User owned experienced forced on us by Linden Lab? WTF?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I've found a solution for you both Prokovy and SosiaalinenKokeilu. Since the experience will only work over firestorm land and you both do not want to be forced into the experience I've found the perfect solution. I have  added both your names to the ban list from all estates, therefor you will never have to worry about the experience abusing you.

I hope that resolves this matter sufficientlly for you both, and if there is anyone else concerned about us abusing you on our land please let me know before you come to our land.

Have a great day everyone!

Jessica Lyon
Project Manager
The Phoenix Firestorm Project, Inc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

That makes sense.

I've never experienced an experience

Not even a Jimmy Hendricks experience?

I was a few weeks old when Jimi left the building, so I missed the opportunity to experience the full experience.

I have, however, enjoyed Jimi indirectly over the years since...

Thanks, Whirly. That makes perfect sense.

(I'd somehow understood Jessica's earlier reference to RegAPI as being something that would be used in place of what we know as Experiences, not appreciating its role in activating an Experience for its new users.)

I'm kind of interested in these Community Gateways because there's prospect of Bay City being involved with one, which is why I particularly wanted to understand what was going on.

Jessica Lyon wrote:

Ok, I've found a solution for you both Prokovy and SosiaalinenKokeilu. Since the experience will only work over firestorm land and you both do not want to be forced into the experience I've found the perfect solution. I have  added both your names to the ban list from all estates, therefor you will never have to worry about the experience abusing you.

I hope that resolves this matter sufficientlly for you both, and if there is anyone else concerned about us abusing you on our land please let me know before you come to our land.

Have a great day everyone!

Jessica Lyon

Project Manager

The Phoenix Firestorm Project, Inc

Jessica Lyon drops mic, leaves stage.

/me applauds.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

I fully support the OP's concerns, and Emerald/Phoenix/Firestorm continues with the same duplicity it has for years.

There was one right answer in this interchange: "Yes, you're right, we should change to opt-in instead of opt-out." 

Blather about REG API's doesn't cut it.

This is all you need to know as to why you should not be using Firestorm as a viewer.

Perhaps you missed what Whirly Fizzle posted (8 posts before yours):

"

It has nothing to do with Firestorm viewer as such so it doesn't belong in the 4.7.7 release notes. There is no magic in the Firestorm viewer code that  forces anyone into the Firestorm gateway experience.

No matter which viewer you are on, if you go to one of the Firestorm regions you will have the "Experience Firestorm" enabled.

The magic is all LL magic in the way that experience is configured.

"

This is something being done for the new gateways. It has nothing to do with the viewer.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

SosiaalinenKokeilu wrote:

Just forcing people into experiences without their consent, and giving them no way to leave them.

Hmm...   Using the Firestorm viewer is an
option.  

Problem solved.    ; )

*chuckling*

*waves*

Using Second Life at all is, I believe, an  option. I dunno about other operating systems but on my Windows PC I can always click on the red box with the big 'X' in the upper right and be gone.

I have only experienced one 'experience' in SL and it was in a shop that had been redesigned to make finding things easier.  It worked really well.  P.S. I have been a FS user since it first appeared after the Emerald fiasco (which I also used to use).  I can say that the FS team is uber customer focused and helpful - an all-around great group of peeps.

I am a "noob" so not sure my opinion means much but I was having the same thought as I read through this thread.. If firestorm is so evil why did you not just quit using the browser... Sounds to me like there trying to help build your community by helping us bumbling noobs figure things out before giving up and leaving.. Any way just my 0.02L

I think it's actually an advantage to be a "noob" in this case because then the whole "Experience" thing is no more exotic than all the rest of Second Life. For those who have been around a while, these "Experiences" are not entirely intuitive, and people have justifiable suspicion about what they might do and how they might behave -- although in some ways, they're the safest permissions anyone can grant because, with these rare exceptions, those permissions can be revoked at any time.

(I should also clarify that my earlier confusion in this thread stemmed from not remembering that I'd had to explicitly approve the Cornfield experience. I must have done it reflexively. So I'd thought it had all the qualities needed for a Gateway experience, including auto-acceptance, but it doesn't. Thanks to Innula for patiently helping me work through my confusion.)

Its not just Firestorm islands that do this.

As a result of this conversation I decided to see what experiences I had enabled.

Turns out I had "Social Island" enabled, and it too cannot be disabled. I presume for the same reasons - it is likely a workaround until the regapi thingy is fixed. I have it enabled because I went to the social island and other newbie spots that I could reach a few months back to update my blog.

And... actually the Firestorm staffer's explaination of all this in this forum makes perfect sense (now that I've read the whole thread).

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.