"Best in ...." contests, what a farce

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whats the idea behind these lame contests if no one is going to vote for you even if you are the best dressed  contestant be it themed or come as you are, apparently there are arrangements, I did not even know of this till i started geting IM's recently asking I have such an arrangement to vote for someone, if not then the messenger will vote for me and appreciate it if I vote for them even if they are not dresed well enough to be considered to vote for, so you will have a noob avi in freebie crap shorts and boob tube being voted for by a friend while somone looking like a doll in all her paid finery wont get any.

When you point it out to hosts the come up with even lamer relies.

bebejee wrote:

Whats the idea behind these lame contests if no one is going to vote for you even if you are the best dressed  contestant be it themed or come as you are, apparently there are arrangements, I did not even know of this till i started geting IM's recently asking I have such an arrangement to vote for someone, if not then the messenger will vote for me and appreciate it if I vote for them even if they are not dresed well enough to be considered to vote for, so you will have a noob avi in freebie crap shorts and boob tube being voted for by a friend while somone looking like a doll in all her paid finery wont get any.

When you point it out to hosts the come up with even lamer relies.

The reason for the contests is to build and/or to maintain traffic.

Other than that most places don't care one bit what else happens.

They're popularity contests for the most part, at least at clubs with established clientele, though I've won quite a few and I'm far from the most popular person, generally... :matte-motes-evil:

Of course, then there are people who chase contests and will TP all of their friends in to a club that they've never been to, to vote for them. Those are fun for the dramahz.

I have voted for total strangers some of them quite badly dressed but still better than the others around so I chose to favour what was the best amongst the lot, but when you are dressed extremely well amongst the only other contestents numbering less than five and no one votes for you despite the obvious its really unfair, I mean no one had the conscience, or taste LOL! or fairness in them to do so? the lindens paid out at times are quite paltry so not an issue, but its about doing the right thing.

bebejee wrote:

I have voted for total strangers some of them quite badly dressed but still better than the others around so I chose to favour what was the best amongst the lot, but when you are dressed extremely well amongst the only other contestents numbering less than five and no one votes for you despite the obvious its really unfair, I mean no one had the conscience, or taste LOL! or fairness in them to do so? the lindens paid out at times are quite paltry so not an issue, but its about doing the right thing.

Even without collusion this kind of thing can easily happen. No-one votes for the best competitor, because they would effectively be voting against themself. 

"No-one votes for the best competitor"

I have more than once and told them so after the event and why, also had the same happen to me. But in general it`s mostly friends voting for friends, which I`ve done occasionaly but only if they look good. Although I totally agree with you bebejee it`s only a few L$ and a bit of fun and nothings gonna change.

People who TP alts in 10 minutes before voting, that`s just sad!!...shame on you.

Whoever is paying the prize money and is having the contests gets to set the rules, there is no oversight to contests beyond this. You can generally click on the contest board to get the rules if you want them.

It isn't against the rules in most places for arrangements to vote for someone in return for a vote from them.

Contests can also be popularity contests as other's have said with friends voting for friends.  There are even large groups of people that go from one contest to the next all voting for one person they agree on ahead of time, then move to another contest where someone else gets to be the winner, thus making sure everyone wins some L"s.

Some TP in a lot of people at the last minute to vote for them, although some clubs will disqualify someone that does this.

Then there are contests that are fixed with the owner's alts voting for another alt to win, or a friend of the owner who agrees to return the money to the owner.  This is unethical IMO, but it happens.

Some people do vote for who in their opinion should win based on what they are wearing, but their opinion may not match yours that you are the best dressed.

I dislike contests personally and try to avoid places run them all the time and rely on them to attact people.  Occasional contests are ok for special occasions, and i may enter just for fun and i have won a number of them, but I don't worry if I don't win since i'm doing it for the fun of dressing up not to win.  You should try to adopt the same attitude.  You'll enjoy your SL more.

bebejee wrote:

Cant the sim hosts judge the best themselves, why do the biased contestants get to vote?

You'll have to ask them. Unless they're massively ignorant and/or naïve, they HAVE to know that these are pretty much “contests about who has the most friends willing to vote for them”, regardless of the purported theme of the contest.

And as some here said, more than a few won't actually care one damn bit about bias or rigged results, as long as it drives traffic in; these will be the least likely to deign answering you at all.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Occasional contests are ok for special occasions, and i may enter just for fun and i have won a number of them, but I don't worry if I don't win since i'm doing it for the fun of dressing up not to win.  You should try to adopt the same attitude.  You'll enjoy your SL more.

The club where I DJ has a theme night once a week. It's almost always the best-attended event we run, and while it is themed, it's not a competition*. Costumes and outfits aren't judged** and no-one gets a prize. People dress up for the fun of it, or the challenge of putting together something in theme. I believe a lot of people like to have a theme to dress to. On other nights when then the dress code is 'come as you are' or 'wear what you like' they've joked that it's harder to choose what to wear without a theme.

*While it's not formally a competition, I'm sure that some people are incredibly competitive and would hate to be seen in anything but the best outfit.

**Likewise for judging; there are no votes, but I bet there's a lot of silent judging going on nevertheless.

bebejee wrote:

Cant the sim hosts judge the best themselves, why do the biased contestants get to vote?

If the club host chooses, they might just pick an undercover staff-member or friend who'd pay the money straight back. I've been places where there were accusations of that happening. Much drama. Club hosts and sim managers are no less likely to be biased than the competitors.

Kelli May wrote:

bebejee wrote:

If the club host chooses, they might just pick an undercover staff-member or friend who'd pay the money straight back. I've been places where there were accusations of that happening. Much drama. Club hosts and sim managers are no less likely to be biased than the competitors.

On the other hand you have clubs who do their best, to keep it fair, but get guests who are always seeing fraud and misjudgement in every corner (of course only if they do not win). I once was joining a contest and won and after that some lady send me an angry IM that she does not like my costume and therefore I could not have won with fair methods and she will report me to the club owner. :catlol:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

bebejee wrote:

On the other hand you have clubs who do their best, to keep it fair, but get guests who are always seeing fraud and misjudgement in every corner (of course only if they do not win). I once was joining a contest and won and after that some lady send me an angry IM that she does not like my costume and therefore I could not have won with fair methods and she will report me to the club owner. :catlol:

I agree; it's a total minefield. The place I mentioned with the drama about hosts picking a staff-member as winner? That was just an accusation by a (losing) competitor. I don't think there was any proof it had happened but it was still an enormous drama bomb that errupted out of IM into an argument between a dozen customers and staff. For all I know the hosts were entirely on the level and all it took was one suspicious loser. Like you say, the winners never accuse anyone of favouritism or vote-rigging.

I've won a few such contests. One was a Pimps and Whores thing, and I went in my every day clothes. The owner gave me a huge pimp's hat and a cane. And I won the male prize lol

Another was a best in pink, so I donned some girly pink lingerie and I won the male prize - I was the only male. In fact, I think they decided to have a male prize because of me being there in pink lingerie :)

So you have to pick the contests you enter very carefully lol.

Generally, many of these contents are clique based, but at times a good outfit and a witty reparte can influence votes in your favour. But consider that, at the heart, most of these contents are designed to attract newcomers to a locale, and only one person can win. Do you reward your regulars? Do you allow a free-for-all vote which might just end up a popularity contest? How do you control other's people's choices in a vote process? What's to stop them from bringing in alts, locking them into a dance together, and voting on the behalf of the prime account?

You can't. So just shrug and don't worry about it, and don't contribute Lindens to a contest that might be rigged / unfair. That's always the best option. I go to them, when I do, because a friend is going, and it's a good place to meet new people. If I win (never), I've won. It's more important, to me, that I had fun. 

But I agree. The winners, at times, have crappy outfits on, and lackluster AVs they haven't changed since 2008. It just proves that even in SL, beauty is only skin deep.

SaraCarena wrote:

People who TP alts in 10 minutes before voting, that`s just sad!!...shame on you. 

Objection - if you can get away with it, that makes infinitely more sense to me than actually sitting out two hours of said event (which, seeing as the manager is depending on a contest to bring in punters, will inevitably mean bland-to-painful music and chat). 

Many of these contests are complete scams anyway. I used to know a hostess at a now-defunct neko-themed club who would override the board votes if she happened to dislike the actual winner, or just select somebody else at random "for the hell of it". Don't think the owner batted an eyelid. 

In the last year or so everytime I'm in a club with a contest going somebody will IM me asking to be voting partners...

"Back in my day", when we had to vote both ways in the snow... the places I went to didn't split the money. The top vote won. If there was a tie it would split in some places, pick one at others.

As a result it got more "interesting"...

When I was a younger wipper-snapper of an AV, it "seemed" honest in some places and I won a few contests with my nooby attempts as a good getup. Back then, half the freebies looked better than the paid for stuff anyway... so a smarter freeber-shopper could look good.

But I noticed that some places started having a lot of people show up near vote time... and then I started getting friends who would teleport messages on me, and I'd arrive, and there'd be a board somewhere with their name on it...

So I figured out over time that the thing was a scam or had become a scam... from the POV of the contestant.

A number of places tried to "clean up the scene" and a number still do... but the efforts only go so far...

And others are right - the real point of it is just to drive traffic.

A lot of club seems to be lacking a "mission"...

They do events and contests to drive traffic...

And to what end? To get yet more traffic. But again to what end?

Certainly not to drive sales for their malls - which tend to be off to side but also in the way when you first land, often look garrish, and tend to have yesterday's styles...

The malls are there to pay for the club... but what is the club there for?

I'm not convinced its there to entertain us. Not in the contest clubs - those tend to have near AFK staff, a so-called DJ playing an iTunes stream (or in some... caught radio-streaming when advertising interrupts the music). The "Host" is usually running a chat-bot system and gives canned greetings... and the guest use 'gesturebation' to cheer on music with leet-speak...

If the noobs are just there for the payout every 2 hours... why is the club there to pay them?

Its a whole different angle at the "we don't do no stinking contests" clubs...

Because no one is there to be the "best in Vote for me", and the club isn't trying to drive traffic in a mad dash for every event...

Something really freaky scary happens...

People talk. The freaks actually socialize.

- If the "best in vote for me" is getting you down... look for clubs with no contest board, fewer people will be there, but they might be friendlier...

Instead of trying to win 63L every 2 hours, you might make some actual friends...

And then you can take your friends to the third type fo club... the live music places... these have funky amatuer music by "omg lame old people with guitars" who act all friendly-like and get all up in your business forcing you to have fun hearing them and talking to everyone...

And sometimes they say high to you in audio over the stream, and not with a chat bot...

And then they put out a tipjar... and you actually want to tip them...

Kelli May wrote:

The club where I DJ has a theme night once a week. It's almost always the best-attended event we run, and while it is themed, it's not a competition*. Costumes and outfits aren't judged** and no-one gets a prize. 
People dress up for the fun of it, or the challenge of putting together something in theme. I believe a lot of people like to have a theme to dress to. On other nights when then the dress code is 'come as you are' or 'wear what you like' they've joked that it's harder to choose what to wear without a theme.

That's the way to do it. A theme with no prize on the line - so it becomes entertainment rather than a form of 'camping'. I used to go a few places like this and they were always a LOT of fun.

And when there's no "contest prize" the funny thing is... MORE people are likely to try and get in theme... because they're doing it to entertain themselves and each other. When there's a prize, they just IM each other to be 'vote buddies'...

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

The malls are there to pay for the club... but what is the club there for? 

That's an easy one to answer. Many years ago (pre-internet), a teenager wanted my help to start up a forum. I asked him why he wanted a forum. His reply was words to the effect of, "To be in charge". That's the reason why most clubs are started in SL. The owner wants to be the one in charge of a club. Perhaps a few do it so that people can be entertained in ways that other clubs don't do - a different angle, such as jazz ot ballroom, for instance - but, from what I've seen, most clubs tend to be pretty much the same - when you've seen one, you've seen them all. I have no supporting evidence, of course, but I really don't think I'm mistaken.

I have won the occasional prize over the years but the contest scene shouldn't be taken too seriously.

As others have said, some people make voting arrangements.  I've even been instructed like "u vote me, I tell u vote me why u not say u vote me" sort of thing. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Then, also well known that people TP alts in to vote for them - but of course it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that club owners can plant their own alts as a means of keeping the winnings.

But even if people don't use alts or voting arrangements, there's still a big flaw in contests - if you want to win best in red, you're not helping your chances by voting for someone else you think is best in red, are you? :matte-motes-big-grin:

I have occasionally entered these contests and even won some, to my surprise. But winning isn't my goal. If there's good conversation I will stay. If there isn't, I leave before the end anyway.

I do notice that nine times outof ten the winner is the worst-dressed or someone not in theme at all. Clearly all the other contestants are voting for that one person thinking no-one else will, thus giving them a better chance. But all the other contestants are doing the same thing.

I wish I could find more themed events without prizes. I would prefer that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.