SL2 and potential losses - the facts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most people whose opinions I've read are looking forward to SL2, but there are some who are against LL developing it because they believe that it will mean the end for SL. There are others who would be in favour of LL developing it IF they could take all their stuff with them. On the whole, I think the concensus is positive about LL doing it. This post is aimed at those who have a negative view.

LL *has* to do it. If they don't, sooner or later someone else will, and that's a gimme. Whoever does it, when it happens the SL population will flock to it because it will so much better. Some people will stay in SL, of course, but most of those will end up at the other place because not many people will be left here. And LL, and SL, will fade out. That's why LL has to be the company that produces the next generation.

I've never seen anyone post that other companies shouldn't produce a better place than SL. What I have seen is this population always checking out other places that come along to see if it's better, and with a view to going there if it is. It always happens when something new pops up. So why are some people so against LL doing it? It doesn't make any sense.

If another company did it, we'd go to it, and we wouldn't be able to take our stuff with us. On the whole, the SL population has not put so much money into SL that they can't write it off. The money they've put in has been used in enjoyment of SL through the years. On the whole, the SL population will be perfectly happy to go to a much better place, without taking their stuff with them, and continue putting money in for their enjoyment through the years to come, just as they would have put it into SL.

There are a few people who have put a *lot* of money into SL - large land owners. Those who own plenty of sims paid for them up front. Those people may well be loathe to walk away and set up in another place. However, those few have already made plenty of money from the sims they bought, so what they put in wasn't wasted at all. They're in good profit and are able to walk away with money in the bank.

Quite a few people own just one or two sims that may never have been intended to make a profit. By the time that something better appears, they will have had their enjoyment of the sims for their money, so there shouldn't be any problem in walking away.

Most of the money put in for land is in the form of tier, but tier isn't an issue for anyone. Tier is charged monthly and everyone who pays it gets a full month of the land. So tier will never be lost when something new comes along.

Many people have spent a lot of money on 'stuff' - probably mostly on clothes. When they spend, they spend it to enjoy the new thing now. When a much better new place opens, they will have had plenty of enjoyment from the stuff. In fact, most of the stuff will have stopped being used anyway.

A lot of people have put time and money into businesses in SL. If they walk away, their income from the businesses will stop. That's not a problem for any of them. They've made money from their businesses so it's all good. If they want to continue making money that way, they'll be able to set up in the new world and continue.

So all-in-all, nobody will lose anything when a better alternative to SL comes along in 2 or 3 years time.

What I want to ask those who have a negative view of LL producing SL2 is this. Knowing that something much better than SL will come along sooner or later, and draw the bulk of this population to it, why do you want LL to not be the company that produces it? If another company does it, we'll go because we want the best for ourselves, and LL and SL will go into decline until it closes down. Bear in mind that the very best chance we have of taking anything at all from SL to the new world is if it's LL that produces the new world. So why don't you want LL to be the company that produces the new world?

We all need to think straight, and stop thinking so much about ourselves. A much better new world will come along sooner or later, and SL will be too old hat for us by comparison. It's going to happen, so, if we have any good thoughts about LL for producing SL for us to enjoy for so long, and so cheaply, wish them well with producing the new world before someone else beats them to it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes LL needs to remain leader but only from their perspective. The user can just go to the latest and greatest, it doesn't have to be a product of LL.

My view is that it doesn't have to drag along legacy compatibility but it is potentially commercial suicide to NOT empower your existing user base by providing a migration route.

That could include texture and sound migration, script migration via a cross compiler. Maybe an LSL emulation layer for interim products, land swap and so on. (Without new upload costs)

If they want a virgin platform, that's fine too but then they are competing on an open market for a user community and after all the screw ups that some have suffered, loyalty doesn't go far.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Yes LL needs to remain leader but only from their perspective. The user can just go to the latest and greatest, it doesn't have to be a product of LL.

My view is that it doesn't have to drag along legacy compatibility but it is potentially commercial suicide to NOT empower your existing user base by providing a migration route.

That could include texture and sound migration, script migration via a cross compiler. Maybe an LSL emulation layer for interim products, land swap and so on. (Without new upload costs)

If they want a virgin platform, that's fine too but then they are competing on an open market for a user community and after all the screw ups that some have suffered, loyalty doesn't go far.

LL gave us SL for all these years, and we've all enjoyed it for years - and such cheap enjoyment too. Yet some people want LL to sit back while another company comes up with the next generation and draws us all, including those people, away - and that is incredibly selfish. For the enjoyment that we've had from SL, nobody should even suggest that LL leaves the next generation to other people.

The CEO said that some stuff will go across. He doesn't know what yet and neither do we. So it's not going to be "a virgin platform". But even if that's what it turns out to be, how seflish a mind is it that begrudges that to LL, just so it doesn't eventually have to walk away from some of the money that it spent on its own personal enjoyment in SL?

Incidentally, I posted somewhere that LL might come up with a way to convert LSL scripts to whatever language is used in SL2. I hope they do that but it's not of paramount importance.

WHAT THE COMMUNITY WANTS !!

Each Year the Second Life Community celebrates the birthday of the Second Life Virtual World. This years event (SL11B) was conducted from June 22 - 29, 2014. The Theme was "The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
an opportunity to look forward; to imagine where we are headed..
  Supporting that forward looking theme I created an exhibit that allowed visitors to "vote" for changes they would like to see. The subjects were chosen based on informal discussions with other Avatars as well as ideas submitted at the exhibit.
   Below are the results of that two week survey. I recorded ~500 visitors and 1,690 votes. I perceive the results as positive, the top vote getter was "I Love Second Life". The remainder of the votes say "give us more and better".

GeeJAnn Blackadder (Gee)

VOTES    ... NAME ...
152       I Love Second Life
132       Land Costs
131       NO LAG
121       Inventory Management Tools
120       More Prims per Sim
117       Inventory Backup System
93         Join More Groups
88          Improve Control of Griefers
85        Folders in Boxes
85        Improve Build Tools
81        Avatar Last Name
74         Control Content Theft
70         Avatar Appearance
54        Clothing Management
53         System AO
52         New LL Avatar Body
50         Intellectual Property Rights
47         Improve Media Tools
45        Better L$ Exchange Rate
41        Second Life 2.0
36         Land Zoning
32         More Profile Picks
15         Permanent Under Garments
Stations 23, Votes 1690.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

There's no reason not to use both platforms. The new world will be new and exciting to explore to see whats new, and the old one familiar and filed with the things we all ready own.  I see it like going on vacation then comming back home.

That is how i see it..getting new different world without losing the old world..

LL are expanding to different areas..They already have 3 other products up other than second life..

It is not uncommon for a company like LL to dive into different areas..

I keep hearing people saying SL2..In the spirit of ,can be something like Blizzards WoW and Blizzards Star Craft.

Same company different worlds..

The name SL2 makes people think SL2, when there has been good indication that it is not SL2 but something new that will have similarities in it but will be a different world..

I just think the term SL2 is sending the wrong idea.

Don't mind if it is a totally blank canvas (selfish mind indeed) but if some of

my stuff transfers even better:) Else can flog it off somewhere I'm sure..

If not lets see -

mesh (as long as theres Blender or similar) check

textures (as long as theres the Gimp or similar) check

scripts - please if there is going to be a new script language let us know early so we can get

up to speed. I will even polish up my rusty c sharp or (shudders) python if needed. A brand new

one (at least new to me) would be even more fun:)

Oh and yadda yadda social side of course...think that covers the lot

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

LL
gave us

CHARGED US FOR
SL for all these years, and we've all enjoyed it
AND PAID FOR IT
for years - and such cheap (
RELATIVE TO INCOME AND EXPENDITURE
)  enjoyment too. Yet some people want LL to sit back while another company comes up with the next generation and draws us all, including those people, away - and that is incredibly selfish. For the enjoyment that we've had from SL, nobody should even suggest that LL leaves the next generation to other people.

I fixed a few things there Phil, remember, LL didn't "give" us anything, the customer paid for it, the same customer will choose the most appropriate next platform.  People are fickle, one wrong move and the company dies while another start up makes something even more shiny.

That's all i'm saying, the user base cannot be assumed to simply all use the new platform just because we use SL.  If there's no compelling reason compared with others in 2 or 3 years or whenever and the others are better, so be it.

Sensible thinking would be working really hard on tempting reasons to use whatever LL comes up with as a future platform and not just saying "blank canvas".  If that's the case fine, just don't expect an instant user base if there's something more compelling.

As for selfish?  LL is a profit making organisation, it's up to them to make the right moves, along with everyone else, i'm just a customer, i'll pay for whatever suits me best.  When LL pay me to be a customer or even stop making monumental **bleep** ups that impact me for no reason, then my mood may change.  I don't see that happening.

This is your own personal costs/benefits analysis.  It is how you see things as they apply to you.

Personally speaking, I am looking forward to the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

But just because our personal costs/benefits analysis says it's a good thing for us that still does not give me a right to impose my personal situation, because that is really what it is, a personal situation, upon some one else.

I do believe that in the long run people will find that the benefits are going to out weigh the losses.  But that does not mean that there will not be any losses as you are trying to claim.

(I had the same bicycle for almost 20 years in RL until someone stole it.  I certainly got my "money's worth" out of it.  From that perspective you could say I didn't lose anything.  But from my perspective I lost future enjoyment from it.)

eta:clarity

I agree there will be losses, but they should be expected losses.  That's the thing with pixel possessions, when the power is cut, they are no more.  You cannot expect the power to stay on forever.  SL has already outlasted many predictions of gloom and doom, and it will probably weather this one as well, but not indefinitely.

Perrie Juran wrote:

This is your own personal costs/benefits analysis.  It is how you see things as they apply to you.

It's how I see things as they apply to everyone, Perrie. People only spend money in SL for pleasure/enjoyment or for business. There are at least 2 more years of SL, and probably quite a bit longer. When SL closes, everyone will have been paid in full, and more, for whatever money they've spent on pleasure up to now. It's the same with business costs. When SL closes, those who have made profits have gained, and those who break even or run at a small loss will have been happily putting money in for the pleasure they get from it, so none of them will lose if/when they have to walk away..

Personally speaking, I am looking forward to the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

Me too (if I'm still using SL by then).

But just because our personal costs/benefits analysis says it's a good thing for us that still does not give me a right to impose my personal situation, because that is really what it is, a personal situation, upon some one else.

I don't know what you mean by that. LL will impose something on us if they close SL down. Other than that, I don't see anyone imposing anything on anyone. I know that some people will probably not like having to stop doing what they are doing in SL, either because the majority of this population goes elsewhere, or because LL closes SL, but I didn't say anything about people not liking it. I only talked about the necessity for LL to develope SL2, and how none of this population will lose the money they've put into SL, when SL eventually closes.

I do believe that in the long run people will find that the benefits are going to out weigh the losses.  But that does not mean that there will not be any losses as you are trying to claim.

I think it does mean that there'll be no losses, and I explained why - no financial losses is what I wrote about, and that's what I mean here.

I know one person who spends ~$US200 in SL every month - on enjoying SL. Over the years she's put thousands in. But every month she gets the enjoyment that she happily pays for for that month. She won't lose a cent if SL closes tomorrow.

(I had the same bicycle for almost 20 years in RL until someone stole it.  I certainly got my "money's worth" out of it.  From that perspective you could say I didn't lose anything.  But from my perspective I lost future enjoyment from it.)

That's true. And it's true that people will lose any future use of what they bought in SL But I haven't mentioned the idea of losing the future use of things. I've only talked about the loss of money that's been put in. In the case of your hypothetical bike, you got a lot more than your money's worth out of it. Yes, people will regret not having continued use of a few of the things they paid for. Of the tens of thousands of items in people's inventories, only a relative few continue to be used, and most of those are the more recent purchases, and we have at least 2 years to get plenty use out of them.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

LL
gave us

CHARGED US FOR
AND PAID FOR IT
)  enjoyment too. Yet some people want LL to sit back while another company comes up with the next generation and draws us all, including those people, away - and that is incredibly selfish. For the enjoyment that we've had from SL, nobody should even suggest that LL leaves the next generation to other people.

I fixed a few things there Phil, remember, LL didn't "give" us anything, the customer paid for it

LL gave the system; i.e. it can be used completely for free. Nobody has to pay anything to anyone. Nobody need put real money into it for anything. Your "fixes" were uninformed and rather silly.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

LL
gave us

CHARGED US FOR
AND PAID FOR IT

I fixed a few things there Phil, remember, LL didn't "give" us anything, the customer paid for it

LL
gave
the system; i.e. it can be used completely for free. Nobody has to pay anything to anyone. Nobody need put real money into it for anything. Your "fixes" were uninformed and rather silly.

Well I'm not claiming to know Sassy's intent in her changes, but Phil - Second Life is only free today because manymany people paid while the economy fired up. Second Life was pay-to-enter only until 2006, and (although accurate financial numbers are unreachable), the service wouldn't have made it to the free-to-play point without the hefty contributions made by the Lifetime members. It's only been given to us because other people footed the bill - and we should thank those early residents (and those who continue to pay) for that.

It would be entirely disingenuous to say that LL offer Second Life out of the goodness of their heart - but I doubt you're being that obtuse.

FWIW, I'm with Perrie on this - I'm glad you're not too torn up about the potential losses, but you don't have enough information to know that everyone else is in the same boat as you. Sweeping statements and perspectives-as-facts are likely to do more harm than good at this point.

Though I'm hardly surprised. :P

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Well I'm not claiming to know Sassy's intent in her changes, but Phil - Second Life is only free today because manymany people paid while the economy fired up. Second Life was
pay-to-enter only
until 2006, and (although accurate financial numbers are unreachable), the service wouldn't have made it to that point without the hefty contributions made by the
Lifetime
members. It's only been
given
to us because
other people
footed the bill - and we should thank those early residents (and those who continue to pay) for that.

Sassy didn't join until 2008, so she never knew the original time when people had to pay. I joined in 2006 and it was free then. So I think it's fair to say that nobody has to pay anything to anyone.

It would be entirely disingenuous to say that LL offer Second Life out of the goodness of their heart - but I doubt you're being that obtuse.

When I said "gave", I didn't actually mean as a gift. I meant made available. But Sassy got sassy about the word, so I replied to her accordingly.

FWIW, I'm with Perrie on this - I'm glad you're not too torn up about the potential losses, but you don't have enough information to know that everyone else is in the same boat as you. Sweeping statements and perspectives-as-facts are likely to do more harm than good at this point.

I won't even have any potential losses. One reason is that my intention for the last few years has been to wind down my involvement with SL. It's quite possible i won't even be using the thing when the new thing comes out, but I think I will - I do want to see what LL comes up with, and I do have friends here. Another reason is that I've put peanuts into SL, right at the start, and taken tens of thousands of US$ out.

But I wasn't viewing things from my own perspective when I started this thread. I'm only viewing them from a logical/common sense perspective. In another thread someone with a positive view about SL2 commented that she would be going right along with it "
unless something better appears that draws me away
". That comment hit the nail right on the head. Even someone with the most positive view - really looking forward to it, etc. - would be drawn away from SL by something better.
It really showed that we would all be drawn away from LL's offering by something better, which, in turn, means that, from their perspective, LL *has* to be the company that produces the something better or, sooner or later, they will lose.

I can fully understand people, including me, being anything from slightly disappointed to "torn up", as you put it, if and when they have to say goodbye to their stuff. Everyone knew that it would happen sooner or later, and we all accepted  it when we put time and money in. What I've said, though, is that it won't be a financial loss, as in not being out of pocket, and I've explained why. Of course, incomes that stop dead can be considered as losses, but not out of pocket losses. As of right now, nobody will be out of pocket if and when they have to leave their stuff behind 2 or more years in the future.

Though I'm hardly surprised.
:P

Phil, does LL run at a loss by providing SL? If they do, then they are indeed giving it to us.

Last I was aware, LL make a profit, in my world, that is selling the service, the customer pays. The fact that some residents log in and pay nothing does not mean that LL gives us SL, it means that other residents are paying. It's not that hard to followus it?

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy didn't join until 2008, so she never knew the original time when people had to pay. I joined in 2006 and it was free then.
So I think it's fair to say that nobody has to pay anything to anyone.

This strikes me as a very poor application of common sense. It's not necessary to have been a member at the time in order to have benefitted from the economic boom that was created.

LL have made no secret that lifespan and profitability are instrinsically linked. If profit reduced to zero tomorrow, do you think the Lab would honour the two year grace period? Someone needs to pay if we want to maintain this timeline, it just won't be you (not judgin', just sayin').

It's very strange for you to decide that Lifetime members have had 'enough', and say that no-one will lose out financially. Are you therefore assuming that anyone paying Annual Premium will be refunded the outstanding balance when the curtain falls? Will we all get our USD balances (unpaid tier) returned? At what point should content development cease to prevent wasted investment in time or money for things that can't be sold?

I don't think this is as clear as your minimal use-case of Second Life suggests.

(Sorry, I originally added this as an Edit to my post above, before realising you'd already replied. I'm running around a lot today, patience appreciated!)

Sassy Romano wrote:

Phil, does LL run at a loss by providing SL? If they do, then they are indeed giving it to us.

Last I was aware, LL make a profit, in my world, that is selling the service, the customer pays. The fact that some residents log in and pay nothing does not mean that LL gives us SL, it means that other residents are paying. It's not that hard to followus it?

Sassy. LL makes a profit from running SL. You are getting mixed up. I said that nobody has to pay anything to anyone to use SL, and I'll add, to acquire nice stuff. That's a fact. You can argue if you like, but it won't change the fact.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy didn't join until 2008, so she never knew the original time when people had to pay. I joined in 2006 and it was free then.
So I think it's fair to say that nobody has to pay anything to anyone.

This strikes me as a very poor application of common sense. It's not necessary to have been a member at the time in order to have benefitted from the economic boom that was created.

If some people don't put money in, SL would sink. That goes without saying. But no individual has to pay anything at all.

LL have made no secret that lifespan and profitability are instrinsically linked.
If profit reduced to zero tomorrow, do you think the Lab would honour the two year grace period? 
Someone needs to pay if we want to maintain this timeline, it just won't be you (not judgin', just sayin').

It's very strange for you to decide that Lifetime members have had 'enough', and say that no-one will lose out financially. Are you therefore assuming that anyone paying Annual Premium will be refunded the outstanding balance? Will we all get our USD balances (unpaid tier) returned? At what point should content development cease to prevent wasted investment in time or money for things that can't be sold?

I don't think this is as clear as your minimal use-case of Second Life suggests.

(Sorry, I originally added this as an Edit to my post above, before realising you'd already replied. I'm running around a lot today, patience appreciated!)

But we're getting away from the topic of this thread. Sassy can argue all she like but the fact remains that, as of right now, nobody will lose anything (out of pocket) if and when SL closes 2 or more years in the future. That's the topic of the thread so argue that if you like.

It's not madness. I good old fashioned common sense. However, if you can give me an example of someone who will actually lose out-of-pocket money if and when SL shuts down 2+ years from now, please do. I say there is no such example, but I'll admit to being wrong if you can show one.

Phil Deakins wrote:

It's not madness. I good old fashioned common sense. However, if you can give me an example of someone who will actually lose out-of-pocket money if and when SL shuts down 2+ years from now, please do. I say there is no such example, but I'll admit to being wrong if you can show one.

I have paid hundreds of USD for mesh templates over the years.. Have I made my investment back? No. So if LL closed tomorrow (or even two years from now) I would indeed lose out of pocket money.

Waiting for your admission on being wrong now...

Oh wait, you will tell me I got enjoyment out of making  and not selling all of those items.. so I am not out anything.. See, when you generalize you make assumptions.. We all know what happens when you AssUme anything, right?

That's some admission, Drake. You kept on spending on mesh templates for years without making any profits? You weren't making anything and yet you kept on spending? Nobody does that so, either you haven't been entirely honest here or you did get your "hundreds of dollars" worth of enjoyment out of doing it through the years and you won't lose anything financially. Perhaps you'd like to go into more detail, because keeping on spending on something, intending it to be profitable but isn't, isn't plausible.

If you've put that up as an example of someone who will lose out financially if and when the end comes, you failed. If you've been entirely honest, you put money into a business that failed. That's your doing and nothing to do with SL eventually closing down.

Not to worry though. You still have at least 2 more years to get what you spent on mesh templates back lol

Phil Deakins wrote:

That's some admission, Drake. You kept on spending on mesh templates for years without making any profits? You weren't making anything and yet you kept on spending? Nobody does that so, either you haven't been entirely honest here or you did get your "hundreds of dollars" worth of enjoyment out of doing it through the years and you won't lose anything financially. Perhaps you'd like to go into more detail, because keeping on spending on something, intending it to be profitable but isn't, isn't plausible.

If you've put that up as an example of someone who will lose out financially if and when the end comes, you failed. If you've been entirely honest, you put money into a business that failed. That's your doing and nothing to do with SL eventually closing down.

Not to worry though. You still have at least 2 more years to get what you spent on mesh templates back lol

Thank you for calling me a liar.. I knew you would do that. You are such a pompous **bleep**. No ones thoughts matter but your own. No one else has any input, you are always right, we are all idiots and should bask in your glory and intellect. Go F**k  yourself. It's all a big joke to you. No one could possibly think they make eventually make anything of themselves in SL. Just quit and give up if you don't succeed from the get go. Pompous piece of dog crap. All you do is put people down. If their thoughts are different from yours you do nothing but put them down. Try listening for a change and open your tiny little mind. You are not the be all and end all of things in SL. Your words are not the gospel you seem to think they are. They are your tiny little opinion.

If you bought something in SL, like a template, and can not use it in the other platform and they close SL, then you have indeed lost money, as you now own something that cant be used anymore.. Does that make any common sense?

You first paragraph is what I'd expect from you - no reasoned discussion - just insults. And I didn't call you a liar. I said that either you weren't entirely honest (which would make you a liar) ORr you got your money's worth, which wouldn't make you a liar. It was an either-or statement. English is your friend ;)

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

If you bought something in SL, like a template, and can not use it in the other platform and they close SL, then you have indeed lost money, as you now own something that cant be used anymore.. Does that make any common sense?

No you haven't lost your money, and no it doesn't make sense in this context. You bought it through the years, you used it through the years, you had pleasure from it through the years, and you enjoyed it though the years - all that use, pleasure and enjoyment through the years. When the time come that you can no longer use it that's where your money went - all used up in all that use, pleasure and enjoyment. Lots and lots of money's worth - through the years :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.