So is this Q&A or General Discussion

Sy Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

More annoyingly, there are posts where someone asks a question then goes on to act negatively, even abusively, when a reply is other than a straight answer. Far too many cries of "I didn't ask your opinion, I asked for help" and " if you are not interested in being part of the research, you are free to not respond".

Excuse me. If you don't want it discussed, don't bring it to the Discussion forum.

Kelli May wrote:

More annoyingly, there are posts where someone asks a question then goes on to act negatively, even abusively, when a reply is other than a straight answer. Far too many cries of "I didn't ask your opinion, I asked for help" and " if you are not interested in being part of the research, you are free to not respond".

Excuse me. If you don't want it discussed, don't bring it to the Discussion forum.

I like those posts.  They are potential derail goldmines.

sirhc DeSantis wrote:

With sub 'Second Life discussions'

Yeah, seems pretty much self explanatory. For more general roving/rambling vaguely related stuff head over the road.

That simply states that SL discussion are welcome, not that non-SL discussions aren't.  When this forum was created, Amanda, the Community Manager at the time, was asked if non-SL related discussions were allowed here and she said they were; to my knowledge, no one at LL has ever stated anything to the contrary.

...Dres

sirhc DeSantis wrote:

Yeah, seems pretty much self explanatory. For more general roving/rambling vaguely related stuff head over the road.

Over the road to where? What road? Is it the one the chicken crossed? So many questions.. Crap, i should have posted this in the Answers section.

Kelli May wrote:

Nothing annoys me more than seeing people being abused because they attempted to help some jerk who didn't like the information or advice he received.

Sounds entirely RICable, doesn't seem to have any value here and can't imagine there's much sanity involved in 'discussing'.

My approach to this thread: Been careful to avoid providing useful help in GD since I've heard this being a thing. Mostly.

If there's a bettter solution I'm paying attention, but largely got nothing to add. GD is as GD does.

It's a subject very much discussed in the medical community, and there are many people here on Second Life who are medical practicioners.  I was just relating to the assumption some people may have to this being an open speech envioronment, it is not.  General Discussion apparently means ONLY Second Life related topics.

Afrodisiax wrote:

Sounds
entirely
RICable, doesn't seem to have any value here and can't imagine there's much sanity involved in 'discussing'.

My approach to this thread:
Been careful to avoid providing useful help in GD since I've heard this being a thing. Mostly.

If there's a bettter solution I'm paying attention, but largely got nothing to add. GD is as GD does.

It's a subject very much discussed in the medical community, and there are many people here on Second Life who are medical practicioners.  I was just relating to the assumption some people may have to this being an open speech envioronment, it is not.  General Discussion apparently means ONLY Second Life related topics.

Let me put it a different way: no one has that assumption, or at least not for long.

Dresden wrote:

sirhc DeSantis wrote:

That simply states that SL discussion are
welcome
, not that non-SL discussions aren't.  When this forum was created, Amanda, the Community Manager at the time, was asked if non-SL related discussions were allowed here and she said they were; to my knowledge, no one at LL has ever stated anything to the contrary.

...Dres

When this subforum was created, it was explicit in welcoming discussions from any source, RL or SL. It was explicit in that little highlighted bit.  RL has since been removed.  Why?  Rhetorical.

In the old days, the RL discussions did present opportunities for people to demand acknowledgement of their rights to speak freely but at the same time scream pleas to have their sensitivities protected from the opinions of others...failure to comply brought about the grim RIC'er. There was a great deal of comedy gold derived in those days.  After a while though, it became a bore reading pretty much the same person claim they were mauled by a rabid schitzophrenic gun toting imaginary clown named Sybil. If you had the audacity to call BS on such tales of woe, you got the verbal beat down from the crowd that chooses to believe that everyone tells the truth when posting on the interwebs and to espouse disbelief of their story was synonmous with full blown discrimination and the belittling of womans issues. Ultimately it was determined your disbelief supported a rape culture and that you were almost solely responsible for the decline and fall of western civilization.  It was a much better boring than the current boring though.  It is more exciting these days to read the responses to PG's four star ratings on the marketplace reviews.

I sure miss the old days :)

Venus Petrov wrote:

Haha!  Ima, I don't know who or what you're talking about. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

P.S. I cannot seem to get to your link on your sig line.  Have you dumped your blog?

Ha!

I think the link was to my old forum, which I did eventually dump.  My poor neglected blog is still there. 

2 things that I think changed the dynamic of the previous GD are the format of it, the topics got very scattered in sub sections, "relationships", "games", "fashion", "make friends", before many topics got together in one single place, if somebody wanted to talk about fashion, people that were interested in SL games saw it too, the threads were appearing noticeably faster, it was harder to keep up with all that was happening in the forums, all people of many interests concentrated in a single place. since people with specific interest went to the sub forum they got attracted more to, visually, it looked like the new posts were slowing down.

another thing is the format of the posts, before, we saw them in a tree structure, i recognize the inconvenience we had that when there were too many answers we saw the letters of the post going vertically on the edge of the screen, but it was easier to follow the different branches of the conversation, a new derail could be followed in one of the branches, a post could have more than 3 answers coming from it and make different topics from those new branches. from a single post many could be born.

I don't know if its a good idea to have so many subforums, it makes is easier to find like minded people, without having to interact with people outside those interests, but it makes separations, if they would give us the chance to see the posts here in tree format, I would take it right away, forgiving the inconveniences of it.

another thing, I think that many of us agree in many things about SL, like that land owners can ban people for no reason, that lag is bad, that people are still going to buy non mesh things and mesh looks great, after so many back and forth between all, from different backgrounds, we got to a common knowledge that we all agree, if we could bring RL topics here we would find more controversial topics, like the role of America in the world, religion, the worth of capitalism, and natural disasters happening around the world.

• 3 weeks later...

I went back and read this entire thread. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter, as this is a discussion right? :)

As a long time gamer, I've been a part of many online forums. I can safely say that the default for questions is usually in the general section. For one, some games have a new player section but many do not. For another, when you want a fast answer you tend to want to post in the most popular section. I'm not saying that is a reason to do it. I'm just sharing what might go through someone's mind. The answer section on this forum is actually not something I've come across for most games. Yes, a couple, but they are the minority.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.