user means she doesn't want to gift to anyone
? Even if that's the case,

So basically now I'm at the mercy of the shop creator, should she "feel like" delilvering the item I paid for. And you know how it is with a lot of creators in SL... log on maybe once in a blue moon to check money then log off, customer service? Never heard of it.

YOu are correct, the following statements are directed to the respondents to your post;

Once again, the trend is to always 'blame the user', 'blame the player' because of some lack of safety features on a UI/UX system.

No, you don't blame the user, or call them stupid. You observe what the user does when interacting with your system, and if any mistakes are found, you work to correct them immediately. Thats your job as a programmer, UI/UX designer. Test your product, your interface, fresh eyes or even get Mom to do it. For insight.

Am I stupid because I clicked "Will Not Renew" on a recent land rental, when I meant "Buy Another Month", then get an IM from the land owner wondering why I'm leaving? A distractin in RL, a finger spasm or accidental click happens.. and I was like 'oh crap, thats not what is supposed to happen". No confirm, no warning.. just click..

How about adding a failsafe, or confirm button? This is common practice in UI/UX/user form creation in programming and other courses.

"Are you sure you want to renew, NOT renew?"

"Are you sure you want to send $100 to [bLANK]? " Or "Sorry I cannot send money to [bLANK], please enter a name".

Listen to yourselves, how absurd.

With any sensitive transaction, you check and doublecheck. When you don't have these safeguards in on  your vending box, it is YOU that looks suspicious, it is YOU that looks stupid because you don't care about protecting the customer (or guiding them safely through the process).  You're only hurting yourselves when you do this.

I posted long ago in my early days clicking around in a FREEBIE store with $0L items, after about 30 or so items later, realized that some $100+L products were embedded throughout, and I had blindly paid by accident.

This goes back to trust. Stop blaming the user, and work towards protecting them (and yourself from  getting a bad reputation) by confirming sensitive or large amount purchases.

Caveat: For customers, we have to be careful too, do not assume every merchant in SL has your interests in mind. I had fun a few times in SL, paying a vending box to rent land... that I never got.

entity0x wrote:

Suki Hirano wrote:

Is this for real? We're over 10 years in LSL scripting and they can't script a proper vendor script? I mean I'm not a computer programming major but this is just common sense, like when you go to an ATM and input something wrong, it's not supposed to eat your money and say "haha sorry try again but we're gonna just eat your money". They don't know that when you cancel a gift name input dialogue the
user means she doesn't want to gift to anyone
? Even if that's the case,

YOu are correct, the following statements are directed to the respondents to your post;

Once again, the trend is to always 'blame the user', 'blame the player' because of some lack of safety features on a UI/UX system.

No, you don't blame the user, or call them stupid.
You observe what the user does when interacting with your system, and if any mistakes are found, you work to correct them immediately.
Thats your job as a programmer, UI/UX designer. Test your product, your interface, fresh eyes or even get Mom to do it. For insight.

Am I stupid because I clicked "Will Not Renew" on a recent land rental, when I meant "Buy Another Month", then get an IM from the land owner wondering why I'm leaving? A distractin in RL, a finger spasm or accidental click happens.. and I was like 'oh crap, thats not what is supposed to happen". No confirm, no warning.. just click..

How about adding a failsafe, or confirm button? This is common practice in UI/UX/user form creation in programming and other courses.

"Are you sure you want to renew, NOT renew?"

"Are you sure you want to send $100 to [bLANK]? " Or "Sorry I cannot send money to [bLANK], please enter a name".

Listen to yourselves, how absurd.

With any sensitive transaction, you check and doublecheck. When you don't have these safeguards in on  your vending box, it is YOU that looks suspicious, it is YOU that looks stupid because you don't care about protecting the customer (or guiding them safely through the process).  You're only hurting yourselves when you do this.

I posted long ago in my early days clicking around in a FREEBIE store with $0L items, after about 30 or so items later, realized that some $100+L products were embedded throughout, and I had blindly paid by accident.

This goes back to trust. Stop blaming the user, and work towards protecting them (and yourself from  getting a bad reputation) by confirming sensitive or large amount purchases.

Caveat: For customers, we have to be careful too, do not assume every merchant in SL has your interests in mind. I had fun a few times in SL, paying a vending box to rent land... that I never got.

What's absurd is expecting programmers to add an "Are you sure?" confirmation to every stupid button. For one, if you're dumb, you're gonna find a way to break it no matter what the designer does.

More importantly though, people that just want to use the product are going to go insane having to confirm every single click they make.

Gadget Portal wrote:

What's absurd is expecting programmers to add an "Are you sure?" confirmation to every stupid button. For one, if you're dumb, you're gonna find a way to break it no matter what the designer does.

Of course it would be absurd to add an "Are you sure?" confirmation to every button, but for some reason known only to you, you are shooting off on an aside by answering something that was never said.

This is about a vendor with a Gift function, taking the money for an item, after the Gift button has been clicked but no name to deliver the item to has been provided. It took the money and delivered nothing. When that occurs - gift clicked but no name given - the vendor really should not take the money. It could ask for confirmation since there seems to be a error (which you seem to be against), or it could provide an explanatory message and not take the money. Whatever it does or doesn't do, it most definitely should not take the money without delivering the item to somebody.

In the thread, some people have said two main things. (1) It's the OP's fault for clicking the Gift button, and (2) the OP should not have come here to vent without first trying to resolve the situation with the merchant. Both views are wrong.

(1) It's the fault of the script's programmer for not covering such a circumstance. Any programmer beyond beginner level would have covered it.

(2) The OP didn't name a store or an avatar, so there was no accusation. In fact, it may well have done some good because those who read it may remember in the future if they happen to click a Gift button by mistake.

Regardless of whether or not the merchant eventually provided the item to the OP, the OP posted to provide a warning about vendors and Gift button mistakes. The problem may be unique to a particular store or the faulty script may be common in vendors, so the OP's warning benefits everyone here. His objective has been fulfilled to the possible future benefit of all who read it. The OP did everyone here a favour.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Of course it would be absurd to add an "Are you sure?" confirmation to every button, but you're
grossly
exaggerating things.

This is about a vendor with a Gift function, taking the money for an item, after the Gift button has been clicked but no name to deliver the item to has been provided. It took the money and delivered nothing. When that occurs - gift clicked but no name given - the vendor really should not take the money. It could ask for confirmation since there seems to be a error (which you seem to be against), or it could provide an explanatory message and not take the money. Whatever it does or doesn't do, it most definitely should not take the money without delivering the item to somebody.

In the thread, some people have said two main things. (1) It's the OP's fault for clicking the Gift button, and (2) the OP should not have come here to vent without first trying to resolve the situation with the merchant. Both views are wrong. (1) It's the fault of the script's programmer for not covering such a circumstance. Any programmer beyond beginner level would have covered it. (2) The OP didn't name a store or an avatar, so there was no accusation. In fact, it may well have done some good because those who read it may remember in the future if they happen to click a Gift button by mistake. Regardless of whether or not the merchant eventually provided the item to the OP, the OP posted to provide a "warning" about vendors and Gift button mistakes. The problem may be unique to a particular store or the faulty script may be common in vendors, so the OP's warning benefits everyone here. His objective has been fulfilled to the possible future benefit of all who read it. The OP did everyone a favour.

I'm not exaggerating anything. The post I replied to added land renewals, freebies, and more to the list. Pretty soon we'd have to have confirmations on everything.

As for gifting a blank name, the scripter there should have at least had it check to make sure it could actually find said name before proceeding, no confirmation needed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.