Share items with friends, how?

Plex01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wanted to gift an item to a friend but I accidently bought it for myself.
Now I have it duplicated in my Received items, how can I share one of them to my friend?
When I rightclick the folder and share it says I have no permission to do so.
when I righclick the box thats in the folder share is greyed out.

What do I do?

this is the item btw: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avali-Avatar-40-Starbound/5903807

If you bought one for yourself and then accidentally bought a second one instead of gifting it, you could try contacting the store owner to get a refund for the second one. Ergo, why would someone buy a no transfer avatar twice for themselves? If this is a recent purchase the store owner will see two purchases by you. 

Just be polite when you contact them.

I hope you get it sorted out. Bree's suggestion about contacting the seller is the only choice you have, and it's a very good suggestion.

The silver lining to it is that you've learned the hard way that you need to check an item's permission before you buy it. In this particular case, the page you linked to clearly states that it's no transfer.

ETA: Yes, IM them but check their profile first. It may request that you only send a notecard.

Hi Plex.

Buying the same item a second time if there are problems with the first purchase is called "throwing good money after bad."  Don't do that!  First, find out what the problem is!

You need to pay attention to the permissions on an item, especially if you want to give it as a gift.  No Transfer items can NOT be transfered, sold, or given to another person in any way.

So, what do you do to give something like that as a gift?  There are two ways.  If it's available on the Marketplace, there is a "Buy as Gift" purchase option, right there next to "Buy Now" or "Add to Cart."  Be sure to use the recipient's USER NAME, not their Display Name, or you could wind up sending it to the wrong person.

If the item is from a store in world, some stores have vendors with a "buy as gift" option.  If the store does not have vendors like that, send an IM or a notecard to the store owner and tell them you would like to buy XYZ thing as a gift for your friend.  Include their user name in your message!  And pay the store owner directly for the item.

Two more things to be careful of when sending items as gifts: Be sure your intended recipient is not in Busy (Unavailable) mode.  If they are, the delivery will be automatically refused and the item will be lost in cyberspace.  It is also a good idea to IM your recipient and let them know you are sending them a gift.  Some people will automatically delete things that they receive unexpectedly, from a person they don't know.

When contacting a store owner about a problem, there are two ways.  You can send them an IM.  However, many store owners get a LOT of IMs and if they are offline, their messages may be "capped" and they won't get yours.  Check the store owner's profile; many of them ask you to send them a notecard instead.  To do that, right click in your Inventory window and choose New Note.  Type your message.  Hit Save.  Rename the note, so your inventory doesn't fill up with items all called New Note.  Drag and drop the notecard onto the person's profile picture, or into an open IM window with them.

Plex01 wrote:

Is the only way to contact them via IM or how should I do that?

So IM them.  Some store owners have their IM's go to email so they receive them all and prefer IM's to notecards.  Go by what their profile says is their preferred method of contact.  When you do IM them be sure to provide the transaction history from MP or your dashboard transaction record if you bought the item in world for both purchases to show that you bought a duplicate.  If you can't provide a transaction history for the one you bought for yourself, at least give the approximate date of purchase and where you bought it.

Be patient.  Remember store owner's have RL's too and may not be available to immediately respond.

Also note that while Bree's idea is a good one, some store owner's have a policy that a double purchase of a no transfer item must be made around the same time and/or require a transaction history record for both purchases.  So if you bought yours a while ago they may not refund your money. 

I do hope you are able to get this straightened out but remember store owner's have no obligation to refund money due to your mistake.

• 3 years later...
On 11/13/2016 at 6:02 PM, Plex01 said:

Now I have it duplicated in my Received items, how can I share one of them to my friend?

What do I do?

this is the item btw: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avali-Avatar-40-Starbound/5903807

I guess you can just right click it in inventory , click share and select the contact!tell me if it worked!

On 11/13/2016 at 9:32 AM, Plex01 said:

What do I do?

Yep they tried the transfer thing 4 years ago.

Now kindly return my shovel you used to dig up this old thread.

26 minutes ago, Vinetor said:

Sure whatever,you know any other way?

If the item is no transfer, then it cannot be shared.

Furthermore the OP said years ago:

On 11/13/2016 at 3:32 PM, Plex01 said:

in the original post no less.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.