Conspiracy Theory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't you think it odd that Ebbe just announced the creation of (for lack of a better term) SL2 and would keep SL1 running as long as it was profitable...then a few days later, LL announces their new Skilled Games Policy???

Hmmm...Run all the Skilled Games out of SL...no longer profitable....easier to pull everyone into SL2???

(I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here..I don't think it's really what they intended, but it's a funny coincidence, isn't it??)

:matte-motes-evil: :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I don't see the connection. If LL wanted to push residents away from "old"SL with those new rules, the timing is very bad...and I am sure, they know better than to do so.

Same  as when they made the new rule about limits of exchanging Lindens to real money...Was it not worse than this new rule? - and everybody survived, after all, after some time to get used to the new conditions  :)

I think it's partly a case of doing something that should have been done long ago -- that is, getting rid of the thinly-disguised  gambling games that masquerade as "games of skill"  -- and partly starting to develop a market for genuine "pay to play" experiences that offer rewards for genuine skill, and which may well be an important aspect of SL 2.

Muletta wrote:

I don't see the connection. If LL wanted to push residents away from "old"SL with those new rules, the timing is very bad...and I am sure, they know better than to do so.

Same  as when they made the new rule about limits of exchanging Lindens to real money...Was it not worse than this new rule? - and everybody survived, after all, after some time to get used to the new conditions  
:)

Were you replying to me or to Tex??

Because me and you pretty much said the same thing:smileyhappy:

Ren Toxx wrote:

Tex Monday wrote: [...] 
easier to pull everyone into SL2??? [...]

Depends. How do we log into SL2?

You run the viewer designed for that next generation platform. In the login screen enter your current avatar name, enter password and there you are.

So it's just the same way as login into present SL. Only the viewer will be different for the new platform.

You avatar name will be the same in both worlds.

The new policy is probably also a way to answer players' complaints of the "clubs" for lack of a better name that have all these machines on mainland or homesteads that lag out or hog the resources of the sim they are in. It's sad when a player that pays for land can't get to their home because it's full from players in the "club." Moving them to designated sims for gaming will actually make the experience better for the rest of us by moving them out of residential areas.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Noes, rest assured LL will wring every penny out of SL for as long as they possibly can. Instead, think of SL2 as some brainwave's idea at the lab to make even more money by running two SL's, in effect.

Is there something wrong with them making money?

Tex Monday wrote:

Don't you think it odd that Ebbe just announced the creation of (for lack of a better term) SL2 and would keep SL1 running as long as it was profitable...then a few days later, LL announces their new Skilled Games Policy???

Hmmm...Run all the Skilled Games out of SL...no longer profitable....easier to pull everyone into SL2???

(I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here..I don't think it's really what they intended, but it's a funny coincidence, isn't it??)

No

I think LL was getting pressure from the goverment over gambling, as some games not really being skill games, and  from countries and states that don't by law even allow skill gaming.  They are covering their asses from potential liability and costly legal fees.  SL could even be shut down if not in compliance with the law and I don't think anyone would like that.

No, I don't see a conspiracy here at all. There was a law passed on internet gambling and I'm guessing that SL2 is a way around the problem. And yes, it's bad when you try to go to your home on some part of the mainland or whereever and are denied access because there are too many people in the sim playing the games, hoggin' everything and making (second) life miserable for others who don't play the games.

But hey, that's my two-cents (or Federation credits) and I could be wrong....and I admit it.....:smileytongue:

Commander Arielle Riker

(Arielle6768)

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

The new policy is probably also a way to answer players' complaints of the "clubs" for lack of a better name that have all these machines on mainland or homesteads that lag out or hog the resources of the sim they are in. It's sad when a player that pays for land can't get to their home because it's full from players in the "club." Moving them to designated sims for gaming will actually make the experience better for the rest of us by moving them out of residential areas.

Ah yes Bobbie,  good thought and maybe SL2  or  'next generation platform' will fund our place instead, so we keep alive.

Tex Monday wrote:

Nope :) LL positively needs as many SL1 users as they can get when SL2 launches. They want the bulk of the population to go straight over. Driving people away from SL1 so far in advance would be counterproductive.

I'm thinking that, since LL has had little success at stopping some forms of gambling in SL, not because some forms aren't against the rules, but because they don't get around to dealing with them (I'm thinking of such things as sploders), they came up with a licensing thing, by which they can make some money which will pay for the time spend on dealing with it.

Someone else is thinking that maybe they are getting it sorted in SL1, in readiness for SL2.

Other suggest that officialdom is making them tighten up their act on gambling.

Officaldom may the favourite.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

As for the best term to use for the new platform I think it's better to use some thing like "next generation platform." SL2 sounds more like just an updated version, and from what we know it not going to be just an update.   

I think SL2 will be "just an updated version" of SL1. Majorly updated, of course, and with some major changes, but still Second Life as we know it - land, sea, user creations, etc etc.

My best guess is that SL2 will be SL, using newer technologies, and major changes that SL1 could do with but would be too convoluted to do. In other words, recreating Second Life from scratch, with valuable the hindsight of SL1, and including new stuff, changing stuff, and so on. 'SL2' perfectly fits what I guess it will be :)

Imagine SL suddenly got oculus rift capability, land prices havled, taxes on everything sold, revamped building tools, etc. Major changes. If they did that to SL, it would still be SL. That's the sort of thing I'm thinking SL2 will be.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

As for the best term to use for the new platform I think it's better to use some thing like "next generation platform." SL2 sounds more like just an updated version, and from what we know it not going to be just an update.   

I think SL2 will be "just an updated version" of SL1.
Majorly
updated, of course, and with some major changes, but still Second Life as we know it - land, sea, user creations, etc etc.

My best guess is that SL2 will be SL, using newer technologies, and major changes that SL1 could do with but would be too convoluted to do. In other words, recreating Second Life from scratch, with valuable the hindsight of SL1, and including new stuff, changing stuff, and so on. 'SL2' perfectly fits what I guess it will be

Imagine SL suddenly got oculus rift capability, land prices havled, taxes on everything sold, revamped building tools, etc. Major changes. If they did that to SL, it would still be SL. That's the sort of thing I'm thinking SL2 will be.

SL is not the only world  with Land and sea and user content creation though.

It's just the biggest one..

Look for it to be a lot more user friendly.

I'm thinking they are really going to be concentrating on making it less of a headache to get started so they can keep a lot more of the people that just walk away in the first day..

How many animations and huds or whatever else would need just to mock what is being done in this clip in a simple interaction?

A lof of the things we don't take for granted right now ,will more than likely be what is taken for granted in The New World.

Remember that old video called The world builder?

Imagine throwing out cubes or shapes how he did. moving things on the screen with your hands or sizing and working with them as if they were right in the room with you..

It's gonna be cool and it's gonna be new more than it is something that is just imporved.

Imagine throwing out cubes or shapes how he did. moving things on the screen with your hands or sizing and working with them as if they were right in the room with you..

That would be fun, building and moving with the hands...and suddenly I have to scratch my nose, and the entire building falls apart on the screen... :matte-motes-grin: 

Muletta wrote:

That would be fun, building and moving with the hands...and suddenly I have to scratch my nose, and the entire building falls apart on the screen... :matte-motes-grin: 

actually if others were around,they would just see you scratching your nose :smileyhappy: hehehehe

But all of those things can be improvements done in SL, and we wouldn't think of the result as anything other than SL.

Think of a virtual world with realistic looking clouds instead of a fog. Think of a world where you can import your own meshes instead of being stuck with just the standard prims. Think of a world where you can import your own materials. You might have said those things before SL had them. SL has them now but we still see it as SL. All of the things you mentioned could be added to SL and it would still be SL.

So my guess is that LL is creating a new system from the ground up that will include stuff like that, and my guess is that they are doing it from the ground up because it's much easier than trying to incorporate them into the SL system. What they're making is the next generation SL-type platform - generation 2 - SL2 or SL2G. It'll still be a 'second life' as distinct from the first life (RL). It may even be that we run sims and regions on our own computers that are linked via the system. If they changed SL to do that, we'd still think of it a massively improved SL. Something as drastic as that might attract the name SL2, but still SL.

What's the word used for mobile (cell) phones? Generation, isn't it? Great advances have been made through the years and they call them by number - 3G, 4G and 5G - 3rd generation, 4th generation and 5th generation.

Phil Deakins wrote:

But all of those things can be improvements done in SL, and we wouldn't think of the result as anything other than SL.

Think of a virtual world with realistic looking clouds instead of a fog. Think of a world where you can import your own meshes instead of being stuck with just the standard prims. Think of a world where you can import your own materials. You might have said those things before SL had them. SL has them now but we still see it as SL. All of the things you mentioned could be added to SL and it would still be SL.

So my guess is that LL is creating a new system from the ground up that will include stuff like that, and my guess is that they are doing it from the ground up because it's much easier than trying to incorporate them into the SL system. What they're making is the next generation SL-type platform - generation 2 - SL2 or SL2G. It'll still be a 'second life' as distinct from the first life (RL). It may even be that we run sims and regions on our own computers that are linked via the system. If they changed SL to do that, we'd still think of it a massively improved SL. Something as drastic as that might attract the name SL2, but still SL.

What's the word used for mobile (cell) phones? Generation, isn't it? Great advances have been made through the years and they call them by number - 3G, 4G and 5G - 3rd generation, 4th generation and 5th generation.

Sometimes companies have versions  or generations.

Sometimes they have more than one product..

Now if LL puts out another product of a virtual world,why in the world would they call it the same name of an already existing product?

Knowing the history of second life,If you were investing money into a new product,would you name it after second life or would you name it something new?

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Now if LL puts out another product of a virtual world,why in the world would they call it the same name of an already existing product?

Knowing the history of second life,If you were investing money into a new product,would you name it after second life or would you name it something new?

From what I've gathered, LL isn't putting out another product in the way that I think you mean. If a car maker then produces a motorbyke or a refrigerator, the byke or the fridge would ne other products. But when a car maker puts out a new version of their car, it isn't another product in the way that I think you mean. It's a different version of the car.. I.e. it does the same thing as the first car. It may better in some environments, and have more features than the previous car, but it's a still a car.

My impression is this:- LL is producing a new virtual world, in which users create the content. It will be better in some ways that SL. It may have more features and it may have some comparitively dramatic features, but it'll still be a virtual word in which users create the content. If it were a car, it might be given a different name (they do give different models different names) but it's not a car. The name Second Life is both a name and a description, and the next platform will be decribeable by that description if LL chooses to use it. They probably won't. In the meantime, since it will a second life system, we can refer to it as Second Life 2, or SL2. We all know what that means by now, anyway.

If by "another product" you mean that it's LL's desire to run both, then I disagree. I don't think for a moment that LL intends running both simultaneously and as soon as they can shut SL1 down, without causing too much user flack, they'll do it. It's their intention. So it's not another product to run alongside the orginal product (like car makers do). It's another product to replace the original one.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

From what I've gathered, LL isn't putting out another product in the way that I think you mean. If a car maker then produces a motorbyke or a refrigerator, the byke or the fridge would ne other products. But when a car maker puts out a new version of their car, it isn't another product in the way that I think you mean. It's a different version of the car.. I.e. it does the same thing as the first car. It may better in some environments, and have more features than the previous car, but it's a still a car.

My impression is this:- LL is producing a new virtual world, in which users create the content. It will be better in some ways that SL. It may have more features and it may have some comparitively dramatic features, but it'll still be a virtual word in which users create the content. If it were a car, it might be given a different name (they do give different models different names) but it's not a car. The name Second Life is both a name and a description, and the next platform will be decribeable by that description if LL chooses to use it. They probably won't. In the meantime, since it will a second life system, we can refer to it as Second Life 2, or SL2. We all know what that means by now, anyway.

If by "another product" you mean that it's LL's desire to run both, then I disagree. I don't think for a moment that LL intends running both simultaneously and as soon as they can shut SL1 down, without causing too much user flack, they'll do it. It's their intention. So it's not another product to run alongside the orginal product (like car makers do). It's another product to replace the original one.

Omg call it what you like lol i don't care,just don't be disapointed when they ditch the second life name down the road..:smileywink:

If we were talking icecream  right now,you would be calling strawberry, chocolate2  hehehe:smileytongue:

Phil Deakins wrote:

hehe. Yes, they may well ditch the Second Life name for it. They probably will. But we don't have any indication of a name yet, so SL2 suits me

I really  like chocolate2 now that i've said it  like  five or six times. hehehehe

It's kina funkehh  :matte-motes-evil-invert:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.