Projector lights

Grid Strom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I'm missing the point, then.   Do you mean something like a particle profile projector, or something made with semi-transparent cone coming out of it to simulate a beam of light coming out of a projector (like some lighthouses have) or is it something different?

With deferred rendering there is an extension to local lights, they can project textures onto surfaces. You can read a little bit about it here on the wiki.

• 9 years later...

Bumping this because it is 2020 and I'd like to know if Linden Lab has by now implemented a prim parameter for setting the Prim light projector image. I'm guessing by the looks of the wiki, they still haven't implemented anything but I just thought I'd ask because it would be really amazing if they did and just forgot to update the wiki. 😅

• Like 1

No, I don't, I have no other way of accessing past postings than the search. However, you could try searching for "projector" or "texture", since the item in question is the texture that can be assigned to the light on the particular build tab.

Try This thread

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
Searching revealed, as it often does, the thread in question other than this particular one

6 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Thank you Profaitchikenz. That thread wasn't coming up for me in search no matter what I searched for ("projector", "projection", "projected", "projection texture"), so I really appreciate you linking it. This Jira request therein certainly makes me hopeful. ☺️  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-6961 Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

And note Rider's less than encouraging comment about how likely it is to be changed soon.

As in "Soon ©®[tm]" ! 😄

One way to change projected light texture is to use multiple prims and move and hide them behind the active prim. Or rather the only way, as how PRIM_POINT LIGHT is implemented.

Edited by Rachel1206

23 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

As in "Soon ©®[tm]" ! 😄

One way to change projected light texture is to use multiple prims and move and hide them behind the active prim. Or rather the only way, as how PRIM_POINT LIGHT is implemented.

Downside to this is that if you don't have Advanced Lighting Model enabled, you just see multiple stacked point lights, which are proportionally brighter and probably ruining the immediate surroundings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

I don't think I understand this. Why not keep all the alternate-texture emitters at the same position and orientation, and just toggle PRIM_POINT_LIGHT so only one of them is TRUE at the same time?

(It's still a kludge, can't handle a new projected texture, and even marginally laggier than doing this properly as requested in the jira, but desperate times, etc.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't think I understand this. Why not keep all the alternate-texture emitters at the same position and orientation, and just toggle PRIM_POINT_LIGHT so only one of them is TRUE at the same time?

(It's still a kludge, can't handle a new projected texture, and even marginally laggier than doing this properly as requested in the jira, but desperate times, etc.)

I observed, this could lead to a distortion of the light, but could have been my setup in world causing it. But why I swapped their positions like stacked cards. We are only talking 4 small phantom prims and it solved the problem with projected light and using different textures, while we wait for the update of prim params...

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.